Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

ls600hl check engine light - P0549 and P1083

Old 01-28-15, 07:58 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default ls600hl check engine light - P0549 and P1083

Was cruising on the highway when the check engine light up. Scanned with a Techstream cable and got 2 codes: P0549 and P1083 (Engine and ETC). Just got a blown fuse yesterday, could it be related to a short ? Checked all fuses driver and passenger, didn't find another blown fuse (didn't checked in the trunk yet). Hope this don't result to an expensive visit to the dealer
Old 01-28-15, 08:05 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Seems to be related to the exhaust system (Hydro-Carbon Absorber and Catalyst System + Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor). I kept the car running in the garage while a was working on it and the exhaust was very close to the wall, could that trigger those codes ?
Old 01-28-15, 08:11 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Oh man..I don't have much to offer on this one but I am def subscribing to this thread ...hope it's minor or at least covered under a warranty
Old 01-28-15, 09:28 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Checked all fuse and none of them was blown... I'm running out of options, I'll call the dealer tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted on what they found.
Old 01-28-15, 09:58 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

P1083 - Lexus have a specific code for this and might only be related to the ls600hl - more precisely to the Hydro-Carbon Absorber and Catalyst System: http://engine-codes.com/p1083_lexus.html

Seems like the ls600hl use this system to achieve SULEV rating: http://articles.latimes.com/2007/may/09/autos/hy-neil9 (look for hydrocarbon absorber)

P0549 would be related to "Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High Bank 2"
Old 02-02-15, 10:32 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Just got a call from Lexus Dealer, P0549 is for one of the oxygen sensor (there is 4 of them) that need to be replaced, Part#: 89425-50040 - 1100$ for the part + labor = 1300$ for that little sucker.

P1083 seems to have disappear they say. Add to that a differential and transfer fluid change (plus 115$ to scan codes I already had) and I'm already over 2k. Hope I'll keep those little strolls at the dealer to a minimum.

EDIT: Name of the part would be more SENSOR, EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE

Last edited by Vansibel; 02-02-15 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-02-15, 11:34 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Took a look at this article: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...t-numbers.html

Look like for the ls 430 there is a oxygen sensor wire that is accessed through the passenger footwell. This is exactly where I put the ivic and a small computer as well. Is this design similar in the ls460 ? I might have disconnected a wire trying to push the unit too far...
Old 02-02-15, 12:26 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
Just got a call from Lexus Dealer, P0549 is for one of the oxygen sensor (there is 4 of them) that need to be replaced, Part#: 89425-50040 - 1100$ for the part + labor = 1300$ for that little sucker.

P1083 seems to have disappear they say. Add to that a differential and transfer fluid change (plus 115$ to scan codes I already had) and I'm already over 2k. Hope I'll keep those little strolls at the dealer to a minimum.

EDIT: Name of the part would be more SENSOR, EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE
You can get that part for $500 and some change. If you buy from the company store you will always think the prices are too high. The company store prices are there to make those that purchase extended warranties feel like they got their money's worth.
Old 02-02-15, 01:29 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Tech confirmed my theory, this part is only for hybrid Lexus so ls460 owner should not be worried. As for the price, I don't mind paying a bit more since the dealer work is guaranteed. If there is a problem with the repair I'm going directly to the dealer instead of dealing with some eBay guy. I wouldn't mind for more generic part but this one is too specialized.
Old 02-02-15, 02:45 PM
Devh
Racer

Tech confirmed my theory, this part is only for hybrid Lexus so ls460 owner should not be worried. As for the price, I don't mind paying a bit more since the dealer work is guaranteed. If there is a problem with the repair I'm going directly to the dealer instead of dealing with some eBay guy. I wouldn't mind for more generic part but this one is too specialized.
I believe $500 gets you a genuine factory part. It's plug and play and should not be too hard to access and install. How long will Lexus warranty the part after installation? Will you be covered three moths from now.

If I bought the part from my source I can still return it if it's defective. I have installed many 02 sensors and never once have I had any fail on me prematurely. I met an old lady that insisted that the dealer change her air filter because she believed the ridiculous cost they charge warrants the special skills they have in getting the job done right. Maybe she is right.

If paying more then double gives you peace of mind then "Salute, Don Corleone"
Old 02-02-15, 03:12 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Devh
I believe $500 gets you a genuine factory part. It's plug and play and should not be too hard to access and install. How long will Lexus warranty the part after installation? Will you be covered three moths from now.

If I bought the part from my source I can still return it if it's defective. I have installed many 02 sensors and never once have I had any fail on me prematurely. I met an old lady that insisted that the dealer change her air filter because she believed the ridiculous cost they charge warrants the special skills they have in getting the job done right. Maybe she is right.

If paying more then double gives you peace of mind then "Salute, Don Corleone"
Well for starter having a garage and the ability to lift the car would help (have a garage but the car barely fit)... I do know how to change the air and pollen filter and did install a few thing requiring removing the steering wheel and the radio unit. I'm not saying changing this part would be hard at all, but it's winter here... No way I'm gonna lift a wheel in the snow in my driveway to access the sensor under the car. 600$ (I checked price) + shipping + Canadian dollar conversion... not that far from the dealer quote.
Old 02-02-15, 04:05 PM
Devh
Racer

Well for starter having a garage and the ability to lift the car would help (have a garage but the car barely fit)... I do know how to change the air and pollen filter and did install a few thing requiring removing the steering wheel and the radio unit. I'm not saying changing this part would be hard at all, but it's winter here... No way I'm gonna lift a wheel in the snow in my driveway to access the sensor under the car. 600$ (I checked price) + shipping + Canadian dollar conversion... not that far from the dealer quote.
How about taking the reduced cost sourced sensor to an independent. There is some major savings to be had compared to the dealer.
Old 02-02-15, 04:20 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Devh
How about taking the reduced cost sourced sensor to an independent. There is some major savings to be had compared to the dealer.
I would absolutely take my business to an independent mechanic I trust over the dealer, I just haven't found one yet... And I don't feel like beta testing that car to random ones around my town. Anyone you recommend in the Montreal region (south shore the better) ?
Old 02-02-15, 05:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Here you go. You can order the OEM part and pay for labor only. Just goes to show how much your dealer is overcharging you on parts. Labor should be no more $120 an hour at your dealer. Don't be afraid to negotiate your discount. Dealers are all setup this way. Every department.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...rm=89425-50040

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-02-15 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-02-15, 05:20 PM
Devh
Racer

I would absolutely take my business to an independent mechanic I trust over the dealer, I just haven't found one yet... And I don't feel like beta testing that car to random ones around my town. Anyone you recommend in the Montreal region (south shore the better) ?
There maybe certain areas where I would go to the dealer in regard to specific issues that require Toyota service tools but for everything else any qualified mechanic worth his or her salt should be able to replace an 02 sensor. I would pick up the phone and start making phone calls to established independents. Cars are not proprietary, they are built with service in mind for independents. As far as trust goes, dealer mechanics do not have anything special over the quality of the work as it still a game of chance as to the quality of the repair.

Last edited by Devh; 02-02-15 at 08:41 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls600hl check engine light - P0549 and P1083