LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Muffler Delete. Finally!

Old 01-08-15, 01:24 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Drone is the worst..had an old TL Type S that I did some muffler work and got so damn frustrated with that drone at highway speeds, that I put the stock muffler back on lol..but that delete sounds awesome and I bet even better at WOT getting on an on ramp...folks next to you seeing a luxury car would be like #DaFuuuuuu
Old 01-08-15, 06:10 PM
ShahG
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys would you mind elaborating on what you mean by droning? I am assuming its a humming noise while highway cruising? Or vibrations in the car because of the delete? A little confused.

I am taking the car Vermont tomorrow, a 7 hour drive should be enough to test out.
The following users liked this post:
Santa01 (09-21-20)
Old 01-08-15, 06:23 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ShahG
Guys would you mind elaborating on what you mean by droning? I am assuming its a humming noise while highway cruising? Or vibrations in the car because of the delete? A little confused.

I am taking the car Vermont tomorrow, a 7 hour drive should be enough to test out.
They mean the noise inside the car when you're driving because of tbe mod. A terrible way for me to try and explain would be like saying it's like a subwoofer on a LOW tone that's loud. Just constant low end noise inside. Some if not most don't like it being loud. The second my warranty ends I'm doing this to mine

I think it sounds awesome and congrats.

-Joe
Old 01-08-15, 06:30 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jamodeo
They mean the noise inside the car when you're driving because of tbe mod. A terrible way for me to try and explain would be like saying it's like a subwoofer on a LOW tone that's loud. Just constant low end noise inside. Some if not most don't like it being loud. The second my warranty ends I'm doing this to mine

I think it sounds awesome and congrats.

-Joe
Exactly, if ShahG doesn't know what it is then he isn't experiencing it at all, lol! in my 430 i had a banging headache by the time i got home from the muffler shop!

and the same with me if i don't already have another car lined up, i will probably be cutting these bad boys off!
Old 01-09-15, 02:02 AM
ShahG
Rookie

Originally Posted by peteybabes
Exactly, if ShahG doesn't know what it is then he isn't experiencing it at all, lol! in my 430 i had a banging headache by the time i got home from the muffler shop!

and the same with me if i don't already have another car lined up, i will probably be cutting these bad boys off!
Haha Exactly! I am just happy I got such a satisfactory sound from it, after searching for options and options, and even having a Megan Racing Exhaust! This beats it all.
Old 01-09-15, 01:10 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds awesome.

so is a 'muffler delete' as straightforward and simple as it sounds?

could most any shop tackle that? what's a general cost?
Old 01-09-15, 01:14 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my local shop would only charge me $50 to chop them and hang a small extension.
Santa01 (09-21-20)
Old 01-11-15, 11:26 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I deleted my mufflers and it drones. It DRONES BAD! More so at low rpm. Once on the highway it's fine. It's just getting around town. I'm thinking of adding a pair of manga flows
Santa01 (10-16-20)
Old 01-12-15, 07:46 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Guys - I am thinking about creating a set of straight pipes that bolt right to the flange and attach to the stock hangers. And of course exhaust at the same location. So, it would be easy to remove the stock pipes with mufflers, and bolt the straight pipes in.

In that way, if I don't like the sound, I can simply put the stock mufflers back on, no problem. Easily reversible. Taking it to a muffler shop and having them cut-off my mufflers and welding a straight pipe in is not appealing to me, since it's not easily reversible.

Is there any interest from anyone here that would want the same?
AMACK (01-25-20)
Old 01-12-15, 11:08 AM
ShahG
Rookie

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Guys - I am thinking about creating a set of straight pipes that bolt right to the flange and attach to the stock hangers. And of course exhaust at the same location. So, it would be easy to remove the stock pipes with mufflers, and bolt the straight pipes in.

In that way, if I don't like the sound, I can simply put the stock mufflers back on, no problem. Easily reversible. Taking it to a muffler shop and having them cut-off my mufflers and welding a straight pipe in is not appealing to me, since it's not easily reversible.

Is there any interest from anyone here that would want the same?
I have done the same! I had a Megan Racing Exhaust on this. I cut the mufflers off this, and welded the straight pipes from there. So I have the original Exhaust for simple plug and play installation.

Last edited by ShahG; 01-12-15 at 11:48 AM.
Santa01 (09-23-20)
Old 01-14-15, 09:36 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any loss in performance?
Old 01-14-15, 03:25 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by maying856
Any loss in performance?
All gain from my butt dyno. It has plenty of low end grunt. But I feel an increase in power in the top end
Old 01-15-15, 08:31 PM
ShahG
Rookie

Originally Posted by lbintab
All gain from my butt dyno. It has plenty of low end grunt. But I feel an increase in power in the top end
Same here, I feel a power increase.
Old 01-15-15, 08:41 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by ShahG
Same here, I feel a power increase.
Statistically, a muffler delete will rob you at the low end (torque) and give you a little at the high end....typically 2-5 hp, which is impossible to feel. The "Butt Dyno" is usually caused by the increased sound. I suppose the LS could be the exception, but I doubt it.

I remember a test Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine did years ago (I have an 88 Ford Fox body 5.0 in my stable). Anyways, they tested about 10 different mufflers (Dynomax, Magnaflow etc), and also dyno'ed without mufflers, some with cats, some without. without exception the muffler deleted tests came out lower hp than with mufflers.

Cars needd some back pressure to run properly....especially computer/EFI controlled ones. My other concern would be whether the computer throws a code. Anyone have that?

Last edited by roadfrog; 01-15-15 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-15-15, 08:46 PM
ShahG
Rookie

So here is a cabin video! Judge for yourself. I am absolutely in love with it. The startup sound is always amazing, and compliments just add.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS460 Muffler Delete. Finally!