LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

VSC, ABS, Brake System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-15, 06:08 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I still think the battery may be the culprit despite checking out ok. I remember reading about someone who's battery checked out ok but was still not enough to keep the lights from coming on. I could be mistaken maybe someone else will chime in who remembers that
Old 03-20-15, 07:00 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I will only say what I would do.....change the battery. It's good for preventative maintenance for one, and rules out the battery.

I can second the opinion on faulty tests. In fact, it happened only a few weeks ago. I bought a battery at the local wrecker for my old Mustang GT I'm restoring. They sold it to me after showing me on their tester that it was good. I took it home and the car started once, then would not start again after the engine stalled. Convinced it was not the battery (based on the test), I wasted a bunch of time trying to figure out what the heck was wrong. I decided to try a brand new battery, and quickly discovered that the culprit was indeed the used battery. I returned the used battery and because they doubted my claims, placed it back on the tester again......FAIL. They refunded my money .
Old 03-20-15, 08:29 PM
uggggs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car won't clear by unplugging the battery, believe me.

Youtube Toyota reset VSC light and you will see what needs to be done. That will clear only one light. For the other lights, you have to jump another pin on the OBD2 port and you will see the NAV screen flash and enter a diagnostic mode. In this screen is where you clear the rest of the codes and all the lights will be off.
Old 03-21-15, 07:49 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Your car won't clear by unplugging the battery, believe me
Correct! It's similar to saying you can clear the CMOS or motherboard settings on your 'puter by unplugging it.
Old 03-21-15, 09:08 AM
ShahG
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I guess it was never the battery. I replaced it today with an Optima one, the best, but still lights on. I took it to my local mechanic who is a friend of mine. He reset the system via obd and everything is gone! Back to normal thank god. Brakes are back Too. I doo feel bad on replacing a battery though, because the old one was fine. Part of life I guess.
Old 03-21-15, 10:34 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

You are wise to understand that some discharged batteries are not bad.

The lights were probably the result of jumpstarting.

The discharged battery is another matter.
Old 03-21-15, 12:59 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ShahG
Well I guess it was never the battery. I replaced it today with an Optima one, the best, but still lights on. I took it to my local mechanic who is a friend of mine. He reset the system via obd and everything is gone! Back to normal thank god. Brakes are back Too. I doo feel bad on replacing a battery though, because the old one was fine. Part of life I guess.
The Optima battery is the worse decision you could have gone with. They don't have good reserve power which is what the LS460 needs and the charging profile is not optimized for that spiral gel battery or even AGM for that matter. Some European cars like BMW have charging profiles that make batteries like these work. The reason why I know this is because I had an optima fail on me in the worse way and when I looked into it there were many others that have experienced the same issues. I do use an AGM battery in my other car because it's very light but it only lasts about a year before it degrades so I just buy a new one for the season.
Optima batteries have a very high failure rate. If it's not too late I would return it.

Last edited by Devh; 03-21-15 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-21-15, 03:48 PM
ShahG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Devh
The Optima battery is the worse decision you could have gone with. They don't have good reserve power which is what the LS460 needs and the charging profile is not optimized for that spiral gel battery or even AGM for that matter. Some European cars like BMW have charging profiles that make batteries like these work. The reason why I know this is because I had an optima fail on me in the worse way and when I looked into it there were many others that have experienced the same issues. I do use an AGM battery in my other car because it's very light but it only lasts about a year before it degrades so I just buy a new one for the season.
Optima batteries have a very high failure rate. If it's not too late I would return it.
Should have told me earlier!!!!

I guess we will have to see. I just wanted the best.
Old 03-21-15, 03:49 PM
ShahG
Rookie

I have had a very shady experience with Interstate Batteries on my Range Rover. That's why I went with something new.
Old 03-21-15, 04:35 PM
Devh
Racer

Should have told me earlier!!!!

I guess we will have to see. I just wanted the best.
I posted about Optima batteries not long ago on this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...5-battery.html

When they fail they usually short unexpectedly and all at once unlike lead acid.
I to wanted the best but I got more then I bargained for and because I bought the battery at a discounted price Optima will only pro-rate based on their MSRP which was so high that it was the same price I originally paid. Didn't see that coming.

Last edited by Devh; 03-21-15 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-21-15, 04:40 PM
Devh
Racer

I have had a very shady experience with Interstate Batteries on my Range Rover. That's why I went with something new.
From what I understand Interstate is not the battery manufacture. The manufacture will supply batteries to Interstate so it's pretty much a mixed bag.

In my opinion the best battery for this car is the Japan Panasonic lead acid.
Old 03-21-15, 05:12 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Devh
From what I understand Interstate is not the battery manufacture. The manufacture will supply batteries to Interstate so it's pretty much a mixed bag.

In my opinion the best battery for this car is the Japan Panasonic lead acid.
There's a lot of info on this if you Google, "Optima problems". Seems electronics laden cars like ours have a lot of problems. Some posters are stating that their batteries only lasted a year. I'm surprised.
Old 03-21-15, 05:32 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
There's a lot of info on this if you Google, "Optima problems". Seems electronics laden cars like ours have a lot of problems. Some posters are stating that their batteries only lasted a year. I'm surprised.
The Optima that I owned which was purchased for my other car only lasted one year. Optima claims that it's always a bad batch but after looking into the the issue more closely it's the charging profile.
Optima (spiral gel) as well as AGM and Lithium ion batteries are incredibly strong and the technology is there but they are not suited for most applications unless the charging system is advanced enough to take advantage it so it doesn't burn it out prematurely.

Using the BMW software you can register the battery type and it's IBS (Intelligent Battery sensor) will allow you to use these kind of batteries because the sensor is on the battery terminal monitoring the battery.

Lexus went low tech because the above complexity is prone for failure. In-fact a lot of Lexus on board computers and monitors are low tech and proven to work. Why complicate a problem that doesn't exist until you can show real world gains.

When NASA sent up the Space Shuttle to replace the boards on the Hubble they usually put in older proven technology rather then the latest and greatest because the last thing they need is some engineering goof they haven't encountered.
Old 03-22-15, 10:44 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Several strong views regarding batteries have been posted in this thread recently. I think most of us appreciate hearing how others view this subject and the insights they share with us.

I have found some information that seems to me to be informative on this subject at en.wickipedia.org and I want to share a link with those who want a better understanding of car batteries.

Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_battery

ConsumerReports.org is a scientific testing organization and their battery ratings for group 24 are:

1. EverStart MAXX-24FN (North) (Walmart store brand)

2. Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24

3. EverStart Maxx-24S (South) (Walmart store brand)

4. DieHard Gold 50923 (South) (Sears store brand)

5. DieHard 50324

6. Bosch 24-700B

7. Interstate Mega-Tron II MT-24
Old 10-08-15, 12:05 AM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uggggs
I had the same issue after my battery went dead. Unplugging the battery won't work. You have to reset and clear the codes by jumping the terminals on the OBD2 port.
Hi, I know it's been a while. I have the same issue. Does anyone have a "how to" or know which ports on the odb2 to jump?

Quick Reply: VSC, ABS, Brake System Malfunction