LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Considering 2011-12 LS460! Things to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 10:13 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Thank you Tee! That is good to know. I understand what you mean completely. My LS is the quietest and best made car I've ever owned, and after test driving an '11 460 last year I was very pleasantly surprised at just how dead quiet it is! A step up from the already silent 430 for sure. I always try to go on an extended test drive with the radio off to hear any little noises that are there. I am a bit OCD about them lol. Btw I am a big fan of your 460 the color and tasteful mods make it very unique and well done!
If you are annoyed by any little noise this may be an issue for you but you will have to determine that if you run across an 460 with the issue. IS150 posted above a good way to listen for the noise and thanks for the kind words.
Old 02-16-15, 12:05 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by is150
As for the brake actuator, after turning the car on and pressing the brake to place the car in drive or reverse, listen for a click or a groan/crunch noise. You can also test for this by turning the car on and leaving the car in park. Firmly press the brake pedal as far down as you can. If defective you may only hear a click every 6 pumps up to the worst which is a groan/crunch every 2 pumps or so.
Thanks for the very specific info, I will definitely do so.

Originally Posted by Tee
If you are annoyed by any little noise this may be an issue for you but you will have to determine that if you run across an 460 with the issue. IS150 posted above a good way to listen for the noise and thanks for the kind words.
I don't like the little noises but I'm learning to live with them. My first few months of ownership of the X5 was my ripping apart my rear tailgate and felt taping everything. Much better but still way more little rattles compared to the LS. At this point I've learned to ignore them lol.
Old 02-16-15, 12:21 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Statement - Toyota engineers do not refer to the changes as "facelift." Toyota engineers refer to it as "Minor Model Change." Hyundai engineers DO refer to it as "facelift." After living the nightmare with Hyundai, I use the term Minor Model Change.

Question - Isn't the 2010 the minor model change vehicle along with the 11's and 12's? Or is the 10's the same model with the previous?

Oh, and my 2010 ML system seems to have bass punch. If it's not one of the models with punch, I'd really like to hear one that does have punch. I can't even imagine.
Old 02-16-15, 12:35 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Statement - Toyota engineers do not refer to the changes as "facelift." Toyota engineers refer to it as "Minor Model Change." Hyundai engineers DO refer to it as "facelift." After living the nightmare with Hyundai, I use the term Minor Model Change.

Question - Isn't the 2010 the minor model change vehicle along with the 11's and 12's? Or is the 10's the same model with the previous?

Oh, and my 2010 ML system seems to have bass punch. If it's not one of the models with punch, I'd really like to hear one that does have punch. I can't even imagine.
I stand corrected then, minor model change it is. Yes the 2010 is start of this, but my only reason for not putting it on my list is that the '10 with AWD had air suspension as standard equipment. They dropped it as standard equipment for the '11+. I know that it might ride better with air and that it may or may not fail, but I already like the ride on springs and don't feel the need for air. That is just my opinion though
Old 02-16-15, 02:42 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I stand corrected then, minor model change it is. Yes the 2010 is start of this, but my only reason for not putting it on my list is that the '10 with AWD had air suspension as standard equipment. They dropped it as standard equipment for the '11+. I know that it might ride better with air and that it may or may not fail, but I already like the ride on springs and don't feel the need for air. That is just my opinion though
I didn't know that about the air suspension being standard on the 10 AWD. I was wondering why you were skipping it. I don't blame you about the air suspension. It is something else that can go wrong. I have a little angel on one should whispering, "less complexity is less that can go wrong," But on the other shoulder I have a little devil with a louder voice going, "yeah, but it's so cool!" The little devil won out in this case. My work buddies go nuts (I don't know why, I just think it's ok) when I pull into a parking lot, hit the HIGH HEIGHT button and park. Then they look back and say, it looks like a cross-over vehicle with it raised up like that ... and it does look that way, kind of like a Pacifica ... just a lot more perdy.

I'll be honest, I'm not certain if the ride is that much better or not with the air suspension. Plus, I would like to know if the "Sport Mode" would actually make some advantage on an autocross course. But I'll never know, as I won't run this car that hard. I'll use the RX-7 for the autocross course. I always drive the car in "Comfort Mode" and usually in "Standard" power mode.

Sounds to me like you're targeting the optimal vehicles for your preference. Sorry, I don't have anything to look for as I'm new to the LS. But I think it doesn't matter what tires are on it, you'll eventually replace them anyway, you can get better tires at that time.
Old 02-16-15, 03:55 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't know that about the air suspension being standard on the 10 AWD. I was wondering why you were skipping it. I don't blame you about the air suspension. It is something else that can go wrong. I have a little angel on one should whispering, "less complexity is less that can go wrong," But on the other shoulder I have a little devil with a louder voice going, "yeah, but it's so cool!" The little devil won out in this case. My work buddies go nuts (I don't know why, I just think it's ok) when I pull into a parking lot, hit the HIGH HEIGHT button and park. Then they look back and say, it looks like a cross-over vehicle with it raised up like that ... and it does look that way, kind of like a Pacifica ... just a lot more perdy.

I'll be honest, I'm not certain if the ride is that much better or not with the air suspension. Plus, I would like to know if the "Sport Mode" would actually make some advantage on an autocross course. But I'll never know, as I won't run this car that hard. I'll use the RX-7 for the autocross course. I always drive the car in "Comfort Mode" and usually in "Standard" power mode.

Sounds to me like you're targeting the optimal vehicles for your preference. Sorry, I don't have anything to look for as I'm new to the LS. But I think it doesn't matter what tires are on it, you'll eventually replace them anyway, you can get better tires at that time.
Haha thanks for the entertaining read! I am certainly intrigued by the concept of having a suspension that does it all. However, it is just me trying to keep running costs lower in the long run and the fact that I already like the ride on standard suspension. With pretty much all the flagships doing air as standard now, it seems like it won't be long until they become almost as reliable as coils.

As far as sports mode goes, I hear that it is more or less a placebo effect - mainly from Top Gear. It is a bit odd to me that stiffer suspension with a more responsible transmission wouldnt have a more positive effect (who knows though the Stig is just that much better of a driver than the rest of us lol). I can say that the sports button on my X5 is a placebo trick (doesn't do anything), but clicking the transmission over to sport makes it feel more responsive (same with the LS).

You caught me. While I am trying to make this more general info, I am also being selfish and getting more info towards the specific car I'm looking at (but isn't that human nature?). Thanks again for your help, much appreciated buddy!
Old 02-16-15, 06:02 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I am one of the few that would not own the car without sport mode. Have a 2011 Sport. Without sport mode the wife gets car sick. Just like on a boat she gets sea sick. Its not a big difference but just enough. I also don't care for it when not in sport mode. If this is not a problem for you then I would do everything I could to get a model or year without air suspension.
Old 02-16-15, 07:01 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rayh78
I am one of the few that would not own the car without sport mode. Have a 2011 Sport. Without sport mode the wife gets car sick. Just like on a boat she gets sea sick. Its not a big difference but just enough. I also don't care for it when not in sport mode. If this is not a problem for you then I would do everything I could to get a model or year without air suspension.
A valid point. I am in the car alone 90% of the time and I've never felt car sick (I have the softer 430 as well as a firmer X5, and previously a 3 series). I may have friends and family ride along and they've all done fine so far lol. I test drove an '11 460 AWD on springs last year and really liked the ride, they stiffened it up without making it uncomfortable. I felt like you still glide along, but lose some of that body roll in the corners compared to the 430, which is very nice.
Old 02-18-15, 08:57 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Tax question: Suppose I am considering trading a car in. I live in a state (MI) which does not have a tax credit that goes towards the trade-in difference. Instead, you pay trade-in difference + tax on cost of new car value. However, most states near me (for ex. IL and OH) offer such incentives (trade in value + tax on w/e the difference was). My question is am I allowed to use their policy if I buy the car out of state (in a state that allows this)?

In other words, I am trying to make it so things even out. I would ideally like to be only taxed on the difference in price we agree upon, vs being taxed on the price of the new vehicle (which is what is done in MI). What I may lose on a private sale, I gain with a few thousand in tax savings and save myself the hassle. Thanks in advance for your replies!
Old 02-18-15, 09:21 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Don't think so as your current vehicle title is not in that state so you didn't pay taxes in IL or OH to get the credit for...I think
Old 02-19-15, 12:23 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wandl
Don't think so as your current vehicle title is not in that state so you didn't pay taxes in IL or OH to get the credit for...I think
That makes sense, part of me didn't think you could do it and double dip (since I pay my state taxes). I meant to ask a few dealers in the area but its been so negatively cold out I just haven't found the willpower. Thanks for your input!
Old 02-19-15, 01:25 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

What sort of noise is it specifically? A clicking when you step on the brakes? This will be added to the list. Thanks!
Inside or outside clicking? My '11 LS460 has a slight clicking when apply the brakes which sounds like it's coming from the inside (under the dash perhaps).
Old 02-19-15, 02:39 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

some awesome 2011-2012 cars can be found here:

http://www.offleaseonly.com/used-lexus-ls_460.htm
Old 02-19-15, 03:07 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

That makes sense, part of me didn't think you could do it and double dip (since I pay my state taxes). I meant to ask a few dealers in the area but its been so negatively cold out I just haven't found the willpower. Thanks for your input!
I wouldn't ask a salesman at a dealership, you'll get a different answer from each one, and none of them will represent you at a state or IRS tax audit to defend their advice. If you have a CPA check with him/her, otherwise ask your insurance agent.
Old 02-19-15, 03:47 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Jud149 - Not sure, perhaps another member can chime in.

Originally Posted by peteybabes
some awesome 2011-2012 cars can be found here:

http://www.offleaseonly.com/used-lexus-ls_460.htm
Thanks for the resource! Can't wait till it gets warmer and I can at least sell one of the cars!

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I wouldn't ask a salesman at a dealership, you'll get a different answer from each one, and none of them will represent you at a state or IRS tax audit to defend their advice. If you have a CPA check with him/her, otherwise ask your insurance agent.
Good point, I had not considered that. I can see how dealers can just say good things to try to pressure me into the car. Sure don't want an ordeal with the IRS over a few thousand $$!! At this point I am thinking I will for sure private sale the X5, then maybe take a small hit on the 430. Idk I feel like a Lexus dealer would give me an OK deal considering its condition. It seems that it just isn't worth it.

Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Considering 2011-12 LS460! Things to look for?