LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Starter replaced twice

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 02:45 PM
Malard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter replaced twice

'07 LS460 130K, started failed8/15 replaced w/ oRiley rebuilt total cost $700, that one failed 12/14, this time went to Lexus Dealer new bill $1700. Both times Battery us up (new) start switched checked out, anyone had issues?
Old 02-02-15, 02:52 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Just a general rule of thumb is to never buy a rebuilt starter or alternator as they tend to fail unpredictably and prematurely. It is perfectly fine and better to buy a low millage salvaged starter then a remanufactured.
The only exception is domestic cars like a GM, Ford or Chrysler remanufactured is perfectly fine.
Old 02-02-15, 03:45 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So the rebuilt and the new starter from lexus both failed? Or just the rebuilt?
Old 02-02-15, 05:26 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Denso rebuilt will be fine. They should be OEM. They are on the 400 & 430. It's not normal to go through two starters so quickly. On the other LS's they tend to last 150 - 250 thousand miles.
Old 02-03-15, 10:06 AM
njumongkol
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine went out at 80k. i just had my OEM rebuilt for $120 and changed it out myself. it wasn't that bad.
Old 02-03-15, 12:22 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by njumongkol
Mine went out at 80k. i just had my OEM rebuilt for $120 and changed it out myself. it wasn't that bad.
who rebuilt your starter? Denso?
Old 02-03-15, 12:37 PM
njumongkol
Rookie

Originally Posted by peteybabes
who rebuilt your starter? Denso?
No it was a local shop here in town called Automotive Rebuilt & Exchange.
Old 02-03-15, 12:45 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by njumongkol
Can you tell us the failure mode - brushes, bearing, relay? These cars start very quickly so I am surprised that the starters are failing.
Old 02-03-15, 12:49 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Can you tell us the failure mode - brushes, bearing, relay? These cars start very quickly so I am surprised that the starters are failing.
Great question jm..
Also, how common is it that these can be rebuilt for this car, and who would one contact to perform such a task?
Thanks!
Old 02-03-15, 11:56 PM
njumongkol
Rookie

Originally Posted by jmcraney
It was the solenoid from what the guy told me.
Old 02-09-15, 06:15 AM
Malard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Devh
Just a general rule of thumb is to never buy a rebuilt starter or alternator as they tend to fail unpredictably and prematurely. It is perfectly fine and better to buy a low millage salvaged starter then a remanufactured.
The only exception is domestic cars like a GM, Ford or Chrysler remanufactured is perfectly fine.
i don't get that, why would a rebuilt be good for ford or chevy and not your Lexus? Domestic's are not an exception they are rebuilt in the same way, their are just more of them!
Old 02-09-15, 06:18 AM
Malard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is150
So the rebuilt and the new starter from lexus both failed? Or just the rebuilt?
No, sorry, the one original failed at about 130k miles. Then put on Factory starter to replace it and it is good.
Old 02-09-15, 07:28 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Bottom line, starters, although not as prone to fail as much as they used to, still fail. And remanufactured staters will not last as long as originals.

Truthfully I haven't heard of many problems with LS starters, but yeah, they'll be some out there. Imagine luck plays a part in it, as well as the type of drive you do (stops and start ups, etc, if you work in sales and are always starting your car).
I probably start my car twice a day...once before my 42 mile commute....and once before my 42 mile trip home. Knock on wood I haven't had to replace mine.
Old 02-09-15, 10:20 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Bottom line, starters, although not as prone to fail as much as they used to, still fail. And remanufactured staters will not last as long as originals.

Truthfully I haven't heard of many problems with LS starters, but yeah, they'll be some out there. Imagine luck plays a part in it, as well as the type of drive you do (stops and start ups, etc, if you work in sales and are always starting your car).
I probably start my car twice a day...once before my 42 mile commute....and once before my 42 mile trip home. Knock on wood I haven't had to replace mine.
When a part is not as easy to access I will replace it with a proven factory part. This is where you shouldn't skimp out especially when there is a good bit of labor involved.
Old 02-09-15, 04:31 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
When a part is not as easy to access I will replace it with a proven factory part. This is where you shouldn't skimp out especially when there is a good bit of labor involved.
Yeah I agree - and I have no idea what's involved to replace the LS stater - but I've read it's a real pain. Something you don't want to do twice.

Quick Reply: Starter replaced twice