LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Did Discount Tire manager messing with me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 07:16 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

I've probably installed a thousand TPMS sensor rebuild kits. It makes sense to replace the kits when you get tires dismounted since you've already removed the tires and have access to the sensors. (Unless they are over charging for the kits). Regardless rubber grommets go bad like any other rubber part and should be replaced before there is an issue. It's just like replacing a rubber valve stem. Sounds like what someone else mentioned here is that they removed your sensors to avoid damaging them. (Rookie move) Any time you remove the sensor you are supposed to replace the rebuild kit.
Old 04-02-15, 02:41 AM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexo98
I've probably installed a thousand TPMS sensor rebuild kits. It makes sense to replace the kits when you get tires dismounted since you've already removed the tires and have access to the sensors. (Unless they are over charging for the kits). Regardless rubber grommets go bad like any other rubber part and should be replaced before there is an issue. It's just like replacing a rubber valve stem. Sounds like what someone else mentioned here is that they removed your sensors to avoid damaging them. (Rookie move) Any time you remove the sensor you are supposed to replace the rebuild kit.
hi, thanks for your input. I wants to have the option of fixing something that is not broken yet or paying extra on top of the already tires, mounting & balancing, and disposal of old tires. I will deal with it when time come to fix or replace the sensors, but i don't like it when he gave me no option. I see no need to remove the sensors when dismount & mounting just be little cautious around the sensors. Anyway, got the tires changed today and everything went smooth. I have been putting Yokohama YK580 tires on all of my Lexus in the last 6yrs +...................... because of it smooth and quiet ride. http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/yk580
Old 04-02-15, 05:14 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I talked to a friend of mine who owns his own shop regarding this subject. He said he does have the tire sensor rebuild kits...he's only sold two of them in two years. Meanwhile he is stuck with this kit that he bought. He said it is similar in theory to replacing a regular valve stem when you get your tires replaced - that way it will limit the chance of a leak and a comeback. Problem is, to "rebuild" these sensors adds to the risk of damaging them...plus the new sensors have a rubber stem, rather than the older style aluminum body (no o ring to replace).
Old 04-02-15, 06:43 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Personal opinions and the policies of large corporations may differ on this issue. Let's hear from someone who is knowledgeable about the policies of Costco, Walmart, DiscountTire and others.

I have watched Costco do these "sensor rebuilds" and they use a small torque to tighten the retainer nut. That leads me to believe that they are aware of the potential for damage due to over torqueing.