LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Did Discount Tire manager messing with me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-15, 02:02 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did Discount Tire manager messing with me?

Hello guys,
Trying to keep the story short, I went in to get 4 new tires for my 460L and declined TPMS rebuild kit, but the manager kept saying no way they can changing the tires without damaging the sensors. We went back and forth and in the end he said he will do it for no charge, but I still thinks he is messing with me. What do you guys think?
Old 03-31-15, 02:19 PM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

He's telling you that the gaskets around the valve stems need to be replaced to be sure that there is no leak there. It is standard to replace the gaskets when dismounting tires - probably a liability issue. Sometimes dismounting/mounting equipment will damage the sensor so it is removed to alleviate that risk.

Last edited by jmcraney; 03-31-15 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-31-15, 03:21 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I don't think that repair needed to be done. They are not really disturbing the seal on the sensor - they remove the shrader valve...they shouldn't be removing the sensor. I've done tires on my car - three times - not once did I have to do anything to the sensors. I didn't even have to reprogram them...they calibrate themselves.

If a sensor goes bad, you replace it. Otherwise the O Ring seal should be left alone, in fact I'd be willing to bet that there's a greater chance of a sensor being damaged while trying to replace that seal (when the tech tightens the stem too much and strips the nut on the stem...or cracks the sensor).

I'm changing my tires tomorrow - going back to my summer tires - the last thing on my mind is those sensors. I'm more concerned about tearing the bead on either my snows or summer tires...plus all the stick on weights I'll be trying to hide behind the spokes.
Old 03-31-15, 03:34 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick2JZ
I still think he is messing with me. What do you guys think?
I think so. I've had all 4 tires replaced twice now and never touched the TPMS.
Old 03-31-15, 03:36 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Ive had several mounts and dismounts done in the last year and never once was this required (two different shops).
Old 03-31-15, 03:45 PM
dfrosch
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick2JZ
Hello guys,
Trying to keep the story short, I went in to get 4 new tires for my 460L and declined TPMS rebuild kit, but the manager kept saying no way they can changing the tires without damaging the sensors. We went back and forth and in the end he said he will do it for no charge, but I still thinks he is messing with me. What do you guys think?

They only rebuild the valve stem. They use your old sensors.
Old 03-31-15, 03:48 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I think so. I've had all 4 tires replaced twice now and never touched the TPMS.
Do you still have the original sensors on your LS? I thought the average life of the sensors was about 8 years and my car has been in service about that long and the sensors show no signs of battery weakness. I have been thinking about replacing mine soon when I purchase new tires but am beginning to wonder if that is necessary.

On the same subject, has anyone obtained good service from these on ebay which were recommended by another member?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121420867494?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 03-31-15, 03:53 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Do you still have the original sensors on your LS? I thought the average life of the sensors was about 8 years and my car has been in service about that long and the sensors show no signs of battery weakness.
Mine too. No intention of replacing them until neccesary either.....
Old 03-31-15, 03:55 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
Do you still have the original sensors on your LS? I thought the average life of the sensors was about 8 years and my car has been in service about that long and the sensors show no signs of battery weakness. I have been thinking about replacing mine soon when I purchase new tires but am beginning to wonder if that is necessary.

On the same subject, has anyone obtained good service from these on ebay which were recommended by another member?

DP TPMS 4 Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor TPMS Monitor 315 MHz w Aluminum Stem | eBay
I haven't tried these sensors, but I personally wouldn't be afraid to use an aftermarket sensor.
As far as the battery goes, they are supposed to last 7-8 years, but the funny thing is I've seen them go much further than that. Usually a sensor's life comes to an end when the kid scrapes the tire machine shovel right into the sensor.
Old 03-31-15, 04:52 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
Do you still have the original sensors on your LS? I thought the average life of the sensors was about 8 years and my car has been in service about that long and the sensors show no signs of battery weakness.
My car will be 8 years old this June. It has the original sensors. My current tires are probably good for at least the next two years. Hopefully the batteries last until then.

I'm not sure there is any sign of battery weakness beyond it simply not reporting pressure from that tire.
Old 03-31-15, 05:38 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I haven't tried these sensors, but I personally wouldn't be afraid to use an aftermarket sensor.
As far as the battery goes, they are supposed to last 7-8 years, but the funny thing is I've seen them go much further than that. Usually a sensor's life comes to an end when the kid scrapes the tire machine shovel right into the sensor.
I've been using aftermarket sensors in my winter tires and they work brilliantly. Fraction of the cost of Lexus ones.
Old 03-31-15, 07:41 PM
MrDuc
Driver School Candidate

this is Discounts way of making more money.. They replace O rings that costs a few pennies each yet charge $10 or more per wheel for the service....

Last edited by MrDuc; 03-31-15 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-31-15, 07:42 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

thanks to all replies! You guys have reassured me that the manager did messing with me. I know when they get ready to un-mount the tire, they remove the Valve Stem Core to quickly release all the air fast and i am ok with that. I told him not to remove or do anything to the Sensors, but he kept saying it is the policy to remove it so he can charge me a TPMS rebuild kit. I have been very happy with Discount Tire in the past and get all my Tires there, but sometime you meet not so nice people. I was gonna walk out, but i need new tires for a out of town trip this weekend and only their store have my tires in stock. thanks again to all taking your time to read and responded.
Old 04-01-15, 12:05 AM
bluex5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will never have to change a new sensor unless it become defected or if the installer breaks them doing the tire installation process.
Old 04-01-15, 12:51 AM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bluex5
You will never have to change a new sensor unless it become defected or if the installer breaks them doing the tire installation process.

or the battery out of juice

Quick Reply: Did Discount Tire manager messing with me?