LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I downgraded "BIGTIME"

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 02:24 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Is there a 'Like' button anywhere??
I have to second that
Old 03-09-15, 07:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Soldier76
I have to second that
Oh geez Soldier76!! Just what you need...another emoticon or button to push!! LOL
Old 03-09-15, 12:17 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
A clunk? That's something to probably keep an eye on...could be a motor mount...could be some sort of front, or rear bushing. I doubt it has anything to do with your transmission fluid.

As for the Toyota WS fluid, there have been Blackstone lab reports on it. I want to say the mileage was around 100k and it had changed in viscosity....don't really know if that's a bad thing or not. The fluid is not a "lifetime" fluid, that much you can find out with a simple google search. In fact it is not even synthetic. Google WS fluid - there is enough stuff out there about it that will make you want to change the fluid. But I'll warn you - with the LS - it is very hard to properly add the correct amount - so make sure the person doing it knows what they are doing.
Thanks Double, I do recall reading about the potential for draining and refilling of the trans fluid incorrectly, especially with it needing to be at a certain temperature.
And yes, the fact that someone can claim that a lubricant is a lifetime lubricant in something as gear heavy and torque/power producing as a transmission is ridiculous.

The reason I thought perhaps the trans fluid needs to be changed, is because I only hear the thud (not clunk-bad choice of words) when the trans goes into gear, and it doesn't always happen. Its almost like the same noise you hear when a car is placed into gear when the engine has been cold/not ran for several hours... Like that thud/knock sound. Perhaps the brake isn't being depressed enough upon switching gears?? No clue..
My fault...im hijacking!
Old 03-09-15, 08:44 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Oh geez Soldier76!! Just what you need...another emoticon or button to push!! LOL
I like to make me post look more colorful, "LMBO"!!!!
Old 03-09-15, 09:11 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Thanks Double, I do recall reading about the potential for draining and refilling of the trans fluid incorrectly, especially with it needing to be at a certain temperature.
And yes, the fact that someone can claim that a lubricant is a lifetime lubricant in something as gear heavy and torque/power producing as a transmission is ridiculous.

The reason I thought perhaps the trans fluid needs to be changed, is because I only hear the thud (not clunk-bad choice of words) when the trans goes into gear, and it doesn't always happen. Its almost like the same noise you hear when a car is placed into gear when the engine has been cold/not ran for several hours... Like that thud/knock sound. Perhaps the brake isn't being depressed enough upon switching gears?? No clue..
My fault...im hijacking!
Do whatcha gotta do Brah, Take any avenue of approach when it comes to keeping your expensive machine running.
Old 03-11-15, 06:51 AM
sheffield4
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Gbp;8943077]I guess I'm different. I tend to hold on to cars for at least 10 years. I generally average under 10K miles/year. The cars were bought new, but weren't luxury cars. They were reliable. So the big question for me is how long a used 2008 - 2010 LS460 with, say, 60K or even 80K miles will last at 10K miles/year without becoming a huge maintenance hog?

That's why this thread is relevant to me, and I appreciate Soldier76's detailed description of his situation.[/QUOTE

I have 335K on my 07 LS460L. I bought it a little over a year ago with 312k on it. I have been having to replace sensors and a tune-up, plugs valve cover gasket. this thing still runs smooth. the previous owner bought it certified at about 90K miles and used it as an executive limo for a little over 2 years, and put almost 100k a year on it. they replaced the rear air shocks and a starter from the papers I received with it. He did do regular oil changes with Mobile 1 and I like that. I am now starting to get the P420 code but suspect it to be the rear 02 sensors. Luckily my son is a mechanic with his own shop, so he and I have done all the work. I also replace the front end control arms last year when I got it. I love that it has as many miles as it does lets me know I can upgrade the wife's 98 GS400 soon that has 200k and she like the 460. I like to drive that once in a while it is a handling machine.
Old 03-11-15, 10:08 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sheffield4
Originally Posted by Gbp
I guess I'm different. I tend to hold on to cars for at least 10 years. I generally average under 10K miles/year. The cars were bought new, but weren't luxury cars. They were reliable. So the big question for me is how long a used 2008 - 2010 LS460 with, say, 60K or even 80K miles will last at 10K miles/year without becoming a huge maintenance hog?

That's why this thread is relevant to me, and I appreciate Soldier76's detailed description of his situation.
I have 335K on my 07 LS460L. I bought it a little over a year ago with 312k on it. I have been having to replace sensors and a tune-up, plugs valve cover gasket. this thing still runs smooth. the previous owner bought it certified at about 90K miles and used it as an executive limo for a little over 2 years, and put almost 100k a year on it. they replaced the rear air shocks and a starter from the papers I received with it. He did do regular oil changes with Mobile 1 and I like that. I am now starting to get the P420 code but suspect it to be the rear 02 sensors. Luckily my son is a mechanic with his own shop, so he and I have done all the work. I also replace the front end control arms last year when I got it. I love that it has as many miles as it does lets me know I can upgrade the wife's 98 GS400 soon that has 200k and she like the 460. I like to drive that once in a while it is a handling machine.
Holy cow! You might want to add your data point to the "member with the most miles on their LS460" thread. How has the interior held up after all those miles?
Old 03-11-15, 11:41 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
Holy cow! You might want to add your data point to the "member with the most miles on their LS460" thread. How has the interior held up after all those miles?
Great question!
Old 03-11-15, 11:36 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jzrodrigue
I'll probably get slammed for this but maybe it will help someone. I'm a 51-year-old woman so I'm not doing any work on the car myself (other than detailing it). I find the cost is affordable because I take it to the Toyota dealership to get the maintenance done. If I take it to Lexus, it costs at least twice as much. So it's not more expensive than keeping a Toyota. The tires are very expensive, but those get replaced about every 5 years. I bought a 2009 LS 460 and it's a dream in every way. I bought it as a lease end, so I paid half as much, and it was certified so there's bumper to bumper for three years. I still have another year left and I won't be buying additional warranty. Why? This is known as the No. 1 most reliable car there is. My sister and mother both have Lexus cars and have never had a single problem. So after the warranty, if it's bad luck and I need something fix, it'll be done at Toyota. So, my long story to say that if you do some things differently, you can afford this work of art...
That's brilliant! You should get to wear the propeller-beanie here for at least a month for that idea!
I love it.