LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

The $15k reason you dont drive into high water...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 07:31 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default The $15k reason you dont drive into high water...

This poor 2015 LS had only 1000 miles on it before the owner decided to test it's water fording abilities. The engine sucked up water and hydrolocked. The owner then popped open the door and flooded the cab with water. enjoy..
Kudos to my tech for keeping things so orderly.

Old 05-19-15, 08:30 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Ouch. Thanks for sharing the cautionary tale. We have been getting large amounts of rain in my area with some local flooding. I have tried to explain to my 18 yo son that he should never drive his car into a road covered with water - mostly because it is really easy to drown in a car caught in flood water. These pictures provide another reason to keep your car clear of flooded streets.
Old 05-19-15, 10:17 PM
mike430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't fix stupid, the car maybe but the driver????
Old 05-20-15, 06:52 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! We've had a historic rainfall and flooding this month. Cities have received 10+ inches in a day and many are nearing 20 inches for the month of May. There has been many new stories of people getting stranded while trying to cross flooded roadways. It's never a good idea.
The following users liked this post:
Spartan117 (05-30-20)
Old 05-20-15, 07:13 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Update for everyone. The new short block is being paired up with the rest of the car. check that puppy out, in case you were curious how much aluminum is used in these motors. I also have some pics of the connecting rods to show the hydrolock. Keep in mind, these should be perfectly straight.

And they should definitely not shatter...
Old 05-20-15, 08:24 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

These photos are some of the most beautiful carnage I've ever seen.

Thanks for sharing this.
Old 05-20-15, 08:37 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Who's the U-boat commander.
Old 05-20-15, 08:44 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow...They shouldn't be allowed to have the car back.

LSS (Lexus Social Services) should be involved and remove the Lexus from the home. They might allow for visitation after some counseling sessions.

Kudos to your tech for tackling this job. Wow not an easy one for sure.
Old 05-20-15, 09:09 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

If this was the 600h, how bad would the damage be-battery/electrical component wise also?

Originally Posted by greg3852
Wow...They shouldn't be allowed to have the car back.

LSS (Lexus Social Services) should be involved and remove the Lexus from the home. They might allow for visitation after some counseling sessions.
Old 05-20-15, 10:08 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Big mistake that could have easily been prevented.
Old 05-20-15, 10:16 AM
konradl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imagine the unbelievable amount of force that was exerted to bend those rods like that.

Really surprised the car wasn't totaled by the insurance company if the motor was hydrolocked and the interior flooded. Unless the owner decided to pay for repairs out of pocket of course.
Old 05-20-15, 11:31 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

If it was a 600h, I'm not sure it would mess up the electrical too bad. We have a RX450h here currently that someone forded as well and it "only" has hydrolock damage to the combustion engine, the CVT and components just popped fuses.

I think the reason it was not/will not be totalled by the insurance is because it's a LS. This is a 2015, A $87k car. So $15-18k of damage in total is still MUCH less than replacing the whole car. But as of right now, the owner is paying out of pocket.

I was surprised to find out today that the owner declined having the heads inspected for damage. Guess they are just going to gamble to save $500.
Old 05-20-15, 11:34 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by konradl
Imagine the unbelievable amount of force that was exerted to bend those rods like that.
Exactly! It's absolutely amazing. As a Mech engineer, I had to share this for the simple amazing display of physics. Water does not compress, even against forged steel and unbelievable force.
Old 05-20-15, 11:45 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by konradl

Really surprised the car wasn't totaled by the insurance company if the motor was hydrolocked and the interior flooded. Unless the owner decided to pay for repairs out of pocket of course.
. . . and not report it to carfax or Lexus!
Old 05-20-15, 12:02 PM
konradl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skyshadow
I think the reason it was not/will not be totalled by the insurance is because it's a LS. This is a 2015, A $87k car. So $15-18k of damage in total is still MUCH less than replacing the whole car. But as of right now, the owner is paying out of pocket.
Had the owner gone through their insurance, the car would've been most likely totaled. They appraise them on a different level then a private shop does. Carpet alone is probably around $1,500 for this thing, which is the number they would use, rather than drying the damaged one for instance.

But hey, if the owner has 15k to fork out for his mistake, then it's a non-issue. And like you said, he probably should've spent the extra $500 for the heads.

Originally Posted by skyshadow
Exactly! It's absolutely amazing. As a Mech engineer, I had to share this for the simple amazing display of physics. Water does not compress, even against forged steel and unbelievable force.
Definitely appreciate you sharing this. It's interesting to see what happens when a bit of water enters the chamber. To think that the aluminum heads, bolts, valves etc. were stronger then the pressure of the piston rods pushing on them. I guess something has to give.

Quick Reply: The $15k reason you dont drive into high water...