LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus auction

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 08:41 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 1st CPO car I purchased was LS 430. Everything went fine until I got it home. I found that the tires were bald. So I called the dealer in Houston and told him. They told me they would get back to me. This went on for a couple of weeks. I got pissed off and sent the president of Lexus a certified mail letter, telling him what happened and if this CPO thing is so good why would they not replace the tires. The next day after delivery, I got a personal phone call from him. Surprise! Surprise! He told me to go get any tires I wanted and bring the receipt to the Lexus dealer (Westside Lexus) and they would refund my money. When I went in the turn the receipt back into the dealer, the salesman was at the door with the check, a free dinner to some nice restaurant, and a Lexus golf shirt. Someone got their *** chewed. It pays to go to the top. After that I always bought a Lexus except for the few Jags I owned.
Old 01-16-15, 08:50 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jarm
The 1st CPO car I purchased was LS 430. Everything went fine until I got it home. I found that the tires were bald. So I called the dealer in Houston and told him. They told me they would get back to me. This went on for a couple of weeks. I got pissed off and sent the president of Lexus a certified mail letter, telling him what happened and if this CPO thing is so good why would they not replace the tires. The next day after delivery, I got a personal phone call from him. Surprise! Surprise! He told me to go get any tires I wanted and bring the receipt to the Lexus dealer (Westside Lexus) and they would refund my money. When I went in the turn the receipt back into the dealer, the salesman was at the door with the check, a free dinner to some nice restaurant, and a Lexus golf shirt. Someone got their *** chewed. It pays to go to the top. After that I always bought a Lexus except for the few Jags I owned.
Good show...
Old 01-16-15, 08:56 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I just looked at offleaseonly site for the 15K miles LS 460 2013. It is the F sport edition. What is the difference between the F sport and a basic LS? I am sure the gas mileage sucks.
Old 01-16-15, 08:59 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not the case jarm...

The gas mileage won't change. All that changes are some interior appointments, the tuning of the suspension, and the addition of some insanely awesome Brembo brakes
Old 01-16-15, 09:18 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jud149
Be sure to check Carfax, etc., as mentioned above before purchse. Every one of their cars I checked had accident history.
There have been CPO cars that have accident history. There are also CPO cars that had accidents and no reported history. There are CPO cars that drive like utter crap and are overpriced.
At one time maybe fifteen years ago the certification process was the real deal where they would fail a number of examples and retain only the best ones with absolutely no accidents by running it though the ringer but now they don't. If Lexus did the actual CPO then it would hold more water but it's actually the franchise that does it under the Lexus name.

Having said that I bought my car from Offleaseonly and it had reported damage however it was minor. Offleaseonly doesn't hide anything and everything is up front. All of their cars are priced based on any reported damage.
The biggest loophole in the auction business is that some states like mine do not report accident damage no matter how bad unless it's totaled. Some states do but it also depends on the body shops that are not that reliable in reporting.

Dealers use the uncertainty of the Carfax reporting to their advantage to fool potential customers and this is where you can also use the reporting system with known damage to your advantage as well.
Wholesalers do not have the time to go over each car because they move cars in bulk but if you know what you are looking for you can get a real deal not a fake one at the dealership.
Cars that have low millage that has seen an accident will usually repaired to a very high standard and the methods used today are so good that you would be hard pressed to see that the car was damaged if the work was done right.

The reality is every car will encounter an accident and every car is gong to very on it's condition. If you want a deal it is up to you to do your due diligence and know what to look for otherwise it's better to buy new. Certified is just a name to keep people complacent and it's because of the gullibility of the customer searching for the holy grail of a clean Carfax, a person like me is able to get a great deal in a hole that is wide open.

Last edited by Devh; 01-16-15 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 09:36 AM
jud149
Advanced

Originally Posted by Devh
There have been CPO cars that have accident history. There are also CPO cars that had accidents and no reported history. There are CPO cars that drive like utter crap and are overpriced.
At one time maybe fifteen years ago the certification process was the real deal where they would fail a number of examples and retain only the best ones with absolutely no accidents by running it though the ringer but now they don't. If Lexus did the actual CPO then it would hold more water but it's actually the franchise that does it under the Lexus name.

Having said that I bought my car from Offleaseonly and it had reported damage however it was minor. Offleaseonly doesn't hide anything and everything is up front. All of their cars are priced based on any reported damage.
The biggest loophole in the auction business is that some states like mine do not report accident damage no matter how bad unless it's totaled. Some states do but it also depends on the body shops that are not that reliable in reporting.

Dealers use the uncertainty of the Carfax reporting to their advantage to fool potential customers and this is where you can also use the reporting system with known damage to your advantage as well.
Wholesalers do not have the time to go over each car because they move cars in bulk but if you know what you are looking for you can get a real deal not a fake one at the dealership.
Cars that have low millage that has seen an accident will usually repaired to a very high standard and the methods used today are so good that you would be hard pressed to see that the car was damaged if the work was done right.

The reality is every car will encounter an accident and every car is gong to very on it's condition. If you want a deal it is up to you to do your due diligence and know what to look for otherwise it's better to buy new. Certified is just a name to keep people complacent and it is because of gullibility of the customer searching for the holy grail of a clean Carfax, a person like me is able to get a great deal in a hole that is wide open.
Anything can happen when dealing with car dealers, new or used.
Old 01-16-15, 09:38 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Good and persistent negotiation was the key for me and all my purchases. I emailed my out of state dealer for about 30 days..daily emails. Got the price way down to the point it was within the trade in and private party value range..had them knock off another $600 for two one way airline tickets and bought a CPO car for the piece of mind warranty without really paying for that based on the numbers. It didn't hurt that I knew what they paid at Manheim auction for it lol. Knowledge is power. Over 2 years later..still all good bottom line. Agree with previous poster that there are a wide range of quality at auctions and many CPO cars come from Manheim along with other "highline" auto makers. And agree that CPO is a feel good type of thing because folks with CPOs have discovered issues after purchase that may have not met "certified criteria"..but, having CPO is good and worked out great for my current car
Knowing how much they paid is a powerful tool...haha...
But it is a lot of comprehensive research and reach-out because the most powerful weapon against dealers is your ability to walk away
Old 01-16-15, 09:44 AM
jud149
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wandl
But it is a lot of comprehensive research and reach-out because the most powerful weapon against dealers is your ability to walk away
Amen, brother...
Old 01-16-15, 10:03 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by jud149
Anything can happen when dealing with car dealers, new or used.
Anything and everything. This is why you need to judge each car individually. Although I can admit that there are some really bad examples from trades that are not CPOs.
The car industry wants their customers to believe in the consistency of a used car and they will market them as they do new cars which they are not.
Industry created tools like Kelly's blue book and other resources are just tipping more money in the dealers favor.
Old 01-16-15, 10:07 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh

The reality is every car will encounter an accident and every car is gong to very on it's condition. If you want a deal it is up to you to do your due diligence and know what to look for otherwise it's better to buy new. Certified is just a name to keep people complacent and it's because of the gullibility of the customer searching for the holy grail of a clean Carfax, a person like me is able to get a great deal in a hole that is wide open.
Agreed - I think the crux to this is carfax/autocheck is a guide, but not a definitive tell-all around accident history accuracy. A friend of mine has a 2011 honda accord that backed into a cement truck - his insurance company cut him a check and he had "a friend" repair the bumper/radiator/bits and this didn't show up on carfax of course. Have a mechanic do the pre-purchase inspection can usually lookout for telltale signs of body repair (sometimes looking at the paint can indicate this).

There are also legit body shops who do solid repairs on vehicles with today's technology, and some of the vehicles listed on Offleaseonly are pretty well priced given this consideration....if you're looking to keep this car for a few years then resell it, maybe this isn't the best option (you'll get less for resale/trade in because of an accident history) but if you plan to keep it for a long time, I wouldn't necessarily hesitate...

Auctions of course you can't pre-inspect but they do have some liability clauses for things like frame damage and such..
Old 01-16-15, 10:12 AM
Devh
Racer

Knowing how much a dealer has paid for a car when you ask for the invoice is the biggest car scam known to mankind. Why would any dealer want you to know the price they paid so you don't overpay. There is no law that obligates them to do that.
How much a dealer has actually paid for a car is information that not even the sales manager is privileged to know , that's why they create fake invoices for each car.
The scam is to make you think your a smart consumer that knows all of the angles and they will use a Judo approach that leads you to over paying.

Last edited by Devh; 01-16-15 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 10:51 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Amen..no question lol..but for the deal I got..had to do it haha
Old 01-16-15, 10:56 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

On a side note..my experience with carfax is that they often miss a lot of stuff. Auto check.com had way more data on cars I have purchased. Nothing to stop a purchase but more of the owner history and locations. One 600 I looked at before buying mine had a clean Carfax...the auto check report had two accidents reported. I called the Toyota dealer that was selling it..they didn't know about 2 accidents..yeah right. I called the Lexus dealer that originally delivered and serviced it..the car was "well known" to them and off the record they told me they couldn't certify it when offered to take it in on a trade because of shotty electrical repairs it had after one of the wrecks..dohh

Last edited by CJITTY; 01-16-15 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 08:01 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Whenever you buy a used vehicle you are taking a risk. Usually it's a good risk. Even if you do a carfax and the Lexus vin number history, as mentioned, things can fall between the cracks. I just found out something about my car. Completely clean information. Really good price. Nice trade in. Reputable Totota dealer. The other day I was washing it and noticed these "dings" all over the back passenger side door. Went to dent doctor. He said it wasn't dents. Also the back panel above the back bumper had bondo. There were little pits where the job wasn't done great. Took it to a friend who owns a body shop. He confirmed. Said it wasn't bad, but something happened. He's going to redo it for me. I called the Toyota dealer. They are paying half. I was kinda freaking out, but now I feel fine knowing it will be done right. The car drives and runs great. Moral of the story, you may never know what you are gonna get with a used car. I still wouldn't change a thing. Love my car.
Old 01-16-15, 09:14 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by R Z
Whenever you buy a used vehicle you are taking a risk. Usually it's a good risk. Even if you do a carfax and the Lexus vin number history, as mentioned, things can fall between the cracks. I just found out something about my car. Completely clean information. Really good price. Nice trade in. Reputable Totota dealer. The other day I was washing it and noticed these "dings" all over the back passenger side door. Went to dent doctor. He said it wasn't dents. Also the back panel above the back bumper had bondo. There were little pits where the job wasn't done great. Took it to a friend who owns a body shop. He confirmed. Said it wasn't bad, but something happened. He's going to redo it for me. I called the Toyota dealer. They are paying half. I was kinda freaking out, but now I feel fine knowing it will be done right. The car drives and runs great. Moral of the story, you may never know what you are gonna get with a used car. I still wouldn't change a thing. Love my car.
Cars get into accidents all the time. The most important thing is that the job was done correctly. Usually for newer cars they will invest a good deal of money to get the car to at least 95% of what it was. There are some people that get the repairs done off the books because they are worried about their insurance premiums and usually they will pay for substandard work to save money. I imagine that is probably what happened in your case.

Quick Reply: Lexus auction