LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Carista App and settings.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-15, 03:17 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We don't have enough experience with various WiFi ELM327 devices yet... but basically, all of them should work fine, as long as they're using an ELM327 v1.4 or newer (which ALL of the ones I've seen are)... and as long as they're not defective or anything. Also, if a device is compatible with any iOS device, it should be compatible with all iOS devices: iPhones, iPads, iPods, all generations. That said, the quality of those Chinese devices does not have a great reputation, so make sure you read reviews for specific products AND specific sellers.

vGate devices have been reliable in most cases (their Bluetooth versions anyway), but we recently had a couple cases where "vGate" branded devices used fake ELM327 v2.1 chips that don't work at all. So anyway, just read reviews. And I'd love to hear feedback about specific devices and/or sellers, so that we can recommend the good ones to our customers and this forum. Thanks!
Old 01-24-15, 04:50 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

I buy quite a bit of stuff on Amazon and Ebay. I decided I would purchase this item on Amazon. The first thing I really noticed, is that there's basically only 2 types/physical/etc. Basically, it looks like they are all manufactured by the same one or two factories, and they simply put different distributor's names on the devices.

So after looking at numerous reviews and determining that most of the negative reviews is usually about a feature that isn't there (Like an on/ioff switch), or software issues; (Which isn't really an issue for me being I would most likely only use this device with the carista software; and a few other complaints from people who are obvious idiots. (Sorry, had to say it); I decided on 2 (Names) for a lack of a better term.

USTEK and MOACC. I will probably order the MOACC tonight or tomorrow. The reason for either of these 2 is because they SPECIFICALLY MENTION ELM327 and address from questions the use with Iphones 4,5,6 and IPads. The final reason (For me personally), is I want an item that is "FULFILLED BY AMAZON". That means Amazon stocks the item and ships it. Which means I don't have to wait 2-3 weeks to get it; and if there's a problem, I am dealing directly with Amazon and not some company in China.

Anyway; that's my opinion and position on the matter. I'm not necessarily recommending or endorsing a particular item. And considering that these devices are less than $25, it's not a real big deal. After all, it's only money. LOL. I'll let you know what I think of it. Once I receive it, I'll try it with the Carista app on my Ipad Mini. Later.... Mike.....
Old 01-24-15, 08:55 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Both of my ELM devices were ordered out of China for under 6 bucks, and they both work as advertised. Lets face it though, for the price of a six pack of beer, you really don't risk much.
Old 01-25-15, 11:47 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

Chris

What kind of beer are you drinking for 6 bucks a 6 pack?

Dennis
Old 01-25-15, 07:16 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Chris

What kind of beer are you drinking for 6 bucks a 6 pack?

Dennis
American beer.....ie...weasel ****. Rolling Rock is 5.99 in WA. Not Canadian beer, but a heck of a lot cheaper and good enough for camping.
Old 01-26-15, 03:52 PM
RA032023
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default various models with one app?

Have an 03 SC, 07 ls460, and 10 Gx, is it usable with all?
Old 01-26-15, 04:00 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by davidsaxe
Have an 03 SC, 07 ls460, and 10 Gx, is it usable with all?
Yup, both Here's the list of Lexus models we support:

IS (2013+, except IS-F and IS-C)
RC (all)
ES (2007+)
GS (2013+)
LS (2007+)
RX (2010+)
GX (2010+)
LX (2009+)
NX (all)
CT (all)
HS (all)
LFA (not tested; if you have one, please contact us)

EDIT: by "both", I meant the latter two you listed. Didn't see the 03 SC there... that one is not supported.
Old 01-26-15, 08:24 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Any reason you don't support the 2G IS (or have you just not tested it)?
Old 01-27-15, 02:56 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Any reason you don't support the 2G IS (or have you just not tested it)?
It uses a different communication protocol that's not compatible with the standard ELM327 devices. That's also the reason why we don't support older generations of other models as well.
Old 01-29-15, 06:33 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Received my ELM327 today and have the updated carista software 1.004 (I think). I have a few issues. I replied to the original email, so hopefully I'll get a reply soon. But in case, the forum is sometimes faster. So I'll mention them here.

1. Once connected, which is fine, when I click on "Customization" or whatever, it takes about 4-5 minutes to collect all the data and get up to 100%. Not that big of a deal, just wondering if that's normal.
2. Big problem: Once the customization is 100% and it shows me all the settings, it's basically a screen of white lines. You can't read anything on the lines. "IF YOU TOUCH" one of the lines, it will say what it is; e.g. light, other, etc... then that sub menu opens and that menu is also pretty much just white lines. You can't read anything except the YES or NO, ON or OFF; unless you touch that item; then you know what the setting is that it's talking about.
3. One other thing that isn't too much of an issue, but a little confusion. USUALLY when something says "Ensure Ignition is On" (When it's gathering info); in the AUTO-WORLD, that means to make sure the car is running. Is that what Carista means by "Ensure Ignition is On". OR.... Do you simply want the "KEY ON" position, but don't actually START the car? I know it's just wording, but in the AUTOMOTIVE WORLD, it does mean 2 different things.

Finally; a question: In the email sent to those beta users, it says that even though you need to CLICK PURCHASE PRO, that it's free. However; when I do that on my Ipad Mini, it comes up saying the pro is: $19.99. Should I still CLICK OK, or is it going to charge me $19.99???

I am using an IPad Mini with Retina. IOS 8.x. I have a 2007 Lexus ES350. Connecting is fine; just the screen can't be read after the data is retrieved; unless you actually click the item. That's very frustrating.

Anyway; thanks for working on the Apple version. I've been beta testing a lot of technology from software to voip to hardware etc. for many years. I know it's a time consuming practice to get the app right. I appreciate you letting us try it and providing you feedback. Thanks. Mike.

P.S. For those who haven't gotten their WIFI ELM327 adapter yet, I got this one off of Amazon and it works great; and I received it in 3-4 days. Just search for "moacc elm327". It was $15 + $5.99 shipping. But it connects perfectly to my IPad.
Old 01-30-15, 01:31 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by christcorp
Received my ELM327 today and have the updated carista software 1.004 (I think). I have a few issues. I replied to the original email, so hopefully I'll get a reply soon. But in case, the forum is sometimes faster. So I'll mention them here.

1. Once connected, which is fine, when I click on "Customization" or whatever, it takes about 4-5 minutes to collect all the data and get up to 100%. Not that big of a deal, just wondering if that's normal.
2. Big problem: Once the customization is 100% and it shows me all the settings, it's basically a screen of white lines. You can't read anything on the lines. "IF YOU TOUCH" one of the lines, it will say what it is; e.g. light, other, etc... then that sub menu opens and that menu is also pretty much just white lines. You can't read anything except the YES or NO, ON or OFF; unless you touch that item; then you know what the setting is that it's talking about.
3. One other thing that isn't too much of an issue, but a little confusion. USUALLY when something says "Ensure Ignition is On" (When it's gathering info); in the AUTO-WORLD, that means to make sure the car is running. Is that what Carista means by "Ensure Ignition is On". OR.... Do you simply want the "KEY ON" position, but don't actually START the car? I know it's just wording, but in the AUTOMOTIVE WORLD, it does mean 2 different things.

Finally; a question: In the email sent to those beta users, it says that even though you need to CLICK PURCHASE PRO, that it's free. However; when I do that on my Ipad Mini, it comes up saying the pro is: $19.99. Should I still CLICK OK, or is it going to charge me $19.99???

I am using an IPad Mini with Retina. IOS 8.x. I have a 2007 Lexus ES350. Connecting is fine; just the screen can't be read after the data is retrieved; unless you actually click the item. That's very frustrating.

Anyway; thanks for working on the Apple version. I've been beta testing a lot of technology from software to voip to hardware etc. for many years. I know it's a time consuming practice to get the app right. I appreciate you letting us try it and providing you feedback. Thanks. Mike.

P.S. For those who haven't gotten their WIFI ELM327 adapter yet, I got this one off of Amazon and it works great; and I received it in 3-4 days. Just search for "moacc elm327". It was $15 + $5.99 shipping. But it connects perfectly to my IPad.
Those are good question and lots of users have them. So let me answer each:
1) Yes, it's normal for this version to take up to 5min to read customizations or Lexus-specific check faults. We're looking into ways of speeding up that process.
2) The "white stripes" issue on iPads is known and has already been fixed. The fix will be part of the next beta.
3) We mean that the ignition must be on, but the engine NOT running. I agree that the wording could be better... we'll think of something.
4) Yes, you have to click Buy, but you won't actually be charged. When you get to the white popup from Apple's in-app purchase system, there should be some text in it about how this is a beta and you won't be charged. Basically, purchases in beta apps are always free (in any app), so don't worry, you won't be charged.

Thanks for being a beta-tester and posting your feedback! This is very helpful to us
Old 02-11-15, 04:04 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

When I initially pressed "Buy PRO" in the main menu it did not give me a click button on the next screen. Went back and return to the screen and finally afternoon 3-4 attempts it showed the clickable buy.

Overall great experience! Used it to disable seat belt buzzer after it drove me crazy driving in the neighborhood
Old 02-15-15, 01:57 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

fyi, I got the BAFX device from Amazon - seemed to have the most consistent positive even though it's the most expensive. Newegg has it for $19 now (right after Amazon shipped mine) .
Old 03-03-15, 02:27 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Default Ordered MOACC WIFI ELM 327

Heading home next week from HI so I ordered a MOACC WIFI ELM 327 from Amazon today. It should be at the house when we get there. We ordered the DW a new 3rd Gen Ipad a couple of weeks ago to replace her older 2nd Gen so I sure hope it all works together. Looking forward to playing with it. It sounds like it is fairly easy to us, I hope so as I am not an apple person so I will rely on the DW who is the apple person in the family.

Dennis
Old 03-13-15, 12:22 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Default WiFi ELM 327 Help

Got home Wednesday from HI so I thought I would try the Carista App today with the WiFi ELM 327 that was waiting for me from Amazon. Plugged it into the OBDII port under the dash in the center. That lights flash and it goes to red. When I try to use the Carista app it says that the Carista requires a WiFi OBDII ELM 327 device. Cannot connect to your WiFi. I am using Linda's 2nd Gen iPad. Thoughts Please

Dennis

Quick Reply: Carista App and settings.