LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DIY waterpump?

Old 05-19-15, 11:15 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Here ya go pal....

Bolt A 15 ft-lb
Bolt B 17 ft-lb
Bolt C 35 ft-lb
CRowe please make sure you don't get the larger torque wrench from HF because it will snap those bolts clean off then you will be in big trouble.

This is the one you want.
http://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-d...nch-61276.html
Old 05-19-15, 12:12 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Devh
CRowe please make sure you don't get the larger torque wrench from HF because it will snap those bolts clean off then you will be in big trouble.

Thank you Devh for the specifics! I need as much direct assistance as possible.
And indeed I will be using the OEM tensioner pulley, that only make proper sense.
I cant thank you guys enough for all of the help.
I went out on lunch and purchased two gallons of coolant from Toyota, about $21 and change per jug.
For the heck of it, I called Lexus to see what they'd charge for:
Bottom radiator hose: $44.88; two clamps that hold the hose on to the male ends-$15 ea. (crazy)
Tensioner Pulley: $269.43
Clips/Pins for under the hood engine covers: nearly $4 pc. Completely absurd!!

At the laboratory I work at, there is a machine shop and I forgot that we as employees are able to sign tools out, so I will be borrowing the torque wrench from there.
Now to place orders for the bottom rad hose (Gates), water pump, tensioner pulley and enginer cover clips/pins.
Thanks a million guys, really!
Old 05-19-15, 01:09 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

Those clips are available on Ebay for about 6 bucks a bag of 30:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pcs-Nylon-for-Toyota-Grille-Bumper-Retainer-Clip-Fastener-90467-07211-/231375928054?hash=item35df147af6&vxp=mtr
Old 05-19-15, 01:17 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Those clips are available on Ebay for about 6 bucks a bag of 30:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pcs-Nylon...147af6&vxp=mtr
Funny...
After I finished my search for the bottom rad hose I was going to look for the thread where those clips were talked about, so thank you for saving me MORE time!!
Another quick question:
Is there a quality difference between Dayco and Gates hoses?
Visually it seems the Dayco's are matte and the Gates seem to be of a better, firmer build quality, as the appear to be made of a harder plastic and have a luster to their shell.
I've found Dayco's (bottom hose) for as little as $15/$16, but Gates seem to be consistently in the low $30's.
Old 05-19-15, 01:23 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

We may want to sticky this thread as it has so much useful information in it..
Old 05-19-15, 01:31 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by greg3852
We may want to sticky this thread as it has so much useful information in it..
I absolutely agree!
Hey Greg, quick question...(Boy oh boy I just cant stop with the questions!!)
Roadfrog sent me the link for a bog of 30 engine cover clips for $6, but I think I recall that you said you were able to order a bag of 50 or 60 for $3...is that correct?
If so, would you mind sharing the link?
Thank you kindly sir.
Im trying to order everything today so everything should arrive within a day or two of each other.
Old 05-19-15, 02:18 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like the price has risen. It's 7.89 with free shipping for 50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281317628114?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 05-19-15, 03:31 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

I just checked my order history on Ebay. Seems I used Dayco. I thought it was Gates. Either way, they should both be equal quality. One thing though.....some Ebay vendors seem to list the shorter hose as a lower. To be clear, the upper hose is shorter and the lower is longer. As seen here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-Coolant-Hose-Curved-Radiator-Hose-Lower-DURALAST-by-AutoZone-E72192-/251897115252?fits=Model%3ALS460&hash=item3aa63cf274&vxp=mtr
That is the lower hose.

This is the upper hose:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-Coolant-Hose-Molded-Coolant-Hose-Upper-fits-07-13-Lexus-LS460-4-6L-V8-/361297684736?fits=Model%3ALS460&hash=item541f052900&vxp=mtr
Now, as I recall, the Dayco hose was too short. So be careful here.

Have you checked and compared prices at your local Pep Boys, or the like? Price maybe comparable and at least you can return/exchange it if it doesn't fit.
Old 05-19-15, 04:44 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I just checked my order history on Ebay. Seems I used Dayco. I thought it was Gates. Either way, they should both be equal quality. One thing though.....some Ebay vendors seem to list the shorter hose as a lower. To be clear, the upper hose is shorter and the lower is longer. As seen here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-Coo...3cf274&vxp=mtr

That is the lower hose.

This is the upper hose:

Radiator Coolant Hose Molded Coolant Hose Upper Fits 07 13 Lexus LS460 4 6L V8 | eBay

Now, as I recall, the Dayco hose was too short. So be careful here.

Have you checked and compared prices at your local Pep Boys, or the like? Price maybe comparable and at least you can return/exchange it if it doesn't fit.
I haven't as of yet but will this evening once I get a chance to sit down.
Thanks again RF!
Oh, btw, I didn't catch it until after I ordered the part, but apparently the pulley you listed is a idler pulley and not a tensioner pulley! So I emailed the place twice to see if I can catch them before they send it out tomorrow.
I also see that the tensioner is a bit more expensive and visually looks different, so I'll be looking for that also.
I guess the price quoted by Lexus wasn't that far off!

Greg:
Thanks a bunch also! I went ahead and ordered the bag RF listed, as I wanted to order as much as I could today before the close of business.
My water pump and clips have already shipped.
Now just the tensioner and lower hose and I'm good to go.
Old 05-20-15, 08:13 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Another question if someone could please help me in verifying this, as im pretty sure im cross referencing correctly. I believe the manufacturer of the tensioner is Dayco, but I want to make sure, as this part needs to be OEM.
The part number Lexus goes by for a belt tensioner/tensioner pulley is:
16620-0W130, but the gentleman in the parts dept says he does not know who the manufacturer is.
When I searched ebay, I come across quite a few tensioners, actually nearly all tensioner made by Dayco, but their part number, what I assume to be the Dayco part numer is:

Below is a photo of a "Genuine OEM" Toyota tensioner. Its the only one I could find with several photos and one of the photos would lead me to believe that this is in fact an OEM product, as Dayco is stamped into the cast of the body.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Genuine-Toyot...f6c226&vxp=mtr

Before I place my order, can someone a bit more familiar with part identification verify that this is more than likely the OEM product I need?
Thanks!
Old 05-20-15, 09:00 AM
Devh
Racer

I know I will be going against the grain here but I wouldn't worry about replacing the belt tensioner if there is nothing wrong with it. If it ever does go bad you will hear it and you can address it then.
Toyota tensioners are pretty good and they generally last a very long time. I have replaced similar style water pump and the owner is still driving on the same tensioner many years later with probably an additional 50k miles since.
Old 05-20-15, 09:31 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I know I will be going against the grain here but I wouldn't worry about replacing the belt tensioner if there is nothing wrong with it. If it ever does go bad you will hear it and you can address it then.
Toyota tensioners are pretty good and they generally last a very long time. I have replaced similar style water pump and the owner is still driving on the same tensioner many years later with probably an additional 50k miles since.
Good Sir, for the millionth time, thank you for your feed back.
I think now, I will side with your remarks, as your breadth of auto mechanics seem to be quite in depth and accurate.
I, as an entry level DIY'er in the auto repair realm, hate to be so wishy washy, and am only trying to make the best informed decisions in part from people have have previously "been there and done that". So I was willing to replace the tensioner. However I did question within myself "why adress it if it's not broken". But I am still learning and simply wish to take care of this vehicle.
When looking at the over all scope of this job, it's not intimidating at all, and it seems that if the tensioner does go bad, it won't be much of a hassle to replace.
Gratitude to the highest everyone.
Old 05-20-15, 09:55 AM
macjac69
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or use an inch lb tq wrench and multiply value by 12 to convert!
Old 05-20-15, 10:18 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Good Sir, for the millionth time, thank you for your feed back.
I think now, I will side with your remarks, as your breadth of auto mechanics seem to be quite in depth and accurate.
I, as an entry level DIY'er in the auto repair realm, hate to be so wishy washy, and am only trying to make the best informed decisions in part from people have have previously "been there and done that". So I was willing to replace the tensioner. However I did question within myself "why adress it if it's not broken". But I am still learning and simply wish to take care of this vehicle.
When looking at the over all scope of this job, it's not intimidating at all, and it seems that if the tensioner does go bad, it won't be much of a hassle to replace.
Gratitude to the highest everyone.
Your welcome but don't ever take my word for it. My experience may only help you in your informed decision but it must be researched by extensive searching to draw your own conclusions.
Your logic is sound in that you will know what to do easily because you have replaced your water pump.
The weird thing about tensoners is that they can prematurely fail at any point in time and there is no guarantee that a new one will extend the life of what you have now. In the past we could say that about timing belts and water pumps of being a matter of when but that is not the case anymore because these parts have known to last until the rings give way.
Old 05-20-15, 10:22 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by macjac69
Or use an inch lb tq wrench and multiply value by 12 to convert!
That will work.
I have a precision torque screw driver in inch pounds which is pretty neat for adjusting the screws on my precision rifle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY waterpump?