LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Keeping '07 LS, adding a fun car

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 06:00 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Keeping '07 LS, adding a fun car

Recently started considering trading in my LS for something a little sportier like a new GS 350. But the idea of sweating door dings and deer strikes on a $50k + car didn't appeal to me. However, adding a fairly inexpensive fun car did. I looked at and drove a few of these new cars, including a Golf GTI, a Miata, Focus ST, Scion FRS and a new Subaru WRX. I was looking for basically equipped cars to keep it cheap. No leather, fancy infotainment, nav or other fripperies needed.

Since depreciation on my '07 LS 460 is slowing now, I figured buying a sporty car with low depreciation might result in me owning two cars with about the same, or likely less, total annual depreciation than a new GS. Plus, I could have a sporty car without having to concerned about noise, comfort and ride. The Austin area has tons of great country roads.

My preference for a Japanese brand was a limiting factor. The Golf GTI I drove had a dual clutch automatic. That is a great gearbox and the GTI is comfortable and quiet enough to road trip. But it's a VW and depreciation is a negative.

The Focus ST would have been a good choice except the heavy depreciation and having to deal with a Ford dealership.

If I could have found a base Miata I might have bought one. Depreciation is low, plus they're a hoot to drive.

The Scion FRS was impressive. Like a Miata, it has a rough and ready feel to it. I almost bought one.

Last up was the Subaru WRX. These cars have a new engine, transmission and platform for 2015 and have been in very short supply this year. The dealer had a base model in stock. One drive decided it, I bought it on the spot. All wheel drive, a potent 2.0 turbo and a 6 speed manual did it for me. Depreciation on these cars is as low as it gets. Used ones have always been in great demand. Retail prices on one and even two year old ones isn't that much less than a new one. It's very stiff riding, fairly noisy, has a lousy radio, thin carpet and it's sort of ugly. I knew all that when I wrote the check. I don't care. It does what I wanted. It's total fun to drive. In its favor, the structure is impressively solid and the seat and driving position are ideal for me. I won't be doing any "tuning" or mods on this car. It's fine as is.

One thing not often mentioned about this group of cars is that they are all fun and rewarding without having to drive at reckless speeds. Especially the Miata and FRS. Being close to the ground in a small sports car makes 70 mph feel fairly fast on a two lane.
Old 01-05-15, 06:50 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Edit: congrats on the WRX. I never driven one but I'm sure it's a fun car. Subaru's off late have become very reliable.

My vote would be for a Miata. It's probably the most fun car to drive next to my Spyder.
It's reliable, cheap to own and there are many inexpensive mods for it. Also the ownership experience with others is second to none. Being a convertible is another big plus.
I helped a good friend of mine pick up a 2010 and I was quiet impressed with the fun factor.
The reason why these cars are fun to drive is mainly because you can go though the gears and enjoy the handling without having to drive at reckless speeds. Cars that have too much horse power need to be on the boil and at it's limits to enjoy them which you cant do on the street.
Light weight cars are always more fun to toss around and it will give you that gokart feel you don't get in a big car.

My second vote would be the FRS because it's supposedly a good driver. Whatever you decide to get make sure it's RWD.

Last would be the GTI because of it's terrible VW reliability. I owned a the original Rabbit GTI long ago, that car was fun but being FWD it was limiting.

Last edited by Devh; 01-05-15 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 07:07 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Devh
My vote would be for a Miata. It's probably the most fun car to drive next to my Spyder.
It's reliable, cheap to own and there are many inexpensive mods for it. Also the ownership experience with others is second to none. Being a convertible is another big plus.
I helped a good friend of mine pick up a 2010 and I was quiet impressed with the fun factor.
The reason why these cars are fun to drive is mainly because you can go though the gears and enjoy the handling without having to drive at reckless speeds. Cars that have too much horse power need to be on the boil and at it's limits to enjoy them which you cant do on the street.
Light weight cars are always more fun to toss around and it will give you that gokart feel you don't get in a big car.

My second vote would be the FRS because it's supposedly a good driver. Whatever you decide to get make sure it's RWD.

Last would be the GTI because of it's terrible VW reliability. I owned a the original Rabbit GTI long ago, that car was fun but being FWD it was limiting.

Got the WRX but it probably would have been a new Miata if they had a basic model in stock. The WRX doesn't really do the rwd tail out fun thing but neither does it understeer. Hard on the throttle out of a tight turn, that awd and summer tires will open your eyes.
Old 01-05-15, 07:22 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by robert1408
Got the WRX but it probably would have been a new Miata if they had a basic model in stock. The WRX doesn't really do the rwd tail out fun thing but neither does it understeer. Hard on the throttle out of a tight turn, that awd and summer tires will open your eyes.
I'm sure it is.
The current MX5 is getting long in the tooth anyway.
I read somewhere that the new MX is going to be even more focused with a curb weight of 2200 pounds. If so that would be impressive.
Old 01-05-15, 07:59 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats! The WRX is a great choice, IMHO.

You've got the plush luxo-cruiser covered with your LS. The WRX will be a really fun change of pace especially with its manual tranny. Not to mention that it'll rock winter.

Time to ring up Cobb Tuning!

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-Acc...p3-sub-004.htm
Old 01-05-15, 08:02 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

When I read your first paragraph I thought to myself I hope he gets the WRX, and sure enough you did.

Great compromise to keep your cake and eat it too!

Congrats on the new additional to the stable. I wish you good luck with it.
Old 01-06-15, 04:49 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Devh
I'm sure it is.
The current MX5 is getting long in the tooth anyway.
I read somewhere that the new MX is going to be even more focused with a curb weight of 2200 pounds. If so that would be impressive.
I can't wait to see the new one! Even at 62 I can still get in and out of these cars ok. May yet get one in 2 years or so.
Old 01-06-15, 05:11 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Congrats! The WRX is a great choice, IMHO.

You've got the plush luxo-cruiser covered with your LS. The WRX will be a really fun change of pace especially with its manual tranny. Not to mention that it'll rock winter.

Time to ring up Cobb Tuning!

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-Acc...p3-sub-004.htm
You're right about this car for winter. It came with Dunlop summers but I put Michelin Pilot a/s 3 tires on. Then drove through that winter storm last week to New Mexico from West Texas. AWD was effective to say the least! Cobb is fun to look at but I'll likely skip tuning and mods. A stock WRX is more capable than I am. Plus, warranty issues and resale potential are a concern for me.
Old 01-06-15, 05:21 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
When I read your first paragraph I thought to myself I hope he gets the WRX, and sure enough you did.

Great compromise to keep your cake and eat it too!

Congrats on the new additional to the stable. I wish you good luck with it.
Thanks! Yes, It's definitely a compromise. Maybe Subaru will put this engine in the BRZ sometime. I'd like to see that compromise. Or maybe the Legacy GT will be re-introduced. Now there's a car I would like to drive.
Old 01-06-15, 07:16 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I did it the opposite way. I had the sports car first, then added the limo. I have a 1993 Mazda RX-7 (twin turbo). It is like a tin can tank, that needs continuous baby-sitting to keep it running. But when it runs, it is a terror. And no, it's not stock!
Old 01-06-15, 08:23 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Good move. You'll certainly enjoy the WRX. The Miata wouldn't have been a bad choice either.
Old 01-06-15, 08:35 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks! Yes, It's definitely a compromise. Maybe Subaru will put this engine in the BRZ sometime. I'd like to see that compromise. Or maybe the Legacy GT will be re-introduced. Now there's a car I would like to drive.
i said the same thing that nospinzone did! i have driven both the WRX and the WRX STI and i would take the WRX because it is easier to drive and the clutch feel is much better!

congrats!
Old 01-06-15, 03:14 PM
Devh
Racer

I can't wait to see the new one! Even at 62 I can still get in and out of these cars ok. May yet get one in 2 years or so.
These cars were meant for seniors with a death wish. As a young man attending Spyder meets ten years ago I thought I thought I stumbled onto a legionnaires convention. These old guys in the mid 60s and early 70s could drive with all of the passion they had in their 20s.
Old 01-07-15, 04:47 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Fun

Having a fun car is great!
Attached Thumbnails Keeping '07 LS, adding a fun car-racecar91714-003.jpg