LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone change/flush transmission fluid themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-15, 08:13 AM
konradl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone change/flush transmission fluid themselves?

With my 07 LS460 passing the 118k mark, I'd like to get the tranny fluid changed as a preventative maintenance step. I've read through the transmission maintenance post in the DIY section, but info is very limited. Although I'd like to believe transmission fluid in these cars is supposed to last 'forever', it just doesn't make sense, as tranny fluid does break down and putting in new fluid should only prolong its life. Again, in Canada, it is recommended every 96k KMs.

Has anyone done this procedure themselves? I've done drain-and-refills on most of my previous cars and is a pretty simple task. Just want to make sure I cover all my bases if there are particular steps I should follow.

Sounds like there are drain, refill and overflow plugs on these cars and WS Toyota tranny fluid should be used - please correct me if I'm wrong. Fluid should be drained, plugged up and refilled to the point where it comes out of the overflow plug.

In conjunction, I'm also thinking about changing out the rear diff fluid as well if anyone has any input on that.

Cheers!
Old 04-17-15, 08:18 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Check this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ine-noise.html

I would not recommended doing it yourself personally but if you have the technical knowledge then it probably is fine. You are right about it needing to be changed. Only Lexus North America called it a "lifetime" fluid and this was just to keep maintenance cost down as a sales tactic. They tried the same thing for the 04 - 06 430. There is no such thing as a lifetime fluid. If you want that transmission to last as long as the engine you need to service the fluid regularly.

6. FLUID LEVEL CHECK
NOTICE:
The fluid temperature must be between 46_C (115_F) and
56_C (130_F) to accurately check the fluid level.
(a) Remove the overflow plug with the engine idling.
(b) Check that the fluid comes out of the overflow tube.
_ If fluid does not come out, proceed to step 7
_ If fluid comes out, wait until the over-flow slows to
a trickle and proceed to step 8.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-17-15 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-17-15, 08:38 AM
konradl
Rookie

Thanks Lav. Lots of great info in that thread which I didn't see before, especially in regards to warming it up and rechecking the fluid level, as a warmed up transmission will take more fluid than a cold will. I did my Dodge Ram fluid change in a similar manner.

Can you confirm that there are three plugs there? Drain, overflow and refill? After draining, I refill through the refill hole and wait for it to come out of the overflow?

Also, as far as refilling with the correct amount goes, another way to make sure you don't under/overfill is to measure the amount taken out and refill with same amount- Is that a fair statement in this case?
Old 04-17-15, 10:17 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't do it myself. Lexus of South Atlanta only charges $99 for the procedure. I find this too attractive vs doing it myself. Yes there is the 3 you mentioned. The problem with measuring is it does not account for perfect amounts. Use it as a baseline but check via the factory procedure. It's always better to be a little over then under when it comes to the transmission fluid.

Here, found this for ya.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID.pdf (168.0 KB, 667 views)

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-17-15 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-17-15, 12:33 PM
konradl
Rookie

Thanks again Lav - the PDF also helps.
I'll check with the local Lexus dealer what they charge here. I assumed it would be a lot more, but if $99 is the case, then that's a no brainer. I appreciate the heads up and I'll let you know which way I go.
Old 04-17-15, 01:18 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I did it myself a year ago. There are some key facts you should know before you try it.
1. The temperature of the fluid is vital for proper level, and you NEED that level to be accurate.
2. The filter in the transmission is a felt style, not screen mesh
3. I think you'd be better of doing a simple drain and fill
4. The gasket on the pan is high quality and probably reusable
5. You are going to need some sort of hand held pump
6. If you can find a reputable guy to do it (that knows what he's doing), bring it therre and save yourself the trouble
7. You are right, it's not a lifetime fluid
Old 04-17-15, 01:53 PM
konradl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I did it myself a year ago. There are some key facts you should know before you try it.
1. The temperature of the fluid is vital for proper level, and you NEED that level to be accurate.
2. The filter in the transmission is a felt style, not screen mesh
3. I think you'd be better of doing a simple drain and fill
4. The gasket on the pan is high quality and probably reusable
5. You are going to need some sort of hand held pump
6. If you can find a reputable guy to do it (that knows what he's doing), bring it therre and save yourself the trouble
7. You are right, it's not a lifetime fluid
Thanks for the tips Doublebase - great information. A few follow up questions...
- to reach the appropriate temperature to where you are able to check the fluid, did you warm up the motor and bang through the gears?
- how did you check the fluid level? Is that done by just taking out the overflow and refill plugs and adding fluid till it start to drip out of the overfill?
- did you drop the pan and change out the filter or just a basic drain and fill?
- how did you drain the fluid? By dropping the pan or by using the drain plug? Lav mentioned above that there is a drain plug.
- re: handheld pump. Is that for pumping fluid from the new bottle into the refill hole due to the high location of the refill hole?
- which fluid did you end up using and did you notice any behavioral changes afterwards?
Old 04-17-15, 02:22 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by konradl
Thanks for the tips Doublebase - great information. A few follow up questions...
- to reach the appropriate temperature to where you are able to check the fluid, did you warm up the motor and bang through the gears?
- how did you check the fluid level? Is that done by just taking out the overflow and refill plugs and adding fluid till it start to drip out of the overfill?
- did you drop the pan and change out the filter or just a basic drain and fill?
- how did you drain the fluid? By dropping the pan or by using the drain plug? Lav mentioned above that there is a drain plug.
- re: handheld pump. Is that for pumping fluid from the new bottle into the refill hole due to the high location of the refill hole?
- which fluid did you end up using and did you notice any behavioral changes afterwards?
I wish I had the exact procedure for you involving the temp check. It went some thing like this...jumper wire across 2 pins in the data link connector, air conditioning off, start car, put transmission into D1, shift through D6, go between drive and neutral 6 times, put it in park. When the D (for drive) lights up on the dash, you are in range. When it starts to blink, you have exceeded the temp. And when it's not on you haven't reached temp. I'm willing to bet you can find the procedure on line.

I drained the fluid out of the plug on the pan....the fluid was so dark I decided to pull the pan. Once I did that I cleaned the magnets (they weren't bad), then I changed the filter. I added the fluid through the service/fill port on the side of the transmission (drivers side I believe). Then I did the temp procedure - when it reached temp I pulled the check plug on the pan (the one closest to the engine). You want to have the fluid pour out in a light stream...not a heavy flow, not a drip, but a light stream.

I used only WS fluid. I believe some have used other brands, but I stuck with the WS. From what I hear it's a very high viscosity fluid, but it is not lifetime and it's not synthetic. I've also heard/seen that it gets very dark when it's introduced to sunlight and heat.

I did mine at 70k...I have put 25k on it since then. It drives fine. It shifts fine. I plan on doing a simple drain and fill on it at 30k - I figure whereas I just changed the filter and got every last drop out (trust me I did), that a drain and fill will be fine. The reason I know I got every ounce of fluid out is because when I first did it I was planning on a simple drain and fills when it came out very dark, I filled it up, drove it for a week and then did the whole thing over again (plus dropped the pan). Then it took me a while to really get the fluid level right (more draining and filling). All in all I went through 12 quarts. It was a royal pain.

Last edited by Doublebase; 04-17-15 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-17-15, 11:06 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

As most know here at CL, I'm a staunch and die-hard DIY'er. HOWEVER, this is one job that I will NOT do myself. There are way too many idiosyncrasies with the procedure to sway me from spending 150 dollars for someone else to do it PROPERLY. Techstream is required as well. This flush as well as the brake flush/bleed requires Techstream. Just not worth the hassle, especially if you under or overfill because of fluid temperature.
Old 04-17-15, 11:30 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

AA80E AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID: ADJUSTMENT

ADJUSTMENT

1.BEFORE REFILL TRANSMISSION
•This transmission requires Toyota Genuine ATF WS transmission fluid.
•After servicing the transmission, you must refill the transmission with the correct amount of fluid.
•Maintain the vehicle in a horizontal position while adjusting the fluid level.
•If the entire transmission, transmission pan, drain plug, valve body and/or torque converter is replaced, proceed to the "FILL TRANSMISSION PAN" procedures.
•If the transmission hose, extension housing oil seal and/or radiator is replaced and/or a repair of oil leak is performed, proceed to the "ADJUST FLUID LEVEL" procedures.
2.FILL TRANSMISSION PAN

(a)

Lift the vehicle up while keeping a level state.

(b)

Remove the refill plug and overflow plug.

c)

Fill the transmission through the refill hole until fluid begins to trickle out from the overflow tube.

d)

Reinstall the overflow plug.

3.FILL TRANSMISSION

(a)

Fill the transmission with the amount of fluid listed in the table below.

Standard capacity:

4.ADJUST FLUID LEVEL

(a)

w/o Air Suspension:

Using SST, connect terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3.

SST: 09843-18040

(b)

w/ Air Suspension:

Using SST, connect terminals 13 (TC), 11 (OPB) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3.

SST: 09843-18040

(c)

Start the engine.

NOTE: Air conditioning switch must be turned off.

(d)

Slowly move the shift lever from P to S, then move the shift lever from the 1 to 8. Then return the shift lever to P.

(e)

Move the shift lever to the D position, and quickly move back and forth between N and D (once per less than 1.5 seconds) for at least 6 seconds.

This will activate the fluid temperature detection mode.

Standard:
Indicator light (D) remains illuminated for 2 seconds and then goes off.

(f)

w/o Air Suspension:

Return the shift lever to the P position and disconnect terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG).

(g)

w/ Air Suspension:

Return the shift lever to the P position and disconnect terminal 13 (TC).

(h)

Idle the engine to raise the temperature of the ATF.

(i)

When the indicator light (D) turns on, lift the vehicle up immediately.

Indicator light will indicate the ATF temperature:

NOTE: Perform fluid level inspection while the indicator light turns on.

j)

Remove the overflow plug. At the proper fluid inspection temperature, check the fluid amount.

If the ATF flows from the overflow tube and the ATF flows in a thin stream, the fluid amount is normal.
If the ATF does not flow from the overflow tube, add ATF into the refill hole until ATF flows from the overflow tube. If the ATF flows in a thin stream, the fluid amount is normal.

(k)

Install a new gasket and the overflow plug.

Torque: 20 Nm (204 kgf-cm, 15 ft-lbf)

(l)

Install a new O-ring and the refill plug.

Torque: 39 Nm (398 kgf-cm, 29 ft-lbf)

(m)

Lower the vehicle down.

(n)

Turn the engine switch off.

(o)

w/ Air Suspension:

Disconnect the terminals 11 (OPB) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3.
Old 04-18-15, 04:55 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
As most know here at CL, I'm a staunch and die-hard DIY'er. HOWEVER, this is one job that I will NOT do myself. There are way too many idiosyncrasies with the procedure to sway me from spending 150 dollars for someone else to do it PROPERLY. Techstream is required as well. This flush as well as the brake flush/bleed requires Techstream. Just not worth the hassle, especially if you under or overfill because of fluid temperature.
I agree 100% - this is not a job for the average DIY'er or even the above average DIY'er, but believe me it can be done and you don't need techstream. Can you use techstream to do this procedure? Yes. Would it be easier to use techstream? Yes. Do I wish I had techstream? Yes. But Lexus allows you to do this service without their scan tool software program - thank God - all you have to do is simply jump the connectors listed, follow the directions in regards to moving the shifter through a sequence, then just wait until the D lights up on the dash. After it does you quickly raise the vehicle on the lift and pull the drain fluid check plug. If nothing comes out? You haven't filled it enough. If it streams out or gushes out? Let it drain until you reach a light stream, then quickly reinstall the plug.

When you take it to a dealer, keep in mind that they are NOT dropping the pain. They are not cleaning off your magnets. And they are not changing your filter. All they are doing is using a machine that takes out a specific amount and puts that exact same amount back in. Which might be fine, but the LS 460 does NOT use a metal screen transmission filter like so many other Lexus vehicles. It is a felt/fiberglass/paper/whatever the material they use, filter. The filter kit alone is 45-70 dollars...add in another $70 for 10 quarts of WS fluid and you're at $115-$140, without labor, which would add another $100-$150. And I'm basing those prices not on dealer prices, but by shopping around for the kit, fluid and independent shops...you can add another $100 from the dealer.

Personally I don't really know if changing the filter is necessary, but I did it any only because I was planning on doing a simple drain and fill, but when I noticed the color of the fluid (incredibly dark) I got nervous and thought further investigating was necessary.

Last edited by Doublebase; 04-18-15 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-18-15, 09:02 AM
Hwyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
Lexus replaced my transmission on my 2011 LS. It shifted fine, but to me you could hear the transmission a little too much. (The dealership said It was leased from their dealership by a Silicon Valley corporate exec.) After replacement under warranty, the transmission is very quiet.

Since I have a new transmission, I too want to keep the transmission fluid fresh. I was thinking at 30,000 miles to do a drain and fill, measuring the exact amount that was drained out and then replacing it with the same amount. All done with the transmission cold.

I wouldn't mind having Lexus do it, but sometimes it is hit and miss when they perform work on your car. They simply get in a hurry and don't get it right. Then on to the next job.

I have read numerous threads on this topic, and considering how sensitive these transmissions are, I will admit I'm on the fence about this DIY fluid change. Does any one see a problem with the cold drain and refill?
Old 04-18-15, 12:28 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hwyman
Hey guys,
Lexus replaced my transmission on my 2011 LS. It shifted fine, but to me you could hear the transmission a little too much. (The dealership said It was leased from their dealership by a Silicon Valley corporate exec.) After replacement under warranty, the transmission is very quiet.

Since I have a new transmission, I too want to keep the transmission fluid fresh. I was thinking at 30,000 miles to do a drain and fill, measuring the exact amount that was drained out and then replacing it with the same amount. All done with the transmission cold.

I wouldn't mind having Lexus do it, but sometimes it is hit and miss when they perform work on your car. They simply get in a hurry and don't get it right. Then on to the next job.

I have read numerous threads on this topic, and considering how sensitive these transmissions are, I will admit I'm on the fence about this DIY fluid change. Does any one see a problem with the cold drain and refill?
As long as you measure the fluid and put the exact amount in, I think it's a great idea. In fact I'm doing that myself next month.
Old 04-18-15, 12:58 PM
Hwyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Doublebase. When you do your drain and fill, perhaps you can post the steps you took to get the replacement amount exact. Seeing how the only way to replace the fluid is via a hand pump, it may pose some challenges. It is certainly nice to have knowledgeable guys on this forum!
Old 04-19-15, 09:11 PM
chris07ls
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the differential: I changed the gear oil at about 55k and it was super clean. I felt foolish for doing it. I changed the differential oil in my sons Infiniti at 50k and it was extremely dirty, so I thought I should do the lexus - not the case.

I have 111K on the trans fluid and need a change - you guys think that measuring the drain amount and refilling it with the exact amount of fresh fuid will save you the hassle of doing the temp test.

Quick Reply: Anyone change/flush transmission fluid themselves?