LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Auto high beam problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-15, 07:55 PM
Thesil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto high beam problem

I have a 2015 460LS and having trouble with setting the auto high beams. I have the lights set to auto , push the stalk forward and press the auto button; however, the brights do not go off when approaching oncoming vehicles at night. Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with the car? Thanks
Old 05-16-15, 05:02 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Thesil
I have a 2015 460LS and having trouble with setting the auto high beams. I have the lights set to auto , push the stalk forward and press the auto button; however, the brights do not go off when approaching oncoming vehicles at night. Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with the car? Thanks
It sounds like the setup on the 2015 may be a bit different than on my car, so I may be off, but could pressing the auto button actually be disabling the system? In other words, it's on by default. It might be worth a shot.

Oh, and congratulations on the new car!
Old 05-16-15, 05:22 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Seems to me that the sensor for the Auto-Dim feature is on the front side (the windshield side) of the internal rearview mirror assembly. Check to see if you have placed something, like a toll-tag, in that area that may be shading the sensor.

Last edited by jmcraney; 05-16-15 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Additional clarity
Old 05-16-15, 06:38 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Didn't know Lexus had this feature. My 92 Lincoln m7 has it but I never use it. System came out on 84 model first, but I believe it even came on some of the 70s models as well. Dads 79 town car had it .
Old 05-16-15, 06:53 AM
JiffyPop
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a a video of the high beam systems on the new LS

Not sure of the exact controls on the 2015 but it seems as if there are both auto high beam and adaptive high beam settings. Could you be in the adaptive setting where the high beam remains on?
Old 05-16-15, 11:15 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JiffyPop
Here is a a video of the high beam systems on the new LS

Not sure of the exact controls on the 2015 but it seems as if there are both auto high beam and adaptive high beam settings. Could you be in the adaptive setting where the high beam remains on?
this system is not available on US spec LS's. Only the first example of auto high beam is allowed under current US law. European markets do not have these restrictions.
Old 05-16-15, 01:01 PM
Thesil
Driver School Candidate

Default It is available

Originally Posted by aypues
this system is not available on US spec LS's. Only the first example of auto high beam is allowed under current US law. European markets do not have these restrictions.
It is available on the 2015. That video is from 2013. Page 129 of the manual describes the auto high beam function. It just doesn't seem to work
Old 05-16-15, 01:18 PM
caha14
Racer

It is available on the 2015. That video is from 2013. Page 129 of the manual describes the auto high beam function. It just doesn't seem to work
I think he's saying the auto high beam is available, just not the adaptive high beam. My 2010 600hL has auto high beam as well.
Old 05-16-15, 03:42 PM
bbq4
Driver School Candidate

Be sure you have the high beams on - then press the AUTO switch.
Old 05-16-15, 10:59 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
I think he's saying the auto high beam is available, just not the adaptive high beam. My 2010 600hL has auto high beam as well.
exactly. we only get the dumbed down version in the US
Old 05-17-15, 12:14 PM
caha14
Racer

To Thesil...

Evidently, you are operating the system "by the book", which I would've known had I looked at the 2015 owner's manual before (like I just did now, as I am intrigued by this). So, needless to say, scrap my original suggestion.

Beyond checking what jmcraney rightly suggested, once that's cleared up, I would try one more thing. It seems pretty clear that something isn't right, but this additional step might shed some light (no pun intended).

I noticed this in the manual, and I would try it to see if the system is functional at all, even if some setting (that the dealer would need to address) needs attention. Yes, it would technically make the system even less sensitive (if I'm reading correctly), but still worth a shot IMHO since it's still a manual override of sorts.

Temporary lowering sensor sensitivity
The sensitivity of the sensor can be temporarily lowered.
To lower the sensitivity, push and hold the “AUTO” button on the inside rear view mirror for 15 to 20 seconds, and release. The indicator light on the inside rear view mirror will flash to indicate that the sensitivity has been lowered. When the engine switch is turned off, the sensitivity will be returned to its normal level.
Old 05-17-15, 12:28 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

The Adaptive lighting system as shown in the video is quite cool, but even more than that, it is more safe. It's ridiculous it takes so long to get things through all the U.S. hurdles.

My car has the auto high beams also. I'm torn on that feature. I find several instances that it doesn't dim quick enough, and a time or two not at all. But what I do like is that it goes back to high beam quickly. It doesn't forget to go back to high beams like I do sometimes.

I live in a non-metro area. And there are LOTS of deer around. I see deer in my neighborhood almost every night, and find deer scat in my yard. So when I'm not approaching another car, I want the high beams on for as much lead time seeing a deer as is possible.

7milesout
Old 05-17-15, 12:37 PM
Thesil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caha14
To Thesil...

Evidently, you are operating the system "by the book", which I would've known had I looked at the 2015 owner's manual before (like I just did now, as I am intrigued by this). So, needless to say, scrap my original suggestion.

Beyond checking what jmcraney rightly suggested, once that's cleared up, I would try one more thing. It seems pretty clear that something isn't right, but this additional step might shed some light (no pun intended).

I noticed this in the manual, and I would try it to see if the system is functional at all, even if some setting (that the dealer would need to address) needs attention. Yes, it would technically make the system even less sensitive (if I'm reading correctly), but still worth a shot IMHO since it's still a manual override of sorts.

Temporary lowering sensor sensitivity
The sensitivity of the sensor can be temporarily lowered.
To lower the sensitivity, push and hold the “AUTO” button on the inside rear view mirror for 15 to 20 seconds, and release. The indicator light on the inside rear view mirror will flash to indicate that the sensitivity has been lowered. When the engine switch is turned off, the sensitivity will be returned to its normal level.
Thanks caha. I'll try that. Sometimes Lexus info is very confusing
Old 05-17-15, 09:21 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bbq4
Be sure you have the high beams on - then press the AUTO switch.
I don't think my car has the auto high beams. Where is the auto switch?
I can only rotate my stalk to auto for the auto lights. If I push the stalk forward in auto it just gives me high beams.