Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

New 2008 LS600h l Launch Edition Owner...Uh Oh !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 08:13 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ctatum7
Attached is a quote I received from the Lexus dealership on a Platium, Gold, Silver and Powertrain warranty.
I suggest that you grab a shot of bourbon and sit down before reading.
Cheaper than a brand new hybrid thingymajig, I suppose...
Old 02-20-15, 08:36 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i say go for it. i have already used like $5k (rear suspension & window motor)+water pump (I will find out how much it would have cost me today when i get the paperwork) and i've only had the car for 14 months...

may car is basically as loaded as yours, plus you have the hybrid system...worst case scenario you bought yourself some serious Peace of Mind. and those rates are simply a starting point and you may be able to have the dealer work a good rate for you.
Old 02-20-15, 08:43 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

$6700 for an extended warranty. Totally ridiculous. Every wonder why consumer advocates tell you never to purchase an extended warranty? Obviously, Lexus makes plenty of money selling warranties. It's a game and "savings" is really a scam. 5k for some rear suspension work and a water pump. Your being taken for a major ride.
Old 02-20-15, 09:04 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
$6700 for an extended warranty. Totally ridiculous. Every wonder why consumer advocates tell you never to purchase an extended warranty? Obviously, Lexus makes plenty of money selling warranties. It's a game and "savings" is really a scam. 5k for some rear suspension work and a water pump. Your being taken for a major ride.
we're all a little annoyed by your negative trolling Lavrishevo wait until you own a LS460 with air and you will find out what "some suspension work" is...

in my case, they were completely replaced to be precise, and that requires a couple days and removal of the entire rear interior. you know that airbag suspension isn't cheap for an LS430 much ls a LS460. I agree that $6700 is pretty nuts, i mean i got a deal at $2400 BUT i do NOT have a 600HL...I would still hope that you get the price below this number.

my rants over, carry on.

Last edited by peteybabes; 02-20-15 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-20-15, 12:41 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The quote in the PDF doesn't look to me like it's a Lexus Financial Services warranty. If you have a Lexus CPO or a Lexus Platinum warranty, those are underwritten by Lexus\Toyota Financial Services. It even says this all over the paperwork. This shows up in their computers with LexusCare coverage and has an end date for when the warranty expires.

This doesn't stop your Lexus dealer though from offering other types of warranties that aren't of the usual Lexus backed variety if your car isn't eligible. These other warranties will be underwritten by some other 3rd party and usually the giveaway is that a) It doesn't have Toyota Financial Services or Lexus logos anywhere on the sales document and b) it has lots of exclusions like not covering audio, speakers, navigation units, suspension or CV joints or boots.

In the PDF I can see in the Platinum exclusions that it lists specifically shock absorbers and CV joint boots are excluded from coverage. I also can't see anywhere that it covers audio and navigation, and it has no visible Lexus\Toyota branding anywhere. So this looks like a generic not so good warranty document to me with limited coverage at a very high price. If you really do want it though, ask your Service Advisor at the dealership what's involved in a warranty claim. He'll likely tell you how they have to have someone on site to authorize a repair first or they have to call a number or file some papers before it's authorized which is a PIA for them to deal with.

Last edited by wanderer99; 02-20-15 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-20-15, 12:51 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
we're all a little annoyed by your negative trolling Lavrishevo wait until you own a LS460 with air and you will find out what "some suspension work" is...

in my case, they were completely replaced to be precise, and that requires a couple days and removal of the entire rear interior. you know that airbag suspension isn't cheap for an LS430 much ls a LS460. I agree that $6700 his pretty nuts, i mean i got a deal at $2400 BUT i do NOT have a 600HL...I would still hope that you get the price below this number.

my rants over, carry on.
I personally don't see him as trolling at all. Lighten up, my friend and be open to all criticism and or praise.
Old 02-20-15, 01:38 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pamperme
I personally don't see him as trolling at all. Lighten up, my friend and be open to all criticism and or praise.
maybe i typed my response a little too quickly. lol
Old 02-20-15, 02:13 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

ctatum if I may, verify that this is genuine Lexus coverage (i.e. not some 3rd party), and also check with some other Lexus dealers for pricing. Likely you can negotiate with this current quote as well, btw
Old 02-20-15, 03:13 PM
ctatum7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This quote is for Lexus Platinum coverage from a local Lexus dealership. There is no way that I would consider paying that amount for a car warranty.
Old 02-20-15, 07:40 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
I agree that $6700 his pretty nuts, i mean i got a deal at $2400 BUT i do NOT have a 600HL...I would still hope that you get the price below this number.
My 4 extra years (taking the warranty to 8 years from new in-service date) and up to 100K mileage Platinum warranty on my 600 cost a little under $3K. That was for a car still under the original factory warranty though at the time. If I'd opted to only cover the car for 4 yrs extra and up to 75K miles the quote was for $2100.
Old 02-20-15, 08:21 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

maybe i typed my response a little too quickly. lo
Not at all.....I agree with you 100%

That said, I agree with him on the warranty thing. They're overpriced and seldom pay out....unless you insist on using Lexus' overpriced parts and labor costs as the basis of the value of a warranty.
Old 02-20-15, 08:46 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

My point is that you can purchase OEM parts and pay for labor alone. The cost savings is tremendous. It's mainly suspension and small issues. Service departments are just like the sales side. Who walks into a dealer and says sure I'll pay that sticker price.... I guess some people do. The reality is Lexus is making money off the warranties. If they were not then they would not sell them.

I looked into a 3rd party warranty through USAA for my LS when I got it. It was going to be $3600 for 2 years or 24k miles for their best warranty. Would have been a total waste of money.

Will you use that warranty?

Speaking of Consumer Reports, the magazine dug deep into the experience of extended auto warranty owners to reveal some surprising stats:

55% of people who bought an extended warranty never used it.
Of the 45% who did use it, on average, they spent more on the warranty than it paid for repairs.
Wow. Talk about a losing bet! Here's the thing though. If you don't buy a warranty, what do you do if you really couldn't come up with the money to pay for a repair?

Let me suggest this compromise: Instead of rolling the extended warranty into the financing of a car, be disciplined and put that same amount of money every month into a savings account. You would be better off that way, but again, it depends on your discipline to save the money *before* you need it.
http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clar...#__federated=1

As far as the trolling comment goes, to each their own. I suggest you look up the definition. Anyway, I do own the air suspension and new air-shocks on the 430 are very expensive as well. About $1200 each. That's why I purchaed a nice used set for like $450 vs throwing $3600 away two years ago and the used set still sits in my closet untouched. I was paranoid about the suspension when I purchased the car and it's been perfect for the last 2 years and 23k miles.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-20-15 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-22-15, 07:57 PM
payneiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomorrow I will call Stevinson Lexus of Lakewood and talk to Debbie King about an extended warranty. The one Jarm was offered of 3 years/ 36,000 miles at $4100.00 seems a little pricey but maybe Debbie King can cut me a better deal. I will also call Lexus of Merrilville and talk to John Desmet about a Lexus warranty. I don't see the logic in paying over a hundred and fifty dollars a month for a warranty. This vehicle is supposed to be too reliable to have to do that.

As for the Ls600h it's still in the shop but I was told the battery should come in tomorrow. That will make two weeks since they ordered it. I wonder if they had to get it from over seas. I also have to remember to ask them if they are only replacing the battery or the entire unit (including the $7,000.00 inverter) while it is still under factory warranty. As for the dealership in Highland Park, Illinois where I bought the car, the owner of the dealership wants me to let him fix the shock for free and he will buy me breakfast while I wait. He says he wants to make everything right, and he will even look into higher end extended warranties he regularly uses for the "higher end vehicles" he has on his lot. He says not to worry about the drive axel boots but I beg to differ.

Slightly off topic, does anyone know how to verify which Launch Edition LS600h L I have? I saw one guy on Youtube several years back who verified his at number 12, but he never said how he did it. I personally don't have a clue. Once again thanks for all of the input you guys have given. I will keep you informed on what happens next on this continuing saga of "As The Lexus Sits " !!!

Last edited by payneiii; 02-23-15 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-22-15, 09:03 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by payneiii
Slightly off topic, does anyone know how to verify which Launch Edition LS600h L I have? I saw one guy on Youtube several years back who verified his at number 12, but he never said how he did it. I personally don't have a clue. Once again thanks for all of the input you guys have given. I will keep you informed on what happens next on this continuing saga of "As The Lexus Sits " !!!
VIN plate on driver side door jamb? Or call Lexus Customer service ..I believe they can provide original build sheet . And wow, highland park!! I grew up on Ft Sheridan as an army brat back in the early 80s

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-23-15, 12:41 PM
payneiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I received a quote from Carchex. They want 3 years / 30 months for $2365.77 in 24 installment payments of $98.58 monthly for their Titanium coverage, Plan 1. It's bumper to bumper and also covers Control Arms and every component in the Hybrid System except for the battery. Twenty minutes later, a company named Endurance contacted me. They offer exclusionary contracts. They quoted me at 5 years / 54,000 miles for $3301.00 in 18 installment payments of $183.39 and a $200 discount on that price if I sign up today for their "Supreme" plan for used vehicles. They claim theirs is also bumper to bumper and is equal to the Lexus new car warranty "WORD FOR WORD" and also covers everything in the hybrid system. Both have a waiting period of 30 days or 1000 miles whichever comes first and $100 deductibles.

I also have left several messages for John Desmet of the Merrillville Lexus and have received no response. I have attached sample contracts from both third party warranties. What do you think ??

Last edited by payneiii; 02-23-15 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: New 2008 LS600h l Launch Edition Owner...Uh Oh !!!