LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A year later

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 07:35 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts
Default A year later

I purchased my Lexus a year ago with 72k miles on it and it's been a trouble free experience thus far (I put 14000 miles on it). For the first six months I just babied it...waxed it...and let it sit in my garage, but something happened around September...I decided to drive it. And drive it I have. I've put over ten thousand miles on it since September and I'm averaging somewhere around 500-600 miles per week.

All I've done to it this year is change the oil, did a full transmission service, changed the rear end fluid and did a coolant change. I also scored some excellent Toyo snow tires off of Craigslist for $200 bucks - they were in mint condition and they sold for $190 a piece, new.

I must say this forum has been an outstanding resource for this vehicle...learned how to do the wind noise fix on here and going forward any repairs I may need will be researched here first. So I'm looking forward to putting 30,000 trouble free miles on my car this year . I'm averaging 26 mpg and the thing drives great. Going forward, this thing is going to have a much harder life than the first 7 months I owned it - once I decide to start using a car, I put a UPS truck to shame - two kids, a dog, lot's of errands, big commute, wife, lot's of road trips. All I plan on doing now is keeping it clean and keeping it maintained. I want it to last at least until 200,00 miles.
Old 01-03-15, 08:30 AM
redlight30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a nice color and looks to be in awesome shape.
Old 01-03-15, 08:35 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redlight30
What a nice color and looks to be in awesome shape.
Thanks! I love the color, but it's a real pain to keep clean. The first drive after I wash it the rear is instantly covered in dust/dirt. These cars throw a lot of crap up onto the read ends.
Old 01-03-15, 09:38 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

This should be cross posted on the LS430 forum for all the chicken littles.
You get one guy that had a bad experience and immediately sounds the alarm posting on every forum and buyers guide until it becomes the truth. The reality is the LS460 like everything else including the LS400 had some teething issues that once resolved will become legendary as far as reliability and break new records for longevity. The Toyota trucks with similar motors have already gone the distance.
I'm a year in also and this car is a Toyota in every way which is what I have been spoiled on. It reminds me of a Camry I owned long ago that you didn't have to think about. It just does what it's expected to do. My warranty is running out and Lexus has been after me aggressively for an extended warranty leaving me voice messages like they are trying to sell me a time share.
Old 01-03-15, 09:50 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good stuff Doublebase. I just got my 09 LS460 AWD SWB in September with 72k miles on it so I'm only 3 months into the journey. Just out of curiosity, what did you do to the transmission? What was the rear fluid change you referred to?

Thanks.
Old 01-03-15, 09:51 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
This should be cross posted on the LS430 forum for all the chicken littles.
You get one guy that had a bad experience and immediately sounds the alarm posting on every forum and buyers guide until it becomes the truth. The reality is the LS460 like everything else including the LS400 had some teething issues that once resolved will become legendary as far as reliability and break new records for longevity. The Toyota trucks with similar motors have already gone the distance.
I'm a year in also and this car is a Toyota in every way which is what I have been spoiled on. It reminds me of a Camry I owned long ago that you didn't have to think about. It just does what it's expected to do. My warranty is running out and Lexus has been after me aggressively for an extended warranty leaving me voice messages like they are trying to sell me a time share.
Yeah and truthfully if I had problems with the car I'd say so, but 14,000 miles later and it's cost me $0.00.

Now like I said the first seven months I owned the car I didn't do much, but wax it and let it sit comfortably in my garage, but now? The thing is practically a taxi cab. And for me to commute 500-700 miles a week the thing has got to be cost effective...so far it has been that and much much more. And I've never received compliments about a car like I have with this thing, I doubt LS 430 owners experience the same thing.
Old 01-03-15, 09:55 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wayman28
Good stuff Doublebase. I just got my 09 LS460 AWD SWB in September with 72k miles on it so I'm only 3 months into the journey. Just out of curiosity, what did you do to the transmission? What was the rear fluid change you referred to?

Thanks.
I dropped the pan, cleaned the magnets, changed the filter and refilled it with WS fluid...then drain and refilled it a few weeks later to get as much new fluid in it as I could. I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself - or even having a local mechanic do it - I'd just have lexus do it (if you were considering it at all).

And the rear end service was just a simple drain and refill, with the correct synthetic fluid (this job is much easier and straight forward than the tranny). But then again you have the AWD model, so it will be a little more work.
Old 01-03-15, 10:17 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Nice thread. Glad you are enjoying the ride. Since I work from home, I don't drive my car all that much. But anytime there's an opportunity, I can't wait to get behind the wheel. It's a blast to drive and for me the difference in my former 430 and my current 460 . . . . I find myself driving much faster!
Old 01-03-15, 10:31 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Yeah and truthfully if I had problems with the car I'd say so, but 14,000 miles later and it's cost me $0.00.

Now like I said the first seven months I owned the car I didn't do much, but wax it and let it sit comfortably in my garage, but now? The thing is practically a taxi cab. And for me to commute 500-700 miles a week the thing has got to be cost effective...so far it has been that and much much more. And I've never received compliments about a car like I have with this thing, I doubt LS 430 owners experience the same thing.
My other Toyota gets too many complements and lookers because not many know what it is.
I never thought the LS460 would get complements because to me it looks very bland in comparison. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with that as I think all BMW sedans and Mercs are the same way. I never got any complements with the BMW.
Surprisingly the Lexus gets commented on which I never expected or even wanted.
Old 01-03-15, 11:50 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Smile

Beautiful LS and showroom clean. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-03-15, 12:21 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

My other Toyota gets too many complements and lookers because not many know what it is.
I never thought the LS460 would get complements because to me it looks very bland in comparison. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with that as I think all BMW sedans and Mercs are the same way. I never got any complements with the BMW.
Surprisingly the Lexus gets commented on which I never expected or even wanted.
What's your other Toyota?

With the LS 460 I too wasn't looking to stand out in this car - I've already been through that stuff with other cars and I wanted something a little more "low key" - but it turned out to be the opposite with this thing. I think it's one the best looking cars I've seen from the side and the rear...but I don't think it looks as good from the front.
Old 01-03-15, 12:22 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Beautiful LS and showroom clean. Keep up the good work.
Thanks, I do my best, but it's not easy in New England.
Old 01-03-15, 01:05 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
What's your other Toyota?

With the LS 460 I too wasn't looking to stand out in this car - I've already been through that stuff with other cars and I wanted something a little more "low key" - but it turned out to be the opposite with this thing. I think it's one the best looking cars I've seen from the side and the rear...but I don't think it looks as good from the front.
It's an MR2 Spyder.

It has a lot in common with the LS460 in that the owners of the previous model MR2 made up a lot of un factual nonsense when it was introduced and during the ownership. It's not a drag car, it's a focused handling car with no traction aids that coaxes you into becoming a better driver. When I say Toyota after someone asks who makes it I get the infamous look of disgust which makes me chuckle. It has almost 150k on her and drives good as new.
Old 01-03-15, 01:38 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

It's an MR2 Spyder.

It has a lot in common with the LS460 in that the owners of the previous model MR2 made up a lot of un factual nonsense when it was introduced and during the ownership. It's not a drag car, it's a focused handling car with no traction aids that coaxes you into becoming a better driver. When I say Toyota after someone asks who makes it I get the infamous look of disgust which makes me chuckle. It has almost 150k on her and drives good as new.
Nice! Looks like a fun car to drive.
Old 01-03-15, 04:16 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice update and sounds like you are still in love.. I know that feeling! My SWB 460 was the same color as yours and I loved it but I agree it is a pain to keep clean however I enjoyed keeping her clean.

Quick Reply: A year later