LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Check out my mufflers!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-18, 12:18 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Just an update. Just had my exhaust checked because of a clunk and rattle over bumps. Sure enough, the mufflers are shot again. So, basically I got about 3 years+ out of the Walker mufflers. If I want to replace them with the same models (cheap) price only went up a bit. He recommends the next model up which are SS, but it doubles the price. I think I'll just go with the same cheap units, as I anticipate trading up in the next couple years.
Old 08-04-18, 01:13 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

How far are you guys driving your cars, eg short journey causes condensation inside the rear mufflers happens in every car. Worst thing you can do to a car short trips.
Old 08-04-18, 05:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by isfvss
How far are you guys driving your cars, eg short journey causes condensation inside the rear mufflers happens in every car. Worst thing you can do to a car short trips.
My commute is about 70 miles (roundtrip) and all highway. 35-40 minutes each way.
Old 08-07-18, 09:57 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Plus, Chris has a condensation drain point just prior to the mufflers. So, that wouldn't be it. At least … he used to have said drain point.
Old 08-08-18, 06:10 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Didn't saw that thread back in 2015, here is my contribution:

Saying that those muffler are prone to rust is an understatement. Also had a drone sound in winter at low rpm, got under the car and I could feel the hole with my hand. Couldn't see the extend of it because it was on top and I wasn't equipped properly to remove the muffler as bolt were seized and needed the torch treatment for removal. Tried to go blind with my hand an patch the hole with JB Weld (didn't knew how big the hole was because I couldn't see). Ended up buying a brand new OEM muffler from the dealer and rented a garage space to replace it. After dropping the old one I could see the massive hole and figured how futile trying to patch it was. New muffler is a revised part number but I don't know if rust proofing have been improved. After replacing it driving the car was day and night, very smooth and pleasant. My guess is that with the heat shield so close to the muffler salty snow can get stuck on top and stay here, so if you have a pressure washer make sure you give a shot in that area between the muffler and heat shield. Muffler from the other site seems to be alright and I can't see any hole with my endoscope camera. If I recall correctly another member who purchased a ls600 in Ontario last winter also discovered his muffler had a hole in it, so if you have a drone sound at low rpm you might want to look at your muffler first. Another sign that your muffler might be shot would be a small rust area on the bottom resulting from salty water that accumulate on the muffler lower point and gradually eating the metal.

Last edited by Vansibel; 08-08-18 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Details
Old 06-06-19, 06:29 AM
vinniesabo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello everyone,

I am having the same problem with my 07 LS, top of mufflers rusted. I’ve been looking for solutions, not wanting to pay $1000+ for OEM mufflers that will rust again. Aside from the Walker mufflers (which have a short life span and I can’t find anyways..) what are the solutions you guys have come up with? I would prefer a axle-back system that I can install myself but since I haven’t been able to find anything other than the cheap Megan Racing (which is on back order anyways) I would consider having a shop install/weld on aftermarket mufflers. Also, a (maybe stupid question): While looking for exhaust systems, some manufacturers like Borla and Fujitsubo have their axle-back systems compatible with ALL 4th gen LS 460. 07-17. And then again, some only match 07-09 and yet again 07-12. So here’s the question: Aren’t ALL 4th gen base model LS engines and chassis identical and shouldn't all parts (including exhaust) that fit a 2014 also fit a ‘07? Thank you in advance for the help. This is my daily driver and I am getting a Supra in the near future :-)
Old 06-06-19, 06:42 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

vinniesabo - To answer your question, I don't think any of us could say with 100% certainty. OEMs sometimes make changes that are not visible to a customer. So to say that the 07 - 09 is the exact same as the 10 - 12 would be difficult to do anything but guess.

But what I would guess is to say that, I'm betting they're similar enough that swapping the OEM exhausts from the axle back from say an 08 to an 11, or vice-versa, is likely to work.
Old 06-10-19, 04:18 AM
vinniesabo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
vinniesabo - To answer your question, I don't think any of us could say with 100% certainty. OEMs sometimes make changes that are not visible to a customer. So to say that the 07 - 09 is the exact same as the 10 - 12 would be difficult to do anything but guess.

But what I would guess is to say that, I'm betting they're similar enough that swapping the OEM exhausts from the axle back from say an 08 to an 11, or vice-versa, is likely to work.

Small hole, loud nose and was only getting louder.

As you can see, it was just a matter of time before the second muffler joined the first for a duet. 🤣

Thank you for the reply. As you can see, I got a muffler shop (Windy City Mufflers) to install the Walker mufflers which for some reason, searching online and calling for about 5 weeks, I couldn't find to purchase amd install myself. Hopefully, they last another 12 years but I doubt it because they're not stainless steel. The car is once again super quiet.
Old 06-10-19, 05:10 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vinniesabo
The car is once again super quiet.
Very sorry to hear about that. However, there is a solution!