LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Looking to Leave Audi and Join Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 07:00 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Looking to Leave Audi and Join Lexus

I was told to start a new thread so I'll just copy and paste info from the other thread here:

Hi Guys! Thought I would chime in on this thread that I'm also thinking about switching over from my A6 to 2008 LS 460.
Specifically I'm looking at this: http://www.morriesmazda.com/Used-200...MN/vd/24538699
Any insight on what I should watch for? I've studied this forum for the last couple days and I think I have a good idea what to look for at least from the Lexus Service records, but what else should I look for in General? Also does that price look good? I'll be test driving it this Friday and if I like I might go for it although the fact that it is RWD and this is MN will be a hamper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandl
Price is pretty high even for a L versions in my opinion...here in Dallas area is a 2010 for almost the same price http://m.charltonmotors.com/#/vehicle/5414812

In terms of things to look out for, suspension is a big thing to watch for especially if it has air suspension. It is a heavy car so check the brakes and, of course, all electronic gizmos and buttons. Other than that it should ride pretty smooth!!

Wow! That's pretty inexpensive.. Cars in Minnesota tend to be on the higher side, but that gives me a basis on how I can negotiate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Z
Welcome.

The 2012 would be the car to own. While the Lexus site will be valuable, there's no real way to know everything. Just what's been printed. But it's a fine indication. If the price is right jump on it.

As for the 08 LS, I noticed it has the ML system. That is value added. With regard to price, I wouldn't say it's high, but do a kbb.com evaluation and get a mid range price. Then negotiate from there.

The ML system is definitely awesome! It seems to be listed below KBB but it looks like I can get newer models for an even lower price around the country. Maybe I can play that card? haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryrunner
The Mark Levinson system is good for a stock system. But really pales when compared to even a modest custom setup.

Doesn't matter to me. I know it's going to be a big step up from the Bose system in my A6 (which by the way I think sounds fantastic but that's partly because I have to live with it..) I'm not looking to go custom at all. If I really want to do critical listening, I have 2 stereo systems (B&W as well as a Def Tech) at home for that.
Old 04-20-15, 08:19 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

As far as the price, I would go to Edmunds, KBB and NADA and plug in all the info and see the kind of values you get. It will at least give you a range.

A number of RWD owners here have reported good traction in snow with quality snow tires.
Old 04-21-15, 05:26 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

The price seems a little steep at this point. I'm starting to see LS460's in the 17,000-22,000 dollar range, with similar mileage. I paid 22k for mine a year and a half ago, with 70k miles on it. It is an 07 short wheel base, RWD, no air suspension, etc, but the thing is still pretty loaded. It's probably worth 18k now - it now has 95k miles on it.

I do think you're going to like the LS - Audi is a very finicky car to own - the repairs are best left to professionals and their engines love to burn oil. I can't tell you how many Audi's I've seen with oil problems. A girl I know owned a A6, the thing would go through a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. She then traded it in for the Q5...I added 2 quarts of oil to it (because her oil light was on) and it still wasn't enough to shut her low oil light off (Audi doesn't use a dipstick anymore, they have a system like BMW where you read the level on the dash). She ended up selling it.

Went to an Audi class 8 years ago, their factory reps bragged about how if you drive them like a maniac, they won't burn oil. It wasn't the first time I heard someone say that...so their solution was to redline it, become a Formula One driver and everything will be fine. Of course they didn't mention you'd be needing to spend 10k on the transmission you'll blow, but hey! They're Audi and they're just awesome.
Old 04-21-15, 06:16 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
As far as the price, I would go to Edmunds, KBB and NADA and plug in all the info and see the kind of values you get. It will at least give you a range.

A number of RWD owners here have reported good traction in snow with quality snow tires.
I've heard of people having very good experiences with RWD and snow tires. But it still doesn't beat AWD with snow tires.. The A6 was unbeatable this season.

Originally Posted by Doublebase
The price seems a little steep at this point. I'm starting to see LS460's in the 17,000-22,000 dollar range, with similar mileage. I paid 22k for mine a year and a half ago, with 70k miles on it. It is an 07 short wheel base, RWD, no air suspension, etc, but the thing is still pretty loaded. It's probably worth 18k now - it now has 95k miles on it.

I do think you're going to like the LS - Audi is a very finicky car to own - the repairs are best left to professionals and their engines love to burn oil. I can't tell you how many Audi's I've seen with oil problems. A girl I know owned a A6, the thing would go through a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. She then traded it in for the Q5...I added 2 quarts of oil to it (because her oil light was on) and it still wasn't enough to shut her low oil light off (Audi doesn't use a dipstick anymore, they have a system like BMW where you read the level on the dash). She ended up selling it.

Went to an Audi class 8 years ago, their factory reps bragged about how if you drive them like a maniac, they won't burn oil. It wasn't the first time I heard someone say that...so their solution was to redline it, become a Formula One driver and everything will be fine. Of course they didn't mention you'd be needing to spend 10k on the transmission you'll blow, but hey! They're Audi and they're just awesome.
Looks like I'll start looking around the states around me to see what kinds of prices I can come up with and armed with that information hopefully be able to negotiate a better deal... Although I doubt they'd be able to drop 4-6k to get into the 20-22 range.

Surprisingly my A6 has been pretty good.. No burning oil whatsoever over all pretty reliable.. I should mention I did have the timing chains replaced to the tune of over 3k but after that, it's been pretty good for the last 20k miles. Obviously ownership costs are going through the roof so I might as well get out before things start getting astronomical.
Old 04-21-15, 06:59 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default LS-Reliability Champ

You will notice a suspension difference. The Audi is a curve-carver. The LS is a very quick cruiser and the ride is comfortably at any speed.

If the drivetrain jars or has slack...walk away. Give it a few acceleration tests to decide if you like the way the 8-speed operates. Some cars have wind noise from the door mirror area that are alledgedly an easy fix. Happy shopping, hopefully you find one you like. As a total package the LS is hard to beat. They are delightful for passengers & drivers
Old 04-21-15, 07:02 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Another question I had but haven't really found an answer for it: Does the LS have ambient lighting? One thing I've come to love about my A6 is how the whole car seems to glow at night.. gives a space ship feeling when driving. In the A6's case all the footwells and door sills glow daylight white at night while the door handles and dashboard area glow red. Is it a similar case with the LS?
Old 04-21-15, 07:34 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
Another question I had but haven't really found an answer for it: Does the LS have ambient lighting? One thing I've come to love about my A6 is how the whole car seems to glow at night.. gives a space ship feeling when driving. In the A6's case all the footwells and door sills glow daylight white at night while the door handles and dashboard area glow red. Is it a similar case with the LS?
Yes, there is ambient lighting everywhere and has red glow. Some of us members have removed the red filters from the LEDs in the foot-wells to have them a little brighter/whiter.

On another note....how was you A6? Reliability? Did you consider upgrading to an A8?

I absolutely love the A8 or S8 and would have bought one, but after my BMW 7 series nightmares, I've sworn against any future German marques. I'm extremely happy with my LS and can't see myself ever driving anything else.
Old 04-21-15, 07:41 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I still say it's not a bad price for an L. I have the 08 LS and there is some ambient lighting. I don't know anything about the L version. But when you go see it, have them bring it inside and check it out.
Old 04-21-15, 07:43 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase

Sounds like a poor excuse to convince others that you are not driving an Audi right.
I have seen all kinds of excuses from German car aficionados. The worst are the Italians with their funny car logic.
Old 04-21-15, 07:46 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Further to my previous post and to be specific, there is lighting in all foot-wells, door handle areas, overhead near the sunroof that casts light onto the console, inside the console and depending on model, perhaps some others areas.

The worst are the Italians with their funny car logic.
ie: "Italian Tune-up."
Old 04-21-15, 08:12 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by superdenso
You will notice a suspension difference. The Audi is a curve-carver. The LS is a very quick cruiser and the ride is comfortably at any speed.

If the drivetrain jars or has slack...walk away. Give it a few acceleration tests to decide if you like the way the 8-speed operates. Some cars have wind noise from the door mirror area that are alledgedly an easy fix. Happy shopping, hopefully you find one you like. As a total package the LS is hard to beat. They are delightful for passengers & drivers
I do a lot of driving so the increased comfort of the LS will be welcome. Hopefully it's able to handle some spirited driving every once in a while.

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Yes, there is ambient lighting everywhere and has red glow. Some of us members have removed the red filters from the LEDs in the foot-wells to have them a little brighter/whiter.

On another note....how was you A6? Reliability? Did you consider upgrading to an A8?

I absolutely love the A8 or S8 and would have bought one, but after my BMW 7 series nightmares, I've sworn against any future German marques. I'm extremely happy with my LS and can't see myself ever driving anything else.
Awesome. Too bad you can't change colors like you can on the S-Class.
The A6 was/is really reliable in my book. Never left me stranded once. Other than scheduled maintenance and oil changes, nothing out of the ordinary. I did have the timing chains replaced, but that was because I did it out of paranoia.. it actually wasn't needed. But now that it's getting higher in miles (130k) now might be a good time to get out before things get really expensive since this is around the magical number when you need to start replacing practically everything.
I have considered upgrading to the A8. I'll be taking a look at some A8's also, but one of the things that's turning me off is air suspension.. every single A8 came with air suspension and when it goes, it's not exactly inexpensive on any car. I haven't really considered the S8 because A: The V10 needs a lot of maintenance. B: The TFSI V8 S8 is still pretty pricey and surprisingly kind of difficult to find.
Either way, I want to try something new and it might be the LS. We'll see how things play out.
Old 04-21-15, 08:17 AM
ambrown307
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always found that pricing sites (KBB, Nada, Edmunds) to be pretty inaccurate. For example, a 07 or 08 LS will sell for significantly less private party because most have a 7 year warranty that has expired by now. The best thing that I've done is to go to the Craigslist of the largest city in your area (think L.A., Dallas, ect) and run a search. You'll quickly see what kind of prices those cars are being listed for on a large scale. Then just keep an eye out locally for something similar.
Old 04-21-15, 08:21 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
Sounds like a poor excuse to convince others that you are not driving an Audi right.
I have seen all kinds of excuses from German car aficionados. The worst are the Italians with their funny car logic.
Originally Posted by roadfrog
Further to my previous post and to be specific, there is lighting in all foot-wells, door handle areas, overhead near the sunroof that casts light onto the console, inside the console and depending on model, perhaps some others areas.

ie: "Italian Tune-up."
I guess we'll see when I check it out on Friday. Hopefully it lights up as well as my A6.. When I bought it I didn't know it had ambient lighting and that night I was awed. Sometimes it's the little things haha

And for the record, I do drive it like I stole it a few times a week...
Does the logic actually work? I don't know. Car has been great and never really had any glaring issues with it.
It's just sad that it's always the wrong things that should never break that end up breaking.. In my case, for example, ABS Module or the fact that Audi in all their finite wisdom put a small ground cable in the breaklight assembly.. so the car will think some bulbs are out (typically rear fog lights) when in reality the bulb is just fine. and to top it off, the thing beeps at you about it.. extremely annoying.
Old 04-21-15, 08:40 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ambrown307
I've always found that pricing sites (KBB, Nada, Edmunds) to be pretty inaccurate. For example, a 07 or 08 LS will sell for significantly less private party because most have a 7 year warranty that has expired by now. The best thing that I've done is to go to the Craigslist of the largest city in your area (think L.A., Dallas, ect) and run a search. You'll quickly see what kind of prices those cars are being listed for on a large scale. Then just keep an eye out locally for something similar.
backI agree.. although if you look at the Minneapolis Craigslist, it's pretty empty of LS 460's apart from the 3 currently on there.
Old 04-21-15, 08:54 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Auto Trader and search within a few hundred miles or more. If you are willing to travel some of the best deals are here in the South. Cars down here don't suffer from rust and corrosion and prices are often better. Private owner FL vehicles are some of my favorites.

Quick Reply: Looking to Leave Audi and Join Lexus