LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Independant lifted the car the wrong way, some metal bent

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 07:21 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Independant lifted the car the wrong way, some metal bent

Just came back from an independent shop to take a look at the possible broken shock. When I looked under I noticed they they totally didn't put the bar under the lift point (they put it directly on the frame) and I could see some bent metal and plastic under. I screamed from the inside My question is, could this affect the car in anyway or am I just paranoid ? Also can it be fixed or this part replaced ?

Last edited by Vansibel; 05-11-15 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-11-15, 07:42 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Some pics of the damage
Attached Thumbnails Independant lifted the car the wrong way, some metal bent-img_20150511_103157.jpg   Independant lifted the car the wrong way, some metal bent-img_20150511_103203.jpg   Independant lifted the car the wrong way, some metal bent-img_20150511_103207.jpg   Independant lifted the car the wrong way, some metal bent-img_20150511_103213.jpg  
Old 05-11-15, 08:43 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't know about the last two pictures because I cant see the damage clearly however the first two pictures should not effect the car. It actually crushed the tab relieving the stress.
Just to be sure you need to look at your doors and fenders for any unusual gaps.

Then what you need to do is contact the independent and let them know that they damaged your car. If they try to weasel their way out of it then go though your insurance company so they can collect on the damages.
Independents are bonded and will cover the damage.
Old 05-11-15, 09:27 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

None of what I see should be an issue, but as Devh said, you need to go back to the independent and put it on them. No excuse.
Old 05-11-15, 11:06 AM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can exactly see where this location is on the car, but if it is behind the wheels, like where your owners manual says to jack the car up. I would not worry about it. I have small flanges there that have been bent from using a floor jack. But its would be best to check all the gaps in your car to be solid. Make sure they are look equal. If you live in a state that uses salt on the road, might be a good ideal to hit that area with some paint to hold off rust if the paint or what ever it is down there has been compermised.
Old 05-11-15, 11:37 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Devh
I don't know about the last two pictures because I cant see the damage clearly however the first two pictures should not effect the car. It actually crushed the tab relieving the stress.
Just to be sure you need to look at your doors and fenders for any unusual gaps.

Then what you need to do is contact the independent and let them know that they damaged your car. If they try to weasel their way out of it then go though your insurance company so they can collect on the damages.
Independents are bonded and will cover the damage.
The thing is that when I said to the guy what I owe him for the inspection he said oh nothing (probably because he heard something snap), so I don't have any receipt. Would he still be liable ? And even so how can this actually be fixed as it's the frame itself ?? Would my personal insurance for the car cover something like this ?
Old 05-11-15, 12:11 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Unsober1
I can exactly see where this location is on the car, but if it is behind the wheels, like where your owners manual says to jack the car up. I would not worry about it. I have small flanges there that have been bent from using a floor jack. But its would be best to check all the gaps in your car to be solid. Make sure they are look equal. If you live in a state that uses salt on the road, might be a good ideal to hit that area with some paint to hold off rust if the paint or what ever it is down there has been compermised.
The guy used a post surface mounted lift like those: https://www.autolift.org/images/lifts/2Posot.jpg

Yes he mounted it behind the wheel. Just checked and I could not see obvious gap. At least those car seems well built, but man ain't that suck when supposed professional just break your stuff ? More than 35 years in the business, you'd think they'd know how to lift a car. Saw that post in the is forum although the bend is not that bad: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...jack-lift.html

Seems like those guy even work at Lexus sometimes.
Old 05-11-15, 12:18 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
The thing is that when I said to the guy what I owe him for the inspection he said oh nothing (probably because he heard something snap), so I don't have any receipt. Would he still be liable ? And even so how can this actually be fixed as it's the frame itself ?? Would my personal insurance for the car cover something like this ?
You will have to call your insurance and let them know what happened. They will let you know if it is covered or not and should advice you to first bring it to the shops attention.
If the insurance company says it's covered then if the shop refuses let them know that you have already contacted your insurance company.

Make sure you document the damages with pictures and times and dates of your interactions and the outcomes. The more organized you are the better the outcome and above all else be polite with your interactions.
Old 05-11-15, 01:10 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Minor damage and the shop should have it repaired.
Old 05-11-15, 04:22 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pinch welds they can be straightened out but I would them fix it..
Old 05-11-15, 04:26 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Very minor, dealers do that too...
Old 05-11-15, 08:11 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

No idea what or where "QC" is but if you are in a wet, snowy, salted climate, you'll need to get the damage repaired and undersealed or it will rust in no time.
Old 05-12-15, 03:54 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Unless the weld has separated, I wouldn't worry about it. The damage is cosmetic and you'll never see it any way.
Old 05-12-15, 04:43 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I had something very similar happen, one of my tires developed a leak and I pulled into a small tire shop to get it repaired.

After I drove off, heard this rattle...and in 10 miles the same tire leaked again! I drove it back home took it to a Meineke where I bought new tires and they pointed out the spot where the tire shop put jacks on the car, causing the metal/shield to bend and rattle. Was a simple fix to put metal/shield back in place but was a frustrating experience...
Old 05-12-15, 05:39 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
No idea what or where "QC" is but if you are in a wet, snowy, salted climate, you'll need to get the damage repaired and undersealed or it will rust in no time.
Quebec Province, Canada. Very snowy and salty... Look like I need this to be taken care of. If the car rigidity is not affected I don't mind fixing this from my own pocket to save the hassle of trying to make the shop pay for it. I did go to the dealer for the original problem (the shocks) and he wasn't sure that they could do anything about it. I'm guessing a body shop would be the way to go ? Would there be a chance for the metal to crack by unbending it ? If I understand correctly just repainting it would prevent the rust or do I need any other step ?

Quick Reply: Independant lifted the car the wrong way, some metal bent