LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Carista App and settings.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-15, 01:08 AM
aaauae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I updated the carista app with the new version on the play store , it doesnt work any more , it shows me the engine temperature on the overheat alaram option , but doesnt show any codes or any Customization , though i got a new obd device , the device works fine with Torque app, shows real time data etc .. should i try with the old obd device i used to use .. or is it a problem in the beta version ?
Old 03-14-15, 05:59 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts
Default It only takes time

After several attempts I was able to make the changes. Part of the problem was I only had $10.50 left in our iTunes account and it would not let me buy the pro version even if I was not going to get charged. I went and bought a $15.00 iTunes gift card and redeemed it. After that when it said buy I said ok and it went right through. It would then allow me to save my changes. The other problem I had was the lack of knowledge using an iPad. Once it was explained to me how to log onto the OBDII device things moved along much smoother. I only changed 2 items. I turned off the DRL's and turned off the rear shade going down when I put it into reverse. Thanks to everyone that provided advice on how to get this done. I also checked the fault codes and reset them I only had 3 and 2 of them dealt with the solar sensors in dash and the other was when the positive battery terminal clamp that got replaced before we bought the car last year.

Dennis

Last edited by DJWLDW; 03-14-15 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-16-15, 02:01 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aaauae
I updated the carista app with the new version on the play store , it doesnt work any more , it shows me the engine temperature on the overheat alaram option , but doesnt show any codes or any Customization , though i got a new obd device , the device works fine with Torque app, shows real time data etc .. should i try with the old obd device i used to use .. or is it a problem in the beta version ?
Looks like you're talking about the Android version. Nowadays the market has been flooded with bad Bluetooth OBD devices that don't work for customizations. They'll work with other apps like Torque that only do standard OBD2 communication, but they do not support the advanced Lexus-specific communication that Carista does... These devices do NOT support the ELM327 v1.4 instruction set that Carista requires (even though their descriptions on amazon say they do). Please try with your old device and if it works fine, I'd recommend returning the new one.

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
After several attempts I was able to make the changes. Part of the problem was I only had $10.50 left in our iTunes account and it would not let me buy the pro version even if I was not going to get charged. I went and bought a $15.00 iTunes gift card and redeemed it. After that when it said buy I said ok and it went right through. It would then allow me to save my changes. The other problem I had was the lack of knowledge using an iPad. Once it was explained to me how to log onto the OBDII device things moved along much smoother. I only changed 2 items. I turned off the DRL's and turned off the rear shade going down when I put it into reverse. Thanks to everyone that provided advice on how to get this done. I also checked the fault codes and reset them I only had 3 and 2 of them dealt with the solar sensors in dash and the other was when the positive battery terminal clamp that got replaced before we bought the car last year.

Dennis
Sorry to hear about the trouble, but I'm glad it worked out in the end. The payments are managed entirely by Apple (including the beta stuff where you're not actually charged), so we have no visibility into how that stuff works. But yes, the procedure for the iOS app is to connect to the WiFi OBDII device's network first (like you would connect to any WiFi hotspot), then open Carista and use it, and when it comes time to make a payment, disconnect from the OBDII device so that you have a working internet connection, complete the "purchase", then re-connect to the OBDII device and make as many changes to your customizations as you want. The "purchase" thing is only a one-time deal when you make your first change.
Old 03-17-15, 08:56 PM
aaauae
Driver

Originally Posted by Carista
Looks like you're talking about the Android version. Nowadays the market has been flooded with bad Bluetooth OBD devices that don't work for customizations. They'll work with other apps like Torque that only do standard OBD2 communication, but they do not support the advanced Lexus-specific communication that Carista does... These devices do NOT support the ELM327 v1.4 instruction set that Carista requires (even though their descriptions on amazon say they do). Please try with your old device and if it works fine, I'd recommend returning the new one.
I tried again with the Old device i had from a friend it works perfectly fine . already Requested to return the New device . can you Suggest sellers or Website where i can buy a good Device to work with carista ?

also have you seen if any work around to make the fog lamps work without messing us with the wiring system . if it can be done with programming or something ?

Thanks
Old 03-18-15, 03:19 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by aaauae
I tried again with the Old device i had from a friend it works perfectly fine . already Requested to return the New device . can you Suggest sellers or Website where i can buy a good Device to work with carista ?

also have you seen if any work around to make the fog lamps work without messing us with the wiring system . if it can be done with programming or something ?

Thanks
We have a list of ELM327 devices on Amazon here: www.caristaapp.com/hardware/
But since they're offered by multiple sellers, we cannot guarantee that all of them work.

About the fog lights: what exactly do you want to achieve?
Old 03-18-15, 05:03 AM
aaauae
Driver

Originally Posted by Carista
We have a list of ELM327 devices on Amazon here: www.caristaapp.com/hardware/
But since they're offered by multiple sellers, we cannot guarantee that all of them work.

About the fog lights: what exactly do you want to achieve?
the fog lights don't work without Switching on the Headlights ... i want to be able to Use the fog lights independently without using the headlights .

Amazing App and Service by you guys Really appreciate it .
Old 03-19-15, 02:17 PM
yoshirocks
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I really want to try this app but I've been having terrible luck trying to find a device that works with the customization, I just received the 3rd one yesterday and keep getting the "OBD device is defective" message every time I try the customization, which indicates the device is not compatible. Does anyone have a link to one that will work and ships to Canada? I'm thinking of trying this one next (maybe I should try a Wi-fi one instead of bluetooth?):

RioRand(TM) Bluetooth Mini Small Interface OBD2 Scanner Adapter TORQUE ANDROID: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories RioRand(TM) Bluetooth Mini Small Interface OBD2 Scanner Adapter TORQUE ANDROID: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories

So far I've tried these:

Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool for Windows XP, Vista, Win7 and Android: Amazon.ca: Automotive Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool for Windows XP, Vista, Win7 and Android: Amazon.ca: Automotive

RioRand RD9 Android compatible bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner: Amazon.ca: Automotive RioRand RD9 Android compatible bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner: Amazon.ca: Automotive

Bluetoocth ELM327 OBD2 fault code scanner for Android Phone or table: Amazon.ca: Electronics Bluetoocth ELM327 OBD2 fault code scanner for Android Phone or table: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Last edited by yoshirocks; 03-19-15 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-19-15, 03:46 PM
Chuckwagon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yoshirocks
Does anyone have a link to one that will work and ships to Canada?
This is the one I purchased. Worked fine for me with a Nexus 7 on my '07 460L. But as I'm in the states, I don't know if there is an issue with shipping to Canada. Sorry.

Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive
Old 03-19-15, 04:29 PM
macjac69
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had this setup for several months using a Samsung GS5 and its worked flawlessly everytime, there was a glich where you had to exit out after evey setting change but that was remedied by a patch or update I think?
Old 03-19-15, 04:46 PM
macjac69
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer charged me $100 to turn off my DRL's in my IS-250 two years ago. I wanna go back there and crack him in the jaw... LOL... J/k.
Old 03-19-15, 07:49 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshirocks
I really want to try this app but I've been having terrible luck trying to find a device that works with the customization, I just received the 3rd one yesterday and keep getting the "OBD device is defective" message every time I try the customization, which indicates the device is not compatible. Does anyone have a link to one that will work and ships to Canada? I'm thinking of trying this one next (maybe I should try a Wi-fi one instead of bluetooth?):

RioRand(TM) Bluetooth Mini Small Interface OBD2 Scanner Adapter TORQUE ANDROID: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories

So far I've tried these:

Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool for Windows XP, Vista, Win7 and Android: Amazon.ca: Automotive

RioRand RD9 Android compatible bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner: Amazon.ca: Automotive

Bluetoocth ELM327 OBD2 fault code scanner for Android Phone or table: Amazon.ca: Electronics
I bought this one last year and has worked flawlessly. $8.99 and free shipping to Canada from China:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ELM327-Interface-V1-5-Bluetooth-OBD-II-OBD2Auto-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-/151611767707?hash=item234cc3fb9b&item=151611767707&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr
Old 03-21-15, 07:25 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Default Price Break

I see the official version has just been released. Will those who have been running the beta version for testing purposes get a price break from the $19.99 official price?

Dennis
Old 03-21-15, 08:01 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by macjac69
Dealer charged me $100 to turn off my DRL's in my IS-250 two years ago. I wanna go back there and crack him in the jaw... LOL... J/k.

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
I see the official version has just been released. Will those who have been running the beta version for testing purposes get a price break from the $19.99 official price?

Dennis
No, sorry, there's no discount. But at least you got to use it for free during the beta
The procedure is to delete the beta and then install the official version from the App Store.
Old 03-22-15, 07:31 AM
yoshirocks
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuckwagon
This is the one I purchased. Worked fine for me with a Nexus 7 on my '07 460L. But as I'm in the states, I don't know if there is an issue with shipping to Canada. Sorry.

Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive
Originally Posted by roadfrog
I bought this one last year and has worked flawlessly. $8.99 and free shipping to Canada from China:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ELM327-..._Tools&vxp=mtr
Thanks for the advice to both you! Unfortunately if I can't find an equivalent on amazon.ca I can't order it (I used to be able to though)

roadfrog: that ebay one looks pretty much identical to one of the ones I got from Amazon (
Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool for Windows XP, Vista, Win7 and Android: Amazon.ca: Automotive Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool for Windows XP, Vista, Win7 and Android: Amazon.ca: Automotive
), can I ask a favour? Can you take a quick picture of the electronics inside, I wonder if they have changed and that is why the new ones don't work? Here's mine:

Name:  IMAG0702_zps6oisut21.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  196.1 KB

Regardless I got one the ebay ones and I ordered a wifi one as well, hopefully I can get one to work lol

This is Lucky number 5:
Gadget Zone DBPOWER New Black WIFI ELM327 OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Multi Scanner with Switch: Amazon.ca: Automotive Gadget Zone DBPOWER New Black WIFI ELM327 OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Multi Scanner with Switch: Amazon.ca: Automotive
Old 01-09-16, 06:18 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

My sister just picked up a 2015 Toyota Highlander XLE and I know the Carista App will work on the Highlander. What I do not know is to what extent I can customize the Highlander like my LS? Any thoughts on what I can do on the Highlander the next time I go to Omaha?

Thanks

Dennis

Quick Reply: Carista App and settings.