Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Insane LS600h deal inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-15, 09:32 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I've driven CVT equipped vehicles twice and swore I'd bever own one. I hated how the transmission never provided any feedback and it was disconcerting. It always felt like it was in the wrong gear. Maybe they've improved them and maybe the LS is better, I don't know. My partner just finished shopping for an SUV for his parents and they ruled out all CVT equipped vehicles in their search, such as the Honda CRV, Subaru's and I believe the Mazda....for the same reasons I stated.
This is interesting. I've heard similar thoughts from folks.

My experience is limited to Lexus hybrids (LS and RX), and I would venture to guess that you may notice a difference. Design and implementation must be the difference: I've heard others complain about their older Subarus but like their new ones, I know someone with a Maxima who loves the CVT, etc. It's all anecdotal, of course, and I'm now intrigued enough to want to drive some of these other cars.

But I can truly say that getting into an RXh or LSh did not carry a big "shock" with it, at least for me, and I love the shorter response time when I'm passing on the 600 vs the 460.
Old 01-23-15, 10:16 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
This is interesting. You can definitely feel one or two slight "regime" changes as the car picks up speed. I can tell that there is no shifting in the conventional sense, but it doesn't feel particularly awkward. There's also what would be best described as slippage (it actually is!) as you maneuver at low speeds with the engine running, but it's minor.

I am no expert on CVT at all. My understanding (from here, actually) is that the transmission in the 600 is built like a brick sh-- house.

Now, imagine the 8-speed in dual-clutch configuration... This was on the table at one point, as I understand it, for the RC-F. Even though it did not happen, supposedly it shifts very quickly.
I too have never driven a 600 to judge but my experience with CVT on other cars was terrible and I think a lot of it is when the pulley is changing diameters holding the car at a particular RPM.
I don't think it even has anything to do with gears not being present because electric motor cars don't require gearing at all but yet can throw down a flat torque response as the rpms rises to build speed.

Maybe because the 600 has the ability to take advantage of the electric motor it can negate some of the awkwardness of the CVT.
A CVT on paper is superior to gears but the driving experience is terrible. Fortunately CVT as well as transmissions in general will be phased out once electric becomes mainstream.

In regard to SMT dual clutch transmissions they are superior to manual but they are problematic.
The only Toyota car apart from the LFA that had a real SMT was the MR2 Spyder and it was slow to up shift but downshifts are fast and fun. It's no wonder that the ISF went with a slush box.

Last edited by Devh; 01-23-15 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-23-15, 10:39 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I've driven both, the 600 and other considerably lower range CVT equipped vehicles, and I can say there is a huge difference in the feel. Whereas the 4-cyl cars they fee like a sponge, the 600 feels very refined and luxurious. I think a lot of it has to do with the amount of power and how quietly/effortlessly the car puts that power to the ground. The 600 felt like it was made for silent driving. Step on the gas and the car effortlessly rockets forward with barely any hint of noise. Do the same with the CT or a Sentra with a CVT and it sounds like you just unleashed a swarm of very angry bees...only then the car putzes along. So the combination of lack-luster acceleration combined with the annoying buzz makes for a quite unpleasant driving experience.

-Y
Old 01-23-15, 03:06 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by vinodc
hey Guys,

I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys regarding this particular car the OP listed.

Is there certain things I should look for? I know its been in an accident. I will speak to dealer to see if they have any more information regarding that.

I have a legitimate interest in the car. What concerns me is the condition of the car from the pictures. I'm sure a thorough detail can fix that, but still a concern. What would you think is a fair price?
I wouldn't buy this car if there was no full details about what happened in the accident and how it was fixed. Also, when I first looked at this car it was at the Lexus dealer owned by the same owner then it shifted misteriously to the BMW dealer. I suggest you ask why. Finally ask them to throw in an extended warranty at this price.

Edit: last thing, I suggest that you go look at the car before you buy it. I see that you are not local.

Last edited by hfahmy; 01-23-15 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 05:02 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
I wouldn't buy this car if there was no full details about what happened in the accident and how it was fixed. Also, when I first looked at this car it was at the Lexus dealer owned by the same owner then it shifted misteriously to the BMW dealer. I suggest you ask why. Finally ask them to throw in an extended warranty at this price.

Edit: last thing, I suggest that you go look at the car before you buy it. I see that you are not local.
Just so y'all know, the car is officially gone and picked up today (one of the sales folks called me...asked if I was interested in any other car.)

I am curious what the dealer gave as trade-in value and how the previous owner reacted....
Old 01-23-15, 05:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Those 'afraid' of CVT keep in mind Lexus uses eCVT which is not a conventional CVT like those found in Nissans. HSD or Lexus Hybrid Drive combines electric drive with a planetary gear set. Drives much nicer and thus far more reliable than conventional ones

Old 01-23-15, 05:55 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

For those who haven't driven a 600..make it a point this weekend or in the near future to drive one and drive it hard in sport mode with hybrid power mode switches selected...then come back to this thread and share your thoughts. If you didn't have plans this weekend.. Now ya do lol
Old 01-24-15, 08:14 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
For those who haven't driven a 600..make it a point this weekend or in the near future to drive one and drive it hard in sport mode with hybrid power mode switches selected...then come back to this thread and share your thoughts. If you didn't have plans this weekend.. Now ya do lol
Great...Now I gotta drive 150 miles to the closest one in the snow. Gonna be interesting explaining this one to the wife...."but baby CJITTY said I had to do it this weekend"

hahahah
Old 01-24-15, 08:24 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by greg3852

Great...Now I gotta drive 150 miles to the closest one in the snow. Gonna be interesting explaining this one to the wife...."but baby CJITTY said I had to do it this weekend"

hahahah
Lol..I did also say " or near future "..meaning Monday haha
Old 01-24-15, 08:30 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
Great...Now I gotta drive 150 miles to the closest one in the snow. Gonna be interesting explaining this one to the wife...."but baby CJITTY said I had to do it this weekend" hahahah
Really not a problem... CJITTY, rkinchar and hfahmy were all part of the explanation as I convinced my wife last summer that buying a 600 was a must. And I guess it worked: I got the car and also kept the wife (especially after she drove it)! LOL
Old 01-24-15, 08:46 AM
CJITTY

Really not a problem... CJITTY, rkinchar and hfahmy were all part of the explanation as I convinced my wife last summer that buying a 600 was a must. And I guess it worked: I got the car and also kept the wife (especially after she drove it)! LOL
Yup hahaha. #winning
Old 01-26-15, 06:39 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Glad I could help your cause, CAHA14! I'm still loving my LS600hL, and I'm one of those guys who is constantly looking for my next great car -- I honestly haven't found a single car I'd rather be driving than my 600hL, which is saying a lot for me! The only thing I can see myself doing is upgrading to a low-mileage 2010-2012 LS600 if one ever presents itself. I do still have a tiny bit of wind noise, even after the triangle fix...
Old 01-26-15, 08:41 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
Glad I could help your cause, CAHA14! I'm still loving my LS600hL, and I'm one of those guys who is constantly looking for my next great car -- I honestly haven't found a single car I'd rather be driving than my 600hL, which is saying a lot for me! The only thing I can see myself doing is upgrading to a low-mileage 2010-2012 LS600 if one ever presents itself. I do still have a tiny bit of wind noise, even after the triangle fix...
I literally chanced on this LS600h L (with 38k miles and I think all the options available like rear entertainment and exec seating). Isn't a "great deal: (slightly below NADA...just ever so slightly) but hard to find something like this with low mileage I'd presume.

http://www.texasautoonline.com/Used-...TX/vd/24601146

Out of my budget at this time
Dealer is asking $38,888 for it on a CL ad (which is how I found them), figure they have wiggle room if someone is actually interested.
Old 01-26-15, 11:39 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
I literally chanced on this LS600h L (with 38k miles and I think all the options available like rear entertainment and exec seating). Isn't a "great deal: (slightly below NADA...just ever so slightly) but hard to find something like this with low mileage I'd presume.

Dealer is asking $38,888 for it on a CL ad (which is how I found them), figure they have wiggle room if someone is actually interested.
That actually does seem to be a pretty good price for a low-mileage 600hL with the Executive Seating Package. Carfax appears clean (although not always reliable). Should make someone a pretty sweet deal!
Old 01-26-15, 01:58 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl

For the love of god please tell the dealer to put down the ArmorAll! Besides that, looks like it has every option including driver attention monitor which can be tough to find.

Quick Reply: Insane LS600h deal inside