LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Repairs Done So Far - Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 10:56 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
You stole my thunder! LOL

1500 bucks for a wheel bearing????!! I just checked Ebay and they can be had for $97.00.......According to my labour estimates from my subsription to "AllDataDIY" - labour is 1.6 hours. for the front and 2.1 for the rear. so......MAYBE $300 all in?
Given everyone's reaction I pulled out my invoice to double check I wasn't a liar. It turns out I'm not a total liar. The cost was indeed $1400 but upon closer inspection they changed both right and left front wheel hub assemblies. Parts were about $1000 and labor was about $400. Ebay has several of these assemblies on average for about $250 a piece. Lexus is still expensive but this clarification makes it a little more realistic. Sorry for the confusion. Like I said, once I heard the warranty claim was approved I was just focused on making sure the noise was gone and that I could get my car back as soon as possible.

FYI, I also edited my original post to correct this error.

Last edited by wayman28; 04-09-15 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-09-15, 11:03 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by wayman28
Devh, thanks for your post. Please understand that I am in no way condemning the LS460. I love my car. When I bought my car I had not one but two diagnostic inspections done (one at an independent mechanic and another at a Lexus dealership) to make sure I covered all my bases.

The car was regularly serviced at a dealership so I had the entire history and, while I have no idea how hard the previous owner drove the car, it was regularly maintained. The 60k service was done at a Lexus dealership about 7 months before I bought it.

During the inspections the control arms were noted as an issue and some other minor items. Of all the repairs I've had to do so far, they all seem reasonable for our car (wheel hub bearing, control arms and air strut) but I just didn't think they would all hit at about the same time within 6 months of ownership. The only repair that was really unexpected was the power steering rack. None of my inspections turned up any issues with that and those symptoms started only about two weeks ago. Not sure I could have done anything to predict the steering rack was going to fail before buying it.

I'm not sure I totally agree with your perspective that if you spend more than your warranty cost in repairs then you got a bad car. I paid $2400 for my warranty and it's not hard to rack up $2400 worth of repairs with our cars. I doubt anyone would say that a car was abused if it had to replace control arms and one air strut, but those two repairs could easily top $2400.
Like I mentioned that it could be bad luck.
If everyone had bad luck there would be no such thing as bad luck. If everyone had a warranty and bad luck that paid out more then what the warranty was worth then the company would either raise their premium astronomically or be out of business.
The fact that they bombard customers with aftermarket warranties makes it seem that there is a lot of money to be had at the expense of capitalizing on the fears of owners especially with artificially inflating the costs. Those parts prices and labor prices make it seem like Lexus had to eat the costs when in reality is just the opposite.
It seems as if we as owners are placed in a no win situation but the only difference is some of us choose not to play.
Old 04-09-15, 11:19 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Devh
Like I mentioned that it could be bad luck.
If everyone had bad luck there would be no such thing as bad luck. If everyone had a warranty and bad luck that paid out more then what the warranty was worth then the company would either raise their premium astronomically or be out of business.
The fact that they bombard customers with aftermarket warranties makes it seem that there is a lot of money to be had at the expense of capitalizing on the fears of owners especially with artificially inflating the costs. Those parts prices and labor prices make it seem like Lexus had to eat the costs when in reality is just the opposite.
It seems as if we as owners are placed in a no win situation but the only difference is some of us choose not to play.
That's true. We could all get Camry's to get from point A to B and never have to worry about $1200 air struts
Old 04-09-15, 01:55 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by wayman28
That's true. We could all get Camry's to get from point A to B and never have to worry about $1200 air struts
Or have the option of doing without air struts and AWD and have a much better drivers car with the least amount of worry. Having less unsprung weight could also go a long way to reducing wear and tear.
Old 04-09-15, 02:19 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Also, what the dealer list as part cost is the exaggerated sticker price. The difference between what often is quoted and what it cost at Lexus of South Atlanta can be ridiculous.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-09-15 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-09-15, 02:34 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
You stole my thunder! LOL

1500 bucks for a wheel bearing????!! I just checked Ebay and they can be had for $97.00.......According to my labour estimates from my subsription to "AllDataDIY" - labour is 1.6 hours. for the front and 2.1 for the rear. so......MAYBE $300 all in?
I honestly can't believe the prices Lexus dealers are charging, and I feel bad for anyone that pays them. A couple of months ago I ran into a guy on here that swore it was best to get everything done at the dealer and how he "created a relationship with them". I did all I could do to keep myself from peeing my pants...you don't "negotiate" or create "relationships" with dealers. They do just enough to make you feel like you are getting a good deal, to keep you coming back so you can get screwed some more.
Old 04-09-15, 03:16 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I honestly can't believe the prices Lexus dealers are charging, and I feel bad for anyone that pays them. A couple of months ago I ran into a guy on here that swore it was best to get everything done at the dealer and how he "created a relationship with them". I did all I could do to keep myself from peeing my pants...you don't "negotiate" or create "relationships" with dealers. They do just enough to make you feel like you are getting a good deal, to keep you coming back so you can get screwed some more.
Every time I hear that it makes me wonder how badly that guy is getting screwed not to mention the actual lack of respect the dealer has by being patronizing to the customer.
Old 04-17-15, 09:01 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Just wanted to add a recent development to the list of repairs I've had to do. I heard another slight rattling noise now that it's warm enough to roll down my windows. I brought it into the dealership today. Turns out it is my passenger side rear air strut that needs replacement. We got the claim approved through my warranty company so there won't be any costs to me other than the $100 deductible so I don't feel particularly upset about it..

At this point three out of my four air struts have been replaced (one of them was replaced by the previous owner but two of them by me). I have 78k miles on my car.
Old 04-17-15, 09:55 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I also have a 2009 swb rwd ls460 and up to date had over $12k in repairs done to my car too.
Old 04-20-15, 08:49 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

In one month it will be a year that I've owned my 08' 460.
I bought it CPO with 58K miles. In 11 months the following work was done, under warranty.

All control arm bushings - $4500

Front Air Strut - $1800

Front Wheel Bearing - $900

Front wheel ABS Sensor - $500

Brake Actuator - $2000

Fuel Throttle body - Recall

Now it is in the shop for a VSC/Brake Malfunction that left the wife stranded as the data center warned to pull over and call the dealer.

The car has been in the shop no less than 25 days for work.

My last car was an 02' LS 430 UL. I drove that car 230K miles with nothing but routine maintenance and timing belts and water pumps.

The 460 is a costly lemon in my opinion.
Old 04-20-15, 08:54 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I agree.... without the CPO warranty I would never ever take the car to the dealer.

That said part of the pricing structure assumes that most of the work they bill is paid by warranty companies.. you don't think that Lexus corporate pays full price to the dealer for work, do you?
They probably pay about 40-50% of the invoice total. Anyone who pays full price is crazy.
My LS430 needed a timing belt. They quoted me $1650.. I haggled with them and they came down to $1200... I called the toyota dealer who quoted me $825... They got the work.
Old 04-20-15, 09:43 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by BT3100
I bought it CPO with 58K miles. In 11 months the following work was done, under warranty.

Front Air Strut - $1800

Brake Actuator - $2000

Now it is in the shop for a VSC/Brake Malfunction that left the wife stranded as the data center warned to pull over and call the dealer.

My last car was an 02' LS 430 UL. I drove that car 230K miles with nothing but routine maintenance and timing belts and water pumps.

That sucks. I've had my 08 for nearly 15 months and the only repair I've done is a water pump. It has 90k miles on the odo. Best car I've ever owned.

I called the toyota dealer who quoted me $825... They got the work.
Toyota gets my business as well, when I don't DIY. The good news is all repair work by Toyota will show up on Lexus' system.
Old 04-21-15, 05:09 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Front Air Strut - $1800

Brake Actuator - $2000

That's an incredible bad run of luck.

I put 500-600 miles a week on my LS460, and the only money I have to put into it is money for gas (which at 26.5 mpg, isn't too bad).

I don't have air suspension - so I guess I'm fortunate there - but I haven't had any of the problems you've had. I took my car to the dealer yesterday for the fuel sensor recall...had a nice talk with the service advisor and swore by these cars. He said the LS is a trouble free car that will take you to 200k miles while still feeling like a new car. He then pointed to one that had 140k miles on it and said, the car has been maintained here, nothing but general maintenance has been performed. It was an 08 long wheel base.

One thing is for certain...I'd never buy an IS250 (the car they loaned me). It felt like I was driving a Toyota Corrola. No power, ugly interior, cheap plastics everywhere, loud...it did look cool, but man, not impressed at all. And the thing was brand new.
Old 04-21-15, 07:37 AM
Devh
Racer

Front Air Strut - $1800

Brake Actuator - $2000

Just to be clear, your LS 460 has been a costly lemon not the silent majority that are enjoying the car.
My car is over four years old and the only thing that was done from the dealer was a battery replacement.
The car runs and drives perfect.

Last edited by Devh; 04-21-15 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-21-15, 06:02 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Devh
Just to be clear, your LS 460 has been a costly lemon not the silent majority that are enjoying the car.
My car is over four years old and the only thing that was done from the dealer was a battery replacement.
The car runs and drives perfect.
Just to be clear... I'm far from the only one with issues with this model.
Read the boards. There are may threads about suspension issues, brake actuator issues, and some other issues that most of us owners have.
If you read the boards some guys are willing to allow Lexus off the hook for these issues. People post "well it's a good thing you have a warranty" guess what? In no time your warranty will be up and I venture to guess you'll think your car is a lemon too.

Maybe your new to the brand, I am not. I've owned a 94' LS a 96' LS an 00 and an 02' LS. They were quality cars with little or no issues. My 02' LS430 UL was a beast that had over 225K miles when I traded it. It ran like day one when I traded it. That was a good car. This car, with impeccable service history, I will add, is a POS. Not just mine, the model. When you build up a good relationship with a service adviser at Lexus they will tell you.
It is what it is. The car is not a true representation of the Lexus brand that I grew to love over the last 2 decades that I've owned em.

Quick Reply: Repairs Done So Far - Is this normal?