LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

blown driver door 6 x 9 mark levinson

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-15, 07:50 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=roadfrog;8910691]There's these guys that sell foam kits for our speakers (specifically for Lexus 6x9):

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/lexus-...edge-kits.html

Thanks for the link I don't believe I missed that thread. I just threw away old sub, =/
Or they will do it for you for 35 bucks with a one year warranty.

Also, there is thread you can refer to, where a repair was done to the spider: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post7742308

I would call Simply Speakers (at the link I provided) and ask them about voice coil

Thanks for the link, I don't believe I missed that one. Sucks I just tossed my old sub
Old 02-13-15, 12:17 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
There's these guys that sell foam kits for our speakers (specifically for Lexus 6x9):

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/lexus-...edge-kits.html

Or they will do it for you for 35 bucks with a one year warranty.
Thanks, good to know. I have a buzzing from my front passenger door but I think it's the door panel, not the speaker - will check out the condition of the foam surround.
Old 02-13-15, 06:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I have a buzzing from my front passenger door
What a coincidence! So do I. drives me crazy, especially when listening to AM sports talk radio. I don't really hear it in music as it's drowned out.
Old 02-17-15, 01:11 PM
Dalenolia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i read all yall replies and i tried to buy one from ebay that didnt work out so you saying there is no other way to replace with another ML 6x9 this is crazy but do anyone no if i can use a ML 6x9 out of another lexus model or it wont be the same specs and if not what is a good aftermarket to replace do i need to get an 8ohm 6x9 to match the ML im taking out. i dont really no to much about swapping speakers but i know 700 bucks just to much to pay for one speaker
Old 09-24-18, 09:50 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi Guys I have a 2014 and I think I have a blown speaker. I say “I think” because regular pop music sounds fine but when I play anything with bass it sounds like paper rattling from the passenger door and it is only coming from one location. I am assuming that means it is blown. If I opened up the door what would a blown speaker look like? Would it look like a blown sub where I can see separation?

I already saw the repair options you all mentioned above so I am going to look into that. I do have another question. I like some bass with my music. In high school I had two Polk 12’s but those days are long gone. I do want some bass but now I fear listening to rap or hip hop will blow another speaker with the existing set up. I keep the bass pretty much at the default mid level by the way. So here is my question, would adding a small, sealed 8 inch or 10 inch sub like a JLW6 be what I need? I don’t want to be “rattling trunks”, I want to have the ML sound like it should but for all types of music? I have seen some people with two 12’s in their LS. Does anyone have some stealthy looking enclosures?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also has anyone had terrible experiences with adding an additional sub to an ML? I had a kill switch in High school so I know that is an option also.
Old 09-24-18, 09:46 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

You should be able to confirm a speaker is damaged by listening to each speaker up close to identify which one. I'd also open the door just to verify that it's not something else rattling. If the speaker is torn, or the rubber surround is damaged, it can be repaired. But, it might be cheaper and easier to call around to local salvage yards to see if anybody has one with ML speakers to sell. If you go the repair route, I'd take it to a shop that does that sort of thing rather than doing it yourself--changing the density of the surround rubber will affect the sound.
Old 09-28-18, 05:17 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Yeah, the "Mark Levinson" system was made Harman (JBL). Probably subbed out to the lowest bidder in China now. Those speakers are worth about $50.00. Unfortunately, they are designed to match the rest of the system (efficiency, frequency response), so there's no real aftermarket alternative.

Edit: Added interesting (if sad) history on ML:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Le..._Audio_Systems
When I was younger (early 90's), I worked in sales on a mid to very high end Audio/Video store. I actually got to do a A/B test on a $12K set of speakers, with $7K monster cables (yes, Retail on these cables was $6,999) comparing amplifiers, One of the brands was a Mark Levinson and it was ultra high end back in those days, passing the $20K mark for standalone components. It was amazing, there was really a difference.

That was when Mark Levinson WAS Mark Levinson

Some things you never forget in life, That experience was one of them. It's why I have always been attracted to the LS series... Not as good as hearing the real thing but, for car audio, it's very impressive, VERY VERY impressive.
Old 09-28-18, 05:51 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

I never read up on Mark Levinson before. What a jack move his partner pulled on him. It is amazing he still works as a audio pioneer after getting hosed by his co-owners and not even being allowed to use his own name anymore. Some people would have just quit.
Old 10-11-18, 09:25 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

So I think I am going to try to repair the speaker before I replace it. Used ones on eBay are $125 right now.

I do have a question. I watched the repair video and the speakers being fixed are in pretty bad shape. The foam ring has basically deteriorated causing the speaker to perform poorly. My car is a 2014, if I open up the door and it is a case of the speaker parts simply separating I can just glue the two pieces back together correct? I don't need to have a new foam ring if the existing one is not breaking apart, right? Back in the day I had a Polk DB sub and it had no foam parts. When it separated after many years all I had to do was glue it back together and it worked for years after.

If I see it is just separated what type of glue or epoxy do I need to buy that is similar to what is sold in the kits?
Old 10-11-18, 06:41 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I would pull it out and see what you're dealing with before making any decisions. If it looks like minor damage I'm sure you could just glue with something. If it's major you might want to take it to somebody that specializes in this, or replace it entirely. As for glues--you're looking for as light weight as possible but flexible when dry. I wouldn't use an epoxy.
Old 10-11-18, 08:56 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

When my Mark Levinson subwoofer blew in my 2001 LS430, I used clear silicone gel to seal the separation around the speaker. It was pretty common for the subwoofer to fail. Turn the music down "Radio Raheem" My loud music days are over, however I did blast my music a little on summer vacation in my 2008 LS460. I did get a little nervous that I would have blown a speaker or the ML amp would overheat and fail.