LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Control arms - dropped off at dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-15, 02:54 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice little car. 250 is a bit slow, but I bet 350 is a beast.
This one does quarter in 16.1 I believe, which is as slow as my 92 Lincoln. But in a real world I think it's more than enough.
And what do you know , it snowed a few inches today and I had to go to work for a few hours. Car took it like a champ. Awd drifts were fun as well.

I think the car looks better than the gs.

Navigation joystick is not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm glad too because next car for me will be a 13 LS in a few years.
Old 01-24-15, 07:18 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Wow really?, I had a loaner IS and couldn't wait to get my LS back because I thought there was a lot of road noise. Interesting take for sure..didn't see that coming
Uhhh...yeah...no kidding. My partner just bought an IS250 last month and it drives him crazy that my car is so much quieter than his, but he didn't want a big car, nor the cost of buying one .
Old 01-24-15, 07:28 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.germancarforum.com/thread...decibels.7297/

And if you look at these numbers, the LS is almost unrivaled for quietness (measured in db), at every speed that was tested...including idle. Very few cars came close.

But we digress..........
Old 01-24-15, 09:09 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
http://www.germancarforum.com/thread...decibels.7297/ And if you look at these numbers, the LS is almost unrivaled for quietness (measured in db), at every speed that was tested...including idle. Very few cars came close. But we digress..........
Nice find and thread, amazing how quiet the 460 is compared its competition.
Old 01-24-15, 11:14 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Wow really?, I had a loaner IS and couldn't wait to get my LS back because I thought there was a lot of road noise. Interesting take for sure..didn't see that coming
Well, I switched out the staggered 18" setup for a square 17" setup. Maybe with the standard wheels/tires, it would have been different.
Old 01-24-15, 03:03 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
http://www.germancarforum.com/thread...decibels.7297/

And if you look at these numbers, the LS is almost unrivaled for quietness (measured in db), at every speed that was tested...including idle. Very few cars came close.

But we digress..........
Great find.
Hybrids come close with their engine off.
The LS is so quiet that you can hear the tiny DI fuel pumps making contact with the camshaft lobe. When ever I turn the radio on at the lowest volume level to drown out that little bit of noise the cars engine sounds and road noise is pin drop silenced.
Old 01-25-15, 04:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

$5272 for control arms... Unbelievable. You would think you were serving a Bentley. Thank God the 430 is not like this. What was Lexus thinking.
Old 01-25-15, 05:42 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

[QUOTE=Lavrishevo;8883635]$5272 for control arms... Unbelievable. You would think you were serving a Bentley. Thank God the 430 is not like this. What was Lexus thinking.[/QUOTE

Lexus was thinking.
If people can pay for a bmw and Mb repairs , surely they can spend some n Lexus as well.

After all cars are not being made to last anymore. If they did, no one would buy new cars as often.

Be glad that out of all auto makers, Lexus is #1 for over two decades now in realibility.
Old 01-25-15, 06:33 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Thank God the 430 is not like this

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...#ixzz3PtGS4w3B
Indeed. If it was, I probably wouldn't be driving a 460 (or any Lexus for that matter) . The 430 is a wallflower in comparison. I'll take marginal sacrifices in reliability for a huge payoff in performance, looks, features and so on. But I guess I'm spoiled after owning a 7 series. So far I've spent zero dollars on my LS after a year of ownership and with an odo that is nearing 80k miles. AND...if I do have to replace my control arms, I'll be out about 400 bucks and a few hours of my time. There's no way I'm spending thousands of dollars on Lexus parts and labour for this job.
Old 01-25-15, 07:13 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

[QUOTE=tbilisi79;8883736]
Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
$5272 for control arms... Unbelievable. You would think you were serving a Bentley. Thank God the 430 is not like this. What was Lexus thinking.[/QUOTE

Lexus was thinking.
If people can pay for a bmw and Mb repairs , surely they can spend some n Lexus as well.
But that's what made Lexus, and particularly the LS, so special. It was the car that did luxury better than the Germans for less money while being far more reliable and cost effective to maintain.

Now the once proud benchmark is nothing more than a compromise car with dwindling sales. Lexus went away from the formula that made them successful, and it shows. The new S-Class leaves it in the dust, and cars like the Tesla and A8 are taking customers. If Lexus doesn't do something soon, the days of the LS might be numbered.
Old 01-25-15, 07:18 PM
Devh
Racer

[QUOTE=tbilisi79;8883736]
Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
$5272 for control arms... Unbelievable. You would think you were serving a Bentley. Thank God the 430 is not like this. What was Lexus thinking.[/QUOTE

Lexus was thinking.

After all cars are not being made to last anymore. If they did, no one would buy new cars as often.

Be glad that out of all auto makers, Lexus is #1 for over two decades now in realibility.
There is no conspiracy to have cars not last anymore. Go back 20 years and you will see cars were not anywhere near as a reliable and their service intervals were much shorter.
It use to be 100k on a car without a major repair was amazing but now it's almost the norm for most makes. Also because of technology in body integrity cars don't show their age as badly as they use to.
Control arms big deal. The engine, transmission and electronics are going to pull this stretch of car beyond the 430 and we have two examples we can draw from that have already gone the distance better then most 430s. The rest of the 460s have yet to prove themselves.
Old 01-25-15, 07:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=Bob04;8883875]
Originally Posted by tbilisi79

But that's what made Lexus, and particularly the LS, so special. It was the car that did luxury better than the Germans for less money while being far more reliable and cost effective to maintain.

Now the once proud benchmark is nothing more than a compromise car with dwindling sales. Lexus went away from the formula that made them successful, and it shows. The new S-Class leaves it in the dust, and cars like the Tesla and A8 are taking customers. If Lexus doesn't do something soon, the days of the LS might be numbered.
It still is less money and still far more reliable than MB BMW or Audi. I think the formula is just fine. Each of those examples you shared are far more costly to purchase and will also depreciate at a ridiculous rate. The LS is as close to, "wanting your cake and eating it too", as you're gonna get.

Last edited by roadfrog; 01-29-15 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-25-15, 07:24 PM
Devh
Racer

[QUOTE=Bob04;8883875]
Originally Posted by tbilisi79

When the LS 460 came out it was on top of it's game and now long in the tooth but that's not a bad thing. How many cars do we know that can have a successful ten year run and stay somewhat relevant. The only one that comes to mind is the NSX.
The LS 430 was short lived to make way for the LS460.
Old 01-29-15, 01:30 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Default Update

Well, six days after I dropped off the car, I finally get a call.
All of the control arms are being replaced. Warranty takes care of that.
Alignment is being done for $115. Down from 160.

Let's see how long it takes
Old 01-29-15, 06:19 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
When the LS 460 came out it was on top of it's game and now long in the tooth but that's not a bad thing. How many cars do we know that can have a successful ten year run and stay somewhat relevant. The only one that comes to mind is the NSX.
The LS 430 was short lived to make way for the LS460.
It's interesting that the first 3 generations of LS had 5-6 year lifecycles but we're looking at twice that for the LS460.

Quick Reply: Control arms - dropped off at dealer.