LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Trunk Close button in cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-15, 09:51 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Trunk Close button in cab

ok, bear with me here. I'm just thinking out loud.

How hard would it be to put a trunk close button in the dash. Could you tap into the trunk close button on the trunk lid and run the wires to the dash. Then put a factory button near the heated steering wheel button? Would there be any issues other than running the wires all the way back up to the dash? Not a major pain, but I would think it would be fairly easy and relatively cheap.

I wonder if a button from some other lexus would fit. Does the GX allow you to close from inside the cab?

Thoughts?
Old 05-02-15, 10:09 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe member Shibumi1 has done this. I'm also interested in the details.

ETA: See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post7588583

...and the prior post.

Last edited by Gbp; 05-02-15 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-02-15, 11:48 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Installing a button to close the trunk from the cab probably can be done. Its just safer closing the trunk from the outside whether manually or automatic.
Old 05-02-15, 12:40 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gbp
I believe member Shibumi1 has done this. I'm also interested in the details.

ETA: See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post7588583

...and the prior post.
I never saw that....Hmmm Shibumi1 can you give us some further details on what you did for this. I love this site..

And I'm not concerned about safety. I know if someone is in my trunk or not. Not to mention all the big giant SUV's have this feature.
Old 05-03-15, 02:33 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Its not too difficult. All u need is a relay at the front switch tied to the trunk pin an the close motor trigger wire.. (both at the motor on the dr side of the trunk)
85-trunk pin (gnd)
86-12v constant
30-in from front switch
87a-out to open trigger
87-out to close trigger
Old 05-03-15, 03:17 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome. Thank you for the reply. Now I just need that translator to get this into English. Lol. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
landonm86 (10-04-22)
Old 05-03-15, 03:22 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
Awesome. Thank you for the reply. Now I just need that translator to get this into English. Lol. Thanks.
Don't forget the flux capacitor...
Old 09-11-17, 08:36 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Is it possible to do this opening with the remote ?

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
Its not too difficult. All u need is a relay at the front switch tied to the trunk pin an the close motor trigger wire.. (both at the motor on the dr side of the trunk)
85-trunk pin (gnd)
86-12v constant
30-in from front switch
87a-out to open trigger
87-out to close trigger
I just looked on this video on YouTube where they modified an A8, A6 trunk lid closing and opening from the remote control and the drivers door. Is that also possible then on the 460/600 ?. I need instructions on which wires to connect and what type relay to use,
Old 09-13-17, 06:06 PM
rgs92
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not want that. What if something you could not see was obstructing the the trunk lid, like a strap from luggage or something a little too high for the lid to close? That could strain the motor or cause stress on the latch.
Other bad things:
1. someone's hand.
2. an animal or bird or even a big bug that jumped in (or any living thing).
3. an open container of something you did not want to empty into your trunk (use your imagination).
I sure want see what's in there before closing it. It would be too tempting for me to use a remote button w/o looking just because I was lazy. I don't trust myself on this.
Old 09-14-17, 11:34 AM
MrBiggs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greg3852
ok, bear with me here. I'm just thinking out loud.

How hard would it be to put a trunk close button in the dash. Could you tap into the trunk close button on the trunk lid and run the wires to the dash. Then put a factory button near the heated steering wheel button? Would there be any issues other than running the wires all the way back up to the dash? Not a major pain, but I would think it would be fairly easy and relatively cheap.

I wonder if a button from some other lexus would fit. Does the GX allow you to close from inside the cab?

Thoughts?
Greg I had this mod done a few months back. We tapped the trunk "closed" switch in the trunk and ran a wire from it to the trunk "open" switch in the dash. The switch in the dash was modified into a two-way switch. A wire was then ran from the now two-way switch back to the trunk open/close motor. I can now open and close the trunk using the switch on the dash. The open and closed switches in the trunk as well as the remote works as normal. Big Pimping!!!!!!! The inspiration came from a similar mod done by Shibumi 1. Much respect to him.

Vr/

Mr. Biggs

2011 LS460 SWB Matador Red Mica W/ Luxury Pkg. / Door Closers/ Self Parking/ML Sound System
Lexus Mud Guards/Lexus Illuminated Door Sills/Factory Chrome 19" Wheels/Hid Fogs/Lexus Sports Grill/Led Puddle Lights/Led Turn Signals
The following users liked this post:
comotiger (09-14-17)
Old 09-14-17, 11:45 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBiggs
Greg I had this mod done a few months back. We tapped the trunk "closed" switch in the trunk and ran a wire from it to the trunk "open" switch in the dash. The switch in the dash was modified into a two-way switch. A wire was then ran from the now two-way switch back to the trunk open/close motor. I can now open and close the trunk using the switch on the dash. The open and closed switches in the trunk as well as the remote works as normal. Big Pimping!!!!!!! The inspiration came from a similar mod done by Shibumi 1. Much respect to him.
Vr/
Mr. Biggs
2011 LS460 SWB Matador Red Mica W/ Luxury Pkg. / Door Closers/ Self Parking/ML Sound System
Lexus Mud Guards/Lexus Illuminated Door Sills/Factory Chrome 19" Wheels/Hid Fogs/Lexus Sports Grill/Led Puddle Lights/Led Turn Signals
Welcome to CL, Mr. Biggs! Looks like you are a long-time CLer but first-time poster, and what a really useful post! Thank you. The wiring seems simple enough. Still, can you please post a couple of pics of the two-way switch, and any pictures (of the wires running to the dash and back) taken during the installation?

Also, photos of your car inside and out, especially the illuminated door sills. How easy was that, and can you share details of parts and labor costs?
Old 09-14-17, 12:02 PM
MrBiggs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by comotiger
Welcome to CL, Mr. Biggs! Looks like you are a long-time CLer but first-time poster, and what a really useful post! Thank you. The wiring seems simple enough. Still, can you please post a couple of pics of the two-way switch, and any pictures (of the wires running to the dash and back) taken during the installation?

Also, photos of your car inside and out, especially the illuminated door sills. How easy was that, and can you share details of parts and labor costs?
COMOTIGER,
The car is all buttoned up but I will take a picture of switch this weekend along with some interior and exterior shots after cleaning up "Big Red" Saturday. The wires were ran from the switch in the dash and under the door sills back to the trunk. With regards to the door sills they were purchased at Lexus Boutique International www.lexusboutique.net and yes they do have your model year and interior color. The parts are genuine Lexus parts from Japan which are not available for purchase here. They ran me about $1000 for the set of 4. Choice of Blue or White LEXUS Leds They were wired into the step light on the doors.

Vr/

Mr. Biggs
Old 09-14-17, 01:02 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Thanks, looking forward to the pics. Please include a few of your illuminated door sills too. The ones on the web are not the greatest. So, is it pretty easy to install the door sills? I was looking at the Japan Parts Master site recently and found the door sills for $1000. With a Red car, did you go with the white LED sills? Oh, I noticed you installed mud guards. I have them too, bought from JPM last year
Old 09-14-17, 01:26 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

So I don't get this. Why can I close and open my tailgate on my Odyssey with the remote or the button in the cabin but I have to press the close button on the trunk lid for the LS???
Old 09-14-17, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsherv
So I don't get this. Why can I close and open my tailgate on my Odyssey with the remote or the button in the cabin but I have to press the close button on the trunk lid for the LS???
Because your Odyssey is made by Honda, and your LS is made by Lexus, and different companies approach features differently

Quick Reply: Trunk Close button in cab