LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus auction

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 04:09 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jarm
Does anyone know of a broker that could get me a 2013 LS at auction? Right now there are many being sold as lease trade ins.
Could you tell me the code for Mark Levinson System on the sale sicker?

Jarm
Www.Lex4Less.com and ask for Joe. Tell him Chris with the 600 sent ya. He deals nationwide and great guy. I'll be going to him again on my next purchase
Old 01-15-15, 04:46 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Also chk www.offleaseonly.com
Old 01-15-15, 06:31 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I have exactly the opposite experience buying an 08 LWD coming from this FL auction from a wholesaler. Sold it after 3 month losing $3k to get rid of it. While searching for better vehicle, came across a CPO in a trusted dealer here in Atlanta, called and got and appointment to go see it but an hour before this appointment I get a call saying we can't sell this car, has sludge in the engine, we will Wholesale it! Car goes to the FL auction and get sold to used car dealer, tracked it by the VIN number. So, never ever auction cars for me...

My 2 cents, if you are picky with your cars or if you are OCD buy your LS certified!

Last edited by hfahmy; 01-15-15 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-15-15, 06:47 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

At the risk of stating the obvious, vehicle quality at the auctions can vary quite drastically. It's all a function of market conditions and the other factors raised by earlier posters.

My 600 was traded-in at a used car store owned by the same people who own the Lexus dealership where the car was originally sold. It was posted for sale and then disappeared just as quickly, only to appear a few weeks later as CPO at a Lexus dealer in a different state, purchased by them at Manheim in NV. The car was in fantastic condition.

In contrast, in early 2011, when I was looking for my 460, I enlisted the help of a local broker. Week after week, the vehicles he would email me about were absolute and complete garbage. I could never figure out how anyone could get an LS460 and abuse it like that, but I digress... Eventually, I found my 460L on eBay at a dealership, bought it and called off the other part of the process. Of course, this was around the time of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, and with fewer new cars coming in, dealers were holding on to any semi-decent used inventory they could get their hands on.

I would think that with new car sales being what they are, chances of finding a decent vehicle at auction are better at the moment.

Last edited by caha14; 01-16-15 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-15-15, 07:46 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

An auctioned car is what it is so is a CPO car. I found several CPO cars that made me realize that CPO is just a name with some perks that will cost you so much more that you could buy a newer model car with lower millage that is still under the factory warranty as in my case. I'm still besides myself with the kind of deal I got from an auctioned car.

What is most important is finding a good example whether it's a CPO, auction or private party.
If you don't know what to look for and you want to be complacent on a certification that you believe to be some sort of good house keeping seal then you will be taken. Even if I were to buy a new car I would inspect it thoroughly because porters hit stuff and abuse cars on the lot all the time.
Old 01-16-15, 05:32 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by Devh
An auctioned car is what it is so is a CPO car. I found several CPO cars that made me realize that CPO is just a name with some perks that will cost you so much more that you could buy a newer model car with lower millage that is still under the factory warranty as in my case. I'm still besides myself with the kind of deal I got from an auctioned car.

What is most important is finding a good example whether it's a CPO, auction or private party.
If you don't know what to look for and you want to be complacent on a certification that you believe to be some sort of good house keeping seal then you will be taken. Even if I were to buy a new car I would inspect it thoroughly because porters hit stuff and abuse cars on the lot all the time.
Couldn't agree more and have expressed a similar opinion in the past, having seen some scary examples of CPO cars... A good used car is a good used car irrespective of where it comes from.

Separately, sleep deprivation is a tough thing. I had omitted an important detail, which I just fixed. My 600 was picked up at auction by the Lexus dealer. That was the whole point of my post (which I failed to make)
Old 01-16-15, 05:50 AM
CJITTY

Good and persistent negotiation was the key for me and all my purchases. I emailed my out of state dealer for about 30 days..daily emails. Got the price way down to the point it was within the trade in and private party value range..had them knock off another $600 for two one way airline tickets and bought a CPO car for the piece of mind warranty without really paying for that based on the numbers. It didn't hurt that I knew what they paid at Manheim auction for it lol. Knowledge is power. Over 2 years later..still all good bottom line. Agree with previous poster that there are a wide range of quality at auctions and many CPO cars come from Manheim along with other "highline" auto makers. And agree that CPO is a feel good type of thing because folks with CPOs have discovered issues after purchase that may have not met "certified criteria"..but, having CPO is good and worked out great for my current car

Last edited by CJITTY; 01-16-15 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 05:51 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
I checked out this place in West Palm prior to the purchase of my 460 and found why their cars are comparatively cheaper than other dealers. Everyone of the Carfaxes i checked, 15 or so, showed the respective car had accident history.

Last edited by jud149; 01-16-15 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 06:06 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by jud149

I checked out this place in West Palm prior to the purchase of my 460 and found why their cars are comparatively cheaper than other dealers. Everyone of the Carfaxes i checked, 15 or so, showed the respective car had accident history.
autocheck.com, carfax, my Lexus website service history combined with actual inspection service to get the best Intel you can on a used car..if there are issues you can deal with like a minor wreck, it could pay off in getting the price you want
Old 01-16-15, 08:19 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does CPO mean?
Old 01-16-15, 08:20 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What does CPO mean?
Certified Pre-Owned
Old 01-16-15, 08:23 AM
caha14
Racer

What does CPO mean?
Certified Pre-Owned.

It's a great way for dealerships to make $, and like others have said, to gain peace of mind when you buy a used car (given the extra warranty, and presumably fewer obvious issues if inspection and reconditioning are performed properly, which varies across dealerships).
Old 01-16-15, 08:24 AM
jud149
Advanced

What does CPO mean?
As stated above. Such designated Lexus cars can only be sold by a Lexus dealer. They must meet standards set by Lexus and go at a premium.
Old 01-16-15, 08:31 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok , I have been talking to www.offleaseonly.com already. They have purchased two 2013 ls 460 recently. They offered me some low trade in price for my LS.. MY LS is blk/blk with 93K miles and is pristine condition. Some people use a car up and throw it away and others take care of everything they own. They offered me 16K trade in and want 56K for their car. offleaseonly lady told me she would check if it has Mark Levinson Premium Sound in it. I have to have this In my future cars. I purchased my ls and it didn't have the ML. So I put a nice sound system in it. But I would rather not have to deal with it in the future. Because if you sell it, you have to leave all the expensive stuff you put in it. Or you can take It out. Offleaseonly picture don't look that great but the car has 15K miles on it. I guess I would have to see it first. Would you take it to a dealer and let them look at it to see if anything was wrong first?

Last edited by jarm; 01-16-15 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 08:36 AM
jud149
Advanced

Ok , I have been talking to www.offleaseonly.com already. They have purchased two 2013 ls 460 recently. They offered me some low trade in price for my LS.. MY LS is blk/blk with 93K miles and is pristine condition. Some people us a car up and throw it away and others take care of everything they own. They offered me 16K trade in and want 56K for their car. offleaseonly lady told me she would check if it has Mark Levinson Premium Sound in it. I have to have this In my future cars. I purchased my ls and it didn't have the ML. So I put a nice sound system in it. But I would rather not have to deal with it in the future. Because if you sell it, you have to leave all the expensive stuff you put in it. Or you can take It out. Offleaseonly picture don't look that great but the car has 15K miles on it. I guess I would have to see it first. Would you take it to a dealer and let them look at it to see if anything was wrong first?
Be sure to check Carfax, etc., as mentioned above before purchse. Every one of their cars I checked had accident history.

Quick Reply: Lexus auction