LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cold start; lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 02:23 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Getting an opinion from someone as to whether your engine sounds normal may not be beneficial especially when they are basing their opinion on your description. Those kinds of descriptions are subjective.

A better way to determine if your engine sounds "normal" is to compare it with two or three other cars under similar circumstances. "Normal" is usually defined as typical of a large sample.

You might go to a dealer and ask them to let you make a comparison with three other cars of the same model/year.

An even better way would be to make a comparison of your car with three other cars, using a sound meter.

Your need to conduct your evaluation under similar conditions, like temperature and cold start.
Old 02-11-15, 06:08 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Getting an opinion from someone as to whether your engine sounds normal may not be beneficial especially when they are basing their opinion on your description. Those kinds of descriptions are subjective.

A better way to determine if your engine sounds "normal" is to compare it with two or three other cars under similar circumstances. "Normal" is usually defined as typical of a large sample.

You might go to a dealer and ask them to let you make a comparison with three other cars of the same model/year.

An even better way would be to make a comparison of your car with three other cars, using a sound meter.

Your need to conduct your evaluation under similar conditions, like temperature and cold start.

Thank you for your feedback, as always it much appreciated.

I would normally agree in completion with your statement, however I have to say that I feel as though the feedback I have received regarding this subject matter would be sufficient. It would be one thing if my noise was of a certain variation and wavered in sound, but it's very consistent. That followed by any others describing this very same sound and reporting it as something of a normalicy, not just from experience or reading, but from Lexus Master Techs as well as informed technical forums/websites, I tend to reason with these informed parties. Now, what I more than likely will do is allow Lexus to hear my concern, but I believe it will result in the same manner in which I have concluded as well as what quite a few others have surmised; the sound is a result of DI.
Again, informative information and advice and I thank you for it. It's always needed and appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-11-15, 06:45 PM
jmcraney

Here are some links to differing views on "direct injection noise":

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the...k-af482e3609f3

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...d-startup.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...e-in-idle.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...t-low-rpm.html
Old 02-20-17, 11:57 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 0133642
Is this the noise everyone was hearing? I uploaded a video of mine a few weeks ago, cold start, no A/C...
After listening to the video a few times, I have to say that its difficult for me to determine the actual noise level of the engine.
Was someone in the car revving the engine? I ask because it just seems really loud. Then the other noise that seemed to occur intermittently-the clatter that would appear then disappear, im not sure what that is either.
I'd have to say that my LS doesn't sound that way at all.
I mean, its audible when its running and standing outside of it, but it doesn't sound like someone has their foot on the accelerator. But again-it could just be the video magnifying the sound.
Old 02-21-17, 07:25 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 0133642
This sound only comes in cold weather during a cold start within a minute of starting the motor. The engine was not being revved, and just to be crystal clear once the engine starts to warm up the sound is gone and does not come back it is ONLY during warmup in cold temperature.

My purpose for bumping this oldie was to ask is this the diesel noise everyone speaks of?

Thanks guys.
Are you talking about the knocking sound? Unless I'm hearing things, it sounded like there was a knocking for a seconds then it would stop and come back again?
Old 02-21-17, 10:07 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

0133642, The noise in your video does not sound like it is internal engine noise. It sounds more like a belt tensioner hitting the stop, a loose torque converter bolt, or something rattling in response to the engine (like a heat shield). It is not a normal sound for the LS460. It also faded in and out, which makes it not likely to be something internal to the engine that is faulty (like piston slap or chain tensioner rattle, which begin upon cold start but fade away as the engine idles).
Old 02-21-17, 10:27 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Re the direct fuel injection noise, it's the only thing I don't like about the car. In fact it's down right irritating and I'm half deaf along with most other 75 years olds. Lexus could eliminate the noise from the interior I believe. My previous car was an '02 Mercedes CL500. You never heard the clatter inside. (Outside the car was another matter). Too bad Lexus doesn't follow suit. I wish I knew what MB does to eliminate the noise from the inside. If Lexus made this improvement on the LS, I'd be a buyer of a new LS.
Old 02-21-17, 01:26 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by jud149
Re the direct fuel injection noise, it's the only thing I don't like about the car. In fact it's down right irritating and I'm half deaf along with most other 75 years olds. Lexus could eliminate the noise from the interior I believe. My previous car was an '02 Mercedes CL500. You never heard the clatter inside. (Outside the car was another matter). Too bad Lexus doesn't follow suit. I wish I knew what MB does to eliminate the noise from the inside. If Lexus made this improvement on the LS, I'd be a buyer of a new LS.
​​​​​​​I'm actually shocked you can hear the direct injection from the inside of the car, I can't hear it at all. Nothing. I can hear it from the outside if I'm standing up front near the engine, but nothing from the inside.
Old 02-21-17, 05:58 PM
jud149
Advanced

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I'm actually shocked you can hear the direct injection from the inside of the car, I can't hear it at all. Nothing. I can hear it from the outside if I'm standing up front near the engine, but nothing from the inside.
I'd say your quite lucky. All the posts on this forum re this issue, not to mention this one, discuss the problem in detail.
Old 02-22-17, 11:25 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I have to agree with Doublebase almost entirely.
When I am in my car with the car running, the only time I can hear it is when its first started in the morning when the engine is cold. After it settles in/idles down, its goes incredibly quiet.
If I sit in silence, don't move around and really listen for it, I can hear it but it is very, very, VERY subtle.
Old 02-22-17, 11:49 AM
jud149
Advanced

Can others comment on this please. The clicking I get is very evident at idle and low speeds.

(KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YOU HAVE THE RADIO ON YOU MAY NOT HEAR IT)

Last edited by jud149; 02-22-17 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 12:15 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I have to agree with Doublebase almost entirely.
When I am in my car with the car running, the only time I can hear it is when its first started in the morning when the engine is cold. After it settles in/idles down, its goes incredibly quiet.
If I sit in silence, don't move around and really listen for it, I can hear it but it is very, very, VERY subtle.
This is my experience as well. Inside the car it's unnoticeable unless you really really try to hear it. Otherwise it's silent. Most people that sit in my car are always shocked that the car is even on.
Old 02-22-17, 12:41 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enoch861
This is my experience as well. Inside the car it's unnoticeable unless you really really try to hear it. Otherwise it's silent. Most people that sit in my car are always shocked that the car is even on.
^^^ Agreed.
Though the rate at which people are in my car is seldom, when someone is in the car and makes that comment, that comment is usually followed by how smooth and still quite the car is while in motion, and then become even more surprised when they find out how old the car is.
Old 02-23-17, 08:47 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by jud149
One of the most important characteristics of a "quiet car" is how well the cabin is separated from the outside noise. The LS460 and LS600s are exceptionally quiet cars and I am confident to say that their cabins are as quiet or quieter than any MB product. Many, but not all, of the earlier Lexus LS460 and LS600 models, especially the '07 thru '09s had a defect that caused the cabin isolation from outside noise to be very low. This has been discussed extensively in this forum. Repairing this defect is easy and inexpensive. You will probably not be able to get this repair done by a Lexus dealer.

Last edited by jmcraney; 02-23-17 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-23-17, 09:53 AM
jud149
Advanced

Originally Posted by jmcraney
One of the most important characteristics of a "quiet car" is how well the cabin is separated from the outside noise. The LS460 and LS600s are exceptionally quiet cars and I am confident to say that their cabins are as quiet or quieter than any MB product. Many, but not all, of the earlier Lexus LS460 and LS600 models, especially the '07 thru '09s had a defect that caused the cabin isolation from outside noise to be very low. This has been discussed extensively in this forum. Repairing this defect is easy and inexpensive. You will probably not be able to get this repair done by a Lexus dealer.
Thanks much for the comments. I've done a search of many threads here and can't seem to find the one re "repairing this defect" to which you make mention. I assume this would show how to seal the cabin from such noise. Can you help? In any event, it's apparent from the below thread and this one that some hear the ticking inside the cabin while others do not. I was going to take mine in but I'm almost certain of their response: "they all do it". I still might run it in but it's 45 mins. away. One thing's for sure, tho. If the radio is on, you probably aint gonna hear it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...le-remedy.html

Quick Reply: Cold start; lifter noise