LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Need your advice after accident!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 05:40 PM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need your advice after accident!

Just when I thought I was going to keep my 2008 LS 460 forever, a lady runs a red light and rips my front bumper off. I am so lucky she didn't T-Bone me as I would be history since she was going 50 mph or more. I started researching T-Bone accidents and read that 50-60% of T-bone accidents are fatal.

After thinking about what could have happened, I am thinking about trading in my LS once it gets fixed and getting a full sized SUV to protect myself from idiot drivers out there. Am I being irrational? Will this feeling pass soon? Would a large SUV really save you in a bad T-Bone accident?
Old 01-12-15, 05:55 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I think at 50mph almost any vehicle you're in would not fare well in that scenario...I'd like to say in a higher vehicle (ie SUV) there is a higher propensity of a rollover?

I feel comfortable knowing the heavy LS doors and the side airbags. That said I have never been in an accident like yours so take my confidence with a heavy dose of salt...

Glad you are ok and, in a world of careless drivers, we need to be best prepared as possible...
Old 01-12-15, 06:03 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Yes, glad you are OK!

I guess in some circumstances a big SUV may offer some more protection, especially from small vehicles. However, as Wandl said, they are more prone to rollover, and you are better protected being surrounded by airbags. Although I'm sure some SUV's have as many an LS.

That being said, investigate the alternatives and do what you feel is best. If you do choose something else, I would be curious what it is.
Old 01-12-15, 06:28 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Being T-boned is the Achilles heel of most automobiles. Some cars are better then other however SUVs are not as safe as people think. Rollovers are a problem but what makes SUVs far more dangerous then an automobile is the lack of controlled deceleration if you get hit from the front or the rear. Another big problem with SUVs is that they are not stable when they unsettle during an accident maneuver.
Old 01-12-15, 07:04 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

On a lighter note, when your body shop fixes your LS, make sure they replace your control arms......hehe
Old 01-12-15, 07:05 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Glad u are ok. We live in a world of imbecile drivers. Too busy trying to mess with their phone while driving. Being defensive is all we can do and even that can't guarantee you'll make it home.

Unless you have this urge to drive an SUV, don't compromise your life based on an idiot. Get a good lawyer, teach the driver a lesson, and drive what you love, not what you feel.

Good luck.
Old 01-12-15, 07:23 PM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I do not know what I would get, maybe a LX 570, Tahoe or a Peterbuilt! I am driving a new rental Tahoe now and it is a nice SUV although a pain to park and i will probably take off a mirror coming in and out of my garage! I will greatly miss the reliability and comfort of my Lexus if I leave this brand not to mention the service department.

Interestingly, my Lexus held up much better than the Oldsmobile 98 that hit me. The impact sheared my bumper and hood like a knife. If I keep my car, I hope she will be the same car as before.

I just keep imaging that car coming straight at my door and crushing my body. If I had an SUV, it seems like it would hit at my legs and feet which might break but not be deadly.
Old 01-12-15, 09:05 PM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to try a big SUV I recommend you give a fully option loaded, 2011 and newer Infiniti QX56 (now known as QX80). It's nearly 6000 lbs and drives like a luxury car not a truck. The deluxe touring option is key to super stable body while driving, makes it handle like a smaller vehicle. I think the height and weight and stability of body might make this a safer vehicle if another vehicle t bones you again.

Glad your safe!
Old 01-12-15, 10:05 PM
baam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trade-Offs

Another way to look at this is, in what situations might your LS save your butt, or get you out of trouble via better handling, brakes, etc. A big high riding SUV does give you a "tank" sense of size (i also have a Suburban) but it certainly don't stop or handle anything like my LS460. Then again, it's really hard to get those 4' x 8' sheets of plywood in the LS! Every option has it's trade-offs.
Old 01-12-15, 10:10 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhw2
If you want to try a big SUV I recommend you give a fully option loaded, 2011 and newer Infiniti QX56 (now known as QX80). It's nearly 6000 lbs and drives like a luxury car not a truck. The deluxe touring option is key to super stable body while driving, makes it handle like a smaller vehicle. I think the height and weight and stability of body might make this a safer vehicle if another vehicle t bones you again.

Glad your safe!
My friend had QX80 and sold it after a year because of reliability issues. It's difficult because with LS we are used to a completely different reliability standard :-) LX would be a great choice but the current model is too old and missing some important standard features like Blind Spot Monitor, HUD, inteligent LED headlight system etc.
Old 01-13-15, 04:20 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think your are still in a bit of a shock after the accident, which is normal.
50mph T bone would be hard on any car. The bigger the car the more it will absorb.
In an suv, say a Tahoe. While the damage would be smaller, there is a bit of a chance the truck would flip, so now you have other things to worry about. Occupants flying around and stuff like that. Also if the truck flips will it be in a way of another car traveling near at the same time.

You can not prevent other peoples negligence, but you can be more aware of your surroundings.

I'd say, take a vacation. Read a good book and reset your mind. Make a decision after that.

Good luck.
Be safe.
Old 01-13-15, 08:59 AM
Hwyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really glad to hear you're ok. Having a larger vehicle does create a margin of safety, however, being aware of your surroundings nails it. Defensive driving is key to avoiding accidents. The two Issues about intersections are approach and sitting at a red light. Some advise I was told a while back: Approach requires that you have a good line of sight of approaching side traffic so you can see the impending hazard. If there is minimal line of sight it is best to (cover your brake) slow to speed you feel safe so as to make an evasive maneuver to avoid someone running the red light. While sitting at a red light where there are two lanes provided for the same direction of travel, and there is another car next to you, let the other car go first when the light changes to green. Whether a you have single or multiple lanes it is best to accelerate slowly into an intersection when the signal phase has tuned green. Red lights are usually ran when they have just changed for cross traffic.

Advice seems pretty obvious, but for me as well hard to put in practice all the time.
I'm very happy to hear you're ok!
Old 01-14-15, 04:08 PM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I do look both ways before entering an intersection however this particular intersection has bushes blocking the view until you get out into the intersection itself. Being T-Boned has always been a concern to me since there is such little protection with just a door between the approaching car and the driver so this just made my fear a reality. I also realize how safe the LS really is and how well it handles, brakes and protects its occupants which was one of its selling points to me. I am 49 years old and luckily this is first time I was in a side collision. I can't count how many times I have had to slam on the brakes for something or swerve to miss someone or something. I do miss my car and how well it rides. I think time does heal all wounds and I will be back in my LS enjoying it again after I get done dealing with their insurance company.
Old 01-14-15, 05:44 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cregeis
Thanks everyone for the good advice. I do look both ways before entering an intersection however this particular intersection has bushes blocking the view until you get out into the intersection itself. Being T-Boned has always been a concern to me since there is such little protection with just a door between the approaching car and the driver so this just made my fear a reality. I also realize how safe the LS really is and how well it handles, brakes and protects its occupants which was one of its selling points to me. I am 49 years old and luckily this is first time I was in a side collision. I can't count how many times I have had to slam on the brakes for something or swerve to miss someone or something. I do miss my car and how well it rides. I think time does heal all wounds and I will be back in my LS enjoying it again after I get done dealing with their insurance company.
Glad you ok, I can give two testimonies on how safe the LS is after having been in two accidents (not my fault) and the second accident in the 460 saved me from serious injury more than the 430 accident. The safety marketing is not all pretty writing and lives up to their claims. Good thing your car was not totaled so you will back in your car soon and this will be behind you, pic collage of what I walked away from in 2013 with little soreness.
Attached Thumbnails Need your advice after accident!-image-2844312143.jpg  
Old 01-14-15, 09:07 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Then there are negligent deer, who can run out in front of you at night and total your car instantly.

Yes, a large SUV might be safer, but what about the redneck kid in the lifted pickup truck T-boning your to-him "little SUV"? Or the fact that commercial truck driver quality gets just a little bit worse (on average) each year, see the Michigan I-94 pileup video
for details of that frightening fact.

Quick Reply: Need your advice after accident!