LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Considering 2011-12 LS460! Things to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-15, 07:07 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Considering 2011-12 LS460! Things to look for?

Hi everyone,
I want to say a quick hello to the 460/600 club! I am not new to the LS, I currently have an 04 LS430, but am getting close to begin seriously shopping for a 460. I am admittedly a long time lurker on this forum, so I've tried to soak up as much info as I can before posting. I do realize there is a similar thread, but that is for the pre-facelift model and from what I understand quite a few changes were made. I made a similar thread a few yrs back when I was shopping for my 430 and it really helped me and a few others out, so maybe this can serve as a sticky for future potential buyers.

From what I have read so far, aside from going on Lexus service and checking the car out, things to look out for:
1) AWD system - may be a bit jerky esp up a hill, not all of them do it so find one that doesn't.
2) Sunroof creak/pop - Sounds like a hit or miss, but usually heard going up an uneven incline.
3) Control arms (?) - I've read many posts stating that the 2010+ has been revised, but then some say not until '13. Pretty much do some tight turns and listen for noises.
4) Air suspension (if applicable) - wear + tear item.
(courtesy of greg 3852)
5) Check the dash for any noise along with the sunroof pop.
6) Check the glove box for sag and alignment.
7) Check the tires and try to not get Turenza's as that will just be another bill because you will hate them,
8) Get the ML system. It is that much better.
(Courtesy of is150 and Tee)
9) listen for the brake actuator noise (or verify that it has been upgraded to the ls600 version) - audible clicking when stepping on the brakes best heard with radio off, not hazard to performance.
- after turning the car on and pressing the brake to place the car in drive or reverse, listen for a click or a groan/crunch noise. You can also test for this by turning the car on and leaving the car in park. Firmly press the brake pedal as far down as you can. If defective you may only hear a click every 6 pumps up to the worst which is a groan/crunch every 2 pumps or so.

Off the top of my head that's what I can think of, I will try to add points to the post as many helpful members bring them up. Thanks everyone in advance, I will post my specifics below.

Last edited by CarGuy89; 02-16-15 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-14-15, 07:11 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

For my specific car, I'm looking at an AWD (so 09+) without air suspension (don't want to deal with the headaches plus my coils ride fine on my 430). That leaves me with the 2011/2012 model years, which is a good thing: newer, lower mileage with CPO on a lot of them. My personal preference is the L version, purely off looks alone. The added bonus like laminated rear window is just icing on the cake. I figure they're roughly the same price so why not. Here's my current top choice: http://www.lexusoffreehold.com/Vehic...-NJ/2456536213.

I am willing to drive (500ish mi) for the perfect one. It will be my car for the next few years. I probably won't be moving on it until April/May so just doing my homework early. Thanks again everyone, I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say!

Things I'm personally looking for:
CPO - Peace of mind, I would rather pay more now for a cleaner, low mileage car than later on.
Price - <$50k, I will be selling my 430 along with my X5.
Mileage - Ideally less than 30k mi, but I understand mileage doesn't always tell the whole story.
Color - Subjective but I am looking for silver or gray.

Last edited by CarGuy89; 02-14-15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-14-15, 07:45 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I would add to obviously check service records and look for as many TSIB's done as possible.

Check the dash for any noise along with the sunroof pop.
Check the glove box for sag and alignment.
Check the tires and try to not get Turenza's as that will just be another bill because you will hate them,
Get the ML system. It is that much better.

If I think of more I'll add them
Old 02-14-15, 08:42 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I think you covered most of the bases in terms of

Control arms - not revised till 2013, but if you're going for a CPO you may not have to worry about this anyway (not short term)
Aesthetics - the LS460 went through a minor refresh in 2010 so 2011-2012 isn't a bad year, plus most CPO's are in that range (here in TX, 2011 LS460 CPO's with 40-50k miles going in low $30s).

With a budget of $50k (or thereabouts) you could almost expand your search for a LS600h (talk to CJITTY about that) which takes the LS series on a whole new level...
Old 02-14-15, 09:46 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by greg3852
I would add to obviously check service records and look for as many TSIB's done as possible.

Check the dash for any noise along with the sunroof pop.
Check the glove box for sag and alignment.
Check the tires and try to not get Turenza's as that will just be another bill because you will hate them,
Get the ML system. It is that much better.

If I think of more I'll add them
Thank you! I will add your guidelines to my first post.
+1 on the tires! I had the Bridgestones on my 430 and hated them. Switched to a set of Michelein Primacys and its night and day! I may try the Michelein Premiers this time around

Originally Posted by Wandl
I think you covered most of the bases in terms of

Control arms - not revised till 2013, but if you're going for a CPO you may not have to worry about this anyway (not short term)
Aesthetics - the LS460 went through a minor refresh in 2010 so 2011-2012 isn't a bad year, plus most CPO's are in that range (here in TX, 2011 LS460 CPO's with 40-50k miles going in low $30s).

With a budget of $50k (or thereabouts) you could almost expand your search for a LS600h (talk to CJITTY about that) which takes the LS series on a whole new level...
Thanks for your input! Yes the 600h is very tempting and I've seen lots of beautiful examples on this forum! However, air suspension is standard which I just don't want to deal with and I plan on keeping the car 5+ yrs so the hybrid system would be another consideration. Maybe next time

Last edited by CarGuy89; 02-14-15 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-15-15, 09:12 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

The 2011-12 LS 460s are the only two models in this lineup that don't have any recalls and I believe the bushings have been addressed in 2011 because the TSB bulletins for this issue stops at 2010. If you are looking for the most trouble free cars this would be it but keep in mind that more options like the AWD and the air suspension may require more maintenance down the road.
Old 02-15-15, 09:19 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

One last thing, don't discount Bridgestone tires because of one lousy set of tires that came with the car. I switched to Bridgestone premium tires and I'm very happy with them.
Old 02-15-15, 11:49 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
The 2011-12 LS 460s are the only two models in this lineup that don't have any recalls and I believe the bushings have been addressed in 2011 because the TSB bulletins for this issue stops at 2010. If you are looking for the most trouble free cars this would be it but keep in mind that more options like the AWD and the air suspension may require more maintenance down the road.
That is good to know! Yes if I didn't live where I did I would totally lose the AWD and just go with good ol fashion RWD. Unfortunately with the horrific weather, there is no other choice.

As for the Bridgestones, you are right maybe I just got a crap set or a lower model of them. I guess if my comment earlier was saying anything it was to share my positive experience with the Micheleins.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 02-15-15, 03:02 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

ML on the 2012 is not very good. Lacks bass and punch.
Old 02-15-15, 04:26 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
ML on the 2012 is not very good. Lacks bass and punch.
Yes I heard that they dialed it down on the facelifts b/c of blown amps on the 07-09s. Truth be told I'm not a huge audiophile anyway so either sound system will do. I currently have the ML on my 430 and while its a very clear system, I feel like it lacks some punch as well. It does seem that more 460s come optioned with it than not.
Old 02-15-15, 06:49 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you listen for the brake actuator noise, or verify that it has been upgraded to the ls600 version. That's an expensive bill if the car doesn't have a warranty.
Old 02-15-15, 06:54 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by is150
Make sure you listen for the brake actuator noise, or verify that it has been upgraded to the ls600 version. That's an expensive bill if the car doesn't have a warranty.
What sort of noise is it specifically? A clicking when you step on the brakes? This will be added to the list. Thanks!
Old 02-15-15, 09:12 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
What sort of noise is it specifically? A clicking when you step on the brakes? This will be added to the list. Thanks!
The 07's had the noise (Clicking) when pressing the brake pedal, the noise is not loud but can be heard if the radio is off. My SWB had this noise but I lived with it no passengers notice it, the noise does not affect performance just a bad design. One thing I learned owning my 3rd LS is that they are so quiet that when a noise appears it apparent and will bother the owner vs if in a different class car the noise would be masked by normal operating noise level of the car.
Old 02-15-15, 09:32 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tee
The 07's had the noise (Clicking) when pressing the brake pedal, the noise is not loud but can be heard if the radio is off. My SWB had this noise but I lived with it no passengers notice it, the noise does not affect performance just a bad design. One thing I learned owning my 3rd LS is that they are so quiet that when a noise appears it apparent and will bother the owner vs if in a different class car the noise would be masked by normal operating noise level of the car.
Thank you Tee! That is good to know. I understand what you mean completely. My LS is the quietest and best made car I've ever owned, and after test driving an '11 460 last year I was very pleasantly surprised at just how dead quiet it is! A step up from the already silent 430 for sure. I always try to go on an extended test drive with the radio off to hear any little noises that are there. I am a bit OCD about them lol. Btw I am a big fan of your 460 the color and tasteful mods make it very unique and well done!

Last edited by CarGuy89; 02-15-15 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-16-15, 07:28 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As for the brake actuator, after turning the car on and pressing the brake to place the car in drive or reverse, listen for a click or a groan/crunch noise. You can also test for this by turning the car on and leaving the car in park. Firmly press the brake pedal as far down as you can. If defective you may only hear a click every 6 pumps up to the worst which is a groan/crunch every 2 pumps or so.

Quick Reply: Considering 2011-12 LS460! Things to look for?