Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

New 2008 LS600h l Launch Edition Owner...Uh Oh !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-15, 06:40 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by payneiii
Good morning Lexus Family. I am a new Lexus owner and glad to be here. I have always been a Cadillac man and always wanted a Lex but could never find the right LS460 with all the bells and whistles. But on January 31, 2015 I bought a 2008 LS 600h L in Highland Park, Illinois (2.5 hours away). It may have been a big mistake that I have until Tuesday to correct. Here's my story.

I looked on Auto Trader on January 26, 2015 and saw the 2008 Launch Edition 600 for $31,495 and 74,636 miles at MandiMotors though I don't know how to confirm which one of the 100 it is. I took the Vin number (JTHDU46FX85001095) and registered on LexusDrivers website. I saw 6 pages of service records and discovered that every single required maintenance up to 70,000 miles had been done at the Lexus dealer. This prompted me to go check it out.

I got there on January 31, 2015 and test drove it. It seemed as if a there was a noise coming from left driver's side suspension but the guy in charge of their service department, "Serge" told me that that is how All-Wheel Drive vehicles behave. I bit the bullet and bought it along with a 4 year/ 48,000 mile "bumper to bumper" warranty through Marathon Group for $2,360. The car had supposedly been inspected and serviced before I purchased it. I had to fill it up with gas myself and had to clean out glove box but the car looked great. There were a few areas of opportunity with the paint work and body but overall looks good. Photos are here :http://www.mandimotors.com/web/used/...nois/19234501/. I traded in my 2007 Cadillac DTS with 75.000 miles and $13,000 owed. They gave me $14,000 for the trade in and paid off my Cadillac loan and I gave them $2,500 cash down. I drove it home but wasn't impressed with the ride or noise level compared to the Caddy, but loved all the gadgets.

One week later on Saturday, February 7, 2015 while I was idling in a fast food drive thru the "Check Hybrid System" light came on. It said "Please Pull Over and Contact Dealer Immediately". Not good. So that Monday I took it to the Lexus Dealership here in Mishawaka, Indiana. I also asked them to upgrade the navigation since it had the original 2007-08 maps ($377.83) . I had the 75,000 service completed ($373.41) and asked them to look into the noise coming from the left driver's side. Uh Oh !!!! The Hybrid Batteries need replaced ($5,185.51) and the shock on the left side needs replaced ($1,648.52) along with both Drive Axel Boots ($1,057.32). My Marathon Warranty would not cover the shock or boots because they are "wear items". Fortunately the Factory Lexus 8 year/ 100,000 mile warranty hasn't quite expired and picks up the battery replacement. I asked the service rep (after doing some research) what all was being replaced ? He said he assumed it was the entire assembly but I know that can't be true because the inverter alone is a $8,000 part. He wasn't all that familiar with it because as far as he could remember they have only had one other Hybrid battery fail. He said the batteries will come with a 12 month/ unlimited mileage warranty and the Factory warranty on the Hybrid System should expire this Summer.

Now, the Lexus service rep suggested I contact MandiMotors and see if they would help with the bill since my car was in the shop with major bills less than 2 weeks after purchase and it was supposedly inspected and serviced before I bought it. I called them and after an hour long heated conversation, they decided to give me $1000 towards repair and that they had already replaced the right side shock on the vehicle. They said there is nothing wrong and the Lexus Dealership is not being totally honest with me. The owner of MandiMotors said quite frankly, he was surprised that was all they found wrong and didn't charge me about $8,000 in repairs. WHAT ?????!

He told me if I didn't like his offer for $1,000 then I could bring the car back and he would gladly sell it to someone else and I could get my old car back (http://www.mandimotors.com/web/used/...nois/19567337/). He said I should take the weekend and think about it and call him Monday with my decision. Question...what to do????? I imagine I would have to take out a loan to buy my old Caddy back. However, I am already into about $800 in service so far on the Lexus. This car is still at the Dealership waiting on the battery to arrive. I will have driven it 9 days and had it in the shop 8 days when Monday, February 16 hits. Should I:

1. Decide to keep the car and let another shop replace the shock and boots and accept the $1000 offer from MandiMotors towards repair? What about the soon expiring warranty on the Hybrid System? Obviously very costly if the inverter goes next and besides, do any after market warranties cover the Hybrid System at all? My current aftermarket warranty on the Lexus doesn't seem to cover much when you need it.

2. Take the Lex back and get my old car back. I know the cosmetic issues with my old Caddy (leaking oil, needs a new sunroof frame, etc...) and that's why I looked for something else.

3. Suggest to him that I drive back and return the Lexus, and choose something else from his lot. The Mercedes look hot but what about reliability issues in the 2008 S600 or S550 models? What about warranties?

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. I can't even focus and enjoy my Valentine's Day weekend with my girl properly cause I've got this on my mind. I'm not a rich man by any means. What to do, Lexus Fam ???
Have u tried calling Lexus HQ? With the cars meticulous service history, and many rare failures they just may take care of u.

Ur caddy looks like a nice car. Traditionally, thir reliability has been not good at all, but it sounds like urs has been fairly decent, considering the oil leak. Was it an actual leak or oil consumption?

Last edited by Pamperme; 02-15-15 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-15-15, 08:52 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Have u tried calling Lexus HQ? With the cars meticulous service history, and many rare failures they just may take care of u.
Worth a try but don't get your hopes up too high. On the other hand, I would definitely keep the car - you're getting a new battery and new front suspension. Ditch that extended warranty (you should have 30 days to turn it back in), and talk to the finance manager at a couple of local Lexus dealerships to see if you can get a Lexus used car platinum warranty. It may cost $3000-4000 for 3/36 but I think the peace of mind will be well worth it. Then drive one of the best cars in the world for the next 3 years!
Old 02-15-15, 12:49 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Worth a try but don't get your hopes up too high. On the other hand, I would definitely keep the car - you're getting a new battery and new front suspension. Ditch that extended warranty (you should have 30 days to turn it back in), and talk to the finance manager at a couple of local Lexus dealerships to see if you can get a Lexus used car platinum warranty. It may cost $3000-4000 for 3/36 but I think the peace of mind will be well worth it. Then drive one of the best cars in the world for the next 3 years!
I'd have to agree here...you got a pretty good deal on the LS600h (regardless of the issues) and, after all said and done, you'll have replaced quite a bit on this...so chances are high that the next several years will be trouble free...
Old 02-15-15, 02:27 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

I wondered what caused the hybrid system and the shocks to go bad? It only has 75,000 miles. That's still brand new for a Lexus.
Old 02-15-15, 04:13 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
I wondered what caused the hybrid system and the shocks to go bad? It only has 75,000 miles. That's still brand new for a Lexus.
Agreed on the hybrid system.

In principle, I also agree on the struts. However, the struts on the 600hL (always equipped with air suspension) are a known weak point, at least in the first few years of production (my '08 460L with air suspension needed a full set at less than 50k miles). I *think* this is the first time the LS with air suspension has this spring-shock-strut all-in-one assembly design (rather than separate air bags).

Same story applies to control arms (i.e., they shouldn't be going bad prematurely, but they have been).
Old 02-15-15, 07:44 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

As a 600 owner, I am scratching my head on the hybrid issue. As long as I have been on this forum, I have never seen a hybrid failure on this model. So I find it interesting that many folks are on the "avoid the hybrid maintenance drama" bandwagon. And air struts have had their rep too but the overwhelming majority of air suspension equipped car owners have never had an issue either. I speak to my tech regularly and he tells me he hardly sees an LS come in for air suspension issues. And on the other hybrid models, he told me that in many cases Lexus will do a goodwill for repairs if a car was out of warranty.

The comment of the guy saying "I'm surprised that's all they found" interesting. Wonder what he's really trying to say. I say stick with the Lexus because the odds of the batteries failing again is highly unlikely. The Lexus warranties cover the air suspension but unfortunately most of the third party companies don't. Historcially the Caddy has a bad rep. My Dad had a DTS..eventually gave up with all the oil leaks. The Lexus Trademotion website (Pembroke Pines), the invertor and hybrid battery runs about $11k for both..

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...D%20COMPONENTS

Good luck..but my vote is the 600.
Old 02-16-15, 03:32 AM
payneiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I knew this site was special when I joined. There are many excellent comments here. I will definitely ask the Lexus finance manager if I can get into a Lexus used car Platinum Warranty. They still have my car so they should be able to do a 160 point inspection and make a determination. If I can't get the warranty then I might just have to return the vehicle. I definitely need the hybrid system components and suspension items covered and the third party warranties I have looked into this weekend don't seem to go that route. Thanks again fam.
Old 02-16-15, 08:19 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I knew this site was special when I joined. There are many excellent comments here. I will definitely ask the Lexus finance manager if I can get into a Lexus used car Platinum Warranty. They still have my car so they should be able to do a 160 point inspection and make a determination. If I can't get the warranty then I might just have to return the vehicle. I definitely need the hybrid system components and suspension items covered and the third party warranties I have looked into this weekend don't seem to go that route. Thanks again fam.
Reach out to a member named jarm on these forums he is the one in Houston that got an extended Lexus 36/36 without having to go through that inspection/certification process.
Old 02-16-15, 09:52 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

I'm telling you, call Lexus corporate and emphasize the meticulous repair history. Once u get to the right person, I'm telling you, Lexus customer care is one of the best. Just call them and make your case.
Old 02-16-15, 12:00 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

payeniii:

Hello good Sir and welcome to the Lexus family! I am very, very sorry to hear about the issues you've seemed to encounter so early on in your ownership. I personally do not own a 600, but recently purchased a 460 L and I also reside in IN (NWI region). I would like to provide some very recent info regarding a Lexus warranty that I obtained just last week from Lexus of Merrillville.
Now granted, as someone stated, you do have a higher end vehicle, as you have the 600, so im not sure what the disparity would be price-wise, but if it offered to me, im sure it'd be offered to you, as your vehicle is a year newer, but more miles.
My 460-an 07, had 65k on the dash when I purchased it. The gentleman at Lexus provided me with the following quotes (before any bargaining took place).

Lexus Platinum:
2/24 - 2699
3/36 - 3399
4/50 - 3940
5-60 - 4199

Lexus Gold:
2/24 - 2499
3/23 - 2530
4/50 - 2899 (This is the one im looking at, will try to get it as close to 2500 as possible)
5/60 - 3199

The gentleman himself at the dealer told me that the Gold 4/50 was the best deal and that should take care of everything i'd pretty much ever need. He clearly stated they stand behind it and i'd have no worries.
I hope this helps, and of course, good luck!
Old 02-16-15, 02:35 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i got the lexus platinum warranty with 3yr/36K for $2400 and i have already had air suspension done and a window motor (about $5K worth or work) replaced for free.
Old 02-16-15, 02:40 PM
payneiii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CRowe14
payeniii:

Hello good Sir and welcome to the Lexus family! I am very, very sorry to hear about the issues you've seemed to encounter so early on in your ownership. I personally do not own a 600, but recently purchased a 460 L and I also reside in IN (NWI region). I would like to provide some very recent info regarding a Lexus warranty that I obtained just last week from Lexus of Merrillville.
Now granted, as someone stated, you do have a higher end vehicle, as you have the 600, so im not sure what the disparity would be price-wise, but if it offered to me, im sure it'd be offered to you, as your vehicle is a year newer, but more miles.
My 460-an 07, had 65k on the dash when I purchased it. The gentleman at Lexus provided me with the following quotes (before any bargaining took place).

Lexus Platinum:
2/24 - 2699
3/36 - 3399
4/50 - 3940
5-60 - 4199

Lexus Gold:
2/24 - 2499
3/23 - 2530
4/50 - 2899 (This is the one im looking at, will try to get it as close to 2500 as possible)
5/60 - 3199

The gentleman himself at the dealer told me that the Gold 4/50 was the best deal and that should take care of everything i'd pretty much ever need. He clearly stated they stand behind it and i'd have no worries.
I hope this helps, and of course, good luck!

I will look into this tomorrow when they open. I just got off the phone with Warranty Direct. They do not cover shocks because they are a wear and tear item and he says that after the initial 8 year/ 100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid system, no one in the industry will cover any components in the hybrid system because 8 years is about the average lifespan of some of the costlier components in the hybrid system. He said that my battery failing is not unusual as 8 years is approaching and not to be surprised when many, many more start failing within the next 2 years. He said that if anyone tells me they will cover the hybrid system or the shocks they are being untruthful.
Old 02-16-15, 03:21 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I will look into this tomorrow when they open. I just got off the phone with Warranty Direct. They do not cover shocks because they are a wear and tear item and he says that after the initial 8 year/ 100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid system, no one in the industry will cover any components in the hybrid system because 8 years is about the average lifespan of some of the costlier components in the hybrid system. He said that my battery failing is not unusual as 8 years is approaching and not to be surprised when many, many more start failing within the next 2 years. He said that if anyone tells me they will cover the hybrid system or the shocks they are being untruthful.
Lexus CPO warranty does not cover the hybrid battery but it covers all the other hybrid components including the inverter.
Old 02-16-15, 03:49 PM
payneiii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Lexus CPO warranty does not cover the hybrid battery but it covers all the other hybrid components including the inverter.

I thought that in order to be qualified as a Lexus CPO it cannot be older than 6 years or more than 70,000 miles on the odometer. I was told there would be no exceptions. Unfortunately mine does not qualify. Plus it wasn't purchased from a Lexus dealer.

Last edited by payneiii; 02-16-15 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-16-15, 03:49 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

I question that (see bold): http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...d-up/index.htm

Did u ever call Lexus corporate?

Quick Reply: New 2008 LS600h l Launch Edition Owner...Uh Oh !!!