LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Carista App and settings.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 05:33 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Carista App and settings.

I wanted to change a few things myself and to do so I purchased Carista app. That followed with me purchasing a $23 adaptor/ Bluetooth device from amazon that Carista site recommends.

Once it arrived, I was eager to get things going, so I borrowed my friends Android tablet and went at it. I'm married to an Apple family for now so there were no options.
But there were plenty of options I was faced with using the Carista App.

I'm happy to report that I was able to disable the rear shade from going down in Reverse,
Was able to disable Day time running lights, which I'm still debating if it's a smart thing to do. Although I must say, any car and LS particularly looks weird going down the road with those lights on, resembling a 1976 Buick Century with headlights on at night, ever so misaligned .

Anyhow, sunshade off in reverse.
Daytime lights off.
Door locks on in drive or any setting
Auto lights on a bit faster.

The ONLY setting I could not change is the AUTO steering wheel off.

So $23 for the adaptor, $19.99 for the app. I think it is well wroth it.
Plus,Carista will come out with an apple app soon.

I'm happy

Dave
Old 01-21-15, 05:46 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
I wanted to change a few things myself and to do so I purchased Carista app. That followed with me purchasing a $23 adaptor/ Bluetooth device from amazon that Carista site recommends. Once it arrived, I was eager to get things going, so I borrowed my friends Android tablet and went at it. I'm married to an Apple family for now so there were no options. But there were plenty of options I was faced with using the Carista App. I'm happy to report that I was able to disable the rear shade from going down in Reverse, Was able to disable Day time running lights, which I'm still debating if it's a smart thing to do. Although I must say, any car and LS particularly looks weird going down the road with those lights on, resembling a 1976 Buick Century with headlights on at night, ever so misaligned . Anyhow, sunshade off in reverse. Daytime lights off. Door locks on in drive or any setting Auto lights on a bit faster. The ONLY setting I could not change is the AUTO steering wheel off. So $23 for the adaptor, $19.99 for the app. I think it is well wroth it. Plus,Carista will come out with an apple app soon. I'm happy Dave
Great feedback.
Old 01-23-15, 04:00 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Carissa app is now available for apple devices.
Shoot the company a request to try it out.

So far I loved it. $20 for adapter and 19.99 for app.

I got the sunshade and few other options tweaked.
Love it so far.
Old 01-23-15, 05:18 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

Maybe they will get on and let us know the apple version is now ready. I knew they working on it but keep waiting for them to announce it.

Dennis
Old 01-23-15, 05:58 PM
CJITTY

I have to admit.. One of the rare times I've seen an Android app appear before an iOS app. I'm considering doing this just to avoid lugging the laptop out to the car
Old 01-24-15, 02:15 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Thanks for your review, tbilisi79

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Maybe they will get on and let us know the apple version is now ready. I knew they working on it but keep waiting for them to announce it.
Yup, we just got it approved for beta-testing by Apple a few days ago and we've been sending out invites to whoever signed up here: http://www.caristaapp.com/ios/
(just sent out the last batch a few minutes ago)

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I have to admit.. One of the rare times I've seen an Android app appear before an iOS app. I'm considering doing this just to avoid lugging the laptop out to the car
Android's openness helps a lot in this case... because Bluetooth ELM327 devices have been available (at a very low cost) for much longer than WiFi ELM327 devices. Since Apple doesn't allow standard Bluetooth communication, pretty much all OBD2 apps started on Android, including Carista. Now that WiFi devices are more widely available and have come down in price, it makes sense for us to offer an iOS version as well. So that's the history
Old 01-24-15, 07:39 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

As the first CL member to use this app, I can tell you that almost a year later, it continues to work well, and does all it advertises. Best 30 bucks I've spent on a car. As I stated in my original review last year, my only regret is that I can't disable my DRL's. This is not the fault of Carista, but a root issue with Canadian vehicles, where DRL's are mandatory and cannot be disabled by the app, nor any dealer.

If you haven't jumped on this yet...get on it!!
Old 01-24-15, 07:52 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

I disabled my drls a few days ago. Still can not decide if I,should keep it off or on.
Car looks much better with them off. But a lot of times I have my little,daughter in the car, the safety issue comes into question.
I usually turn lights on myself if the day is rainy,
Old 01-24-15, 08:33 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
I disabled my drls a few days ago. Still can not decide if I,should keep it off or on.
Car looks much better with them off. But a lot of times I have my little,daughter in the car, the safety issue comes into question.
I usually turn lights on myself if the day is rainy,
Check Tee's Build Thread for the LED DRL mod..makes DRLs look 100% better
Old 01-24-15, 09:48 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Finally IOS app is almost ready, I signed up for updates etc.

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Check Tee's Build Thread for the LED DRL mod..makes DRLs look 100% better
The DIY thread for this mod is is here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...n-drl-diy.html

One of my favs, I hated the dingy halogen look.
Old 01-24-15, 09:53 AM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being I signed up to Beta-Test the Apple Carista App; I received the email this morning asking me to give it a try.

My only question for Carista is: Being the Apple version requires a wifi elm327 adapter instead of bluetooth, do you have any recommendations on which brand or model. (Like you had recommendations for the Bluetooth Android type). As soon as I figure out the best WIFI adapter, I'll download the Carista Ipad app and give it a try. I'm excited to see not only what I can do on my Lexus; but also on my 2008 Rav4.

Thanks Mike....
Old 01-24-15, 10:23 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Mike you beat me to it. I was hoping someone would list which adapter and where I can go to get it. Do I need to sign up on the DW ipad or can I sign up for the beta test here on my windows laptop?

Dennis
Old 01-24-15, 10:31 AM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Mike you beat me to it. I was hoping someone would list which adapter and where I can go to get it. Do I need to sign up on the DW ipad or can I sign up for the beta test here on my windows laptop?

Dennis
I'll definitely be buying the wifi elm327 from amazon. 2 reasons: 1) If there's a problem with the item being crap; Amazon has a return policy that's easier to work with than ebay and paypal. 2) I just happen to have a bunch of amazon gift cards my kids bought me for christmas that I haven't found anything to buy with yet.

I'm also thinking, if I remember correctly, that vgate was one of the Bluetooth models that was recommended. Being they also make a WIFI ELM 327 model, I'll probably go that direction if Carista doesn't reply back by tomorrow night.

Later.... Mike.....
Old 01-24-15, 11:36 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Thanks Mike I will take a look at the vgate WIFI ELM 327 version on Amazon

Dennis
Old 01-24-15, 11:46 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

I just checked out the vgate Wifi ELM 327 Adapters on Amazon. Not an apple person but I see there are 2 types. One looks like it only works on the i4 iPhone and one looks like it works on iPhones and iPad's. As we do not have iPhones I am guessing the one for iPhones and iPad's would work just fine with Linda's 2 Gen WIFI only iPad?

Dennis

Quick Reply: Carista App and settings.