LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Searched but still needs a few questions answered.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-15, 06:03 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Let's not make a big deal out of his words "Toyota Yacht." I believe he just means it is a LARGE car. And it is. I have a 1993 RX-7 and parks beside the LS. And the LS looks like a half an acre of car. In my mind, it is a yacht. And I love it for it.

Here's my opinion on the whole thing, but maybe I'm crazy. Seems like maybe Tee has the same opinion. If you think you want the L, you should get the L. Because the worst thing you can do (IMO) is pay $30k or so for a 460 and go for years wondering what the L would be like.

And, I don't jibe with the sentiment about, "how often will you ride in the back seat?" I HOPE I NEVER DO! Because I love driving the car, and don't trust anyone buy my father to drive it. Well, I let my sister drive it, and she did fine. But I want the mack-daddy back seat, because when I ride people in there, all I want to hear is "oooooh, aaaaaah, love that seat cooling, oooooh let me lay back, the seat vibration is the bomb, can we make ths trip longer?"

I have 3 sons and a Warden. So I could not get the Executive with the console. I have the next best thing. All the options in the thread that Tee linked, I have them. And I wounldn't want less.

I went and practiced the auto parking thing one day, and got pretty quick at it. My friends wanted to see it in action, and when I did it, it was quick and they were all floored because we put it in a tight space, and it parked evenly to both cars. I subsequently moved it to another spot with lots of space though. I didn't want the 600hL for a couple reasons, as mentioned above. 1) I didn't want AWD. Don't need it, and it makes more noise (even though that is minimal) and uses more fuel. It's very little use in the south-east. But if you want it, or live in the great white north, that's a different story. 2) The hybrid technology will be very expensive if it needs repair. And 3) the batteries may also be very expensive replace, but I think guys are finding ways around most of that expense.

Anyway, those are my opinions and thoughts. Probably different than most. But I was very lucky to find my 460L, with less than 14k miles!

Lastly, I want to mention. It's been 10 years since I was in design at Toyota, so maybe things have changed. But when I went to Toyota City (Nagoya area), the design engineers just sit at very long tables. And even shared phones. The Lexus guys sat at the same tables, just kind of down at the end of the tables in their own group. That being said, this car IS a Toyota. It does carry over many of the same components from other vehicles. Which is a good thing. It makes things more reliable and less expensive. But it does not drive like an Avalon. The Avalon is FWD. Avalon is a GREAT car, it was the first car I did the seats on.

Since I bought the LS, I have been trying to reach my Toyota-Japanese-Best-Friend. I just reached him this past week. He replied back. I have a bunch of questions to ask him, and hoping he will point me to the right engineer. I'm actually in Shanghai China as I type this.

So if you guys have some technical questions, I may be able to go right to the exact engineer. No gaurantee. Last time I checked, my buddy was not in the Lexus group, but they're like 30 feet away. And he knows them all (the design engineers anyway).
Old 02-07-15, 08:35 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
I had SWB and yes it is no slouch far as room in the rear but owning a LWB now the extra legroom is excellent! I also found the LWB rides better than the SWB, I say drive them both and go with the one that suits you best.
Couldn't of said it better as a previous SWB owner myself.
Old 02-10-15, 06:01 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wandl
I have a SWB with the Comfort Plus package (rear reclining seats etc) which my kids (7yo and 9yo) enjoy. LS460L's are just a little harder to find (and of course more $) which is why I got my SWB. I wouldn't rule it out as it does give an adult enough leg room (and width!) in the rear....

The one nice thing about a LS460L is the rear window sunshades though, for the kiddos...but I couldn't justify an extra $4k for that =)
Thanks for the input, but I agree, 4K for sunshades is a bit much! haha

Originally Posted by R Z
My SWB has plenty of room in the back. I finally ride in the back and I had all the leg room I could want.
That's good to hear, how tall are you?
Thanks

Originally Posted by Tee
I had SWB and yes it is no slouch far as room in the rear but owning a LWB now the extra legroom is excellent! I also found the LWB rides better than the SWB, I say drive them both and go with the one that suits you best.
Thanks for the advice, will definitely give them both a rise before I choose.

Originally Posted by Doublebase
My best advice to you is that if you think you'll be buying a "toyota yacht", then you might want to start looking elsewhere. Yes I do think that this car is very reliable, but it's pretty far away from a toyota. So if it does break, don't expect it to cost like a Toyota to fix. Open the hood of one of these things...there's nothing Toyota under there. And then drive it. I assure you this car is no Toyota Avalon.
You do realize if you open a hood of one of these things, all your looking at is an engine cover? I've worked on many cars before (most Jap. cars) with the most intensive being a transmission swap, I was only asking price for parts, not for the dealership to do it.

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Let's not make a big deal out of his words "Toyota Yacht." I believe he just means it is a LARGE car. And it is. I have a 1993 RX-7 and parks beside the LS. And the LS looks like a half an acre of car. In my mind, it is a yacht. And I love it for it.

Here's my opinion on the whole thing, but maybe I'm crazy. Seems like maybe Tee has the same opinion. If you think you want the L, you should get the L. Because the worst thing you can do (IMO) is pay $30k or so for a 460 and go for years wondering what the L would be like.

And, I don't jibe with the sentiment about, "how often will you ride in the back seat?" I HOPE I NEVER DO! Because I love driving the car, and don't trust anyone buy my father to drive it. Well, I let my sister drive it, and she did fine. But I want the mack-daddy back seat, because when I ride people in there, all I want to hear is "oooooh, aaaaaah, love that seat cooling, oooooh let me lay back, the seat vibration is the bomb, can we make ths trip longer?"

I have 3 sons and a Warden. So I could not get the Executive with the console. I have the next best thing. All the options in the thread that Tee linked, I have them. And I wounldn't want less.

I went and practiced the auto parking thing one day, and got pretty quick at it. My friends wanted to see it in action, and when I did it, it was quick and they were all floored because we put it in a tight space, and it parked evenly to both cars. I subsequently moved it to another spot with lots of space though. I didn't want the 600hL for a couple reasons, as mentioned above. 1) I didn't want AWD. Don't need it, and it makes more noise (even though that is minimal) and uses more fuel. It's very little use in the south-east. But if you want it, or live in the great white north, that's a different story. 2) The hybrid technology will be very expensive if it needs repair. And 3) the batteries may also be very expensive replace, but I think guys are finding ways around most of that expense.

Anyway, those are my opinions and thoughts. Probably different than most. But I was very lucky to find my 460L, with less than 14k miles!

Lastly, I want to mention. It's been 10 years since I was in design at Toyota, so maybe things have changed. But when I went to Toyota City (Nagoya area), the design engineers just sit at very long tables. And even shared phones. The Lexus guys sat at the same tables, just kind of down at the end of the tables in their own group. That being said, this car IS a Toyota. It does carry over many of the same components from other vehicles. Which is a good thing. It makes things more reliable and less expensive. But it does not drive like an Avalon. The Avalon is FWD. Avalon is a GREAT car, it was the first car I did the seats on.

Since I bought the LS, I have been trying to reach my Toyota-Japanese-Best-Friend. I just reached him this past week. He replied back. I have a bunch of questions to ask him, and hoping he will point me to the right engineer. I'm actually in Shanghai China as I type this.

So if you guys have some technical questions, I may be able to go right to the exact engineer. No gaurantee. Last time I checked, my buddy was not in the Lexus group, but they're like 30 feet away. And he knows them all (the design engineers anyway).
Lmao at the warden comment! Excellent input, I appreciate it. I've been basically studying his cheat sheet so I can hopefully get all the options as well! I agree with not wanting to sit in the rear seat, I want to hear the oohh ahhs and what not. Ironically, I sat in the back seat of my GS400 saturday night and thought to myself, man I wish I had the LS now so I could just recline.

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Couldn't of said it better as a previous SWB owner myself.
Thanks!

Last edited by luda42688; 02-10-15 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-10-15, 07:27 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you get any insight on the new LS for us?
Old 02-10-15, 07:34 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I am 6' tall!
Old 02-10-15, 07:19 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
Can you get any insight on the new LS for us?
New stuff ... no. Old stuff ... maybe.

7milesout
Old 02-11-15, 07:38 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New stuff ... no. Old stuff ... maybe.

7milesout
anyway that we can purchase the reclining LEFT seat from a UK Spec Executive Class car and make it work with our system to have dual reclining seats with massage and ottoman on both sides? (mini-maybach that's more reliable lol)
Old 02-11-15, 01:30 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
anyway that we can purchase the reclining LEFT seat from a UK Spec Executive Class car and make it work with our system to have dual reclining seats with massage and ottoman on both sides? (mini-maybach that's more reliable lol)
Definitely first world issues here