LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Catastrophic Engine Failure from recalled cracked valves

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 11:13 PM
lalaura
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catastrophic Engine Failure from recalled cracked valves

Has anyone had a problem like this? I didn't take my car in on a valve re-call as my Mother was very ill. It resulted in a worse case scenario of total loss of all power, cracked valves destroyed 1 engine block. I was fortunate to be on a road near home with no traffic, coasted to shoulder: a highway, I'd have caused a crash. Lexus fixed it-3 wks, for free. Went to pick it up & it wouldn't start, so they stuck me w/ a big bill for a new starter. Now, at 91,000 miles I need new headlights-which is very expensive. I've never had to replace headlights in a car before so I wonder if the engine problem surged them & caused an early burn out. The car hasn't been 100% since their repairs but it's no longer under warranty & I can't afford a new one right now. I know nothing about cars or repairs & costs, so I'm at a disadvantage to know what they should have done & it seems one thing after another since that major failure. Also, since the engine blow-up, I've had to replace my battery twice, which is no where near normal

Last edited by lalaura; 01-03-15 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 01-04-15, 05:16 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Lexus repairs normally have a 12 month warranty. Talk to the service manager. If you get nowhere talk to general manager. If they fail you contact Lexus customer service. They have never failed me. Oem Headlight bulbs can be had for less than $100 a pair on eBay and follow the diy instructions posted in the FAQ Sticky thread to replace them assuming it is just the bulbs..easy
Old 01-04-15, 06:15 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Another thing to consider is finding a good independent mechanic in your area. They will do things such as starter, battery and headlight replacement much cheaper. Even a Toyota dealer will be less expensive than a Lexus dealer.

You could post your location in the Florida Lexus Club forum and ask for recommendations on a good independent mechanic.

It is unlikely that the engine failure caused the headlight problem or the starter problem. These items have failed as reported by other members on this forum.
Old 01-04-15, 01:22 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

What was the outcome of the repair. Did they replace the old engine with a new one or did they rebuild the existing engine. It sounds like you had valves that dropped and damaged the pistons.
Old 01-04-15, 03:58 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

It's unlikely that any of these were caused by the engine failure. But if they messed up putting everything back together, that might have produced subsequent mechanical issues (starter). The valve spring recall was several years ago - you didn't get it done until recently? What do you mean by replace the headlights? The bulbs?
Old 01-04-15, 04:42 PM
lalaura
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it was about 1 year or so ago that I had the valves crack and mess up the engine. They replace 1 of 2 engine blocks..there's about 3 pages of parts. But, it was strange that on a car with 60000 miles or less (but I was over 3 yrs on the warranty) the starter would fail at the dealership after it came out of the repair bay and before I touched it. I've just never had to replace bulbs in any car. And, yes, you're right- I'm having the headlight work done locally at the Toyota dealership. They quoted $730 and Lexus told me the bulbs were $290 each and I'd need 4: both Toyota and Lexus are taking the bumper off to change the bulbs, even though I told them on the Lexus Forum you could do it another way if it was just the bulbs. They say their book only gives them the option of removing the bumper. Can anything else go wrong from them removing the bumper and putting it back? I do know and the store that sold me my last car battery that it's unusual to go through 2 new quality batteries in less than 2 years, so something they did, or neglected to do, has to affect it. Since it's not specific, it's hard to point a finger at Lexus but the car has never been the same since they took it apart. They told me the parts alone were over $20,000 but I looked up part prices when I had my service record and that is exaggerated. Thanks for the help guys. I like Lexus but I don't think my next car, when I can afford it, will be a Lexus. I've had problems with the wind noise, which they fixed with thicker glass and now I have wind noise and the window sometimes doesn't seal properly. But, I'm fortunate to have a good ride compared to so many other vehicles.
Old 01-04-15, 05:00 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by lalaura
Yes, it was about 1 year or so ago that I had the valves crack and mess up the engine. They replace 1 of 2 engine blocks..there's about 3 pages of parts. But, it was strange that on a car with 60000 miles or less (but I was over 3 yrs on the warranty) the starter would fail at the dealership after it came out of the repair bay and before I touched it. I've just never had to replace bulbs in any car. And, yes, you're right- I'm having the headlight work done locally at the Toyota dealership. They quoted $730 and Lexus told me the bulbs were $290 each and I'd need 4: both Toyota and Lexus are taking the bumper off to change the bulbs, even though I told them on the Lexus Forum you could do it another way if it was just the bulbs. They say their book only gives them the option of removing the bumper. Can anything else go wrong from them removing the bumper and putting it back? I do know and the store that sold me my last car battery that it's unusual to go through 2 new quality batteries in less than 2 years, so something they did, or neglected to do, has to affect it. Since it's not specific, it's hard to point a finger at Lexus but the car has never been the same since they took it apart. They told me the parts alone were over $20,000 but I looked up part prices when I had my service record and that is exaggerated. Thanks for the help guys. I like Lexus but I don't think my next car, when I can afford it, will be a Lexus. I've had problems with the wind noise, which they fixed with thicker glass and now I have wind noise and the window sometimes doesn't seal properly. But, I'm fortunate to have a good ride compared to so many other vehicles.
I have some follow up questions if you don't mind that way I can give you an educated guess.

1. Could you find out though the order if they replace the short block or the long block.

2. Also you mention that after you received the car from having the major engine work it had starting problems.
What did they do to remedy the problem? from reading your writing I think you indicated they replace the starter on your dime, is that correct?

3. Did both headlight bulbs go out at the same time?

4. Did the battery on both occasions suddenly go dead or was it hard starting ? Did you notice any unusual electrical anomalies ?

5. How does the engine run now. Does it idle smooth and drive as good as it did before the failure?

Last edited by Devh; 01-04-15 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 08:52 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. I like Lexus but I don't think my next car, when I can afford it, will be a Lexus. I've had problems with the wind noise, which they fixed with thicker glass and now I have wind noise and the window sometimes doesn't seal properly. But, I'm fortunate to have a good ride compared to so many other vehicles.

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...#ixzz3NxzUDGvj
As long as you understand that to get anything else in it's class, will be far worse.

Sorry to hear of all your issues. Good luck.
Old 01-05-15, 08:57 AM
lalaura
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your questions and interest: this was a unique situation for them...they called it a "worst case scenario". And, yes, my dime paid for the new starter....when it failed at the dealership as I was waiting for them to drive it around. They made me feel as if they were doing a huge favor to cover the items since I hadn't taken it in on the recall: in fact, it took them about 3-4 days to fully diagnose problem. I remembered the recall, raised that question. When they balked at paying, I told them had I been on the interstate and this happened, my estate or personal rep & attorney would probably have cost much more than these repairs. They caved immediately. Thank God.
Here's what they replaced, according to service record:
1 Gasket Kit, Engine O; 1 block assembly, short; 1 pipe sub-assy, oil D; 1 head, sub-assy, cylin;
1 valve, exhaust; 1 pump assy, water; 12 FIPG oil pan; 1 replaceable element; 2 super long life cool; 1 cover, heat exchange; 1 valve, exhaust; 2 valve, intake; 1 strainer, sub-assy, O; 1 ring, O; 1 plate,
oil pan baffle; 1 auto transmission kit; 8 spark plug; 1 short block comb: cylinder head. 9 oil. Their comments: "found valve spring broken & caused catastrophic engine failure. Replaced short block, drivers side cylinder head, & 4 valves. Valve spring recall completed (2 gasket, timing chain, 1 valve spring kit)
They charged me for an auto transmission flush (96.95) to flush out any metal shavings (I thought I shouldn't have paid that) I had the brake pads replaced and turned at my expense while they had it and they replaced the engine air filter and cabin filter at my expense also. Then, on the second ticket, when it wouldn't start for them to bring it around to me...they entered "guest states vehicle will not start" (guest never even saw the car!_) I was mistaken on the cost of the replacing the starter. It was $708.97 parts and $491.80 labor for $1200.77.The other things on the first ticket I paid were $785. - I just remember I had to pay about $2000.
The brakes, when I'm wearing summer sandals and can really feel the brake, seems to "catch" like it rolling over potatoes while I brake and I hear sounds that they claim they can't hear. I heard them mostly when taking dogs for a ride in the neighborhood-I'm at a low speed and have windows open and little other environmental noises. Since this repair, ( 18,000 miles) I've replaced my battery twice and now have this issue with the headlights.
The headlights I noticed 1 on 1 side was not lit, but then I'd check again and had the place where I get my tires rotated check and it was on. Later, it seemed like the lights weren't as bright. Then, while driving, the headlights would go totally black while driving. I noticed the instant this happened, the interior dash lights instantly dimmed by about 40%. It would only happen once in a while, I could turn lights all the way off and back on and they'd work. Now, they independently go dark multiple times in short drives-very dangerous. I now notice that 1 of the bulbs actually has the look that light bulbs when they "blow" out has - that darkened bulb look.
I will be happy when I can trade this car!! Thank you for your interest and expertise.
Old 01-05-15, 11:03 AM
Devh
Racer

Thanks for that bit of information.
It's all hindsight now but apparently the recall was not mandatory and you are not responsible for not getting the recall but you are responsible after your warranty contract is up and whatever work that was completed was good will as a result of a threatened law suit. You have to ask yourself if the other car manufactures would have been so kind.

Since the work on the car has been sanctioned then they are responsible to make sure the car is in functioning order. The dealerships are independently owned and not all of them are alike. One thing that I have noticed is that there is no honor amongst thieves in this industry. If the dealership has poor ethics then it will be reflected in the quality of the work. This has nothing to do with the vehicle make.

In regard to your electrical issue it seems that you have a bad regulator. It is the cause of the electrical anomalies like the diming of the dash, blown headlight and premature battery replacement by overcharging. You will need to get your charging system analyzed otherwise you risk more component failures.

Don't take this the wrong way but it seems that you are blaming the car manufacture for some of the choices you have made that could have been avoided. There is nothing wrong with this car as many of us are enjoying it with great satisfaction but just because a lemon turns up every now and then doesn't mean the grass is greener on the other side and you may find your self in a worse or same predicament. The fact that you got good will on someone else's dime (Lexus) is something I would look at as being extraordinary.
Just curious to know what other car make you would consider.

Last edited by Devh; 01-05-15 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 03:07 PM
Devh
Racer

In regard to your brake situation, it could be that you need your rotors turned as they might be warped.
The first thing to do is find a good independent or find yourself an alternative Lexus dealership.
There are two Lexus dealerships where I live and they are exact opposites of each either when it comes to service and customer care.
Old 01-05-15, 04:46 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Thanks for your questions and interest: this was a unique situation for them...they called it a "worst case scenario". ....... They made me feel as if they were doing a huge favor to cover the items since I hadn't taken it in on the recall: in fact, it took them about 3-4 days to fully diagnose problem. I remembered the recall, raised that question. When they balked at paying, I told them had I been on the interstate and this happened, my estate or personal rep & attorney would probably have cost much more than these repairs. They caved immediately. Thank God.

I will be happy when I can trade this car!! Thank you for your interest and expertise.
I have to echo Devh's sentiments. That recall was no more inconvenient than bringing your car in for an oil change, in fact it was even less so. Lexus provided a free loaner car, they filled your gas tank to the brim, and gave you a $500 credit for any service/product from any Lexus dealer. You didn't avail yourself of that and instead it cost you a lot of time and trouble, and cost Lexus if not $20,000 certainly close to that when you include the considerable labor expense.

Don't thank God for covering it, thank the NHTSA. The manufacturer is legally obligated to perform the recall if the vehicle is less than 10 years old after the date of recall (it wouldn't surprise me if the dealer was unaware of this).

Don't feel alone though. I know several people here posted when the recall was announced that they did not intend to have the recall performed. So there are certainly other ticking time bombs out there. Some may have gone off and we don't know about it. I appreciate that you posted your experience here.

I don't blame you for wanting to get rid of that particular car, I think I would feel the same. I wish you good luck if you keep it, or with whatever you move onto.
Old 01-06-15, 06:28 PM
lalaura
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I do appreciate Lexus dealership for honoring it. Lexus is about one and 1/2 hours from me and my Mother was critically ill in ICU another hour in the opposite direction for several months, then at a rehab and, unfortunately, died. So, I didn't even really read the recall info intently, but did save it in the "to do list". After she died, the car was my last thought.
I do agree that dealerships are different-everyone is very nice and offers the same Lexus treatment, but there is a difference in master mechanics. With my first Lexus, I traveled even farther, but am not physically able to do that now.
I had an Infinit years ago and was going to look at the Q70 or may go another direction with a Range Rover. I have looked at the new Lexus LS. I will probably buy from Lexus again, if I live long enough.Right now, trying to keep a lot of plates in the air and figure this problem out without spending a fortune.
I really appreciate your help, time and expertise.
Old 01-06-15, 06:50 PM
Devh
Racer

Thank you. I do appreciate Lexus dealership for honoring it. Lexus is about one and 1/2 hours from me and my Mother was critically ill in ICU another hour in the opposite direction for several months, then at a rehab and, unfortunately, died. So, I didn't even really read the recall info intently, but did save it in the "to do list". After she died, the car was my last thought.
I do agree that dealerships are different-everyone is very nice and offers the same Lexus treatment, but there is a difference in master mechanics. With my first Lexus, I traveled even farther, but am not physically able to do that now.
I had an Infinit years ago and was going to look at the Q70 or may go another direction with a Range Rover. I have looked at the new Lexus LS. I will probably buy from Lexus again, if I live long enough.Right now, trying to keep a lot of plates in the air and figure this problem out without spending a fortune.
I really appreciate your help, time and expertise.
I'm very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately contracts are contracts at the end of the day. I have seen Toyota cave when they were not legally obligated. It's Toyotas long game strategy of keeping you as a customer. Other manufactures are not so kind and if you want to see a guys ordeal that went viral take a look at this link.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/18/n...1-viral-video/

The Q70 is not a bad choice but the Range Rover is. Tata has done some major revamping of the Range Rover brand where Leyland motors, BMW and Ford couldn't but it is still one of the most unreliable vehicles in the world but as long as you have a warranty you need not worry.
Old 01-06-15, 07:38 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

but it is still one of the most unreliable vehicles in the world but as long as you have a warranty you need not worry.
Well I don't know.....the OP has made it clear several times that he is, or was unable to address the recall on his LS etc, so spending a bunch of time getting warranty work, is likely not the best idea. And that Range Rover WILL be seeing the dealership regualrly.

Quick Reply: Catastrophic Engine Failure from recalled cracked valves