Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

New 2008 LS600h l Launch Edition Owner...Uh Oh !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 09:56 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
the CPO is really a miracle. 3/100k is just included. You can pay more to make it 5/125k but you have to buy it at the time of the sale - it can't be bought from a different dealer later on like with the Gold and Platinum plans. I am only going factory CPO next time again to avoid these aftermarket warranty issues I hear about.
Exactly what I did. I gladly spent that extra $1500 or so to push it out to 5/125
Old 03-10-15, 05:45 PM
payneiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well here is how the story settles. I took the car back to the dealership I bought it from and they replaced the the front left shock. Total price: $1498.00. My cost: $0.00. Can't beat that.

I also cancelled the crappy warranty the dealership sold me but unfortunately I am stuck with the extra $40.00 per month payment. They said I would just pay it off earlier. I would rather have that extra $40.00 per month to pay for a different warranty.

Speaking of warranties, I then bought the 5 year / 60,000 mile Lexus Gold Warranty from Mr John Desmet of the Merrilville Lexus. The cost was $3799 plus his $205 fee. I put $1700.00 down and my payments will be about 125.00 per month for 18 months. I really wanted the Platinum warranty because it covers more suspension components than the Gold, but at $5,299.00 plus his $205.00 fee, that would have been too much to pony up for in the next 18 months and my car budget. I gotta eat. The prices were non-negotiable.

As for which number LS600h l launch edition I have, Lexus Corp told me there is no way to tell. They manufactured 50 one month and 50 the next month in no numerical order therefore there is no way to distinguish one Launch Edition from another. So the guy on Youtube a few years back who said his Launch Edition was confirmed as number 12 was not being truthful. According to Lexus Corp. he just threw an arbitrary number out there to justify his asking price.

With all of that being said I now have to find someone who can dye the Lexus leather as it looks as if my leather in my back seats was previously dyed and when I cleaned it with Lexol cleaner and conditioner, it took the dye completely off. It looks really bad. This is turning out to be much more of an expensive endeavor than it should be. I never had to worry about the Cadillac Tahoma leather. Well I hope this all pays off in the end and doesn't make me regret giving up the Caddy. The Caddy was not as technologically advanced as the Lex but the Lex being a $120,000.00 car should have more durable leather than a Cadillac DTS. Well, I will keep you guys posted if anything new pops up. It sounds as if the air conditioner blower motor has started making chirping noises today. What next ????
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LFS_VSA_Platinum_eBrochure.pdf (1.61 MB, 391 views)
File Type: pdf
LFS_VSA_Gold_eBrochure.pdf (1.40 MB, 215 views)
Old 03-10-15, 07:03 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Hey, I think it worked out well for you all considered.

I guess the previous owner tried to dye the leather, not a good idea. You might want to post the matter, along with some photos, in the Automotive Care & Detailing forum. There are some very knowledgeable guys there (like Zack, zmcgovern4) who can probably help you.
Old 03-10-15, 07:23 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by payneiii
Well here is how the story settles. I took the car back to the dealership I bought it from and they replaced the the front left shock. Total price: $1498.00. My cost: $0.00. Can't beat that.

I also cancelled the crappy warranty the dealership sold me but unfortunately I am stuck with the extra $40.00 per month payment. They said I would just pay it off earlier. I would rather have that extra $40.00 per month to pay for a different warranty.

Speaking of warranties, I then bought the 5 year / 60,000 mile Lexus Gold Warranty from Mr John Desmet of the Merrilville Lexus. The cost was $3799 plus his $205 fee. I put $1700.00 down and my payments will be about 125.00 per month for 18 months. I really wanted the Platinum warranty because it covers more suspension components than the Gold, but at $5,299.00 plus his $205.00 fee, that would have been too much to pony up for in the next 18 months and my car budget. I gotta eat. The prices were non-negotiable.

As for which number LS600h l launch edition I have, Lexus Corp told me there is no way to tell. They manufactured 50 one month and 50 the next month in no numerical order therefore there is no way to distinguish one Launch Edition from another. So the guy on Youtube a few years back who said his Launch Edition was confirmed as number 12 was not being truthful. According to Lexus Corp. he just threw an arbitrary number out there to justify his asking price.

With all of that being said I now have to find someone who can dye the Lexus leather as it looks as if my leather in my back seats was previously dyed and when I cleaned it with Lexol cleaner and conditioner, it took the dye completely off. It looks really bad. This is turning out to be much more of an expensive endeavor than it should be. I never had to worry about the Cadillac Tahoma leather. Well I hope this all pays off in the end and doesn't make me regret giving up the Caddy. The Caddy was not as technologically advanced as the Lex but the Lex being a $120,000.00 car should have more durable leather than a Cadillac DTS. Well, I will keep you guys posted if anything new pops up. It sounds as if the air conditioner blower motor has started making chirping noises today. What next ????
Hey, glad to see that it worked out for you regarding the warranty with Mr. Desmet! Your covered now! I know it may seem annoying with the possibility of the blower motor issue, but that may be covered. You were in the thick of a rather grand ordeal, and I would surmise that once the dust settles, you'll have quite a great vehicle that's warrantied!
Old 03-10-15, 11:44 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Glad you got it sorted and at least mechanically you shouldn't really face any unexpected surprises that would hit you hard in the wallet. Enjoy the ride!!
Old 03-11-15, 08:16 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=payneiii;8947755This is turning out to be much more of an expensive endeavor than it should be. I never had to worry about the Cadillac Tahoma leather. Well I hope this all pays off in the end and doesn't make me regret giving up the Caddy. The Caddy was not as technologically advanced as the Lex but the Lex being a $120,000.00 car should have more durable leather than a Cadillac DTS. Well, I will keep you guys posted if anything new pops up. It sounds as if the air conditioner blower motor has started making chirping noises today. What next ????[/QUOTE]

this is very disappointing for some of us owners to hear, so i hope that this can become a good experience for you and help you forget Caddy.
Old 03-11-15, 08:53 AM
CJITTY

Im still scratching my head on the $5200 portion of the update..you can always refinance so keep an eye on rates as they can drop enough to make it work .do it early in the loan and there isnt much impact.
Old 03-11-15, 11:06 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Im still scratching my head on the $5200 portion of the update..you can always refinance so keep an eye on rates as they can drop enough to make it work .do it early in the loan and there isnt much impact.
so am I, as I had signed up with the platinum (3yr/50K) warranty for around $2400...

like you say, refinance (try it through lexus!) and they may give a better deal on the warranty.
Old 03-14-15, 09:00 PM
payneiii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Hey paynelli, welcome to Club Lexus and very sorry to hear about your problems with the car. On one hand I am tempted to say stick with the car and with a new battery and control arms you will be good to go for quite some time.

However, I have never heard of a battery going on any Toyota product. So the fact that this has happened to you makes me think you may have bought the proverbial lemon.

It's a roll of the dice, but I think if it was me I might bail on this car and take the Caddy back. It's really a toss up for me.

If reliability is important to you, definitely stay away from a used MB unless you have a full bumper to bumper warranty for many years out.

This just gets more and more hilarious as time goes on. I got up Friday morning to go to work and started the 600 up and ......the check engine light comes on. It's not flashing but is steady. I drove immediately to the Dealership and he said it could be an oxygen sensor (not covered by my Gold warranty from what I see). I've gotta bring it in and drop it off Monday morning before I go to work. What next ?? My definition of reliability and headache free dependability must be vastly different than Lexus Corporation because this is not the Pursuit of Excellence I expected, lol.
Old 03-14-15, 10:27 PM
CJITTY

This just gets more and more hilarious as time goes on. I got up Friday morning to go to work and started the 600 up and ......the check engine light comes on. It's not flashing but is steady. I drove immediately to the Dealership and he said it could be an oxygen sensor (not covered by my Gold warranty from what I see). I've gotta bring it in and drop it off Monday morning before I go to work. What next ?? My definition of reliability and headache free dependability must be vastly different than Lexus Corporation because this is not the Pursuit of Excellence I expected, lol.
Damn...this sux. Maybe you got that one french fry thats kinda burned up way more than the other fries...this is not normal imo
Old 03-14-15, 11:03 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thankfully, from what I understand, these problems are not the norm.
Old 03-16-15, 03:11 AM
payneiii
Driver School Candidate

I went to Autozone yesterday and after they scanned it they said it was code P1422. That's either a loose fuel cap, faulty vent solenoid, EVAP line loose or damaged, or a faulty Purge solenoid. It won't hurt anything and over the course of a year I might lose $30.00 in gasoline and of course the "check engine" light would always be on. So with that being said, I cancelled my appointment this morning with the Dealership before I went to work. I am getting about 17 MPG in the city which is only slightly better than I got with the Caddy DTS. It kinda takes away from the benefit of having the hybrid system if I am going to get reduced fuel consumption. It doesn't look as if any of those things above are covered under my Lexus used car Gold warranty so I think I will try to figure out which it is and replace it. Looks like the Purge solenoid is a $478.00 part on Ebay, ha ha. I guess it's a good thing it isn't a $1300.00 oxygen sensor (also not covered under my warranty).

Last edited by payneiii; 03-16-15 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-16-15, 05:32 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I went to Autozone yesterday and after they scanned it they said it was code P1422. That's either a loose fuel cap, faulty vent solenoid, EVAP line loose or damaged, or a faulty Purge solenoid. It won't hurt anything and over the course of a year I might lose $30.00 in gasoline and of course the "check engine" light would always be on. So with that being said, I cancelled my appointment this morning with the Dealership before I went to work. I am getting about 17 MPG in the city which is only slightly better than I got with the Caddy DTS. It kinda takes away from the benefit of having the hybrid system if I am going to get reduced fuel consumption. It doesn't look as if any of those things above are covered under my Lexus used car Gold warranty so I think I will try to figure out which it is and replace it. Looks like the Purge solenoid is a $478.00 part on Ebay, ha ha. I guess it's a good thing it isn't a $1300.00 oxygen sensor (also not covered under my warranty).
Laughable that Lexus quoted you 1300 for an o2 sensor, They're under 20 bucks on Ebay and installed easily by a DIY'er.

Did you have the SES light reset to see if it returns? Start with the O2 sensor, gas cap and see if that fixes it. If not, then go with the evap.
Old 03-16-15, 07:18 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Keep in mind the 600 is a performance hybrid not a fuel saving design like a Prius.
Old 03-16-15, 09:24 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

$1300??????? That's insane! You can order the part from Lexus south Atlanta and have your local dealer install it. I had Lexus do my O2 sensor on my ls430 and the total (my Lexus dealer's parts and their labor) was $150.

I wouldn't ignore it though. This "minor" problem could lead to an even bigger one.

How aggressive r u at shopping around and haggling for the lowest price?

Last edited by Pamperme; 03-16-15 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: New 2008 LS600h l Launch Edition Owner...Uh Oh !!!