LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008/09 LS460 AWD vs 2010 MB E350 4MATIC

Old 05-04-15, 10:54 PM
damangoman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008/09 LS460 AWD vs 2010 MB E350 4MATIC

Hi everyone,

I have started shopping around for a car to replace my current mid-size. I was initially dead set on a Mercedes E Class E350 4MATIC since they seem to have great reliability for the 2010 model year. After doing a lot of research, I realized that a 08/09 Lexus LS460 AWD(or not) will also be in the same price range/ mileage range I am looking at. Neither will come with warranties or CPO.

My requirements:
Between $20-28k
Between 50-80kish miles(lower for E350 is a must)
AWD preferred
Navigation + Backup camera required(my current car has it).
I LOVE electronic goodies and cool standard + extra options, so its a HUGE plus when deciding on a car.

Based on all this, it seems like the LS460 blows the 2010 E350 out of the water even though it is 1 or 2 model years older. I am sure the LS ride quietness and quality should also be better since it is Lexus' flagship car.

Will it being an 08/09 LS vs a '10 MB make a difference in quality, reliability etc? I am prepared to pay for all needed repairs(used to own a Jaguar S-Type, i know how it goes haha)...however, I would prefer not to if possible ESP. if the LS460 is a better value too.

Please let me know your opinions, thanks!

BTW, I'm not looking at the GS class in this year model because it looks ugly in the back to me personally
Old 05-05-15, 03:16 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My sister has a 2013 e350 sport

The interior and dash specifically looks like it was designed by a child. Overall it's not bad but bmw dash is a lot better.
LS 460 blows it away!!
Old 05-05-15, 06:11 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

To me the E class looks basic. It doesn't look like a nice car to me.

I do not think the LS came in AWD until 2009 or 2010. But I could be mistaken. I also would not say Mercedes, no warranty, and reliable in the same sentence from what I have read.
Old 05-05-15, 06:36 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I've never owned a Mercedes so I can't really tell you anything there. I have the 08 LS460 SWB with RWD. Great car and you can certainly find one within your budget. Mine is reasonably loaded for the year model. The Mark Levinson audio system is worth looking for. Especially the video surround sound.

Depending on what extra's you are wanting, make sure you understand, things like bluetooth audio and usb aren't introduced until 2010. Otherwise, a great car with a smooth ride.
Old 05-05-15, 06:50 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

Coming from a BMW, I am forever leery about any German marques.

I pulled this off of Edmunds.com and this is just on the first page:

Vehicle

E350 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Review

I have had a BMW, Lexus and really liked the 2010 E350...so I purchased a CPO one. And that is where the nightmare began. The navigation system randomly freezes, the stereo system/phone system is on but no sound. MB says its the software...hmmm but cannot be the hw according them them. The rear bumper was literally not fitting in properly...they said that happens?? WOW ok. The rear passenger door was not aligned with the car...they said that happens with time! The window would open on its own...they replaced the window, and said...its fixed...but it was not, they finally changed the motor and now its fixed. Worst experience I can imagine! Perhaps a Yugo would be better!?!

Favorite Features

That it works in order for a month at a time, but then something else goes wrong.

Suggested Improvements

Lets not have the bumper fall out of alignment with the body of the vehicle! Ensure the windows dont open on their own. Fix the hardware and stop saying its a sw issue. Improve your customer service. When I called M-Benz of North America...they line is that what the warranty is for. So you sold me a warranty on a nightmare of a car. I will go back to Lexus. After 1 year this car has been to the dealer no less than 6 times, and is currently there...week 4 now (they called to say it was ready) but when I came to pick it up the issues were not corrected. Called M-Benz customer retention manager on Tues...still no response. Its been a horrible experience!
_____________________________________________________________________________________
I also went to Benzworld .org and saw a lot of issues with transmissions and transmission modules.

Last edited by roadfrog; 05-05-15 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-05-15, 11:17 AM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AWD for the ls 460 started in 09. If you like the more updated electronics interface, you need to go for the 2010 model. Your on a lexus web site. I think I can speak for most people here......buy the LS !
And I's sure you already though about this, but you are comparing apples to oranges. The E class and LS are not in the same class of cars. The E class would be closer to the GS of lexus. The S class is the equal of the LS
Old 05-05-15, 01:38 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The E350 doesn't even begin to compare to the LS 460. I test drove one during my hunt for a newer vehicle and it didn't jive with me at all. It felt cheaper than my A6 even though it looks nicer from the outside. The inside is just terrible. The LS on the other hand.. well, you gotta experience it for yourself honestly. It makes the E350 feel like a toy.
Old 05-05-15, 05:01 PM
abracc
Driver School Candidate

I came to my 12 LS 460 SWB AWD from a 11 E550 AWD. The one thing I wish I could take out of the Benz would be the horsepower and torque from that engine. But everything else in the LS 460 seems to be a huge step up from the Benz. Started having check engine light issues, burning smell that could not be located and a total lack of control in the snow....and that was driving in maybe 2 inches of snow at the most. Felt like a bald tires RWD...even tho the I had just put some Conti DWS's on about a month earlier.

Loved the performance, feel and handling of the Benz, but didn't want to start putting $$$ into it. LS is so much quieter and comfortable. Drive both..the E series is more 'connected' to the road...that can be good and bad...but drive both. I'd take an E63 under warranty....
Old 05-05-15, 09:41 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an E350 4Matic. It's got 170K which is pretty good except that I can't go to the dealer for less than a grand. So I take to my local guy. The parts are still $$$. The MIL (check engine) goes on randomly - clear the codes (the parts they point to check out fine) until the next time. Replaced the steering rack, power steering unit & hoses, a wiring harness, etc. when the front u-joint grenaded under the car and thrashed around trapped between an aero panel and the transmission/engine ($3K). Transmission is acting up when cold but is phenomenally expensive to repair. Currently it's intermittently throwing cam related codes. Eats tires. Blew a front spring in the parking lot waiting for a tire change which required the replacement of both front struts. I'm letting my son drive it when he's home from college waiting for it to die. I can't morally let someone buy it knowing that it's headed to the grave. Wouldn't do that to someone.

Had a BMW and a Jag. I'd buy a Jag again for the fun but not counting on it to keep me away from the tow trucks. The BMW sucked. Never again.

In fact, although they're right that you should never own a German car out of warranty, I've decided that I don't have enough life minutes to waste on dragging a car under warranty in & out of the dealer even if the repairs are "free". My time and convenience is worth more...Lexus more
Old 05-19-15, 02:28 PM
damangoman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Looks like y'all have made up my mind Going with the Lexus LS460L AWD. Found an '09 with around 57k miles, fully loaded(a feature I really wanted was Rear Park assist and it has it) except for the executive seat and side power shades option. Probably going in for a test drive sometime this week or next.

You guys think it's a good deal?
Old 05-19-15, 02:40 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

How much? Also, the park assist is more a gimmick than anything. Takes too long to get ready to use it in real life. People are usually beeping and angry while you try to line up correctly. I would be more concerned with adaptive cruise.
Old 05-19-15, 05:16 PM
damangoman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by greg3852
How much? Also, the park assist is more a gimmick than anything. Takes too long to get ready to use it in real life. People are usually beeping and angry while you try to line up correctly. I would be more concerned with adaptive cruise.
They're asking $27,966 and it comes with adaptive cruise as well. I know the park assist has been mentioned as a gimmick by forum members, and truthfully I probably will not use it since I am used to parallel parking in the city. However, it IS a cool feature to show off to friends And since I'm not purchasing it as an option on a new LS, i figure why not :P

Car in question:
http://www.merlexautogroup.com/vehic...ngton-va.shtml
Old 05-19-15, 05:23 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Plug in the car specifics in a few sites like Edmunds, KBB and NADA, and see what values you get. You can at least see if your price is in the ballpark.

Yes, the self-parking feature is a parlor trick, but I guarantee you will absolutely love the adaptive cc.
Old 05-19-15, 05:25 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

it doesn't have adaptive cruise. Button on the right hand side of the steering wheel is blank.
Old 05-19-15, 05:33 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

As hfamhy said it doesn't have adaptive cruise. Easy way to tell is if you look at the front Lexus emblem and see the dots or it is not a solid emblem then it does not have adaptive cruise. I wish mine had it every single time I drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008/09 LS460 AWD vs 2010 MB E350 4MATIC