LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Battery fail

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 04:03 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I have that same interstate battery. It's 4-5 years old. I even left a dome light on and parked at long term for over a week and the battery came back. I would check your alternator as mentioned just to be sure.
Leaving the dome light on will not discharge the car's battery.

I've used Interstate Batteries as replacements for many years without problems. The Interstate Batteries are rated near the top of the Consumer Reports battery ratings.
Old 05-18-15, 04:13 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by roadfrog
As McRaney stated, These cars do NOT eat batteries. I live in Canada and the original Panny battery lasted almost 8 years. In fact, it didn't fail outright, but was starting to die after sitting idle for 4-5 days. My replacement AC Delco Professional is going strong after nearly a year. FWIW, the last time someone posted about a string of bad batteries, it was their alternator. It's easy enough to check.
Please steer us to the posts about bad alternators. I've followed this and other LS460 forums for about 8 years and I don't recall a single report of a bad alternator.
Old 05-18-15, 04:29 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Leaving the dome light on will not discharge the car's battery.

I've used Interstate Batteries as replacements for many years without problems. The Interstate Batteries are rated near the top of the Consumer Reports battery ratings.
Interstate batteries are not all bad however it depends on where they source them.
Panasonic batteries on the other hand are second to none and it's just too bad they no longer supply the dealerships with them.
Old 05-18-15, 04:48 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by Devh
Interstate batteries are not all bad however it depends on where they source them.
Panasonic batteries on the other hand are second to none and it's just too bad they no longer supply the dealerships with them.
I have no reason to question your opinion of Panasonic batteries. I live in a very large metropolitan area and I recall trying to find a replacement Panasonic battery for one my Lexus'. I was willing to pay a premium price but I couldn't find one anywhere in spite of an extensive search. I couldn't even find one on the Internet to be shipped in. May I contact you the next time I need one?

I think they are hard to find because most people are not willing to pay a premium and do an extensive search when there are satisfactory replacements readily available from several other manufacturers.

Last edited by jmcraney; 05-18-15 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 05:53 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I have no reason to question your opinion of Panasonic batteries. I live in a very large metropolitan and I recall trying to find a replacement Panasonic battery for one my Lexus'. I was willing to pay a premium price but I couldn't find one anywhere in spite of an extensive search. I couldn't even find one on the Internet to be shipped in. May I contact you the next time I need one?

I think they are hard to find because most people are not willing to pay a premium and do an extensive search when there are satisfactory replacements readily available from several other manufacturers.
I don't have any source except to go to Japan. I'm just reminiscing on many members on my other board that I belong to that have had outstanding results with the Panasonic supplied batteries.
It seems that the legendary status with the Panasonic batteries are enjoyed here as well.
Old 05-18-15, 06:06 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by Devh
I don't have any source except to go to Japan. I'm just reminiscing on many members on my other board that I belong to that have had outstanding results with the Panasonic supplied batteries.
It seems that the legendary status with the Panasonic batteries are enjoyed here as well.
Thank you for sharing your wisdom. That was my experience too - the only place to get a Panasonic battery for a Lexus is in Japan. When I was looking for a Panasonic battery my quest was driven, not by performance, but by dimensions. It doesn't seem possible to find a readily available battery with the exact same L, W and H. I finally adjusted my tolerance and moved on.
Old 05-19-15, 10:37 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As an update I'm back in business. I had my car jumped and drove it into the dealership. They tested the battery and it was basically dead and could not hold a charge. They replaced it for free and my warranty period resets so I have another 7 years of coverage. My car now starts and drives perfectly with the new battery. There are no indications that there is anything wrong with the altenator.

The Lexus service advisor said it is not common for Lexus batteries to die in a year but he has seen it before. He said sometimes they get bad ones that die almost immediately. Apparently he has seen brand new cars fresh off the boat from the factory before they were even put into inventory with failed batteries. Go figure.

One thing I wanted to clarify since someone posted about how good it is for Lexus to provide a 7 year warranty as compared to Autozone. The 7 year Lexus warranty is prorated. Within the first two years it is covered 100% but it drops after that. I think in the 7th year you only get 25% coverage.
Old 05-20-15, 02:26 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

It was actually the little side front light, not the center dome. You know the one for the driver and passenger. Anyway, it did kill the battery where nothing operated. No click on the starter or anything. Needed boost to even turn the alarm off. I believe our cars do have some kind of fail safe that prevents an absolute drain on the battery when a light is left on or similar. This will ruin a battery. When I upgrade I will probably get another Optima battery. I'm a fan of their Red and Yellow top line.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-20-15 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 06:05 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by wayman28
As an update I'm back in business. I had my car jumped and drove it into the dealership. They tested the battery and it was basically dead and could not hold a charge. They replaced it for free and my warranty period resets so I have another 7 years of coverage. My car now starts and drives perfectly with the new battery. There are no indications that there is anything wrong with the altenator.

The Lexus service advisor said it is not common for Lexus batteries to die in a year but he has seen it before. He said sometimes they get bad ones that die almost immediately. Apparently he has seen brand new cars fresh off the boat from the factory before they were even put into inventory with failed batteries. Go figure.

One thing I wanted to clarify since someone posted about how good it is for Lexus to provide a 7 year warranty as compared to Autozone. The 7 year Lexus warranty is prorated. Within the first two years it is covered 100% but it drops after that. I think in the 7th year you only get 25% coverage.
To cut to the chase it's actually a three year replacement battery. The prorated amount (because the inflated dealerships amount) is the cost of a better battery else where.
Old 05-21-15, 06:03 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

A little late in this game but my 2010 SWB battery died 10 months after Lexus installed a new one (also Interstate). Had them check the alternator and other electronic gremlins, found none. New one worked fine no issues since, though from this post I must say it can't be a coincidence.

Incidentally my wife's new 2014 Honda Pilot Touring, her battery died the 2nd time she drove it (1st time was from dealership to home), Honda roadside assistance was literally of no help and had to use Geico roadside assistance for a jump. Honda tested, both alternator and battery tested fine...12 months later (after it died 4-5 more times) they replaced the battery.
Old 10-08-15, 11:10 AM
Becker135
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd new battery

If these cars don't eat batteries, then the Lexus labeled batteries they install are crap. My 2011 460 LWB needed a new one in Aug 2013, and now 26 months later it's gone bad again. As someone said, if it was 2 months ago they would have replaced it for free, but now they only offer a 50% proration, and total out the door cost will be $130. Think I'll go to Autozone or PepBoys........
Old 10-08-15, 04:53 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My car has four Lexus batteries in its service history, the last one installed in 2015 a couple months before I bought it. It recently threw a "low battery voltage" code... although I suspect (and hope) that may have been because I sat in it for a little too long listening to music after I turned the engine off. Fortunately batteries are cheap and relatively easy to swap.
Old 10-09-15, 11:25 AM
lexgolf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Becker135
If these cars don't eat batteries, then the Lexus labeled batteries they install are crap. My 2011 460 LWB needed a new one in Aug 2013, and now 26 months later it's gone bad again. As someone said, if it was 2 months ago they would have replaced it for free, but now they only offer a 50% proration, and total out the door cost will be $130. Think I'll go to Autozone or PepBoys........
My OEM battery in 2012 LS460 died in 3 years. The car was in the garage, so Lexus sent a replacement battery installed by Lexus Roadside Assistance at no charge. The tech said he sees these batteries needing replacement every two years in this AZ heat.

Still better than my 09 BMW 750 that needed a new battery every six months!

OEM Battery in my son's 2012 Toyota RAV4 died in 2 years as well.
Old 10-09-15, 05:29 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm on the original Panasonic. Purchase date 12/09 (not me). That's nearly 6 years. 21,500 miles.
Old 10-12-15, 03:41 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm on my first Optima Yellow Top. The risks associated with jump starting outweigh the added cost.

Quick Reply: Battery fail