LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Test Drives

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-15, 10:23 AM
dfrosch
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2k
How does the porshe panamera compares to the LS?

Googled this. The comparisons are a little dated, but the LS seems to edge out the Panamera every time.

http://carsort.com/compare/Lexus-LS-vs-Porsche-Panamera

http://cars.axlegeeks.com/compare/37...4-Lexus-LS-460

http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/speci...are/9099,9130/
Old 04-11-15, 11:08 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
We have something in common as I also worked in a Saab dealership in my first year of college.
This way before GM got their hands on them. GM took over Saab and I believe Ford has taken over Volvo. This is not American Ford and GM, this is essentially the European divisions of these companies and from what I read it was primarily German engineers that had everything to do with all of the problems.
There is a lot of mysticism surrounding German Engineering and how advanced the Germans were during WW2 but a lot of it is myth even von Braun work. The fact of the matter is the US was far more advanced and continues to be however the biggest problem with the US car industry is management influenced by greed and unions.
Small world, back then I really liked both the 900 and 9000 turbos...both were pretty fun to drive. I used to do the 30 and 60k mile services on those things in an hour and a half, and that was including brakes and replacing exhaust system (plugs, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter, oil change, coolant change, tranny service, brakes, exhaust, reset the light, tire rotation, time the engine, add techron, etc). I think the whole job was over 2 grand which was a lot of money back then, but they were pretty easy to work on.
Old 04-11-15, 11:31 AM
Hwyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
That's cool! I've thought about adding some sound insulation as well. The problem I'm having is with tire noise, of course it may just be the tires, but I'm still thinking of doing something. Is it an involved project?

I do think the car is well insulated as it is - in the winter the thing holds in the heat better than any car I've ever owned, I can shut it off, leave it outside for a few hours, get back in and it feels as if it hasn't lost much in terms of temperature. Whereas with every other car I've ever owned it's like an ice box after a few hours. Still I'd love to get rid of the tire noise.

Doublebase, my goal was to having a clean look with no indications of bulges or lack of smooth carpet. In short, 30 minutes for each foot well and 90 minutes for each side of the transmission tunnel. This was limited to the front seat area only. Time spent was well worth it. I was very happy with the end result.

I chose to do this because I wanted to improve the quietness of the car. But as stock, it is still was nice.
Old 04-11-15, 11:33 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Small world, back then I really liked both the 900 and 9000 turbos...both were pretty fun to drive. I used to do the 30 and 60k mile services on those things in an hour and a half, and that was including brakes and replacing exhaust system (plugs, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter, oil change, coolant change, tranny service, brakes, exhaust, reset the light, tire rotation, time the engine, add techron, etc). I think the whole job was over 2 grand which was a lot of money back then, but they were pretty easy to work on.
I worked as a lot attendant at the time and had to DX cars up and down the east coast. Mostly Nissan but occasionally Saabs . The 900 and 9000 turbos were some of my favorites also especially the SPG .
Old 04-11-15, 02:40 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool thread! I test drove a local '12 BMW 750Li xdrive and a '12 LS460 AWD back to back just for fun today.

I've already driven a 460 in the past and noticed the ticking but only when I was outside the car. The 460 rode like a dream and was even quieter than the 430, with less body roll which was nice. Otherwise it felt more like a nice evolution, everything was a bit nicer with a few more features.

The 750, on the other hand, was just a whole new feeling to me. The one I drove had some awesome tech like the HUD (can't get over how cool this is, wish the 460 had it), side cameras, massage seats, adaptive cruise etc. However, the leather didn't quite feel as nice, nor was it as comfy/quiet as the 460. Was excellent in the corners though. However, like the OP brought up long-term reliability would be my main concern as well.

Overall, I feel like the 750 felt newer b/c of all the tech. However, the 460 seems to be the more logical choice with its excellent reliability. The debate still continues, but it was definitely a very fun day!
Old 04-11-15, 02:46 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hwyman
I have a 2011 LS with air suspension and I have no rattles from under the car. In fact, it's very quiet. The direct injection tapping noise can be annoying, however, I have a friend who has a 2015 S 550 with direct injection and it has the tapping noise as well.

I for one am a little OCD about the tapping noise, tire noise and powertrain sounds and I have tried to make my car as quiet as possible. I used Second Skin Audio's Luxury Liner Pro around the transmission tunnel and Damplifier Pro in the footwells. I'm pretty happy with the results. Even the Lexus techs have mentioned how quiet it is. Just my 2 cents.
Interesting that you have no rattles. Ever since I had mine the suspension has been noisy. Struts have been replaced and control arms inspected. The rattling is 10X worse in the comfort setting on rough city roads and so I now leave it in Normal mode. It took me months however, to discover that difference. It seems to me that the comfort mode cannot handle the suspension travel on rough roads.

As part of the test drive series I wrote about in my original post, I forgot to mention the most important test drive which was of a 2015 LS 460. The only one my Milwaukee dealer had in stock was a base AWD model without air ride. The ride was very tight with no rattles and steering feel much better than my 2010 model. Part of this feeling I am sure was because it was a new car with no wear. Engine tapping noise still there at idle, wheel slap on concrete expansion joints still very evident despite noise cancelling rims and wind noise no different to mine at highway speed. My overwhelming impression was "where is the improvement". This was the first car of the day I tested and encouraged me to evaluate the other makes I already reported on.In terms of other aspects of the new versus 2010 LS my thoughts are as follows:

1. I prefer the dash layout of my 2010 with the buttons logically laid out either side of the Nav screen.

2. Do not like the mouse controller on the new model

3. Prefer the seats on the new model, more comfort and side support

4. Dash plastic on new model does not seem of very high quality and the shape around the nav screen as it flows into the area of the speedometer is ugly imho. I would like to see one with the all leather trim.

5. Prefer the door panel trim in the new model, it looks more upmarket than the simple plastic trim on the 2010 year.
Old 04-11-15, 02:58 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Cool thread! I test drove a local '12 BMW 750Li xdrive and a '12 LS460 AWD back to back just for fun today.

I've already driven a 460 in the past and noticed the ticking but only when I was outside the car. The 460 rode like a dream and was even quieter than the 430, with less body roll which was nice. Otherwise it felt more like a nice evolution, everything was a bit nicer with a few more features.

The 750, on the other hand, was just a whole new feeling to me. The one I drove had some awesome tech like the HUD (can't get over how cool this is, wish the 460 had it), side cameras, massage seats, adaptive cruise etc. However, the leather didn't quite feel as nice, nor was it as comfy/quiet as the 460. Was excellent in the corners though. However, like the OP brought up long-term reliability would be my main concern as well.

Overall, I feel like the 750 felt newer b/c of all the tech. However, the 460 seems to be the more logical choice with its excellent reliability. The debate still continues, but it was definitely a very fun day!
Interesting to read your observations. They line up pretty much with mine. I would really like to upgrade to the higher levels of Tech offered by some of the other makes but the reliability issue is a big concern. I reviewed the CPO warranty of the BMW and struts for example are excluded from coverage. Like the LS, they are super expensive. I agree with you that the BMW does not have quite the comfort as the LS. However, although on the one hand the LS seems more isolated, I find the engine rattle, the suspension noise in comfort mode, sharp noises and interior creaks when I hit a drainage cover or smaller pothole, to really detract from the luxury. One thing I noticed about the BMW when driven on similar road features is while the suspension was definitely firmer, there were no body creaks or intrusive suspension noises. It seems as if maybe the body shell is stiffer than the LS. I had the same impression with the Audi A8.
Old 04-11-15, 08:12 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks, this is one of the few that i'd be curious to try.

Originally Posted by dfrosch
Old 04-11-15, 08:12 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hwyman
Doublebase, my goal was to having a clean look with no indications of bulges or lack of smooth carpet. In short, 30 minutes for each foot well and 90 minutes for each side of the transmission tunnel. This was limited to the front seat area only. Time spent was well worth it. I was very happy with the end result.

I chose to do this because I wanted to improve the quietness of the car. But as stock, it is still was nice.
Excellent, thanks. I'd like to improve on mine a little bit, it's not bad, but I think it could be a little better.
Old 04-11-15, 08:15 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

HUD
Originally Posted by CarGuy89

HUD is one of the best features I've seen in a car - I honestly don't know why every car doesn't have it - it's not distracting and you never have to take your eyes off the road. I'm shocked more cars don't have it.
Old 04-12-15, 07:38 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by anniversar
Interesting to read your observations. They line up pretty much with mine. I would really like to upgrade to the higher levels of Tech offered by some of the other makes but the reliability issue is a big concern. I reviewed the CPO warranty of the BMW and struts for example are excluded from coverage. Like the LS, they are super expensive. I agree with you that the BMW does not have quite the comfort as the LS. However, although on the one hand the LS seems more isolated, I find the engine rattle, the suspension noise in comfort mode, sharp noises and interior creaks when I hit a drainage cover or smaller pothole, to really detract from the luxury. One thing I noticed about the BMW when driven on similar road features is while the suspension was definitely firmer, there were no body creaks or intrusive suspension noises. It seems as if maybe the body shell is stiffer than the LS. I had the same impression with the Audi A8.
Interesting take on the chassis part! You are right maybe it's a German thing. My family also has an E60 5 series and while it rides firmer, I feel like it damps the bigger bumps better. Likewise with the 7 series. I have yet to drive an A8 but heard those are absolute tanks (but tend to spend lots of time in the shop).

HUD

HUD is one of the best features I've seen in a car - I honestly don't know why every car doesn't have it - it's not distracting and you never have to take your eyes off the road. I'm shocked more cars don't have it.
I agree 100%
Old 04-13-15, 04:47 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Somewhat related - LS460L named the best Lexus you could get...and a list of best/worst models for each make

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/the-best-and-worst-cars-by-brand-from-consumer-116052864517.html