LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

another issue with the car... lemon possibly?

Old 01-23-15, 08:57 PM
Hermes16
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default another issue with the car... lemon possibly?

so as some of you guys know, i have been having issues with my car since i have bought it. the latest issues is "Check VSC" with the traction button, check engine light and warning triangle on. i tried using the search bar but only gave me limited outcomes. i just got the car out of the dealer about a week and half ago from a 3 day project fixing a compressor.

the questions i have are, is there a way to check any code with this vehicle? and are their any symptoms with knowing which part has failed? or if there is any way to reset the vehicle without bringing it to the dealer?

also i am curious on your guys expenses with the cars, as i accumulated over 3k of out of pocket expenses on this car since the day i bought it about 6-8 months ago. what do you guys spend on maintaining your cars?

thanks for all the help

Last edited by Hermes16; 01-23-15 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 09:16 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't think your issues warrant anywhere near lemon status.
You need an ODB2 code reader to find out what the issue is first before you can draw any conclusions.
If you want to clear the code then you can disconnect the batterys negative terminal for 30 seconds then reattach. There is a good possibility that it will come on again and you will have to have the code read.
Every car will one day have a check engine light and may need a sensor or component replacement but by no means is it a lemon. Find out what is wrong first and take it from there.
Sometimes bad batteries or alternator regulators can set off traction control warnings.
Old 01-24-15, 03:28 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Knock on wood, in the 10 months I've owned mine, I've only paid for oil changes. I have an extended warranty that I've yet to use. Although I will say that I am due for an oil change soon and I do have numerous issues to bring up at the dealer. How much they will cover remains to be seen but I have a right rear shock issue, dashboard pop, sunroof pop, and something else. I know it won't cover the annoying sound issues but we'll see if they budge on them.
Old 01-24-15, 05:22 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Lemon law re cars pertains to new, not used.
Old 01-24-15, 05:44 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You have to read the codes.
You can go to,autozone and have them get the codes for free.
Or to dealer pay$125 for diagnostics
Or get carista app. Read my review .

Also, free, you can clean the battery cables, take them off and re tighten them.
This will reset the lights for the time being.

Also if the batt terminals are dirty or loose, it can trigger vsc light.
Old 01-24-15, 06:10 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 351 Likes on 242 Posts

Sorry to hear you're having bad luck.

I've had mine for a year and I haven't had one single problem (knock on wood).
I drive 500-700 miles a week and it's got 89000 miles on it. I'm averaging 26.8 miles per gallon and I generally alternate between super and mid grade every other week.

I have done the oil changes, coolant flush, transmission service and rotations myself. That's all I have done to it. The car is an absolute beast - so far it has been as reliable as my honda accord - but you never know, something could happen that makes me change my opinion of it. What I'd like to do is get it to the point where it doesn't owe me anything...that will probably be 100k miles from now. I'm on my way.

Last edited by Doublebase; 01-24-15 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-24-15, 06:51 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

For your code, windows xp pc with a 60$ ebay bootleg techstream cable (same as the one toyota tech use). I heard they were made with a leaked alpha firmware version but I tried one of them and it worked fine. I don't see what could go wrong if you only plan to read/clear codes.
Old 01-24-15, 07:46 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

I think part of your problem is that you are taking the car to the dealer, which is why you have 3k out of pocket in expenses. Lexus will absolutely kill you at the dealer, but so would BMW, Mercedes, etc. Take it somewhere else - you're dealing with a check engine/check VSC - other places can fix that. Call around, you may be surprised what you hear.
Old 01-24-15, 11:01 AM
Hermes16
Driver

any recommendations for places around edmonton alberta? the places i have tried who did work on my 7 series do not even want to touch the car due to the electronics.

the main reason i choose total the vehicle to the dealership is because i want the work on my car done right, while some other shops like to take there sweet time while working with these cars. the car is a great car to drive, i must admit, i may try some of your guys suggestions and take the car to other parties instead of the dealer.

where does one plug in the OBD2 reader in these vehicles?

Last edited by Hermes16; 01-24-15 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-24-15, 11:54 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have the battery checked. This is a classic problem when the battery needs to be changed (old low voltage) Search ls460 vsc light on Google

Last edited by is150; 01-24-15 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-24-15, 06:38 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hermes16
any recommendations for places around edmonton alberta? the places i have tried who did work on my 7 series do not even want to touch the car due to the electronics.

the main reason i choose total the vehicle to the dealership is because i want the work on my car done right, while some other shops like to take there sweet time while working with these cars. the car is a great car to drive, i must admit, i may try some of your guys suggestions and take the car to other parties instead of the dealer.

where does one plug in the OBD2 reader in these vehicles?
The plug should be on the driver's side kick panel area (where your shins should be when you are driving). It's a black connector that is usually tucked away a little bit to keep it out of sight, but it's there.
Old 01-25-15, 09:33 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I think part of your problem is that you are taking the car to the dealer, which is why you have 3k out of pocket in expenses. Lexus will absolutely kill you at the dealer, but so would BMW, Mercedes, etc. Take it somewhere else - you're dealing with a check engine/check VSC - other places can fix that. Call around, you may be surprised what you hear.
U can still save at the dealer. Do u just pay whatever price they say, or do u negotiate, compare with Toyota prices and Sewell parts? My local dealer is very helpful and works with me very well in matching prices. I like the dealer because I feel they are generally the best qualified.

I would advise that u do ur homework before u go. Go to autozone to get the code and then google everything.

Last edited by Pamperme; 01-25-15 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-26-15, 01:48 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I also negotiate with my dealer for some of the work that I have done there. I basically get them to match or come close to the independent shops. I absolutely never pay walk up pricing.
Old 01-26-15, 03:47 PM
RA032023
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good info

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
You have to read the codes.
You can go to,autozone and have them get the codes for free.
Or to dealer pay$125 for diagnostics
Or get carista app. Read my review .

Also, free, you can clean the battery cables, take them off and re tighten them.
This will reset the lights for the time being.

Also if the batt terminals are dirty or loose, it can trigger vsc light.
Thanks for the carista reference! I have three Lexi right now and live 120 miles from a dealer. Looks like I can change auto-lock, etc with this tool??
Old 01-26-15, 08:38 PM
Hermes16
Driver

so an update on the VSC issue, turns out to be the exhaust, sensors and catalytic converters. they are replacing the whole exhaust for me through some emission warranty, if you are out of that warranty it would have been ridiculous pricing. they also found out that my drivers side wheel was unaligned by 68 degree's which doesn't make any sense because i put new tires on the car about 3000 miles ago so any ideas what that would be? ( they think its some type of bent control arm but the passenger tire is out 8 degrees, and i have never hit a pothole hard or scraped anything)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: another issue with the car... lemon possibly?