LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A surprise

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 04:13 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

What is even more unique about the doors apart from the self closing feature of this car is that engineers tried to simulate the resonance of Japanese wooden doors.
Think about that the next time you close the door.
Old 03-23-15, 09:12 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Not gonna lie, but prior to buying my two LS's I knew about every feature beforehand and tested them out prior to buying. Knowing the options of the car was all the more reason I wanted it so bad. So the surprise of having soft door closers after the fact is just strange to me but glad you have them and use them unlike many owners who don't use 25% of what the car offers

<c02e3918>
Old 03-24-15, 06:13 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

RZ, I'm assigning you homework -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...t-your-ls.html

There will be a test.
Old 03-24-15, 07:08 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I love that feature. I thought I'd read somewhere that the SWB only did the front doors and the LWB did all 4. I have an 07 and all 4 of mines do it. The salesperson showed me that feature during the initial purchase. And I absolutely hate when people slam my doors.
Old 03-24-15, 07:44 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
RZ, I'm assigning you homework -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...t-your-ls.html

There will be a test.
I went back and read this thread again. One of the great tips was controlling which doors open when pressing the door button. I think the previous owner changed the way the doors open. Looks like it works the front two doors. I may have a go at opening all doors.

But I didn't see anything about soft close doors. Well, now there is!

Thanks for reviving that thread. A great read.

Last edited by R Z; 03-24-15 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-24-15, 10:24 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
I've had the car since mid October. It's an 08. Keep in mind I average 350 miles a month and I've never had the situation arise like today. It's not a necessary feature for sure. But wuitevthe nice surprise.
Lol, that's how much I drive in 2 days!
Old 03-24-15, 10:45 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Lol, that's how much I drive in 2 days!

My wife and I own a small company and we work from home. So our commute is the stairway in our home up to our offices. We even eat at home most days so our cars do not get lots of mileage.
Old 03-24-15, 10:47 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by R Z
My wife and I own a small company and we work from home. So our commute is the stairway in our home up to our offices. We even eat at home most days so our cars do not get lots of mileage.
I could only wish I was driving this little. But I guess if I have to do it, there are few cars that are better suited for the job than the LS.
Old 03-24-15, 12:35 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
+1 here...
Your LS driving privileges are over!
I took care of this problem and let my wife know she doesn't drive the LS. I've mentioned this before, she treats her cars as a mobile trash can and it just burns my bumper. Plus with its long wheel base, she would not enjoy parking it, and bound to re-arrange a body panel or 3.

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Not gonna lie, but prior to buying my two LS's I knew about every feature beforehand and tested them out prior to buying. Knowing the options of the car was all the more reason I wanted it so bad. So the surprise of having soft door closers after the fact is just strange to me but glad you have them and use them unlike many owners who don't use 25% of what the car offers.
I'm in the same boat. Plus having worked in automotive for so long, I used to know a lot about every car. Frequently auto design engineers study competitor vehicles for various reasons. Pulling up car pics & spec's at work was always an accepted way to spend time. Unless it was a Korean engineer, then all the pictures and spec's must be either on a ppt, or in the process of loading it into a ppt.

Originally Posted by ASCARI_2
... there are few cars that are better suited for the job than the LS.
I find that a matter of perspective. Depends on what you want out of a vehicle that you will pound miles onto. I would feel guilty pounding miles on my LS. My Corolla is a more efficient vehicle in most ways. All the obvious reasons for it being less expensive to own / operate. My Corolla being a 5 speed is quite pleasant to drive, easy to park. Zips through traffic better than most expect, heck it weighs somewhere between 2,500 - 2,800 lbs. I don't mind POUNDING the miles onto that car. That's what it was made to do, about as inexpensively as it can be done. The LS is to get around in style. Although I don't actually care much about an image, it gives a person an image of, "this person has arrived." Meaning, this person is doing SOMETHING right. And personally, I think an LS owner has an image of being more intelligent than other luxury brand owners. They have a real luxury car without all the unreliable & HUGE repair bills that come with the other brands!

7milesout
Old 03-24-15, 02:00 PM
charlesatl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we were going to the dealers to get our LS, the dealer sent another LS to drive us up there. I had forgotten something and opened and closed the door to go back in the house. The sales said "Wait theres a better way to close the door."

I thought I have been closing doors for many many yeas and there is no other way..then he showed me the soft close and I was blown away.

Now everytime I get in the car or open the door and let my wife in..its soft close all the way...its just WOW!
Old 03-25-15, 07:13 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

My previous SWB did not have soft door close option so when I first got the current LS with this feature, I also showed my wife and told her you can stop slamming my doors like it's an 80's Cadillac!!!! Now far as her driving my car LOL! If that ever happens they will be performing figure eights in hell due to it freezing over! Like 7milesout wife my wife also treats her car and previous ones the same and what's with all the shoes in the car?! SMH
Old 03-25-15, 08:54 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tee
Now far as her driving my car LOL! If that ever happens they will be performing figure eights in hell due to it freezing over!
Luckily, I do not have to worry about my wife driving my LS460. She won't. Why? Several years ago a friend of her's called and needed a ride. My wife's car had a dead battery that we were going to replace the next day. Reluctantly she asked to take my LS430. Of course I didn't mind, so she took the key and headed out. It was a dark rainy windy night. The garage storage room door wasn't shut all the way. When she started to back out, the wind blew open the door and as she backed out she ripped the driver's side mirror off the door.

When she called and found out it was $1000 to replace the part, she freaked (as did I). But she is a very resilient woman. She found a used part somewhere and had it shipped for $400. The place we used for service work installed it for $100. Looked brand new and was already black so it matched perfectly.

Needless to say she will not drive my car and it's her decision. Works for me!
Old 03-25-15, 03:30 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
When she called and found out it was $1000 to replace the part, she freaked (as did I). But she is a very resilient woman. She found a used part somewhere and had it shipped for $400. The place we used for service work installed it for $100. Looked brand new and was already black so it matched perfectly.
Wow, that woman is a keeper. I'm impressed!
Old 03-25-15, 08:12 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I love the auto close feature.
Old 03-26-15, 10:31 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by 7milesout
I find that a matter of perspective. Depends on what you want out of a vehicle that you will pound miles onto. I would feel guilty pounding miles on my LS. My Corolla is a more efficient vehicle in most ways. All the obvious reasons for it being less expensive to own / operate. My Corolla being a 5 speed is quite pleasant to drive, easy to park. Zips through traffic better than most expect, heck it weighs somewhere between 2,500 - 2,800 lbs. I don't mind POUNDING the miles onto that car. That's what it was made to do, about as inexpensively as it can be done. The LS is to get around in style. Although I don't actually care much about an image, it gives a person an image of, "this person has arrived." Meaning, this person is doing SOMETHING right. And personally, I think an LS owner has an image of being more intelligent than other luxury brand owners. They have a real luxury car without all the unreliable & HUGE repair bills that come with the other brands!
Believe me, some part of me does feel guilty putting these kinds of miles every day. But on the other hand, if I have to drive that much every single day it feels much better to be doing it in some comfortable and relatively safe vehicle. The drive is tiring as it is, and if I had to do it in a Corolla (which is a great car to zip around in) it would only make it worse.

Quick Reply: A surprise