Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

New 2008 LS600h l Launch Edition Owner...Uh Oh !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-15, 11:35 AM
payneiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2k
If i am not mistaken the only way you could get a lexus extended warranty at this stage is if can get a Lexus dealer to buy it and resale to you as a CPO. Maybe worth a few call around mostly if you can ditch your current warranty.

I guess that settles it. Unless I can find an aftermarket warranty fast that will cover ALL of the "big ticket" items in this 7.5 year old Hybrid System then it doesn't look good for my LS 600h and I will just have to return it. The Factory Warranty of 8 years/ 100,000 miles expires this summer and the only things in the hybrid system that will be covered after that are the new batteries for 12 months. I would have to cross my fingers and hope nothing happens for the next 6 years to the other hybrid components or else I will have to take out another loan just to pay for the expensive parts or repairs.
Old 02-14-15, 12:08 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Your purchasing a car that was $110,000 new. Of course it is going to be a little expensive to repair. If you are getting the new hybrid system I would keep it. The other repairs you can easily get the parts yourself and pay for labor alone. Ditch the warranty altogether. It's not worth it in the long run. Especially if Lexus will fix the batteries. Remember you can get OEM parts often 1/2 what the dealer quotes you and then you either negioate labor rates or find a good independent mechanic.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-14-15 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-14-15, 12:25 PM
payneiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Your purchasing a car that was $110,000 new. Of course it is going to be a little expensive to repair. If you are getting the new hybrid system I would keep it. The other repairs you can easily get the parts yourself and pay for labor alone. Ditch the warranty altogether. It's not worth it in the long run. Especially if Lexus will fix the batteries. Remember you can get OEM parts often 1/2 what the dealer quotes you and then you either negioate labor rates or find a good independent mechanic.

Makes sense. Except I'm not getting a new hybrid system. I'm getting new batteries only. The hybrid system is more than just the batteries. The other items, like the $8000 hybrid system inverter are not being replaced. There also is a lock out/ tag out in effect to keep us average guys from replacing parts in our hybrid system so even if I could find this part "used" for about $5000 I couldn't replace it myself. The warranty expires this summer on everything else in the hybrid system including the inverter. The batteries are only going to be warrantied for 12 more months meaning by March of 2016 nothing in my hybrid system will be under warranty and I will have 5 years left on my auto loan. I need to find a good aftermarket warranty that will cover "everything" in my hybrid system just like the factory warranty does. Monday I will ask the Lexus service rep if I can extend the Factory warranty on the hybrid system and if so, how much and for how long. It's the only factory warranty that still existed on this car when I bought it. I know the repairs are expensive but I don't want to be like a Mercedes or BMW fan boy who says" That's part of the Prestige of owning one. You should expect hefty repairs. It's part of the stigma. Just bend over and take it cause it's the right thing to do "

Last edited by payneiii; 02-14-15 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-14-15, 01:03 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Search the forum, someone was able to get 3/36 Lexus warranty from an out of town dealer for a 460 with 97k miles for ~$4k or so less than a week ago. You will pay more because this is a class 4 car, 460 is class 3.
Old 02-14-15, 02:13 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Hey paynelli, welcome to Club Lexus and very sorry to hear about your problems with the car. On one hand I am tempted to say stick with the car and with a new battery and control arms you will be good to go for quite some time.

However, I have never heard of a battery going on any Toyota product. So the fact that this has happened to you makes me think you may have bought the proverbial lemon.

It's a roll of the dice, but I think if it was me I might bail on this car and take the Caddy back. It's really a toss up for me.

If reliability is important to you, definitely stay away from a used MB unless you have a full bumper to bumper warranty for many years out.
Old 02-14-15, 02:53 PM
ctatum7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warranty Direct sales a warranty that will cover the hybrid system.

The local dealer offers me a 3/36 warranty for $4200. My car had 68k miles and I purchased it from an individual a few months ago. I decided against the warranty because it seemed like a bad investment for me. However, if I could not afford the cost of unexpected repairs, I would have purchased a warranty from the dealer.

Also, after having my car serviced at the Toyota shop, I received a call from their aftermarket warranty division and they offered me a bumper to bumper 4/48 warranty for the same price. A better deal but I passed on.

Last edited by ctatum7; 02-14-15 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-14-15, 03:40 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Well I read this thread thinking there was a golden apple at the end. So far, not so much.

I know absolutely nothing about the hybrid. But before I returned the car and got my caddy back, I'd do some real serious homework. First, if you are comfortable with your Lexus dealer, pay the $100 and have them give the car a complete front to back look over. Small change for peace of mind. Second, ask them if they offer the Lexus warranty. If so, consider dumping the other one in favor of the Lexus one. Third, find yourself a local mechanic who works on Toyota and Lexus. There have to be several good and reputable shops in your area. Google is your friend and you'll get more than enough feedback on each of these local shops. The $1000 you get back from the place you bought the car should easily cover the shock from the right mechanic. My son's 97 ES300 had front shock problems and the local mechanic did it for 1/3 of the cost Lexus quoted.

So, before you make a decision, do the research, make the calls, and then decide. I must say it's a really beautiful car.

Good luck!
Old 02-14-15, 04:55 PM
baam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a beautiful car but personally, I am very happy with the standard 460 and I wouldn't want to worry about all the hybrid stuff holding up post warranty. I guess I still don't really appreciate what the hybrid capability adds to the car, seems like a lot more complexity for a minimal return, IMHO. Unless you have a personal driver, what good are all those cool rear seat toys? If it were me, I would return the car and and look at something else, like that really nice 2012 LS460. They might cut you a really good deal to make up for all the problems you have experienced at their dealership.
Old 02-14-15, 04:56 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

You do have the air suspension. An air shock is expensive to replace new. You can also convert the whole suspension for about $1700. Or source a used one. Check eBay. If the car makes you uncomfortable then return it and find something else. Get a cpo 460. There are also many lovely 04 though 06 430's around too. 430's are more reliable anyway. Nobody worries about getting warranties with them. The low mileage 04 though 06's are the cream of the crop. Really unparalleled reliability and 1/2 the price on parts.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-14-15 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-14-15, 06:31 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Hey just to comment on the warranty bit, Warranty Direct is a pretty reputable aftermarket firm that covers a lot of the key components discussed; however a Lexus warranty is best as there is no question as to what it covers. As many mentioned, one of our members bought a 36m/36k genuine Lexus warranty for his 07 L460 with 96k miles for under $4k and, given you have a $110k car (when new), I wouldn't hesitate for that option. That way, things like air suspension among others are covered.

I would definitely keep this over the DTS, think it will be a much more enjoyable ride in the long run with little surprises...
Old 02-14-15, 07:21 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

See if you can return the car and get yourself a regular Ls 460.
Hybrids are fun and all for people who can spend money with no problems. It's a good conversation topic when times call for it. Nothing more, or less.
But as a used car, it barely makes any sense , doubt it ever did.
You sound like you need a realiable car for money you want to spend . I'm sorry but 600 is a high tech toy that demands high tech wallet when it asks for it.

Glad you didn't get a MB or a BM, but a 460L would probably do you better.

Expensive cars demand expensive repairs.
Old 02-14-15, 07:40 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I feel like there is a lot of misinformation being posted here and in other threads recently.

As far as the 600h being more expensive to maintain, I do not feel that is true. As I have stated before I know of 1 car that has had issues with the batteries. 1. And it is warrantied for 8yrs/80k miles. Any other issues would most likely be common to both the 460 and the 600h.

As far as the 430 it isn't even in the equation. It was a great car in its time, but it is outdated and realistically not considered by anyone shopping for a 460 never mind a 600h. It may have been years ago, but the cars are so different, its not even close. It has a tape deck. Really.

That said, feel free to disagree with me, but there are several members here who own the 600h and have had a 460 before that. They do not complain about issues with the 600h that the 460 hasn't experienced. If anything, Lexus goes the extra mile for 600h owners as it is the flagship. They have covered things in the 600 that were out of warranty.
Old 02-14-15, 07:52 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I'm other words, make sure to get a warranty when you buy a 460 or 600. Your going to need it.
Old 02-15-15, 01:04 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So the deville was quieter, rode better, and was more reliable than the 600???????? Wow.
Old 02-15-15, 03:30 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
So the deville was quieter, rode better, and was more reliable than the 600???????? Wow.
It's a much simpler car. Like a model T ford.

4.6 Northstar with 300HP. Good motor but had head gasket issues and oil leaks back in 90s
Not sure if thats fixed in later years . 4 speed auto. Regular struts all around, some had air shocks out back. And it's fwd.
a simple car by today's standards. Which might explain his shock at expensive repairs today's high tech cars require.

I still think 600 is an overkill for regular driving, unless your fixated on owning the best hybrid car.

I think a regular 460 with a Lexus extended warranty is the way to go.

Good luck.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: New 2008 LS600h l Launch Edition Owner...Uh Oh !!!