LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Searched but still needs a few questions answered.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 06:10 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Searched but still needs a few questions answered.

Hey guys, so I'm starting my search and expanding my knowledge on the 07-12 LS460 and have a few questions. 13'+ is to rich for my blood, I'm 26 with a mortgage and a wedding to pay for in September. Also, I'm in no rush to buy, but if the right deal were to come tomorrow, I'd jump all over it.

I'm interested in the LS460L, however some L models I look at online don't seem like they have the rear reclining seats or entertainment some other models have. I'm assuming you would need to purchase a certain package with the L but wasn't sure.

I would love a LS460L with the reclining rear seats but I don't want the stationary middle seat console, I would rather have that be a fold up where I can still fit 5 in the car. Do you know what I would need to look for in terms of packages?

I don't want 600, I like the looks of them but the battery technology is scary expensive. Are there any weak points on the LS that I should look for in terms of service prior to buying? I know with the 2nd gen GS4, key points are timing belt, ball joint, actuators etc etc.

Also, cost of repairs compared to German cars? I am assuming since this is just a Toyota yacht, that costs of repairs are significantly lower than that of MB, Audi, BMW etc.... Thoughts?

Thanks for the help and guidance!
Nick

Last edited by luda42688; 02-06-15 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-06-15, 07:12 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Out of curiosity, why the L "toyota yacht"? The Lexus LS460 SWB is plenty big for a 26 year old with a mortgage and a wedding to pay for. You can find an 07-12 in a variety of options and price points.

What price are you willing to pay?
Old 02-06-15, 07:33 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

lso, cost of repairs compared to German cars? I am assuming since this is just a Toyota yacht, that costs of repairs are significantly lower than that of MB, Audi, BMW etc.... Thoughts?
There are more than a few of us members here at CL that came from BMW, MB or Audi. Personally, I came from BMW's flagship 7 series. There is NO comparison between those and Lexus when it comes to cost of ownership. My BMW was a money pit and a nightmare. Did it drive nice? Absolutely......WHEN it was actually driving and not laid up with some problem or other. Also, the LS is easy to work on.....no witchcraft like the BMW (fibre optics, weird fasteners, unique parts, etc), and most of the parts on the Lex are shared with other platforms such as the Tundra, etc.
Old 02-06-15, 07:36 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a SWB with reclining seats, although does not recline as far as an L, it provides more than ample room.

With a new newborn baby, the middle console folds up for his car seat to be installed and there's still a lot of room when the wife needs to change him on her lap. Not saying your going to have a baby soon just putting space in the back into perspective, lol.

Once you get pass the beauty covers and realize it's still a Toyota, they're definitely not that bad to work.

Good luck with your search
Old 02-06-15, 07:41 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by R Z
Out of curiosity, why the L "toyota yacht"? The Lexus LS460 SWB is plenty big for a 26 year old with a mortgage and a wedding to pay for. You can find an 07-12 in a variety of options and price points.

What price are you willing to pay?
To be honest, I don't know?
I thought the L came with the rear reclining seats and I've read some have air ride. I'm guessing all L stands for is LWB and not actually the packages it comes standard with? I would rather not have the extra seven inches so thank you for pointing that out to me!

I had thought the L came standard with rear entertainment but after digging a bit, looks like I'm wrong lol.I'm looking to pay 30-35k lower is obviously better

Also didn't really mean to offend anyone by calling it a Toyota Yacht, just joking around.
Old 02-06-15, 07:41 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Review this thread from the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-and-vids.html
Old 02-06-15, 07:46 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roadfrog
There are more than a few of us members here at CL that came from BMW, MB or Audi. Personally, I came from BMW's flagship 7 series. There is NO comparison between those and Lexus when it comes to cost of ownership. My BMW was a money pit and a nightmare. Did it drive nice? Absolutely......WHEN it was actually driving and not laid up with some problem or other. Also, the LS is easy to work on.....no witchcraft like the BMW (fibre optics, weird fasteners, unique parts, etc), and most of the parts on the Lex are shared with other platforms such as the Tundra, etc.
Perfect! That's what I assumed but thank you for clarifying that with me!

Originally Posted by Dirteeboy
I have a SWB with reclining seats, although does not recline as far as an L, it provides more than ample room.

With a new newborn baby, the middle console folds up for his car seat to be installed and there's still a lot of room when the wife needs to change him on her lap. Not saying your going to have a baby soon just putting space in the back into perspective, lol.

Once you get pass the beauty covers and realize it's still a Toyota, they're definitely not that bad to work.

Good luck with your search
Great information, thank you for your input! hopefully that baby wont be coming for a few years but that's good to know as well!

Originally Posted by Tee
Review this thread from the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-and-vids.html
I can't believe I overlooked that, that's exactly what I was searching for but I guess the title mislead me

Thanks for the guidance!
Old 02-06-15, 07:52 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Very valid points R Z!

Luda:
Unless you are simply hard pressed to purchase an L, and that's just what you want, then by all means set your eyes on the prize. As a friend of mine simply states (fellow forum member Tee, and im absolutely sure he will chime in once he reads this thread) Get what you want, don't settle!
I just purchased a 460 L last week and I had my own reservations. I didn't want air suspension or AWD. Not that the LS is notorious for having issues with the drive train/awd system, or the AS, I just wanted to lessen any future maintenance bills that I felt I could eliminate as well as feature I felt I just didn't want/absolutely need. Just personal preference.
The 600 was simply out of my price range, although a great car. There are a few member here that own 600's, CJITTY and caha14 I know for sure, and they love their cars, but I believe both have warranties for all of the extra toys that come with the 600.
The option I believe you are seeking not to acquire-the trim that has the unmovable center console, is the Executive pckg. Anything, I believe with the comfort pckg and up will have reclining seats.
I personally purchased this car due to the fact that its a stunning vehicle, classy, unbelievably comfortable, reliable, timeless, unique and the repairs often times are DIY repairs (if you are inclined to do so and don't mind reading/asking/learning how to perform certain tasks) and doing it yourself. Not to mention, saving yourself money. From what I've learned, just from reading and interacting in this forum, the few things that do go arye, there are ways to obtain the parts for very low prices and you can, again, fix it yourself or find a trusted mechanic to do the labor.
My advice (and im seriously only trying to help) is to seriously, seriously, go through this forum...and read read, read! There is so much information here, its almost unreal! And you will find that when you have questions (because you will), then people here are very, very informative, polite and helpful.
Learn all you can, read, and ask questions! Its all about being as informed as possible.

Last edited by CRowe14; 02-06-15 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-06-15, 09:31 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a 2 year old and it's the main reason why I went from GS to LS. She has a lot more space now, when my wife sits behind me to keep her company I don't have to move up my seat, she is very comfortable. So everyone is happy.

As far as toys in. The back. Those are all great toys, but ask yourself, how often will you sit back there. And remember, kids love buttons, and they will be pressing them any chance they get.

The only thing I wish I had in the back is the rear sun shades For the doors.

Good luck. No such thing as a bad Ls
Old 02-06-15, 10:05 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Did you look at the FAQ sticky thread? Several links that describe model and option package differences
Old 02-06-15, 10:27 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Very valid points R Z!

Luda:
Unless you are simply hard pressed to purchase an L, and that's just what you want, then by all means set your eyes on the prize. As a friend of mine simply states (fellow forum member Tee, and im absolutely sure he will chime in once he reads this thread) Get what you want, don't settle!
I just purchased a 460 L last week and I had my own reservations. I didn't want air suspension or AWD. Not that the LS is notorious for having issues with the drive train/awd system, or the AS, I just wanted to lessen any future maintenance bills that I felt I could eliminate as well as feature I felt I just didn't want/absolutely need. Just personal preference.
The 600 was simply out of my price range, although a great car. There are a few member here that own 600's, CJITTY and caha14 I know for sure, and they love their cars, but I believe both have warranties for all of the extra toys that come with the 600.
The option I believe you are seeking not to acquire-the trim that has the unmovable center console, is the Executive pckg. Anything, I believe with the comfort pckg and up will have reclining seats.
I personally purchased this car due to the fact that its a stunning vehicle, classy, unbelievably comfortable, reliable, timeless, unique and the repairs often times are DIY repairs (if you are inclined to do so and don't mind reading/asking/learning how to perform certain tasks) and doing it yourself. Not to mention, saving yourself money. From what I've learned, just from reading and interacting in this forum, the few things that do go arye, there are ways to obtain the parts for very low prices and you can, again, fix it yourself or find a trusted mechanic to do the labor.
My advice (and im seriously only trying to help) is to seriously, seriously, go through this forum...and read read, read! There is so much information here, its almost unreal! And you will find that when you have questions (because you will), then people here are very, very informative, polite and helpful.
Learn all you can, read, and ask questions! Its all about being as informed as possible.

Excellent information, I appreciate your input! I'm the type to lurk forums before I purchase so I'll be in here a lot!

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
We have a 2 year old and it's the main reason why I went from GS to LS. She has a lot more space now, when my wife sits behind me to keep her company I don't have to move up my seat, she is very comfortable. So everyone is happy.

As far as toys in. The back. Those are all great toys, but ask yourself, how often will you sit back there. And remember, kids love buttons, and they will be pressing them any chance they get.

The only thing I wish I had in the back is the rear sun shades For the doors.

Good luck. No such thing as a bad Ls
Haha this is true! I have been sitting in the backseat of my car more often lately.

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Did you look at the FAQ sticky thread? Several links that describe model and option package differences
Yes, I looked at them before but over looked a few of them.
Old 02-06-15, 03:14 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a SWB with the Comfort Plus package (rear reclining seats etc) which my kids (7yo and 9yo) enjoy. LS460L's are just a little harder to find (and of course more $) which is why I got my SWB. I wouldn't rule it out as it does give an adult enough leg room (and width!) in the rear....

The one nice thing about a LS460L is the rear window sunshades though, for the kiddos...but I couldn't justify an extra $4k for that =)
Old 02-06-15, 05:35 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

My SWB has plenty of room in the back. I finally rode in the back and I had all the leg room I could want.

Last edited by R Z; 02-10-15 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-06-15, 07:41 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I had SWB and yes it is no slouch far as room in the rear but owning a LWB now the extra legroom is excellent! I also found the LWB rides better than the SWB, I say drive them both and go with the one that suits you best.
Old 02-07-15, 06:42 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

My best advice to you is that if you think you'll be buying a "toyota yacht", then you might want to start looking elsewhere. Yes I do think that this car is very reliable, but it's pretty far away from a toyota. So if it does break, don't expect it to cost like a Toyota to fix. Open the hood of one of these things...there's nothing Toyota under there. And then drive it. I assure you this car is no Toyota Avalon.

Quick Reply: Searched but still needs a few questions answered.