LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2 Things...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 06:01 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Talking 2 Things...

1. So earlier this evening I stopped at my local Walgreens to get a few items. As people in my region, as others I assume, are notorious for being careless regarding their vehicles (wreckless driving/allowing doors to swing ALL the way open and carelessly bang the car adjacent to them), I purposely park my car as far away from other cars as I can. As I was leaving the store and walked towards my vehicle, a gentleman says to me..."you must think your special because you drive a poor man's luxury car! I'd understand if that was a Benz, but c'Mon man, it's a Lexus...a rebadged Avalon for Christ sakes! Take it easy on the park job...it's just a car!". My response: leading while a smile and chuckle..."thank you, and you have a great evening Sir".
2. I know that I've made mention of the noise factor of my LS in previous threads, as have others made it a mentionable topic. However, I will never again complain of cabin noise from this thread forward unless my LS explodes beneath the hood! Earlier today, myself along with a few other co workers rode in a colleagues new 2014 Nissan Maxima. Upon it being started, the vibration was quite noticeable, as well as the noise level of the cabin, and that's before the car was placed into D! Once we started moving and obtained highway speeds, I just couldn't believe how noisy the vehicle was! Everyone...I'm officially spoiled!
Old 02-18-15, 06:08 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm always amazed at how many people who know nothing about cars think that the Benz is the greatest car ever. And I'm not talking about an S65 or anything but a C class..lol

I'm always amazed by other cars, especially GM made vehicles. They are some of the noisiest things Ive been in. People always check the windows to make sure they are up. I have a GMC Safari that I use for work daily. I sheered a 1/2in pin off in the armrest the other day. I put some weight on it to lift myself over and it snapped. I'm only 200lbs so its not like I put a ton of weight on it. The dash grab handle also came off one day as someone was getting in. It's almost comical how poorly the interior is but the engines and tranny's are pretty decent.
Old 02-18-15, 06:14 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
...."you must think your special because you drive a poor man's luxury car! I'd understand if that was a Benz, but c'Mon man, it's a Lexus...a rebadged Avalon for Christ sakes!
What an a__hole!
Old 02-18-15, 06:18 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

You meet all kinds at Walgreens.
Old 02-18-15, 06:30 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Wow I can't believe that guy said that to you. I've never had anyone say anything like that to me.

I'm spoiled with this car too, everything else I drive in just seems so inferior to me right now...I've gotten spoiled I guess.

Speaking of sound/noise levels, when I was in the market to buy a new car I test drove many, but two cars were by far the quietest I drove...and it really surprised me what they were.

1. Chrysler 300 (2013 and up). It was like a tomb. Couldn't believe how quiet and tight that car was, but it was slow and boring as well.
2. Ford Taurus. My lord was this car quiet! Read somewhere that they are one of the quietest cars on the road, but it was by far the most lame car I test drove...at least the Chrysler looked and felt rich....the Taurus? Slow, boring, big and ugly.
Old 02-18-15, 06:33 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
What an a__hole!
Took the words right out of my mouth; this is pretty much all I had to say!

Even when I drove a $17k 5-speed Accord, I would park far away.
Old 02-18-15, 07:03 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Clearly the dude has no clue... But hey, we live in a free speech country and folks say the craziest things. A lady the other day told me she liked my BMW suv but I had to tell her it was a Dodge Durango lol. You just never know the bafoonery you'll encounter when you step outside of your house.
Old 02-18-15, 08:41 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I lol when I read your two things because we discussed these topics when you were searching for an 460, welcome to the other side my friend! The comment from the jelly individual just showed he is a hater so he decided to try to make you feel how he probably feels... everyday, you handle it with class which he lacked. Last owning a flagship car can make one not see the forrest for the trees sometimes until you ride/drive a different class vehicle to be reminded of how great the LS is. The LS is quiet enough that any small noise will be loud just like a new scratch on your car may be small to someone else (maybe it is) but to you it looks like canyon.

Last edited by Tee; 02-19-15 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 09:03 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

People who make comments like that clearly have never owned a nice car in their entire lives, nor do they possess the motivation to own one in the future. I am certainly glad to see you took the high road on this one.
Old 02-18-15, 11:17 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
1. So earlier this evening I stopped at my local Walgreens to get a few items. As people in my region, as others I assume, are notorious for being careless regarding their vehicles (wreckless driving/allowing doors to swing ALL the way open and carelessly bang the car adjacent to them), I purposely park my car as far away from other cars as I can. As I was leaving the store and walked towards my vehicle, a gentleman says to me..."you must think your special because you drive a poor man's luxury car! I'd understand if that was a Benz, but c'Mon man, it's a Lexus...a rebadged Avalon for Christ sakes! Take it easy on the park job...it's just a car!". My response: leading while a smile and chuckle..."thank you, and you have a great evening Sir".
2. I know that I've made mention of the noise factor of my LS in previous threads, as have others made it a mentionable topic. However, I will never again complain of cabin noise from this thread forward unless my LS explodes beneath the hood! Earlier today, myself along with a few other co workers rode in a colleagues new 2014 Nissan Maxima. Upon it being started, the vibration was quite noticeable, as well as the noise level of the cabin, and that's before the car was placed into D! Once we started moving and obtained highway speeds, I just couldn't believe how noisy the vehicle was! Everyone...I'm officially spoiled!
So if it was a Benz u were driving your parking would have been ok according to him? So it wasn't the parking that was the issue given his choice of comparisons, it was the Lexus badge. He hated on you for driving a Lexus but he outsmarted himself with the parking reference and even then, I don't think he realized it. lol!
But In all honesty, I think it was the parking that truly annoyed him, and he tried to use the Benz and Avalon comment to try to annoy you. Glad u didn't take the bait and that you responded so kindly.
Old 02-19-15, 08:44 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by greg3852
I'm always amazed at how many people who know nothing about cars think that the Benz is the greatest car ever. And I'm not talking about an S65 or anything but a C class..lol

I'm always amazed by other cars, especially GM made vehicles. They are some of the noisiest things Ive been in. People always check the windows to make sure they are up. I have a GMC Safari that I use for work daily. I sheered a 1/2in pin off in the armrest the other day. I put some weight on it to lift myself over and it snapped. I'm only 200lbs so its not like I put a ton of weight on it. The dash grab handle also came off one day as someone was getting in. It's almost comical how poorly the interior is but the engines and tranny's are pretty decent.
Im laughing a bit here...
In the past I have owned 2 GM suv's: One Tahoe, one Denali (essentially the same truck), and it bothered me how the wear would quickly show up over a short period of time from just touching/pressing the dash/radio/climate control *****! The leather seemed not to wear well either. I wasn't the best with applying leather conditioner, but i'd do it a few times a year. The armrest I was always weary about...they seemed to have a lot of play in them. But I have ot be honest here...the Tahoe really treated me pretty well. As you said the trans/engine were great! The Denali was a whole 'nother beast (AWD 6.0 V8)! Very fun to drive but I simply didn't do a good job of having the vehicle checked out (powertrain issues), so I had to get rid of it... Just wasn't a bill I wanted to deal with.
Old 02-19-15, 09:10 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Slightly off topic but a friend was looking at a GM-based SUV so I helped him look (Buick Enclave, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon) between 2009-2012 to meet his price range requirements. Almost 75% of all the vehicles I saw had significant wear on the leather driver's seat, the arm-rest for some of these were downright scary, plus the radio/climate control buttons had almost worn off http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/...25d2ad94c7.jpg. Good to have a previous owner's perspective on the aesthetics of these GM giants
I suggest you copy and paste this in the car chat forum as a new question and delete this post. You'll get better response there as this is off LS460/600 topic.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-19-15, 09:19 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sktn77a
What an a__hole!
LOL!!! My sentiments exactly!

R Z:
"You meet all kinds at Walgreens."

This is true... But for me, usually I just see the "all kinds"! But for whatever reason, this guy chose to pick on me for my poor choice of vehicle...I mean...what did I do??

Doublebase
"Wow I can't believe that guy said that to you. I've never had anyone say anything like that to me.

I'm spoiled with this car too, everything else I drive in just seems so inferior to me right now...I've gotten spoiled I guess.

Speaking of sound/noise levels, when I was in the market to buy a new car I test drove many, but two cars were by far the quietest I drove...and it really surprised me what they were.

1. Chrysler 300 (2013 and up). It was like a tomb. Couldn't believe how quiet and tight that car was, but it was slow and boring as well.
2. Ford Taurus. My lord was this car quiet! Read somewhere that they are one of the quietest cars on the road, but it was by far the most lame car I test drove...at least the Chrysler looked and felt rich....the Taurus? Slow, boring, big and ugly."

I usually don't have people speak to me at all in public...Like I said above, I guess my poor choice of vehicle prompted his outburst!
I've never driven in the newer Chryslers, but my neighbor has one and she seems to love it, and did say that she loves how quiet the cabin is. She was coming from an old Envoy.
Ironically, my other neighbor purchased a newer Taurus this past summer, and he loves for people to see him in it when the weathers warm and the suns out! It is a very pretty color-that cranberry color with the metallic sparkle in the paint, with chrome trim and chrome OEM wheels...
He told me shortly before it got cold: "Im telling you man...this car is smooth, fast, beautiful and incredibly quiet! Cant beat it!". Contrary to your statements Double...now why is that???

caha14
Quote:
"Took the words right out of my mouth; this is pretty much all I had to say!

Even when I drove a $17k 5-speed Accord, I would park far away."

I would say the same about my Honda, but its a 2000 with 180k+ miles with quite a few dings on the body already. I cant say I get too upset when I see a new one! LOL!!! As long as she keeps running, im happy!

CJITTY
"Clearly the dude has no clue... But hey, we live in a free speech country and folks say the craziest things. A lady the other day told me she liked my BMW suv but I had to tell her it was a Dodge Durango lol. You just never know the bafoonery you'll encounter when you step outside of your house."

Precisely. My very initial response was to react with equal or more ignorance, but I practiced restrain (which hasn't always been easy for me). I think I did ok with the LS, and I don't think i'll get any naysayers within this forum, or even outside of it. I chalked it up a comic relief! And hey...BMW...Dodge...whatever...they're all the same aren't they??

Tee
"I lol when I read your two things because we discussed these topics when you were searching for an 460, welcome to the other side my friend! The comment from the jelly individual just showed he is a hater so he decided to try to make you feel how he him probably... everyday, you handle it with class which he lacked. Last owning a flagship car can make one not see the forrest for the trees sometimes until you ride/drive a different class vehicle to be reminded of how great the LS is. The LS is quiet enough that any small noise will be loud just like a new scratch on your car may be small to someone else (maybe it is) but to you it looks like canyon."

I swear I thought about our conversation when I was riding in that Maxima. I even thought it was due to the fact that the Max is supposed to be more of a sports-type vehicle, so perhaps the pronounced noise is deliberate. Im not sure, but I was taken aback by the noise level.
And indeed, I felt the haterade was a'flowin'...but I just couldn't entertain the level of bafoonery-as Jitty called it, that he was displaying! Also, as you and I have discussed, its not to say that the Benz and Audi aren't beautiful vehicles, but as one guy said in a previous article I read, the Lexus is the "smart mans" luxury car!

CarGuy89
"People who make comments like that clearly have never owned a nice car in their entire lives, nor do they possess the motivation to own one in the future. I am certainly glad to see you took the high road on this one."

Thanks for the comment! It was a challenge, though not a huge one, not to respond in a fashion which would have possibly resulted in needless, childish back and forth banter, but...after quickly mulling over his comment, I felt it was humorous! And wait...I think he'd aspire to own one..it just wouldn't be the "poor man's luxury car". It'd of course be: A Benz!

Pamperme

Quote:
"So if it was a Benz u were driving your parking would have been ok according to him? So it wasn't the parking that was the issue given his choice of comparisons, it was the Lexus badge. He hated on you for driving a Lexus but he outsmarted himself with the parking reference and even then, I don't think he realized it. lol!
But In all honesty, I think it was the parking that truly annoyed him, and he tried to use the Benz and Avalon comment to try to annoy you. Glad u didn't take the bait and that you responded so kindly."

I actually laughed out loud while reading your comment! It's all together an ideology I didn't even think about-the ideal that he outsmarted himself with the comments! Very funny! And its funny...its not that I took up two spaces...or parked at an angle, I just parked in the very end space at the end of the last row in the parking lot. Now c'mon..everyone here has been to a Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aid...whatever! The lots simply aren't that large! People are running in and out, its cold, windy..things happen! The guy just didn't like my parking choice...or was it the car??
Old 02-19-15, 11:30 AM
baam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

"you must think your special because you drive a poor man's luxury car! I'd understand if that was a Benz, but c'Mon man, it's a Lexus...a rebadged Avalon for Christ sakes!"

I find that these kinds of comments are usually based on jealousy or ignorance. I expect they are also the kind of people who would enjoy "keying" a nice car if the thought they could get away with it.

Last edited by baam; 02-19-15 at 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-19-15, 11:40 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

A Merc especially the S class will always command that level of presence. If you own an E class it will be quickly be made apparent to you by others that you don't own an S.
BMW has long been in Mercedes shadow and not even close.

These people that make those general statements are exactly the type of personalities that luxury companies want to attract who see social class and one day achieving the stigma of douchebaggery.
It's just a car and the worst offenders are those that need image because they cant carry a normal down to earth personality that is far removed from what they drive or where they live.

Quick Reply: 2 Things...