LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Here's a Blackstone Oil Report for an '09 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-15, 08:52 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Here's a Blackstone Oil Report for an '09 LS460

To Roadfrog and anyone else who is interested, attached is the oil analysis report for my 2009 LS460 AWD SWB. I have about 78k miles on it. I purchased it used back in September 2014.

One thing to note is that I added a bottle of ZMax to my oil but totally forgot to mention that to Blackstone. I'm not sure how that may or may not have impacted their conclusions about some of my levels.

I would be curious to hear how my results compare to others' results. I'm not entirely sure how to read into all of the details of the report. I certainly am not happy about Blackstone's comments about potential early engine wear. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Thanks.
Attached Files
Old 04-17-15, 10:49 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

This part:

Potassium and sodium can show coolant, but since potassium is low the
sodium may also be additive from the oil itself.
I had the same reading on my last analysis last year, so I wouldn't worry about it, since no moisture ws present in sample. However, those readings for iron and aluminum is concerning. Mine were 3 and 9

I'll be sending in a new sample in the coming weeks, so we'll see.
Old 04-18-15, 04:20 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

What type of oil did you use? Because it wasn't an extended drain interval and yet there wasn't much additive left in the oil. I would think most synthetics would be able to handle the 5k mile interval easily, but it looked like yours didn't.

And as far as zMAX goes, I'm a firm believer that all oil additives are nothing more than marketing scams/snake oil. But I'm also a firm believer that if it makes you feel good to use it, use it. I'm dead serious when I say that. But just by looking at your report, it doesn't look like the zmax was any added benefit.

I have 7200 miles on my oil right now and I've got to tell you I don't feel comfortable going that far (I know many go 10,000, but I guess I'm old fashion...plus looking at your analysis makes me think that maybe I shouldn't venture much beyond where I'm at right now). Right now I'm running Toyota synthetic, but I just bought some Mobil 1 extended performance that was on sale. Supposedly it can go 15,000 miles, but I sure the hell not going to venture into that territory.

Last edited by Doublebase; 04-18-15 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-18-15, 07:24 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

I don't know exactly what oil was in my car because this is my first oil change since I bought it. However Blackstone said the weight was consistent with 0w-20. I am sure the dealership I bought it from didn't use Toyota oil.

I did the oil change myself and used Mobil 1. I will send in another sample in about 5k miles to see how I am doing. I do not plan to put in any more additives.

My oil report's high metal readings and mention of engine wear concern me but is there anything I can do about it?
Old 04-18-15, 08:57 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by wayman28
I don't know exactly what oil was in my car because this is my first oil change since I bought it. However Blackstone said the weight was consistent with 0w-20. I am sure the dealership I bought it from didn't use Toyota oil.

I did the oil change myself and used Mobil 1. I will send in another sample in about 5k miles to see how I am doing. I do not plan to put in any more additives.

My oil report's high metal readings and mention of engine wear concern me but is there anything I can do about it?
Use the oil that has a high concentration of moly in it. Only Toyota Synthetic has the formulation that is meant for our engines and if they add more moly then Mobil one there is a good reason behind it.

Zmax and a whole host of additives at best do nothing and at worse spoil the oil formulation and it's protective ability. Also Zmax was found to be nothing more then pigmented mineral oil. Like Duralube they were taken to task by numerous complaints and investigated by the FTC.

The Federal Trade Commission has filed suit in U. S. District Court seeking to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and has asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleges that enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually tinted mineral oil. zMax is manufactured by Oil-Chem, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Speedway, based in Concord, North Carolina, operates NASCAR race tracks in the South and in California, in addition to marketing the zMax products.
Old 04-18-15, 10:12 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Yes, I planned on using Toyota synthetic for my next oil change. I was going to use it for this recent oil change but I had 15 qts of Mobil 1 I wanted to use up first. It will be interesting to see how the oil analysis results will differ with the different brands of oil I plan on using. This report I just shared was with oil that I can only assume was of mediocre quality, the next will be with Mobil 1 (which is in my car now) and the next will be with Toyota synthetic.

Assuming my driving habits stay constant this will be an interesting non-scientific experiment to compare the performance of different oils (it's just going to take another 10k miles and about a year to complete)
Old 04-18-15, 12:21 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wayman28

Looking forward to seeing your next report. I really don't know how to prevent the metal readings you're getting, but I bet a better oil might help. Good luck.
Old 04-18-15, 12:36 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I guess if it were me, I'd be more concerned with getting a fresh start and using an oil that I know meets the car's needs, like the Toyota 0W20. Then I'd worry about the excess bottles of Mobil 1 I had laying about later. That will at least give you a baseline free of additives (like the Zmax), etc....especially given the odd figures in your analysis.
Old 04-18-15, 01:43 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I guess if it were me, I'd be more concerned with getting a fresh start and using an oil that I know meets the car's needs, like the Toyota 0W20. Then I'd worry about the excess bottles of Mobil 1 I had laying about later. That will at least give you a baseline free of additives (like the Zmax), etc....especially given the odd figures in your analysis.
I certainly plan on using Toyota oil going forward. I didn't think Mobil 1 was a bad brand to use. The Mobil 1 is in my car now and only has about a couple hundred miles on it. Are you suggesting I should dump it and do another oil change now with Toyota oil?
Old 04-18-15, 03:19 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Roadfrog, would you mind telling us what the oil type/weight/results were for the oil you sent off? Maybe we an get a members to add their results to this thread also. I plan on sending a sample my next oil change.
Old 04-18-15, 03:30 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Roadfrogs analysis https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...eports-pdf.pdf
Old 04-18-15, 05:45 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is150
Roadfrog, would you mind telling us what the oil type/weight/results were for the oil you sent off? Maybe we an get a members to add their results to this thread also. I plan on sending a sample my next oil change.
If I remember correctly it was Quaker State Ultimate Durability. Which some would consider a quality oil, especially considering the price. Quaker State and Penzoil are from the same oil manufacturer and Penzoil is widely respected.

I think when you consider any of these oils, keep in mind that they can (and do) change their formulas around from year to year. I imagine it's for the benefit of the product/consumer, but then again we are talking about oil companies...big business...big advertising...lots of fancy bottles and big words...with most people not realizing what the hell is going on. Toyota Genuine Motor Oil has changed their formula over the years, Christ Castrol changes theirs every other month. You'll see changes in their moly counts, TBN, etc, depending on performance and I'm sure price as well.

And I'd be very skeptical of some of the test comparisons from manufacturer to manufacturer, you don't know who is running those tests. And I wouldn't read too much into "customer reviews". For all the talk about Blackstone labs - I read on the internet that most of the people that work there don't even use synthetic oil - they don't see the value in it. I find that pretty interesting seeing how these people test oil for a living.
Old 04-18-15, 09:14 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

If I remember correctly it was Quaker State Ultimate Durability.
Correct. A quality oil highly regarded on BITOG. Alas, hesitation was prominent afterwards.

I didn't think Mobil 1 was a bad brand to use. The Mobil 1 is in my car now and only has about a couple hundred miles on it. Are you suggesting I should dump it and do another oil change now with Toyota oil?
It's a fantastic oil and in fact, Mobil 1 makes the Toyota oil. However, it's additive package is not tailored to our LS' and their VVT-I systems. The (Mobil 1) Toyota stuff is. No.....I would not "dump it". I would go ahead and use it for the duration of this OCI. However, afterwards, I would use the Toyota Oil System cleaner and then use nothing but 0W20 Toyota stuff after.
Old 04-19-15, 11:32 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by roadfrog
It's a fantastic oil and in fact, Mobil 1 makes the Toyota oil. However, it's additive package is not tailored to our LS' and their VVT-I systems. The (Mobil 1) Toyota stuff is. No.....I would not "dump it". I would go ahead and use it for the duration of this OCI. However, afterwards, I would use the Toyota Oil System cleaner and then use nothing but 0W20 Toyota stuff after.
Yup agreed. That was indeed my plan. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-19-15, 02:24 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I had a good look at the oil report.
It appears to me there was nothing wrong with the oil. The TBN was fine and there was no major additive depletion, viscosity issue and the flash point was just fine.

There was however very high metal wear and I believe it was because of the Zmax . There have been many complaints of Zmax and other oil additives ruining engines in a short time.

Quick Reply: Here's a Blackstone Oil Report for an '09 LS460