LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Battery weak

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 06:18 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Battery weak

I think my battery is on its way out. Had the hazards on for 10 minutes and it wouldn't start. I had the jumper in the trunk since my other car needed it a few days ago, so it started right away.

I went through car records and it shows it was changed in 2012 by Lexus.

So I called my dealer and they told they would check the battery and depending how weak it is they would give me a partial discount and then charge me $150 to change it out.

At this point I can just get a Lexus battery from them for $168 and install it myself.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks
Old 02-20-15, 06:36 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Sounds about right, but you could do like I did and install a quality aftermarket battery for less. I installed an AC Delco Pro that came with a ridiculously good warranty for 95 bucks.
Old 02-20-15, 06:54 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
I think my battery is on its way out. Had the hazards on for 10 minutes and it wouldn't start. I had the jumper in the trunk since my other car needed it a few days ago, so it started right away.

I went through car records and it shows it was changed in 2012 by Lexus.

So I called my dealer and they told they would check the battery and depending how weak it is they would give me a partial discount and then charge me $150 to change it out.

At this point I can just get a Lexus battery from them for $168 and install it myself.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks
Although a few batteries fail prematurely, the vast majority are trouble free for the first 3 years they are in service.

Your battery may not be defective, but just discharged. Defective door jamb switches on the LS460s and LS600s are a common cause of discharged batteries.

The most common manifestation of a defective door jamb switch is the failure to sense an open door and turn on the courtesy light.

We have discussed this in several threads. If you will follow this link it will take you to a post that has links to several discussions that might help you if you continue to have battery problems

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls46...ml#post8856567
Old 02-20-15, 08:12 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Thanks for chiming in.

Ac delco? Sounds good to me. I'm not stuck on Lexus battery.

As for door switch, mine was actually changed a few years ago by a previous owner. Thanks to Lexus data base I can see that .

As far as discharged. Car gets driven 15 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the eve. With proper warm up each time. I usually let it idle 5 minutes in the winter time. Car is parked in a warm garage at all times, day or night, so freezing temps are not an issue I'd like to think.
Old 02-20-15, 08:18 AM
jmcraney

Thanks for chiming in.

Ac delco? Sounds good to me. I'm not stuck on Lexus battery.

As for door switch, mine was actually changed a few years ago by a previous owner. Thanks to Lexus data base I can see that .

As far as discharged. Car gets driven 15 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the eve. With proper warm up each time. I usually let it idle 5 minutes in the winter time. Car is parked in a warm garage at all times, day or night, so freezing temps are not an issue I'd like to think.
If your battery is discharged, instead of defective, then you should be thinking in terms of something other than the battery. You seem to be operating your car enough to keep the battery charged.

There may be something going on with the door jamb switches other than defective switches and you should consider that possibility.
Old 02-20-15, 08:29 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

My 08 had the original battery in it when it went dead on me while out shopping (or should I say buying). After a friend came by to jump me, I went to Autozone and bought my battery. At first they tried to get me to consider the Optima. But after quick research, I found the Duralast was perfectly suited. The price was something like $120 or $130 and they installed it free. I didn't lose even a radio station programming.

Something to consider for sure.
Old 02-20-15, 08:31 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put this battery on: http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinu...p-02851035000P which evidently "doesn't fit" my car, but I just got the spacer that sits underneath it and this battery is the bomb.

no issues so far even with the extreme cold and an excellent warranty. it is a "re-badged" odyssey battery, but about $70-$80 cheaper.
Old 02-20-15, 08:52 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Car starta fine even if I don't start it over the weekend.

It didn't start when I was washing it and had the radio on for 10 min.

And today, had hazards on for 10 min after driving the car for 15.

I have advanced parts store 5 minutes away from me. Gonna go get a new batt and report back.

I did the same thing with my GS few years ago. Funny thing is, the batt went out the same way,
Old 02-20-15, 09:04 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
I put this battery on: http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinu...p-02851035000P which evidently "doesn't fit" my car, but I just got the spacer that sits underneath it and this battery is the bomb.

no issues so far even with the extreme cold and an excellent warranty. it is a "re-badged" odyssey battery, but about $70-$80 cheaper.

I went with Diehard platinum for both ES and GX. No issues so far after 3 years. My ES is parked outside and during this freezing weather (NJ) it starts in first attempt.
Old 02-20-15, 10:55 AM
jmcraney

Car starta fine even if I don't start it over the weekend.

It didn't start when I was washing it and had the radio on for 10 min.

And today, had hazards on for 10 min after driving the car for 15.

I have advanced parts store 5 minutes away from me. Gonna go get a new batt and report back.

I did the same thing with my GS few years ago. Funny thing is, the batt went out the same way,
You have to keep in mind that battery businesses have a vested interest in you purchasing a new battery. With that in mind you have to remember that they are unlikely to tell you that your old battery just needs to be charged because if they do you will just take your old battery and go away. It is certainly okay to buy a new battery to avoid the hassle as a battery must be fully charged before it can be determined if it is good or bad and charging can take several hours. It might be wise to ask for an evaluation of your old battery after you have completed the purchase of a new one especially if the old battery has been in service less than 3 years.
Old 02-21-15, 04:26 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Thanks for everyone's input.

I ended up buying a new battery from Advance Auto which is few miles from my home.

$126 minus $50 with a discount code.
I installed it within minutes and all is well now.

Seat memory, radio stations and all other settings remained. I was glad for that.
Old 02-22-15, 02:00 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Although a few batteries fail prematurely, the vast majority are trouble free for the first 3 years they are in service.

Your battery may not be defective, but just discharged. Defective door jamb switches on the LS460s and LS600s are a common cause of discharged batteries.

The most common manifestation of a defective door jamb switch is the failure to sense an open door and turn on the courtesy light.

We have discussed this in several threads. If you will follow this link it will take you to a post that has links to several discussions that might help you if you continue to have battery problems

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls46...ml#post8856567
Jeff, I have obviously not been visiting this site as frequently as I use to when I owned an LS460L, but I am SO happy to see that you are now a moderator here. No one deserves this honor more than you. You have done so much to help others with problems on their LS's.

I continue to be very happy with my 2014 S550. It is such a joy to drive. I have 16,000 miles on it already since I bought it last early April. My wife and I will likely be in the hunt to replace her 2010 RX450h and looking forward to the next generation of the RX this summer. I know one thing for certain. My wife's next car will not be a hybrid. I have really lost interest in hybrids. It's totally not worth the extra cost to get a hybrid. I believe the future is in electric and/or fuel cell cars and not hybrids.

As an aside, this past month I went through a very serious health issue as my blood stream got poisoned (sepsis; bacteria) from a colon leakage due to constipation for 5 days. That in turn caused the liver and kidneys to get inflamed and this lead to a blood clot in the portal duct (between the liver and spleen). The good thing is that this clot is immovable so there is no danger of it moving to the heart, etc. I'm taking coumadin to break it down. The other good news is that with all the MRI's, Ultra Sounds, and C Scans they did, they found zero tumors in my body. I feel MUCH better now and enjoying life once again. My appetite is great once again.