LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-15, 10:19 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Ride quality

I have been driving LS models for 10+ years. 6 months ago purchased a 2009 CPO with 42k miles - perfect condition. Car had a vibration when driving. To make a long story short, over several months dealer road force balanced 4 times, replaced Michelin Pilot tires with brand new Michelin Pilots (vibration still there) and last week put brand new Bridgestone Turanza tires on (same as came on the car originally). They also checked every driveline component, suspension, etc for 2 days and all was ok. Drove 500 miles this weekend. Tires are fine - very smooth. But, I still get a constant "vibration" felt in my seat. It feels as though every single variation in road smoothness is translated to the seat - as though the suspension does not absorb anything - feels like I am riding on a bowl of jello that is constantly "jiggling". The Lexus service manager also reported that my car now rides as smooth or better than new models (he drove two 2015 models and said they were worse than my car).

Prior to this car I drove a 2007 LS460 and did not notice this. I read other posts on the internet about the LS460 ride quality not being good as Lexus has changed the suspension.

Is what I am experiencing "normal" now for a Lexus 460? Is there anything else that could be causing this ride quality?
Old 04-19-15, 12:36 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Not much changed between 07 and 09 suspension wise. Is the rim size different? Big rims transfer a lot into the car. Tires, control arms, and shocks would be the next logical step. As you mentioned it's not the tires. Vibrations can come from all kinds of areas. May not be related to the suspension at all if its constant and does not vary with the road.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-19-15 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-19-15, 12:42 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If you can isolate it to one side of the car or rear vs front, may be easier to determine if damaged wheel or defective strut is the cause.

Last edited by Silverpaws; 04-19-15 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-19-15, 03:40 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
If you can isolate it to one side of the car or rear vs front, maybe easier to determine if damaged wheel or defective strut is the cause.
GOT to be Something there, i've Never rode in another Vehicle that has the Comfort of the LS460! That's just me though (oh, & my wife said the same thing)! to US there's Nuthin' that Compares to this car on a Nice Lil' Road Trip!
Old 04-20-15, 08:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Is your 09 AWD by chance?
Old 04-21-15, 06:25 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

No it is not AWD.
Old 04-21-15, 06:56 AM
JTK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before new tyres were fitted, did they check that the rims were straight (without tyres)? Could be a slightly "out-of-round" rim - worth a check.
Old 04-21-15, 07:31 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by waynedog
I have been driving LS models for 10+ years. 6 months ago purchased a 2009 CPO with 42k miles - perfect condition. Car had a vibration when driving. To make a long story short, over several months dealer road force balanced 4 times, replaced Michelin Pilot tires with brand new Michelin Pilots (vibration still there) and last week put brand new Bridgestone Turanza tires on (same as came on the car originally). They also checked every driveline component, suspension, etc for 2 days and all was ok. Drove 500 miles this weekend. Tires are fine - very smooth. But, I still get a constant "vibration" felt in my seat. It feels as though every single variation in road smoothness is translated to the seat - as though the suspension does not absorb anything - feels like I am riding on a bowl of jello that is constantly "jiggling". The Lexus service manager also reported that my car now rides as smooth or better than new models (he drove two 2015 models and said they were worse than my car).

Prior to this car I drove a 2007 LS460 and did not notice this. I read other posts on the internet about the LS460 ride quality not being good as Lexus has changed the suspension.

Is what I am experiencing "normal" now for a Lexus 460? Is there anything else that could be causing this ride quality?
To answer your question no it's not normal and the dealer is trying to pacify you so you don't come back.
As the poster above me wrote it might be a bad wheel. It could also be a bad drive line component.
Old 04-21-15, 08:41 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

The Lexus dealer told me they checked each rim (with tire off) to make sure they were ok. Also checked driveshaft, U joint, CV joints, etc and claim they cannot find anything. This has been a huge mystery and frustration to me as to why this LS does not ride like others. I guess I can take it to an outside tire shop for balancing. It is just hard to believe that an outside shop would find something a Lexus dealer did not find in 5 different trips?
Old 04-21-15, 08:46 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The Lexus dealer told me they checked each rim (with tire off) to make sure they were ok. Also checked driveshaft, U joint, CV joints, etc and claim they cannot find anything. This has been a huge mystery and frustration to me as to why this LS does not ride like others. I guess I can take it to an outside tire shop for balancing. It is just hard to believe that an outside shop would find something a Lexus dealer did not find in 5 different trips?
What size rims do you have? Are they different then your 07's? Also, do you notice the vibrations changing with the asphalt? In other words, are you sure the transfer is from the road or is it constant under all conditions. If it's constant then I doubt it is tire / suspension related.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-21-15 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-21-15, 09:30 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Does it happen when you sit in the front passenger seat too? wondering if it's in the seat itself possibly.
Old 04-21-15, 09:36 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Get a second and third opinion. Not all dealerships are created equal and it's very well possible they can find the problem but the diagnosis is a pain so they would rather pass it off in hopes you go to someone else.
Old 04-21-15, 11:31 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
What size rims do you have? Are they different then your 07's? Also, do you notice the vibrations changing with the asphalt? In other words, are you sure the transfer is from the road or is it constant under all conditions. If it's constant then I doubt it is tire / suspension related.
I have normal stock 18 inch rims. The vibration does change with road conditions. Smooth, new paved asphalt is better but still the slightest road imperfection or undulation creates "jiggling" in my seat. It feels as thought if I went over a pea I would feel it in my seat.
Old 04-21-15, 11:34 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by aypues
Does it happen when you sit in the front passenger seat too? wondering if it's in the seat itself possibly.
I have not sat in the passenger seat. On a 400 mile trip this weekend my wife was with me and as my seat was vibrating/jiggling the whole trip I asked her if she felt it and said "no - this feels like a normal car to me". But her reference point is her Toyota Sienna while mine is 10 years of driving an LS.
Old 04-21-15, 11:38 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Devh
Get a second and third opinion. Not all dealerships are created equal and it's very well possible they can find the problem but the diagnosis is a pain so they would rather pass it off in hopes you go to someone else.
Unfortunately my next closest Lexus dealer is 1.5 hours away and this diagnostic process will likely be lengthy. I have to give my Lexus dealer an A+ for effort - they have had it 5 times, the latest for 3 days of evaluation. But the results are not there yet. It is mystifying to me that the Service Manager (who has personally worked with me through the whole process) seemed to honestly report that new LS460's ride the same or worse.

The bottom line is - what could cause me to feel (in my seat) every possible road imperfection and slightest undulation? It is like the shock absorbers are absorbing nothing.

Quick Reply: Ride quality