LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Need to replace both shock + actuator on rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 01:38 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Need to replace both shock + actuator on rear

Just received a call from the Lexus dealership quoting me 4000$ to replace both shock and 2 suspensions actuators regarding my suspension problem (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-absorber.html). The shock don't leak or anything but apparently there was a defect with those part on earlier ls600 and 460. There is also a service bulletin for that (3091 I think) and all 4 parts are replaced with parts with different numbers. Apparently this also address the uneven suspension height on the rear. Car is not on warranty anymore, I asked the dealership if Lexus corporate could show some good will since this is my second ls600hl and the car just passed the 45k miles mark (and obviously this point to a defect). Gotta admit, my faint in Lexus reliability is pretty shaken.

Part numbers that need to be replaced:
89241-30041 x2
48080-50202 x2

Edit: Just found the bulletin, it's seems that it's specifically aimed at the Canadian market (although a similar one with different number is probably aimed at the us). Here is some details:

Bulletin
L-TCI-3091

Issue Date
December 22, 2011

Market
Canada

Title
AIR SPRING RATTLE NOISE

Service Category
Suspension

Section
Front Suspension (front + rear on certain production model and rear only for some other)

APPLICABILITY:
INTRODUCTION:
Some 2007 - 2011 LS460/460L and 2008 - 2011 LS600hl model year vehicles may exhibit a knocking type noise when going over bumps. This may be accompanied by a rough ride condition. Follow the Repair Procedure in this bulletin to address this condition.

Last edited by Vansibel; 05-20-15 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 01:48 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Lexus HQ did ok by me. My car is an 07 and the car has had issues with the rear suspension making noise. They replaced a rear shock but that wasnt it. I found a TSIB that mentioned the noise, and upon inspection the dealership feels this is it. Cost is about 1300. Called Lexus HQ and they will cover the label if I buy the 200 part. So they are covering 1100. I am ok with that. Give them a chance and be polite and patient. Hope it works out for you
Old 05-20-15, 01:59 PM
Chuckwagon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm looking into doing the same repair on my 460L. I will not be getting the work done at the dealer though. They want essentially $1500 per side just for the parts. (1 cylinder and 1 actuator for each side) Then they want to stack another $1000 on for labor? 4 hours per side? Really? No thanks. I'll find parts online and have an independent do the labor, or do it myself if I get the time.

The rattle noise TSIB is L-SB-0138-11 I believe. Google it and you should find a pdf describing it.

Charles
Old 05-20-15, 02:44 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Lexus of South Atlanta has great OEM prices. Few other websites out there as well.

Just checked their prices.

$973 each for the air-shocks
$170 each for the actuators

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com
Old 05-20-15, 03:12 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Lexus of South Atlanta has great OEM prices. Few other websites out there as well.

+1, very close if not same (depending on part) to the old Sewell Lexus online CL forum prices. Check parts.com also for comparsion
Old 05-20-15, 03:13 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo

Conversion rate right now with the can dollar is not that good, adding the shipping cost to that and the price for the part is not really lower than the dealer. Thanks for the input though. As unusual as it might sound, the shipping cost is usually lower if I order the part directly from japan. Actuator is only 102$ if ordered directly from japan.

Last edited by Vansibel; 05-20-15 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-21-15, 02:15 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by greg3852
Lexus HQ did ok by me. My car is an 07 and the car has had issues with the rear suspension making noise. They replaced a rear shock but that wasnt it. I found a TSIB that mentioned the noise, and upon inspection the dealership feels this is it. Cost is about 1300. Called Lexus HQ and they will cover the label if I buy the 200 part. So they are covering 1100. I am ok with that. Give them a chance and be polite and patient. Hope it works out for you
So if I understand correctly, you called them even if your car was out of warranty and they absorbed 85% of the cost ? Seems to me that this is more than "ok" and you got a pretty good deal. How did you actually approached Lexus HQ with something like this (I'm guessing in Canada it would be Lexus Canada) ? Some earlier LS seemed to have defective suspension, and a new revision was made for those part as notified in the service bulletin. I'm willing to absorb a part of the cost but wouldn't it make sense if Lexus would recognize this problem and offer to at least lower the inflated price on those shocks to address the situation ? I certainly would like to buy another ls someday, but if this is a sneak peek of things to come it would make sense reconsidering.
Old 05-21-15, 02:41 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Amazon.com: Lexus 48080-50202, Shock Absorber: Automotive Amazon.com: Lexus 48080-50202, Shock Absorber: Automotive
Old 05-21-15, 03:02 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Like I said I'm in Canada, with the exchange rate + shipping to Canada those shocks are not cheaper that the price the dealer gave me. Thanks for the link though. I could probably save a few hundreds by doing to an independent, but I don't mind paying a bit more at the dealership. At this point the difference is not that great. There just no escape for those shocks, beside some shaddy Chinese alibaba knockoff only Lexus make them.
Old 05-22-15, 04:34 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
So if I understand correctly, you called them even if your car was out of warranty and they absorbed 85% of the cost ? Seems to me that this is more than "ok" and you got a pretty good deal. How did you actually approached Lexus HQ with something like this (I'm guessing in Canada it would be Lexus Canada) ? Some earlier LS seemed to have defective suspension, and a new revision was made for those part as notified in the service bulletin. I'm willing to absorb a part of the cost but wouldn't it make sense if Lexus would recognize this problem and offer to at least lower the inflated price on those shocks to address the situation ? I certainly would like to buy another ls someday, but if this is a sneak peek of things to come it would make sense reconsidering.
This was a month ago, so my car is now 8 years old. I explained to them that I had been trying to get this fixed for a while now and since the car had such low mileage when I started experiencing the issue, it had to be a manufacturing defect or early failure. I also explained the fact that this was a 460 and the amount of money and it should be their flagship etc...... But being calm and rational is probably the biggest thing. They will help a customer who is polite, I doubt I would have gotten the same treatment if I called and was rude.

Yes I'm very happy with that. My car is an 07 with 67k miles so they didn't have to do anything for me. But they did. So I did pretty well.

I also explained about the TSIB and how this was a known issue too.

Last edited by greg3852; 05-22-15 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-22-15, 12:22 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Just finished speaking with Lexus Canada, made it clear that I didn't wanted them to do the work for free but just working together to get it sorted. There was a revision in the part as per the service bulletin that point to a problem with the one they put in the car while it was being made. Was being polite and kept my composure even when they declined any offer to assist. Tech also warn me that the shock in front and upper control arm on the front wheel are about to go. I'm looking at over 10k in repair. Fair warning for those wanting to buy those car used. I think extended warranty don't cover the shock either am I correct ? So even with a warranty you might not be protected against those kind of failure.
Old 05-22-15, 02:17 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

That's unfortunate. I'd call again and try and talk with someone different... Especially if you can get someone a bit higher up.

My extended warranty doesn't cover shock absorbers or air (strut) bags. I'm not sure if other extended warranties would cover it since shocks are wear and tear items. Control arms, in my case, are covered.
Old 05-22-15, 02:47 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by enoch861
That's unfortunate. I'd call again and try and talk with someone different... Especially if you can get someone a bit higher up.

My extended warranty doesn't cover shock absorbers or air (strut) bags. I'm not sure if other extended warranties would cover it since shocks are wear and tear items. Control arms, in my case, are covered.
Thanks for the input. I know what I was getting into when buying the car and was ready to shell out the money for the maintenance, but I wasn't ready for those air suspension falling apart before the 45k mile mark on those Lexus. I bought an absolutely mint condition car but no matter how you take care of it it doesn't matter if some parts were not properly designed. I don't think speaking with someone different would change anything. Lexus Canada is not Lexus USA, before I couldn't even say anything the guy practically said "your car is not on warranty anymore why do you even call us". I wasn't rude or anything, as I wasn't really expecting anything. Maybe I shouldn't have asked the service in french to begin with haha... There is three case here of people in Quebec who managed to win in small claim court, 2 of them against subaru and one against toyota to force them to do repair on car even if the warranty was expired. The judge said for the toyota one that even if the warranty expired, the wear on the problematic part of the car were abnormal for the mileage (was a bit more than 62k). The car of that person was more than 7 year old. I will go that route if necessary.
Old 05-22-15, 07:42 PM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861

May I ask which extended warranty you have? I was told by my Lexus dealership the CPO platinum warranty did cover air suspension. That was the main reason I purchased the 6/100,0000 warranty.
Old 05-22-15, 09:27 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by retlex
May I ask which extended warranty you have? I was told by my Lexus dealership the CPO platinum warranty did cover air suspension. That was the main reason I purchased the 6/100,0000 warranty.
https://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/w..._eBrochure.pdf

Quick Reply: Need to replace both shock + actuator on rear