LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Looking to Leave Audi and Join Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-15, 08:22 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Southern California seems to have a better selection/more competitive pricing than Northern California. Unfortunately, I'm in Northern California. I'm considering an out-of-state vehicle, but there's an additional price bump in the form of a use penalty taxes/fees, travel costs, and possible shipping costs. I don't know if more stringent CA smog standards would pose a problem.

My climate doesn't require AWD and I'd like to avoid potential maintenance costs of an air suspension. Pre-collision/DRCC is the norm for the LS600h and not rare on used LS460L's, but I really prefer the SWB. I've seen 2 SWB's with pre-collision in the MY range I'm searching, but for various reasons (price and color for one, condition and lack of Comfort Plus for the other) gave them a pass. Sigh.

Last edited by Gbp; 04-30-15 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-30-15, 08:48 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
Southern California seems to have a better selection/more competitive pricing than Northern California. Unfortunately, I'm in Northern California. I'm considering an out-of-state vehicle, but there's an additional price bump in the form of a use penalty taxes/fees, travel costs, and possible shipping costs. I don't know if more stringent CA smog standards would pose a problem.

My climate doesn't require AWD and I'd like to avoid potential maintenance costs of an air suspension. Pre-collision/DRCC is the norm for the LS600h and not rare on used LS460L's, but I really prefer the SWB. I've seen 2 SWB's with pre-collision in the MY range I'm searching, but for various reasons (price and color for one, condition and lack of Comfort Plus for the other) gave them a pass. Sigh.
Might be worth making the trek to Southern California at least. California does have stringent emission standards so it might be interesting bringing a car in. And all those fees and stuff associated.. might or might not be worth it. It all depends on how taxes are handled by California and the state you purchase from.

It's unfortunate AWD and Air Suspension come together. I would have loved to just get AWD by itself but alas that isn't the case.
Finding a car that is really fully loaded isn't a walk in the park like with the A6 haha. In my neck of the woods it's really difficult to find one with DRCC that's why I said it's rare. But you can find them fully loaded sans that option. I'm not quite sure why it's so but that's what I've observed.
Old 04-30-15, 09:55 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp

Nonetheless, the LS460 has a good-looking, if understated, exterior. I'm OK with understated, and prefer its sleeker, more streamlined look to the more boxy look of the previous LS models, giving it a hint of that "sportiness" I seem to like. (I actually mostly prefer the interior and exterior of the LS460 before its 2013 refresh. Not to mention the earlier years are easier on my wallet. <g>).
You bring up a good point. In my opinion the more traditional the car exterior in terms of conservative styling the better it will age.
The more radical the design is it will look dated once the new model comes a long.
Just look at how much better the LS430 looks compared to the comparable S class or the controversial styling of the seven series BMW.
Old 04-30-15, 10:00 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

DRCC/Pre collision is not norm for LS600. Have seen many LS600 (for sale) without both. When I was looking for LS, I wanted DRCC and found it harder to find out. Even more difficult if one wanted tan interior with DRCC. It would be relatively easy to find these options in black interior than tan (light) interior.

Outside of California, southern FL has more used Lexus for sale. But shipping cost is going to cost more........
Old 04-30-15, 10:19 AM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's an excellent independent Toyota/Lexus/Scion Shop in Eden Prairie MN called CarSpec (they sometimes post on this site). They really know their Lexus LSs and I think they do PPIs for $20. It might be worth giving them a call and confirming, and maybe even asking if they have any customers who want to sell their LS?

Good luck finding an LS in Minnesota. It's really uncommon to find a high mile single owner car here. I know that I'd go to Texas to find an LS460.
Old 04-30-15, 10:20 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Devh
You bring up a good point. In my opinion the more traditional the car exterior in terms of conservative styling the better it will age.
The more radical the design is it will look dated once the new model comes a long.
Just look at how much better the LS430 looks compared to the comparable S class or the controversial styling of the seven series BMW.
I very much agree with you in principle. It could easily be argued that the more classical lines of tne LS430 will endure longer than the sleeker lines of the LS460. Probably just a rationalization, but I see the LS460 as almost a different type of car than the LS430: a luxury car with a sporty, yet still conservative look.

I consider the LS430 to LS460 change in appearance more evolutionary than the previous XJ generation to its current generation, and I'd argue that keeping some elements of the classical lines of the LS430 reflects well on the LS460.
Old 04-30-15, 10:31 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
I very much agree with you in principle. It could easily be argued that the more classical lines of tne LS430 will endure longer than the sleeker lines of the LS460. Probably just a rationalization, but I see the LS460 as almost a different type of car than the LS430: a luxury car with a sporty, yet still conservative look.

I consider the LS430 to LS460 change in appearance more evolutionary than the previous XJ generation to its current generation, and I'd argue that keeping some elements of the classical lines of the LS430 reflects well on the LS460.
I would even go so far to say the Toyota Century styling is timeless. It would be nice if the next LS would pay homage to one of the greats and break away from the Europeans. Toyota did that with the FJ cruiser and it was successful.
Old 04-30-15, 10:42 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by satiger
DRCC/Pre collision is not norm for LS600. Have seen many LS600 (for sale) without both. When I was looking for LS, I wanted DRCC and found it harder to find out. Even more difficult if one wanted tan interior with DRCC. It would be relatively easy to find these options in black interior than tan (light) interior.

Outside of California, southern FL has more used Lexus for sale. But shipping cost is going to cost more........
I've only been looking for the past few months, but every LS600h I've seen online photos of seems to have had the basic pre-collision/DRCC option. Much rarer is the advanced pre-collision/DRCC that I believe includes LKA (lane keep assist) and I think blind spot monitoring.

I agree about Florida as a good source for LS460's. I had a quote of $1,000 to ship a potential purchase from there to the SF Bay Area. I still have to factor in travel costs (I'm reluctant to buy a car without physically seeing it) and the CA penalties for buying an out-of-state vehicle.
Old 04-30-15, 10:51 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by satiger

Miami has a fantastic selection of LS's for sale. I would have bought out of state but the fact that I want to trade my car in makes it a bit more difficult.

Originally Posted by airchomper
There's an excellent independent Toyota/Lexus/Scion Shop in Eden Prairie MN called CarSpec (they sometimes post on this site). They really know their Lexus LSs and I think they do PPIs for $20. It might be worth giving them a call and confirming, and maybe even asking if they have any customers who want to sell their LS?

Good luck finding an LS in Minnesota. It's really uncommon to find a high mile single owner car here. I know that I'd go to Texas to find an LS460.
They're actually pretty close to Victoria where the car is located.
I'll have to give them a call when I have a test drive scheduled.. sounds like there are a few people interested in the car at this point though. Hopefully it's still available when I go.

Originally Posted by Gbp
I've only been looking for the past few months, but every LS600h I've seen online photos of seems to have had the basic pre-collision/DRCC option. Much rarer is the advanced pre-collision/DRCC that I believe includes LKA (lane keep assist) and I think blind spot monitoring.

I agree about Florida as a good source for LS460's. I had a quote of $1,000 to ship a potential purchase from there to the SF Bay Area. I still have to factor in travel costs (I'm reluctant to buy a car without physically seeing it) and the CA penalties for buying an out-of-state vehicle.
Didn't the advanced package with LKA get added in 2010 or a later model year?
Old 04-30-15, 11:15 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

In the USA, for the LS460L, the advanced pre-collision was added as an option in 2010. For the LS600h, it was on the 2008 launch edition and (I think) available on 2009 and later models.
Old 04-30-15, 12:55 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Here's another I've come across that looks to be fully loaded with adaptive cruise sans the executive package although it does have quad-zone climate: http://www.millsauto.com/inventory-d...mpleContained5 seems to have been dealer maintained till the very end. I'm not sure what to think about the air suspension though.

Last edited by enoch861; 04-30-15 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-03-15, 11:05 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

I think I've found the perfect LS 460: http://application.gustman.com/detai...BL46F375042841
Low mileage, price looks good, color is awesome.
The only thing standing out is the fact that the car wasn't driven for 2 years. I believe less than 500 miles since 2013... Not sure why it would have been parked for so long. I guess in the LS what else should I take a look at knowing that it's been practically sitting for so long?
Fortunately with the low mileage I am able to get a 4 year 50k mile platinum (practically bumper to bumper) warranty for 895 with a 250 deductible for 1400 for no deductible through my CU.
Irregardless, I think that's the car I'll most likely go for at this point. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow and hopefully during the course of the day we'll have a deal and by Tuesday I'll have my "new" car. I'll keep the thread updated with the outcome.
Old 05-03-15, 03:11 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
I think I've found the perfect LS 460: http://application.gustman.com/detai...BL46F375042841
Low mileage, price looks good, color is awesome.
The only thing standing out is the fact that the car wasn't driven for 2 years. I believe less than 500 miles since 2013... Not sure why it would have been parked for so long. I guess in the LS what else should I take a look at knowing that it's been practically sitting for so long?
Fortunately with the low mileage I am able to get a 4 year 50k mile platinum (practically bumper to bumper) warranty for 895 with a 250 deductible for 1400 for no deductible through my CU.
Irregardless, I think that's the car I'll most likely go for at this point. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow and hopefully during the course of the day we'll have a deal and by Tuesday I'll have my "new" car. I'll keep the thread updated with the outcome.
Looks great. Where do u get a warranty for that price?
Old 05-03-15, 03:15 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm pretty sure that today, most if not all new cars are 50-state compliant. I don't think you'll have any problem with an out of state Lexus purchase. IMO.
Old 05-04-15, 12:53 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by R Z
Looks great. Where do u get a warranty for that price?
Reached a deal with them. Hopefully when I go to pick up the car in the morning everything looks good. Can't wait!

My local Credit Union quoted me that much. There's practically no reason not to get it at that price. The Silver plan is only 680 bucks for 36 months 36k.

Quick Reply: Looking to Leave Audi and Join Lexus