Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

New 2008 LS600h l Launch Edition Owner...Uh Oh !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-15, 12:59 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

these prices are sounding a lot better now!

the Endurance sounds like a steal...
Old 02-23-15, 03:25 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by payneiii
Today I received a quote from Carchex. They want 3 years / 30 months for $2365.77 in 24 installment payments of $98.58 monthly for their Titanium coverage, Plan 1. It's bumper to bumper and also covers Control Arms and every component in the Hybrid System except for the battery. Twenty minutes later, a company named Endurance contacted me. They offer exclusionary contracts. They quoted me at 5 years / 54,000 miles for $3301.00 in 18 installment payments of $183.39 and a $200 discount on that price if I sign up today for their "Supreme" plan for used vehicles. They claim theirs is also bumper to bumper and is equal to the Lexus new car warranty "WORD FOR WORD" and also covers everything in the hybrid system. Both have a waiting period of 30 days or 1000 miles whichever comes first and $100 deductibles.

I also have left several messages for John Desmet of the Merrillville Lexus and have received no response. I have attached sample contracts from both third party warranties. What do you think ??
I researched this when I was looking to purchase for my car, Carchex is a stand-up company and have had pretty good reviews about the claims experiences, I know a couple of CL members have Carchex and have used them for repairs (including control arms)....Endurance sounds like the better deal and way to go, however, I see mixed reviews (most about getting a refund for their policy, not about claims)...

Both these two companies don't cover "pre-existing conditions" so as long as you have your dealer document everything (in case the warranty company will try to say that your car was already broken from before)...
Old 02-23-15, 06:39 PM
payneiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gentleman from Endurance called me back and told me that if I chose their warranty today they would give me a substantial discount and my payments would be $300.10 down and 24 monthly payments of $112.00. I told him I needed to sit down tonight and carefully look over their coverage vs Carchex. He told me that unlike Carchex, Endurance is the administrator of your warranty so you don't have to call someone else to make a claim. and that Carchex underwrites for someone else. I was told I could take 30 days to compare their warranty word for word with Lexus new car warranty's and if I didn't agree that the coverage was the same as Lexus, I could cancel for a full refund and take Carfax up on their offer. I was then given an extension until tomorrow noon to think about it, sleep on it, and make a choice and still receive the discounts.

As far as the hybrid battery, the Lexus dealership called me and said the battery finally arrived this morning and that they would work on it tomorrow as well as the Service Bulletin/ Recall from October 2014 concerning the potential for leaking fuel (all under factory warranty). So I may be reunited with Lexi tomorrow at the earliest. This ordeal is almost over. I'm gonna miss the RX350 they gave me as a loaner. But now I've gotta make a choice concerning the warranties.

On a side note, I also contacted Lexus Corporate today to find out if they knew of any way to verify which number Launch Edition 600 I had. They tried really hard and are to be commended but they didn't have a clue. They had no answers and called everybody in the world it seemed like. Makes me wonder how the guy who claims he verified his as number 12 a few years ago actually did it.

Last edited by payneiii; 02-23-15 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-23-15, 08:04 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the last 6 digits of any vin number is the unit production number. If someone has build number ending in 000012 then he does have the 12th one ever produced. You can look up a lot of info when you disect your vin number.
Old 02-23-15, 08:05 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh ya, I live in Denver Colorado and will be stopping by Stevenson lexus this weekend to look at some cars. Need me to ask any questions?
Old 02-24-15, 07:29 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Unsober1
I believe the last 6 digits of any vin number is the unit production number. If someone has build number ending in 000012 then he does have the 12th one ever produced. You can look up a lot of info when you disect your vin number.
Correct. However, it's still an LS460, so I doubt they would issue a unique VIN just because it's a "special edition". It probably would just receive an LS460 production number.
Old 02-24-15, 07:46 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Correct. However, it's still an LS460, so I doubt they would issue a unique VIN just because it's a "special edition". It probably would just receive an LS460 production number.
I don't know for sure if the final digits will match the special number, though being a "launch" edition, that would make sense. However, FWIW, 600 has its own VIN sequence separate from 460.
Old 02-24-15, 08:44 AM
ctatum7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the Carchex warranty is more inclusive.
Old 02-24-15, 04:16 PM
payneiii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Did you try calling Lexus of Merrillville?? As I stated above, there were still warranty options available for me. I don't entirely think it has to do with miles, although it is a determining factor. I have less than 70k miles, but my car, due to its age and miles, is well out of factory warranty.
The gentleman at Merrillville told me that a warranty option would still be available for me, but once the vehicle went over 70k, the prices would jump drastically. I would say give them a call and see what they tell you.
Ask for John Desmet. He may tell you that there are many options to go over and it'd be best if you came in (what he told me over the phone), but just let him know your not exactly close and you'd like to get quotes over the phone.
Good luck!

Thanks for the great info, CRowe14. I sent John Desmet at the Merrillville Lexus Dealership an e-mail yesterday. He got back to me today and says he won't be back in until Thursday. I told him about my current situation and he said usually they like to do a 161 point inspection but in my case he pulled up the service history and was impressed. He then preceded to quote me prices on Lexus used car warranties. These are priced based on the fact my car has less than 125,000 miles and is less than nine years old:

Lexus Platinum

3 year / 36,000 miles @ $4,399.00, 4 year / 50,000 miles @ $4,999, and 5 year / 60,000 miles @ $5,299.00

Lexus Gold

3 year / 36,000 miles @ $3,199.00, 4 year / 50,000 miles @ $3,499, and 5 year / 60,000 miles @ $3,799.00

You have to pay full price up front or if you want to make payments, then it will cost you 10% down and an additional fee of $175.00 to $300.00 at the time of inception depending on the warranty you choose. You would then pay off the balance in 18 equal installments. The difference between the Lexus Platinum and Gold is that the Gold only covers about 80% of what the Platinum does. For instance, the Gold will not cover our Navigation system but the Platinum will.

In comparison, the Carchex wants 3 years / 30 months for $2365.77 in 24 installment payments of $98.58 monthly for their Titanium coverage, Plan 1. It's bumper to bumper and also covers Control Arms and every component in the Hybrid System except for the battery.

Endurance wants 5 years / 54,000 miles for $3301.00 in 18 installment payments of $183.39 and a $200 discount on that price if I sign up today for their "Supreme" plan for used vehicles. They claim theirs is also bumper to bumper and is equal to the Lexus new car warranty "WORD FOR WORD" and also covers everything in the hybrid system except the battery. Both have a waiting period of 30 days or 1000 miles whichever comes first and $100 deductibles.

Last edited by payneiii; 02-26-15 at 05:45 AM.
Old 02-24-15, 07:42 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Remeber that the Lexus warranty covers the air suspension. You already have feel of how much this costs.
Old 02-25-15, 08:25 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by payneiii
Thanks for the great info, CRowe14. I sent John Desmet at the Merrillville Lexus Dealership an e-mail yesterday. He got back to me today and says he won't be back in until Thursday. I told him about my current situation and he said usually they like to do a 161 point inspection but in my case he pulled up the service history and was impressed. He then preceded to quote me prices on Lexus used car warranties. These are priced based on the fact my car has less than 100,000 miles and is less than nine years old:

Lexus Platinum

3 year / 36,000 miles @ $4,399.00, 4 year / 50,000 miles @ $4,999, and 5 year / 60,000 miles @ $5,299.00

Lexus Gold

3 year / 36,000 miles @ $3,199.00, 4 year / 50,000 miles @ $3,499, and 5 year / 60,000 miles @ $3,799.00

You have to pay full price up front or if you want to make payments, then it will cost you 10% down and an additional fee of $175.00 to $300.00 at the time of inception depending on the warranty you choose. You would then pay off the balance in 18 equal installments. The difference between the Lexus Platinum and Gold is that the Gold only covers about 80% of what the Platinum does. For instance, the Gold will not cover our Navigation system but the Platinum will.

In comparison, the Carchex wants 3 years / 30 months for $2365.77 in 24 installment payments of $98.58 monthly for their Titanium coverage, Plan 1. It's bumper to bumper and also covers Control Arms and every component in the Hybrid System except for the battery.

Endurance wants 5 years / 54,000 miles for $3301.00 in 18 installment payments of $183.39 and a $200 discount on that price if I sign up today for their "Supreme" plan for used vehicles. They claim theirs is also bumper to bumper and is equal to the Lexus new car warranty "WORD FOR WORD" and also covers everything in the hybrid system except the battery. Both have a waiting period of 30 days or 1000 miles whichever comes first and $100 deductibles.
Good day to you! Glad he finally got back to you. I was taken aback momentarily because the prices were so high, but I quickly realized that your car is newer as well as a 600. Interesting to see these quotes... What direction are you leaning towards? Im still on the fence myself about a warranty. When I purchased my 460, I purposely was seeking out a RWD with no A/S to try to alleviate any possible AWD issues and air strut repairs.
Based off of what hfahmy just satated, will Carchex or Endurance cover the air suspension, navi issues, or as Roadfrog just displayed yesterday, muffler replacement?
Anyways, let us know what you decide to do.
Old 02-25-15, 11:52 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Wow this is a lot of options...

Carchex - good reviews like I said, and I did research them thoroughly (yes they are not the administrator of their own warranties but doesn't necessarily mean it is a negative) in terms of coverage and backing what they claim they cover
Endurance - I honestly just have not heard much about Endurance to give any guidance, other than to say they offer a pretty compelling price/coverage. Don't fall for the limited-time-only thing as you can always pick up this service contract later on, they will just have different sales techniques...
Lexus - see if GOLD will cover the hybrid components, air suspension, control arms (the three most worrisome issues), I wouldn't worry about your navi failing as it is not a common issue. These prices are very likely negotiable with Lexus and the GOLD 5 yr 60,000 mile pricing is very close to what Endurance is offering you

Hope this helps a little
Old 02-26-15, 05:19 PM
payneiii
Driver School Candidate

John Desmet contacted me today and sent brochures detailing both Lexus used car Platinum and Gold packages. He looked up the payment plan rules and for the 5yr 60000 mile platinum coverage with 0 deductible it would be $5299 plus $205 minus $600 down for 18 months at $272 mo. Then for the gold coverage for 5yr 60000 mile 0 deductible it would be 3799 plus 205 fee divided by 18 mo at 194 mo . I'm gonna have to read these carefully to see what works for me. Decisions, decisions. I've attached them to this post for anyone interested.

I've also decided to keep the LS600hl and on Saturday morning will drive back to the dealer who sold it to me in Highland Park and let him replace the bad shock and buy me breakfast. It will give me a chance to see Michael Jordan's house again (the one he can't sell) and take some photos. If he lets me, I'm gonna turn a few corners in one of the Bentleys he has for sale while they fix my car. I'm pretty sure he won't replace the leaking drive axle boots and I just may have to pony up for those myself. Plus I sent them acknowledgement in writing to cancel the crappy third party warranty they gave me. I could take that paperwork and wipe my butt with it for all the good it serves.

On a side note, I used Lexol Cleaner and Protectant on my rear seats and I think it ruined the seats. Their are large light and dark patches all over the leather. Not happy with Lexol.... I ordered some Zaino 9 and 10 but will have to fix the spotting before I can use it.

I also received my fourth call from Lexus corporate in less than a week concerning what number Launch Edition I have. They called to let me know they are still on the case and are calling all and everyone to find out. It doesn't look like the VIN number is much help and they said they doubt the validity of the guy a couple of years back who says he verified his at number 12.

Who would have thought that my simple question to them a week ago would have them on the case this hard? I am thoroughly impressed now with their customer service. I have never experienced anything like it. Oh well. Back to the brochures..........
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LFS_VSA_Platinum_eBrochure.pdf (1.61 MB, 271 views)
File Type: pdf
LFS_VSA_Gold_eBrochure.pdf (1.40 MB, 238 views)

Last edited by payneiii; 02-26-15 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-26-15, 06:32 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Gold covers the most common issue which is control arms (That repair itself makes the gold 5/60 worth it). I assume Platinum covers the air suspension but can't validate whether the Gold covers this?

You need a plan that covers control arms, air suspension and some of the hybrid components. If the Gold does this, I would do that..
Old 02-26-15, 09:03 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

the CPO is really a miracle. 3/100k is just included. You can pay more to make it 5/125k but you have to buy it at the time of the sale - it can't be bought from a different dealer later on like with the Gold and Platinum plans. I am only going factory CPO next time again to avoid these aftermarket warranty issues I hear about.

Quick Reply: New 2008 LS600h l Launch Edition Owner...Uh Oh !!!