LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LED front turn signal bulbs DIY with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 07:25 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Default LED front turn signal bulbs DIY with pics

Been busy today. Prior to finishing the install/wiring of my LED Turn Signal Mirrors, I installed a set of front turn signal bulbs which I purchased on Ebay, as seen here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131263946459?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

First thing you need to do is remove the plastic under hood engine covers which will give acces to the turn signal bulb housings as seen here:

Remove the plastic covers of the housings by turning counter-clockwise. After removing the covers, it will expose the bulb connectors which you also remove by turning counter-clockwise and then removing the amber bulbs.

After removing the bulbs, you simply plug in the resistor module into the socket where the bulb was. Then, insert the led bulb and the silicon socket it came with, into the lens housing. Everything including the resistor module, all get stuffed/inserted into the housing.

They look amazing..... nice and bright. They are quality as well, Cree bulbs and manufactured by JDM.

I have a video of them in action, but haven't figured out how to upload it.
The following users liked this post:
ALK (07-10-22)
Old 01-09-15, 07:44 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Oh man, this is awesome. I have been wanting to do this forever but couldn't figure out the best route to go...if you confirm this is the way to go, I'm going that route too...use your phone youtube app, then simply upload. Then copy the link and post it..done. Great job!!
Old 01-09-15, 07:46 AM
ShahG
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Video please! I have been wanting to do this too
Old 01-09-15, 08:24 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

diamente (05-15-18)
Old 01-09-15, 09:22 AM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

says the video is private....

how much were they? I'm at work and don't have access to ebay, but I'm quite curious.
Old 01-09-15, 09:31 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Yep same here says video private. You'll need to edit the video to be seen by public.
Old 01-09-15, 09:47 AM
cwillgo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the great writeup. Time to add this to my list!
Old 01-09-15, 11:12 AM
CJITTY

PRIVATE..UGHHHH, Cmon Man lol
Old 01-09-15, 11:53 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Noob alert! LOL. Sorry guys. I changed to "public".

Hope it works now. Never had to resort to Youtube to post vids before....
Old 01-09-15, 11:54 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
says the video is private....

how much were they? I'm at work and don't have access to ebay, but I'm quite curious.
They were 36.79 with free shipping.
Old 01-09-15, 12:17 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by roadfrog
They were 36.79 with free shipping.
Awesome.
Thanks.

So you definitely find these brighter than the OEM bulbs?
Old 01-09-15, 01:18 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
Awesome.
Thanks.

So you definitely find these brighter than the OEM bulbs?
Not positive cuz I never really paid attention to the old ones, but they are definitely bright and clear.
Old 01-09-15, 01:28 PM
CJITTY

Looks good although its hard to see the brightness on camera. I think they look slightly dimmer than our filament bulbs to be honest....but it does look good and will probably do the job. and this is also a potentially good option for rear turn signals if you have oem tails. Folks would need two sets since each rear housing has two turn signal bulbs which I believe are 921 style. so for about $100, you could get 3 sets..not too shabby. My only gripe about my aftermarket led tails is the turn signal could be much brighter but at night these tails look awesome. I think I found my next mod with your video though..just when I thought I was done. Dahm you Roadfrog...Dahmmmm youuuuuuuuuuuu! lol
diamente (05-15-18)
Old 01-09-15, 03:51 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Great mod and write up as always! I will be doing this one soon and will add this to the FAQ sticky under Lighting.
Old 01-10-15, 09:33 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Looks good although its hard to see the brightness on camera. I think they look slightly dimmer than our filament bulbs to be honest....but it does look good and will probably do the job. and this is also a potentially good option for rear turn signals if you have oem tails. Folks would need two sets since each rear housing has two turn signal bulbs which I believe are 921 style. so for about $100, you could get 3 sets..not too shabby. My only gripe about my aftermarket led tails is the turn signal could be much brighter but at night these tails look awesome. I think I found my next mod with your video though..just when I thought I was done. Dahm you Roadfrog...Dahmmmm youuuuuuuuuuuu! lol
LOL. Sorry man! It happens.....

Anyway, last night I paid more attention to the brightness as I was driving around. I am confident now that these LEDS are at least as bright as the stock filaments. I can see reflections of them on cars in front of me. One things for sure..........they are a HELL of a lot brighter than the LED rear turn signals that came with my Avest tail lights. They are almost pink when they flash. But DANG they look nice. I just would have preferred that they had used amber bulbs instead of red.

FWIW, the Cree LED bulbs that came with the package are really beefy. Lots of side led's and one very large projection LED on the front. They are not like the photo on the box. More like this:

Quick Reply: LED front turn signal bulbs DIY with pics